Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar, Capitol Hill - Chef Drew Trautmann is Back in the Saddle!

Article on the fire at Roll Call (subscription required). Mostly talks about the Cap Lounge, but a bit on Sonoma, with Eli quotation, at end. To summarize, he's worried & troubled by the 2 fires at the Lounge in less than 2 years.
If I had a business on that block, I'd be concerned too (but wasn't the first fire a little more than 2 years ago?).

Thanks for the early posts on our status yesterday. As noted, Sonoma wasn't affected by the fire, other than having Penn Ave. shut down for hours and missing delivery a couple critical keg deliveries... :angry:

Like most of DC, the block we inhabit is made up of densely packed, 100+ year-old buildings, that are, to say the least, highly combustible. Just witness the number of firetrucks dispatched to the scene yesterday.

We're glad everyone at CL is safe - it's a true DC institution and one of a small number of unpretentious Washington bars - and we hope they're back up and running soon.

Sonoma has always been one of our favorites from the day it opened. We had to sit outside last night for the first time, with no chance of reserving a table for a quick bite before enjoying watching the Mets win. Loved the bruschetta with the local ricotta, but perhaps a bit more crunch in some manner to the bread would have ruled. The real thing that brought us in was seeing a grilled mackerel dish on the menu. That was killer. Not overwhelmingly oily as you may consider a fish of its ilk to be if it sat around too long.

But, I have to say, what the fuck was up with the truffled peaches? Before I answer what I thought of the truffled peaches, I'd like to ask the DR crew to post what would come to their mind if they were to order a dish called "truffled peaches." I'm happy to tell you all about what we got once I know what people would have expected to get. Let's just say this was the first wacky-ass WTF I've ever had at Sonoma.

BTW, wines at Sonoma are always a bargain and interesting. It's rare that we'll even consider a glass these days considering how affordable their bottles are.

(TROLLING FOR MADD MEMBERS AND MADD LOBBYISTS: Maybe if there was a law in DC allowing me to take over my leftover unfinished wine off premises, I wouldn't have to try to finish everything before I leave!!!! Losers.)

Secondly...what the fuck was up with the truffled peaches? Before I answer what I thought of the truffled peaches, I'd like to ask the DR crew to post what would come to their mind if they were to order a dish called "truffled peaches." I'm happy to tell you all about what we got once I know what people would have expected to get. Let's just say this was the first wacky-ass WTF I've ever had at Sonoma.
I love the truffled baby peaches. They've had them since the beginning, but they were off the menu for a while. I didn't know what they were when I first had them and had to ask. So, I have to answer your question in reverse. I thought they were some kind of olive when I first saw them on the table.

I thought they were awesome. Note to self: find a place to order them online.
Most people either love - or hate - the truffled peaches. They're not for everyone, but they have a dedicated following.

What would be the point if everyone like them? I don't see a whole lot of consensus on any interesting ingredient or food.

But make up your own mind:

Print out this post, bring in into Sonoma today or this weekend (Sept 21/22/23), and we'll send a couple your way to try, free.

Most people either love - or hate - the truffled peaches. They're not for everyone, but they have a dedicated following.

What would be the point if everyone like them? I don't see a whole lot of consensus on any interesting ingredient or food.

Print out this post, bring in into Sonoma today or this weekend (Sept 21/22/23), and we'll send a couple your way to try, free.

Tony at Vermilion had them a while ago. I too, thought they were olives before I tasted them. I thought they were really good but I can easily understand how they could confuse people that simply read about them on a menu. Most people probably see them in their minds as fresh summer peaches fragranced with truffle oil. I'm sure a restaurant could label them "Truffled Baby Green Peaches", but is that too wordy and does it sound appetizing?

Before I answer what I thought of the truffled peaches, I'd like to ask the DR crew to post what would come to their mind if they were to order a dish called "truffled peaches."

I've been to Sonoma twice this week & didn't notice it on the menu. Am curious to know....

(TROLLING FOR MADD MEMBERS AND MADD LOBBYISTS: Maybe if there was a law in DC allowing me to take over my leftover unfinished wine off premises, I wouldn't have to try to finish everything before I leave!!!! Losers.)

