Taylor Gourmet Deli, Local Sub Chain in Numerous Area Locations - All Stores Are Closing

You can complain and pick up some free-range eggs, jam, bread, asparagus, bacon and organic milk afterwards tomorrow:

Saturday, May 1, 9 AM to 12 PM. Opening Day of the 2010 Season at H Street FRESHFARM Market. Casey Patton of Taylor Gourmet cooks...from 10:30 to 11:15 AM...Location: 625 H St. NE (across from H St. Self Storage), Washington, D.C. 20002.

A friend treated us to a dinner of delivered Taylor Gourmet last night. We started out with fried risotto balls filled with mozzarella cheese. I thought it would be aranccini, but no more like a cross between that and a mozzarella stick. They came with marinara sauce and actually were fairly light with nice crunch on the outside and ooze inside.

We had the South Street with arugula- grilled. The bread was very good, crunchy outside with nice texture inside and good flavor. All the ingredients were tasty and not over shadowed by other ingredients. I really thought this was a great sandwich. I am looking forward to others, maybe something more messy when I can visit (didn't want soggy delivery). But was very pleased. Also pleased our friends are so close :lol:

BTW very good value, if you are buy I suggest going for the large and saving the other half for the next day considering it is only $2 more.

*BTW I didn't see Taylor Gourmet in the dining guide at either H St. or Mount Vernon... maybe I need my eyes checked.

Preaching to the choir. Can't tell you how many times I've gone looking for Matchbox in the DC guide.

(I'm gonna get deleted for this, I bet. :lol: )

Correct. :D

The Mount Vernon Triangle Taylor Gourmet was closed today because their bread delivery man had a car accident coming down from Philadelphia. ("He's okay!" says the sign. Reopening tomorrow at 11 AM.)

My first Taylor Gourmet experience was thir Tony Lukes' knockoff, the Patterson. Verdict, not Tony Lukes. The bread is really good so I will go back to try another less iconic set of toppings.

Tony Lukes or not, I had one for lunch Thursday and it was yummy - I will return for the very same iconic toppings.

I finally tried the Pattison Avenue last night. It may very well have been the best sandwich that I have ever had. There was just something about the way the flavors worked together and the quality of the bread that made it a great experience. And who ever came up with the idea of adding broccoli rabe is a genius. If I didn't have plans tonight, I would definitely go back for seconds…Especially since my girlfriend ended up eating half of my sandwich since she liked it so much more than the one she ordered.

My first Taylor Gourmet experience was thir Tony Lukes' knockoff, the Patterson. Verdict, not Tony Lukes. The bread is really good so I will go back to try another less iconic set of toppings.

I've seen DiNic's featured for this sandwich. I have no idea who invented it. I've only had it at DiNic's - it doesn't rock my world. Maybe I'll try the version at Tony Lukes.

ETA: they pile on the broccoli rabe at DiNic's and my wife had to pick hers off.

I've seen DiNic's featured for this sandwich. I have no idea who invented it. I've only had it at DiNic's - it doesn't rock my world. Maybe I'll try the version at Tony Lukes.

The sharpness of the cheese, the bitter note from the rabe, and the delicate flavor of the pork means you have to have the ratio just right for the sandwich to work. Taylor Gourmet so far seems to be pretty inconsistent with the ratios. Tony Luke's hits it spot on every time, but they are certainly not the only cheesesteak shop in Philly that makes the sandwich - though they are generally the most acclaimed.

The sharpness of the cheese, the bitter note from the rabe, and the delicate flavor of the pork means you have to have the ratio just right for the sandwich to work. Taylor Gourmet so far seems to be pretty inconsistent with the ratios. Tony Luke's hits it spot on every time, but they are certainly not the only cheesesteak shop in Philly that makes the sandwich - though they are generally the most acclaimed.

Here it is another month after the last post on this thread, and I have finally made the walk over to 5th and K for a 12-inch Pattison Ave sandwich. I walked it back to my office to give the ingredients a little time to meld.

Verdict: Delicious and filling. The pork is like Jerry Seinfeld on his eponymous show: Nominally the star, but really the straight man. The rabe and the provolone provide sharp notes that on some bites almost go too far, but never do. And that bread. Damn, what a roll. Outstanding.

And I had no problems with the ratio of ingredients. The sandwich was assembled perfectly.

I will be back - maybe to try one of those hoagies I watched get assembled, but at some point there will be another Pattison Ave in my future as well.

