Repeal Day Ball (2008-) - Annual Fète Thrown by the DC Craft Bartender's Guild - 8th Annual Party Dec 3, 2015 at 8PM

derekmbrown

Hey Folks,

We have some tickets left to the hottest party in D.C. in 75 years! But they're not going to last. BUY TICKETS to REPEAL DAY! I look forward to toasting you there. Here's a teaser....

Drink to me only with good hard cider.
Or rye, or a Scotch highball.
Drink to me with any old thing,
Just as long as it's alcohol.
For now that the wets have won the day,
And prohibition is through,
To drink to me only with thine eyes
Is a hell of a thing to do.

MORE INFO...

On December 5th, The DC Craft Bartenders' Guild is inviting Washington area residents to party like it's 1933. The group, made up of DC's top mixologists, is hosting Washington's only Repeal Day party, taking place at The City Tavern Club from 8 P.M. to midnight. Priced at $80 per person if purchased before November 20th ($90 per person thereafter) with proceeds benefiting the Club's Preservation Fund and the Museum of the American Cocktail, this fundraising event honors the 75th anniversary of the date when the 18th Amendment - which established Prohibition in the United States - was repealed.

During the ball, guests will be treated to classic cocktails such as the Aviation, Bee's Knees and Pisco Punch recreated by the best in the business. Hors d'oeuvres will be provided throughout the night by the City Tavern Club while a 1930s jazz band, The Red Hot Rhythm Chiefs, sets the mood and provide the tunes for dancing. Locals mixology talent, including Owen Thompson (Bourbon), Todd Thrasher (PX), Gina Chersevani (EatBar) and Derek Brown (The Gibson), will be featured along side special guests Tony Abou-Ganim (Host of Fine Living Network's "Raising the Bar"), Jeffrey Morgenthaler (RepealDay.org founder) and other top bartenders from throughout the United States.

"Americans never stopped exercising their 'right' to have a drink, but after prohibition ended they could now do it out in the open. What a party that must have been - that's the mood we're recreating," says Dan Searing, Guild spokesperson.

Thanks to the vital support of our sponsors, we will be featuring drinks made by only quality brands, including Martin Millers Gin, Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur, Skyy Vodka, Willett Rye & Bourbon, Old Forester Bourbon, The Bitter Truth Bitters, Macallan Single Malt Scotch, Mt. Gay Rum and Fiji Water.

The City Tavern Club is located in one of the oldest buildings in DC, City Tavern, built in 1796. In addition to serving as President John Adams' headquarters while he was supervising the construction of the national capital, the historic building has also played host to numerous presidents and dignitaries. The City Tavern Club is located at 3206 M Street, NW in Washington, DC. For more information about the event or to buy tickets please visit repealday.org or www.dccraftbartendersguild.org.

The DC Craft Bartenders Guild is an active body of professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to craft bartending--its history and practice--and providing training and services to its members and the general public in keeping with our guiding principles of professionalism, knowledge, hospitality, outreach and civic engagement.

We have some tickets left to the hottest party in D.C. in 75 years! But they're not going to last. BUY TICKETS to REPEAL DAY! I look forward to toasting you there. Here's a teaser....

On December 5th, The DC Craft Bartenders' Guild is inviting Washington area residents to party like it's 1933. The group, made up of DC's top mixologists, is hosting Washington's only Repeal Day party, taking place at The City Tavern Club from 8 P.M. to midnight. Priced at $80 per person if purchased before November 20th ($90 per person thereafter) with proceeds benefiting the Club's Preservation Fund and the Museum of the American Cocktail, this fundraising event honors the 75th anniversary of the date when the 18th Amendment - which established Prohibition in the United States - was repealed.

Reminder that today is the last day to score tickets to the event before the price rises. Sounds like a blast. Who else is going?

I wonder if there wasn't also an uncelebrated holiday on December 6th, possibly known as "Regret Day" :lol: Just kidding.

Two years ago, the first DC Repeal Day celebration (organized by Derek Brown and Lonnie Bruner) was maybe 15 folks packed into the back room of Billy Martin's Tavern, enjoying a bit of come-as-you-are cameraderie in the shared appreciation of an unheralded anniversary.

My, how times have changed.