For those interested, looks like DC bars wine doggie bags, but VA & MD both have laws on the books allowing it. Here's a website on the laws.

I've been to Sonoma twice this week & didn't notice it on the menu. Am curious to know....

For those interested, looks like DC bars wine doggie bags, but VA & MD both have laws on the books allowing it. Here's a website on the laws.

OK off subject - but it's interesting that in VA you may not bring wine to a restaurant, but at least we can take it out obviating the possibility of having to choose between over-consumption or waste :angry:

Years ago, when I was at Olives, we used to label unfinished bottles with the buyer's name and open date, vacuum pump them and keep them in our temperature controlled wine room. That way, at least, the guest could come back sometime in the next few days and drink "free" glasses of wine. It was a really good way to promote regular visits from our guests and I wish more places would practice this in DC....Mr. Hengst?

The Hill has a piece today that includes a review of Sonoma. I'm not sure where they got the information on truffled peaches, but it's wrong (isn't it?):

http://thehill.com/other/swank-2007-09-21.html

It’s also revealing of the pride that Sonoma’s employees seem to take in the restaurant. When my colleague and I express befuddlement at the peach truffles — which arrive at our place at the bar looking like giant olives — our server is more than happy to explain not only what they are (edible fungi, essentially) but where they grow (underground, Italy) and how they’re harvested (specially trained hounds). “Very decadent,” he says. He ain’t lying.

I'm not sure where they got the information on truffled peaches, but it's wrong (isn't it?):

http://thehill.com/other/swank-2007-09-21.html

No, The Hill is right-- in Italy peaches grow underground just like the apples and oranges. Furthermore, most of the grape varietals grow on underwater vines in fresh-water lakes. Once they're fully ripe, they explode creating an entire lake of Chianti. Pasta grows on trees above ground much like you'd expect, and tomato sauce comes from specially bred red chickens which lay ragu filled eggs when fed a steady diet of bay leaves and ground veal.

Sincerely,

B. Fudeld

No, The Hill is right-- in Italy peaches grow underground just like the apples and oranges. Furthermore, most of the grape varietals grow on underwater vines in fresh-water lakes. Once they're fully ripe, they explode creating an entire lake of Chianti. Pasta grows on trees above ground much like you'd expect, and tomato sauce comes from specially bred red chickens which lay ragu filled eggs when fed a steady diet of bay leaves and ground veal.

Sincerely,

B. Fudeld

:angry:. I figured somebody got truffles confused with truffled peaches, but who made the error and why didn't a fact-checker or editor catch it?

The Hill stinks. Looks like they could use someone new for the food beat...
I don't know what I was expecting, but it caught my attention nonetheless (probably because I saw it in the midst of the truffled peaches discussion here). I'm not sure how truffled peaches are preserved. Are they preserved in truffle oil? Are there actual truffles directly involved in some way? (That was the reason for my hesitation in the original post. I wondered if some intervening step was omitted in the description.)

I'm pleased to see the back and forth on the truffled peaches and what people think of them. And, as Eli notes, I have no doubt that there are just as many lovers of these things as haters. My issue was more of befuddlement (a rather common affliction of mine) because what arrived was, in no way, related to what I was expecting from the menu. Varying in size from olives to walnuts, with a vinegary/briny flavor and what must be a touch of truffle oil, my wife and I both looked at them and said, "hmmmmm."

We tried them. But they just didn't cut it for us. I gotta buy what shaggy says and maybe recommend an adjustment to the description. When we asked a server about them, she did indeed say they were peaches, but no further details came about exactly what kind of peaches they are, or why they didn't resemble anything we would have considered peach-like. Perhaps if the peaches were peach-colored it would have helped.

Anyway, when we balked the server removed them from our bill without hesitation, which was nice. And as I can only sense from Eli's post, based upon such love/hate relations guests have with the truffled peaches, it's probably not the first time they've been clipped from a bill. I'm glad I tried them though. If you haven't tried them yourself, perhaps you should take them up on the offer for a sample of them. They are, indeed, interesting. But I'll stick to the figs...and "walking on the beaches looking at the peaches."