Tim Carman was raving about the new Cherry Street roast beef sandwich in City Paper last week, so decided to try it out last night at the H Street outpost. Unfortunately, I wasn't the fan that Carman is; in fact, I might say it was the most disappointing sandwich I've had at Taylor. That is not to say it's a bad sandwich, but it's mostly notable for its roasted garlic spread and massive pile of arugula than for its meat or double cream brie. In fact, the beef was rather nondescript and even slightly gristle-y in spots, and the brie barely noticeable. The spread had a nice garlicky flavor, but I didn't notice any of the red peppers that the picture shows, and the sandwich certainly didn't "drip" in the way he describes toward the end. Maybe this was just a fluke, but I'm not likely to try it again, and instead stick with those great pork sandwiches. (BTW, have you seen their new Web site? it's a little queasy-making.)

I would tend to agree on the Cherry Street. The sandwich I had this weekend was a very good sandwich, and the bread, roast beef and garlic spread were all good. The brie, however, was not a good choice, in my opinion, and was almost unnoticeable. I'll continue to stick with the Pattison Avenue (pork), the Broad Street (chicken cutlet and broccoli rabe) and the 9th Street Italian.

Gotta agree with the chorus on the current incarnation of the Cherry Street, but I wanted to reply to note that my sandwich today was nowhere close to the medium rare shown in the WCP photo. My sandwich had fully cooked beef (calling it medium well would be generous), which only served to make the sandwich more of a jumble of flavors that never truly come together. Anything is ok on that bread, but there are much better selections to be found on the menu.

Went today. Got the Market -- roast pork, roasted red peppers, arugula and mozzarella.

The roll is quite good, chewier than I expected but really to the tooth. The ingredients are all very good -- but the sandwich was not properly seasoned -- I am just talking salt, here. No salt available on the tables or up by the counter where you would expect to find it. Too busy to really ask since this was at the Bethesda location and I think this was Day Two for them being open. I need to try the classic italian cold cut version to really determine where they sit in the greater scheme of things.

I did talk with Casey (?) and asked if they were going to make something available with Taylor Pork roll, and he said they were indeed considering it (maybe open for breakfast?).

I'll be back, probably for take out and I'll work my way through the menu.

Spot on with the Pattison avenue today at lunch.

They're really humming on the operation - line wound around twice in front of the register and out the door, but it was still less than 10 minutes to the register from the end of the line 20 feet out the door, and 5 minutes after you ordered you had a sandwich.

They're going to be open 11a-10p, 7 days/week.

Spot on with the Pattison avenue today at lunch.

They're really humming on the operation - line wound around twice in front of the register and out the door, but it was still less than 10 minutes to the register from the end of the line 20 feet out the door, and 5 minutes after you ordered you had a sandwich.

They're going to be open 11a-10p, 7 days/week.

The large sandwich for $2 more is 2 meals.

I used the need to go to Barnes & Noble at lunch as an excuse to get carryout from Taylor. I chose the 9th Street Italian, no onions, add hot peppers. Wow. I am going to dabble in heresy here and state that I liked it better than a similar sandwich from the Italian Store. Liked the selection of Herr's potato chips, and the Boylan fountain sodas, too.

The large sandwich for $2 more is 2 meals.

I have the other half in the fridge for tomorrow. :(

I really hope they open one in Arlington. The dearth of non-pizza, non-asian delivery options is pretty severe, and there are a lot of yuppies (yours truly) who would be regular orderers.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Oh, I tried their risotto balls today.......................Wow....unbelievable. Made my day.

I haven't noticed line issues at the Bethesda location as this place is still catching on, but everyone else is right: The Pattison Ave is worth waiting for. Delicious. I craved a little bit more salt (which is only available from the box kosher salt used behind the counter--they poured some into a ketchup cup), but it was the best non-burger sandwich at a casual eatery that I can remember having locally (certainly Bethesda and maybe in DC). I just wonder if I'd like any of the non-pork options anywhere near as much I liked the Pattison Ave. But the bread does give it a wonderful edge over any other place. And I, too, love the Boylan fountain. Despite the dozen chip options, I'd prefer a different brand than Herr's, but you can't have it all. This will be a frequent option for us.

Pax,

Brian

I just wonder if I'd like any of the non-pork options anywhere near as much I liked the Pattison Ave. ... Despite the dozen chip options, I'd prefer a different brand than Herr's, but you can't have it all.

The 9th Street Italian, Kelly Drive, and Lombard Avenue are also worth ordering. And a Philly-style sandwich shop would be thrown out of town for having chips other than Herr's. Well, Charles Chips would be better, but they've been gone for 20 years. (yes, I know that they're still around but they've been sold and in and out of bankruptcy for 20 years, and the subsequent owners dorked with the recipe and now they're crap.)