A secret hope of mine has been that 2008 would become the year that DC burst full-fledged onto the cocktail scene, and if last night was any indication, that time has come. Nearly 300(?) people flooded the ballroom of Georgetown's historic Revolutionary-era City Tavern Club for an evening of drinks and dancing, organized by the fledgling DC Craft Bartenders Guild in celebration of the 75th anniversary of the ratification of the 21st Amendment. With a live jazz band playing throughout the evening in the corner and the city's top mixologists ringing the flooer, the crowd was joined by such national beverage luminaries as ModernMixologist's Tony Abou-Ganim, Eric Seed of now-indispensible Haus Alpenz, LeNell Smothers (proprietor of NYC's favorite "brown likker" shop), and Oregon-based mixologist and Repeal Day founder Jeffrey Morgenthaler. I'd exhaust myself trying to list the numerous DC bar chefs who were mysteriously able to get time off on a Friday evening to enjoy themselves and the work of their colleagues. It was literally a three-and-a-half hour open bar of excellent cocktails from some of the finest hands in town, but it felt as if half that time had passed.

Somebody else, I'm sure, will have kept notes on each of the cocktails on offer, but they included Owen Thomson's opening cider punch - made from apples he personally pressed, Tony Abou-Ganim's uber-rich family recipe for the Tom & Jerry winter warmer (count 'em THREE Kitchen-Aids whirring along), and Todd Thrasher's magnificent spin on the pisco sour.

If you were there, you know how indescribably electric the atmosphere was. If you weren't, then at least rest assured that the craft of creating great cocktails is proudly resurgent in our fair city...and you've got 364 days until next year's party.

Simply the most fun I've ever had at a D.C. event party. No question.

I don't know if the City Tavern donated the space for the night or if it was paid for, but that place was the PERFECT venue for this crowd. Elegant, attractive, cozy and comfortable, it served our purposes grandly.

Major kudos to all concerned in getting this event to where it is. You all did D.C. proud. :lol:

Simply the most fun I've ever had at a D.C. event party. No question.

I don't know if the City Tavern donated the space for the night or if it was paid for, but that place was the PERFECT venue for this crowd. Elegant, attractive, cozy and comfortable, it served our purposes grandly.

Major kudos to all concerned in getting this event to where it is. You all did D.C. proud. smile.gif

I thought so too. Congrats to all the folks who made it happen. And who was that band? Along with the drinks, the space, the toasts (that character from Philly definitely has gift of gab), the vibe, the band was awesome. Seriously, I want to go see them play again soon.

It's almost that time again! Yikes, I have barely two weeks to sort out how to tie on a bowtie.

DC Craft Bartenders Guild

2nd Annual Repeal Day Ball

"Spirit of 76"

12-05-09 at PS7

black tie 

BUMP. Last I heard this was not yet sold out. If you are on the fence, find some of the pics and reviews from last year as it was about the greatest party ever. While I haven't heard a ton about this year's event, what I have heard suggests that they are trying to exceed that rip-roaring, ridiculously good time.

Last year, the attendees filled the main room of the City Tavern Club, and then some. Cocktail stations ringed the room to allow each bartender individual space to showcase their skills.

Want more photos? View Washingtonian's coverage of last year's ball. I can't easily describe how much that event exceeded my expectations. (And yes, I think I finally have the bowtie figured out, thanks.)

I want to add my appreciation to this thread. That was truly a fantastic party. Incredibly delicious, creative cocktails from all of the mixologists- and thank you to Peter Smith and his crew for wonderful food! I completely agree that this FAR exceeded my expectations.

It's heeeeeere again...

The advance ticket discount deadline is tonight (Monday, November 1): the DC Craft Bartenders Guild is offering up to $35 off admission to this year's Repeal Day Ball, to be held at the Maison Biltmore in Adams Morgan. Note that this year, the event will be held on Saturday, December 4, in order to avoid the school night.

Event and ticket purchase info can be found at repealdayball.com

[Note: General is only $85 and VIP is $125 - awesome deals! -goodeats]

Just had to stop by and talk up the Repeal Day Ball. My group had a blast. Can't wait for next year!

So, talk it up! (If you can cross out the words "Repeal Day Ball" and substitute the words "roasting marshmallows over the campfire", then you're not being specific enough. smile.gif )

We quit going as the ratio of visiting bartenders/brand ambassadors to local favorites rose dramatically.

Boy, what a difference a few years makes - scroll up and look at the posts from 2008: It sounded like the best party in town.

Maybe all good things become commercial?