Truffled peaches are actually an unripe variety of dwarf peaches that are preserved in vinegar and oil that has been infused with truffles. Apparently, the bartender in question was explaining truffles. No dogs needed to find the jars.
Thanks for the explanation. That fits the pieces together. I've often wondered how they were prepared/what they were, but I never asked. I just eat them without asking questions :angry:.

I think I've found a new favorite dish at Sonoma: pepper crusted local albacore w/cranberry beans, watercress, pinenuts, and roasted garlic-anchovy dressing. Starting out, I thought the pine nuts might be extraneous, but, about halfway through the plate, I realized that they were wonderful against the other flavors and textures of the salad. I shouldn't have doubted :blink: . I also loved the two anchovies on top. At the very end I tasted fennel. Our server said it was a fennel dusting. I'm not sure why I only caught it at the very end. I don't know how long it will stay on the menu, but I hope I get back to have it again while this combination is still available.

Because I find that Sonoma always does risottos well, I broke my deadlock with myself over what else to order by getting the spiced fall squash risotto, with mushrooms and Parmesan. It was just right but, the tuna plate was bigger than I had anticipated, and I couldn't finish the risotto. Even though portion sizes are quite reasonable at Sonoma, the food is often more filling than I anticipate.

My husband had a small plate of the penne with Amish chicken, followed by a hamburger. He pretty much always cleans his plate and couldn't finish the hamburger. So we have leftovers for today. :P

Our server was terrific and very helpful with beverage selections as well. After I had a glass of Riesling (which is always sweeter than I expect it to be--you'd think I'd remember), she suggested a drier white with a bit of spice to it. It don't recall the name (Trebbiano, maybe?), but it almost had the effect of being mulled. (It was nowhere near that forceful, of course, but had a hint of those spices coming through.) It was perfect with the remainder of my meal.

For anyone interested. Please note that the first seating, from 4-6pm, will be vets and their families only. Thanks! Eli

###

Sonoma Restaurant Hosting “Sunday Night Dinners” For Veterans and Families at Walter Reed Medical Center and Introducing Fundraising Efforts

Sonoma Restaurant, in coordination with the Armed Forces Foundation, will begin hosting a series of “Sunday Night Dinners” for returning veterans undergoing treatment at Walter Reed Medical Hospital. Foundation and Walter Reed staff and family members of the veterans will also be included at the gatherings. The kickoff “Sunday Night Dinner” will take place at Sonoma on October 28th, 2007, from 4 PM to 6 PM with additional Sunday suppers to follow in 2007 and 2008.

Sonoma owners Eli Hengst and Jared Rager are underwriting the entire cost of the dinner while the Armed Forces Foundation will handle the transportation to and from the restaurant and coordination with Walter Reed Medical Center. The inspiration for “Sunday Night Dinners” was an eye-opening special report by former ABC News anchor Bob Woodruff, on the injuries Iraq War veterans sustain and the devastation those injuries, as well as post-trauma care have on their families.

Hengst was deeply moved by the situation. “It’s tough for vets and families at Walter Reed and other hospitals to get out because of logistics, finances, and injury-related issues. Seeing Bob Woodruff’s very personal report of returning soldier’s experiences inspired this extremely modest way to thank our veterans, but the thought was really rooted in simple idea of getting them out for an evening of good food with their families and friends. Our goal is to make this a monthly dinner for as long as possible,” says Eli Hengst.

For those wishing to make their own contribution, Sonoma Restaurant & Wine Bar will be offering a "featured wine" starting on October 28, with 50% of all the featured bottle’s sales benefiting the Armed Forces Foundation and other similar organizations.

“Sometimes it’s easy to be overwhelmed by the larger issues, and we wanted to provide a modest way for our guests to support our veterans, while helping to keep the issue at the forefront of people’s minds," Eli notes.

The Armed Forces Foundation is a nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C. committed to serving members of the Armed Services and assisting them in their time of greatest need. For additional information about the Armed Forces Foundation please visit armedforcesfoundation.org..