I used to drive to the Italian store for my pre-NFL sandwich binge...now I head to Bethesda. Try the fried risotto balls, really good. I have not had any line issues on the Sundays that I have gone. I do not know when their peak is, but on Sunday AM at the Italian store, the wait could be 30 minutes to place an order..I liked Taylors overall hoagie selection better...any place that has spicy broccoli rabe on a hoagie is worth it!

I have not had any line issues on the Sundays that I have gone.

I waited about 25 minutes the first Sunday of the NFL season at the City Vista location while they filled a large (2 shopping bags full) special order. Was still totally worth it for a Pattison Ave.

I went there recently with a friend for lunch. Had the Wharton St. <shrug> I didn't think it was all that. Not enough roasted red peppers and pesto, way too much lettuce. The bread was great. I wouldn't run back, but I wouldn't decline if somebody suggested it.

More or less than Potbelly?

You know I wanted to like it more. The ingredients were good quality, but the bread was hard in different locations and different times of the day. And I love the kind of bread used for subs in Philadelphia's Little Italy!

I use to work in MD for several years, not to far from Gallo's Italian Grocery in District Heights, MD and my taste maybe be skewed towards that style of Italian subs. I think Gallo's had some of the best subs and sandwiches in the DC metro area.

You know I wanted to like it more. The ingredients were good quality, but the bread was hard in different locations and different times of the day. And I love the kind of bread used for subs in Philadelphia's Little Italy!

I use to work in MD for several years, not to far from Gallo's Italian Grocery in District Heights, MD and my taste maybe be skewed towards that style of Italian subs. I think Gallo's had some of the best subs and sandwiches in the DC metro area.

Potbelly is a totally different type of sandwich. It is like apples and oranges. I like potbelly for what it is...some people like subway. This is far and away better - at a different level. It starts with the bread - hard roll if like that kind of thing - and the sharp provolone. The ingredients in general are better than regular subshop fare.

They have ruined the Schuylkill Expressway by not only replacing the fresh mozzarella with the sharp provolone, but also adding lettuce and onion. In its prior simple incarnation it was well balanced with each element adding to the next, now it is just a mess – luckily I can get them to make it like they used to, but they are depriving others of a once great sandwich.

Potbelly is a totally different type of sandwich. It is like apples and oranges. I like potbelly for what it is...some people like subway. This is far and away better - at a different level. It starts with the bread - hard roll if like that kind of thing - and the sharp provolone. The ingredients in general are better than regular subshop fare.

My mistake. In the previous message I was saying I wanted to like Taylor Gourmet Deli more, not in comparison to Potbelly. Taylor is better than Potbelly.

My last few sandwiches, particularly the Front St. i had yesterday, have been sub-par. The reason is not the ingredients, but instead the total lack of care when making the sandwich. i can understand when the line is out the door that perhaps you lose some of the artistry, but when the place is empty, there's no excuse. Take your time and be thoughtful. Simply throwing all the ingredients inside a roll doesn't make for a good sandwich. That seems to be all they're doing now.

I'm sure they would have released this had Reitz not publicly exposed them. Certain of it. :)

FWIW I had the exact same issue that The Delicious had last week with my Pattison Avenue. Ingredients kinda dumped in the middle of the sandwich, a muddled mess with 3/4 of an inch on either side with no toppings at all. It was cold and soggy as well, but that probably had something to do with the fact that it was in the delivery guy's car a good half hour before I got it. If you ever call for delivery and they tell you they're "really busy", no matter how much you're jonesing for it, I'd pick another option for lunch as you will be disappointed. Waiting 1.5-2 hours for a sandwich to get delivered 6 blocks is not fun, and it really sucks if the sandwich is not half as good as it is on a normal day.

Scandal!? From the City Paper:

Why do we care if someone imports their bread?

OK, this is my first time back in a few months, post bread switch. It's still a nice sub/hoagie. But the bread, while still very good, is not quiiiite as chewy as the rolls they jettisoned for these. I understand their reasons for the change, but I'll miss the old rolls. Ah well.

I don't know. Have been a TG fan since they opened on Cap Hill but did notice a change in the roll for the worse without being able to put my finger on it until the City Paper piece came out.

Really and utterly disappointed by all this. Agree with all the "throwing together" comments on the board in recent months--really just ruins sandwiches that might otherwise be special. And, I've had that experience too many times when it wasn't very busy.

