Il Porto, Gaithersburg and now in Frederick - Owner Alberto Cruz's Italian Comfort Food

Il Porto rocks.

I'll second that emotion. It is one of my go to places for lunch when I do not feel like waiting on line for a table at Il Pizzico. I usually order whatever the special is and am rarely disappointed. It is somewhat hidden is a typically soulless "North Potomac" strip mall development.

I'll give these folks a bump. Nice special in Gaithersburg today: 3 veal medallions topped with thin ham, tomato, and a bit of mozzarella in a lemon white wine sauce; it comes with a side of pasta w/ tomato sauce. This place serves simple, straght ahead, unadorned, solid Italian fare. If they were a football team, I'd say they know how to block and tackle.

This really is a neighborhood gem.  I don't know about calling it North Potomac, as it lies within the city limits for Gaithersburg (come to think of it, I live in the City of Gaithersburg too and it hasn't stopped me from getting mail addressed to North Potomac, but I digress).

Went there last night after not having been there for probably well over a year.  They have added a really nice huge outdoor seating area, and enlarged the dinning room again.  On a busy night, it used to be tough to get a table, I imagine it isn't hard anymore as they have a least doubled their seating.

The food is your standard American Italian offering, but made with care.  Last night I had chicken with artichokes and mushrooms, the chicken was pounded thin with a nice white wine sauce, my wife had linguine with clams, which was a very generous portion, and my mom had eggplant parm which she really liked.  When comparing to mamma lucia, I think this is better.  Entres  at Il Porto do not come with a salad, but the prices are much more reasonable than Mamma Lucia.