Sonoma Restaurant & Wine Bar at 223 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. For additional information please call (202) 544-8088 or visit sonomadc.com

###

I went to Sonoma today for lunch specifically to sample the Kobe. Drew was kind enough to point out that although in all respects (cow, feeding, bathing/massaging, etc.) this meat is identical to Kobe, it is not from Kobe, but from another Province in Japan - Kuroge. Therefore I suspect that it may not command the extreme prices that the highest quality Kobe would command. This meat is goooood. Although cooked, you cannot visually detect the marbling, Drew assured me and will show me the next time he gets an order in that it is indeed richly marbled. The taste and tenderness of the beef is luxurious -- like intensely beef-flavored butter. Although I have never sampled high quality Kobe, I believe that it would be difficult to get much better than this in the steak world. I remain open to being convinced otherwise, however, if/when Rocks arranges a tasting :blink:

Why are the wine selections upstairs so limited compared to downstairs?

We go to Sonoma a few times a month for the charcuterie and a few glasses of wine. If we can't get a table, we sit at the bar. When we can't do either - like we couldn't last night - we sit upstairs since the charcuterie is available up there anyway. We've had to do this before, so we know the menus are limited up there, but last night there were only 4 red wines by the glass on the menu and only 3 available. Is it some limitiation of the restaurant's layout? Or if it's an intentional choice, why? Who is the target clientele up there?

Thanks!

I went to Sonoma today for lunch specifically to sample the Kobe. Drew was kind enough to point out that although in all respects (cow, feeding, bathing/massaging, etc.) this meat is identical to Kobe, it is not from Kobe, but from another Province in Japan - Kuroge...

John, second your opinion on the Wagyu. The version I had was served on tiny, unpeeled glazed carrots reduced with chicken stock, which brought out the sweet butteryness of the beef. Drew told me last night that he's bringing back the tartar version this week.

Another new item on the menu is the risotto with slices of oregon black truffle. They've had this on the menu in previous years, but last night it was the best I've ever experienced it there. The risotto was perfectly cooked and flavored, rich and redolent with truffle. This has got to be one of the most satisfying risottos in DC right now.

redolent with truffle

This is a great phrase, Banco - you should try and slip this into Don Giovanni during a luftpause:

Duet (La ci darem la mano)

DON GIOVANNI

Melting in soft surrender,

Your pretty hand in mine,

Not far away, in splendor,

We there shall blend as one.

MEMBER OF CHORUS, (SUDDENLY)

Redolent with truffle!

It will absolutely be your final time on stage, but what a way to go! Make sure to roll the R!

This is a great phrase, Banco - you should try and slip this into Don Giovanni during a luftpause:

Duet (La ci darem la mano)

DON GIOVANNI

Melting in soft surrender,

Your pretty hand in mine,

Not far away, in splendor,

We there shall blend as one.

MEMBER OF CHORUS, (SUDDENLY)

Redolent with truffle!

It will absolutely be your final time on stage, but what a way to go! Make sure to roll the R!

Vorrei e non vorrei! :blink:

We go to Sonoma a few times a month for the charcuterie and a few glasses of wine. If we can't get a table, we sit at the bar. When we can't do either - like we couldn't last night - we sit upstairs since the charcuterie is available up there anyway. We've had to do this before, so we know the menus are limited up there, but last night there were only 4 red wines by the glass on the menu and only 3 available. Is it some limitiation of the restaurant's layout? Or if it's an intentional choice, why? Who is the target clientele up there? Thanks!

Thanks for all the visits and great feedback on our imported purebred kuroge wagyu beef; if anyone wants to see the cow's "nose print" and accompanying certification documents, I'll be posting them on our website in the next few days. As was noted on another post, there seems to be alot of "kobe" beef around town these days, but if its not from Japan, and not from Kobe, it's not really Kobe - just like if it's not from Champagne, it's not really Champagne.

Regarding our wine selection in the 2nd floor Avenue Lounge, it's pretty simple: we limit the offerings because we do not yet have a Winekeeper upstairs to guarantee the proper conditions for storing and preserving more than a handful of wines.

Downstairs, we can comfortably serve up to 40 out of our Winekeeper system; in the Lounge, we prefer not to risk a bad pour. If there's something downstairs you're dying to try, however, let us know - we'll always make the trip down to get it for you.

Thanks for asking.