The "scandal" seems like something to care about to me. On one hand, sure I understand why they did it: to goose profits by saving money. That in itself is a fine objective if the market is maintained. But they were still heavily promoting the Sarcones link for weeks after the City Paper expose came out. Even now in Bethesda, they've finally put some tape over the Sarcone's shout out that was at the top of their menu boards over the register but the printed paper menus still claim the bread is what we now know it isn't. Shouldn't honesty (or at least a lack of blatant hypocrisy) matter even a bit? This place made its name by putting together really nice sandwiches Philly style with the bread a cornerstone of that. They screamed the Philly link and its authenticity through every channel (web, print menus, board menus) and with every interview they gave. Then they not only stopped trying too hard on the sandwiches but also outright lied to every customer that came through their doors. No apology. No acknowledgement of being outed as they were. No promise to learn from this and make it up to the customers who made them successful. Just plans to keep expanding a now flawed model. Sorry, have seen this movie before and it almost never ends well.

How can we be sure what other substitutions or misrepresentations they're making and will make? What a colossal bummer.

It's false advertisement. Misrepresentation. Probably actionable but I don't know how you can prove damages. There's always punitive damages to discourage them from blatantly ripping-off of the Sarcone brand.

I'd guess that Sarcones would need to be the one to bring a legal action since it was and is their brand that could be proven "harmed" but I wasn't thinking of it that way. TG didn't just misrepresent (aka lie). They then took the City Paper writer (and all their customers) for fools with the excuses offered when outed. Then, on top of all that, they basically thumb their noses at their customers by still not removing the Sarcones name from all materials and by still not coming clean with a public apology...or something. They could reinstate the Sarcones relationship and raise prices 10% or whatever if they need to. But, my sense is they'll do none of that. I weight food quality much more than ambiance and even service so long as it's adequate. It's all about the food. But, something about this seems to rise above that in a stinking-fish sort of way.

Are you so sure that the City Paper reporting is accurate? I know that Casey has a much different explanation than what was represented in the article.

I know personally that the owners of Taylor's are highly involved, deeply caring, and bring a stronger measure of integrity to their product than many restaurateurs I know. I also know that whatever measures they took in regards to their bread supply were genuinely well-intended and logistics-based, with no subterfuge intended whatsoever.

Pretty strong charges of malfeasance and criminal activity here.

It's not like they are serving domestic Angus/Wagyu blend and calling it Kobe at $50 a portion.

Or, committing tax fraud and stealing from their employees.

(Apparently, forgivable transgressions, unlike, say, calling A &J's Chinese dumplings dim sum).

Every time I deal with the office/professional/government world, I come across a lot more incorrect, misleading, or un-updated information that what restaurants are continually excoriated for on their websites, etc.

It's an eight dollar sandwich, people. And a delicious one at that.

I actually approve of a change to a local breadmaker. Seems like an environmentally friendly and a sound logistical move. I only found TG recently, so I probably never tried the old bread, so maybe it’s really as special as San Francisco sourdough bread and I’m missing out.

I’ll stop eating at TG when someone reports that the pork in Pattison Avenue fails to meet the USDA’s definition for pork.

It's not like they are serving domestic Angus/Wagyu blend and calling it Kobe at $50 a portion.

Every time I deal with the office/professional/government world, I come across a lot more incorrect, misleading, or un-updated information that what restaurants are continually excoriated for on their websites, etc.

It's exactly like serving domestic Angus/Wagyu blend and calling it Kobe - a case of misrepresentation. They say they serve X but they serve Y.

Feel free to start your own web-site to air your grievances regarding the office/professional/government world. Nevertheless, they are completely irrelevant to the alleged and what seems to be intentional misrepresentation by Taylor Gourmet Deli.

It's exactly likely serviing domestic Angus/Wagyu blend and calling it Kobe - a case of misrepresentation. They say they serve X but they serve Y.

Feel free to start your own web-site to air your grievances regarding the office/professional/government world. Nevertheless, they are completely irrelevant to the alleged and what seems to be intentional misrepresentation by Taylor Gourmet Deli.

Before this gets out of hand, one thought. Calmer heads prevail, calmer heads.. What about Restaurants that don't update changes with management or chefs, yet still sell it as part of their program. Taylor Gourmet got caught, thats their problem to deal with, but in terms with substitue bread? seems like if one were so 'Sarcone's' sensitive, yet didn't know there was a switch, then maybe one isn't as aware on Sarcone's in the first place. I, for one, have been to Sarconne's multiple times, blind folded with another seeded hoagie roll, I might not know the difference. It also seems like reading the reviews that many of the compliments revolve as well as to the ingredients within the Hoagie.