Sonoma has a special that started last night for dinner and was up again for lunch today: steak au poivre. In this case, that means a bison rib-eye encrusted with peppercorns and served with green peppercorn pan sauce bound with just a little cream. Despite all the pepper, it's assertive without being overpowering. Alongside is a baked potato whose contents were removed and bound with chives, pancetta, and creme fraiche, then stuffed back into the skin and baked at 500 degrees. The result is a crunchy skin and meltingly tender and flavorful interior. Another garnish is some simple microgreens that have been dressed with a light vinaigrette incorporating the juices from the bison. It's not fair to compare this to my recent unpleasant experience with the same dish at Central (the latter is a regular part of the menu, costs less, and isn't bison) but I couldn't help but do so. In any case, if you're in the mood for pepper steak in this cold, wet weather, Sonoma is the place to be.

Had a really nice meal here with the missus on Saturday night. We started out with a cheese plate, including a blue, a cow, and a sheep. We’ve decided that we love blue cheese so much that we might just get 3 blues next time. Is that wrong? And the red and white wine jelly has always been a favorite of ours. They need to bottle that and sell it – it would be a great way to start off your morning.

We then had the mussels, which came in a very tasty broth and with some toast points. To be honest, while the dish was good, I felt it was far too expensive for what we got. It was 12 mussels for $12. I admit I have no clue as to how much food costs restaurants, but even at an expensive retailer like Whole Foods you can get a 2lb bag of mussels for $3, so I assume that paying for them wholesale is cheaper. Thus, a buck a mussel? That aint right (imho, natch).

For mains, I had the bass, which came with an olive tapanade, which made for an interesting combination and one I enjoyed very much. My wife had the steak and it was perfectly seasoned and cooked. Steak, to me, seems to have become a specialty item these days with all the steak houses out there, etc., and so I was originally wary, thinking what does a wine bar know from steak, but it was delicious. It also came with a log cabin of steak fries that were quite good.

The dessert was a banana crème tart that my wife barely got to try, I liked it that much. Also, I’m a bad food sharer anyway.

Oh, and local personality Tony Riali (sp?) of ESPN was at the bar with a lady friend. So they had that going for themselves, which was nice.

Sonoma last night. Chicken pate and grilled focaccia with the red wine jelly to share. Sonoma Oysters Rockefeller and Dry Aged Beef Burger with Gruyere for me. Sonoma Hash, Fries with bearnaise sauce, and Bucatini Al Amatriciana for my husband.

I only ate a little of the burger, since I'd already eaten too much and was full :( . My husband has that and remaining potatoes for lunch today. The fries aren't on the online menu and I forget the exact description. They came out on a plate stacked like Lincoln logs ;). They were thick cut and quite good, despite my preference for thin fries. My husband loved the hash. It looked really fabulous. While I liked the oysters, I'm was sitting there thinking I'd like to order the hash for myself ASAP. Saw someone else eating it on the patio on the way out and got that impulse again, despite being full to the bursting point.

Everything was wonderful, other than the juice from the burger that splashed on my shirt with the first bite and doesn't seem to want to come out. Maybe I should wear a bib to eat :).

Were you able to sit outside?
This is going to sound stupid, but I didn't even think about it. I generally just use open table and make a reservation, which I did Wednesday, not thinking about the forecast for nice weather on Thursday and the fact that they have outside seating. They had a table waiting for us inside when we arrived, and it still didn't occur to me to ask if we could sit outside. I hadn't even assessed how full it was out there on the way in. There were definitely plenty of tables filled, but I don't know if they were completely full.

They're done in clarified butter.
They are good. I dipped the couple I stole into the red wine jelly that was still out on the table. That was probably horribly tacky, but I thought they were great that way. I'm sure they're better with bearnaise, though.

I only ate a little of the burger, since I'd already eaten too much and was full ;) .
Deja vu. I did this again last night :lol:. Burger with fontina. I brought most of it home. I also finished only about half of the glazed chicken wings. They were nicely spiced. Chipotle, I think. Micro celery greenery plus a nice blue cheese dipping sauce. I filled up on way too much grilled bread and chicken pate to start. I love that pate.

We'll have the leftovers tonight, plus the little bit of my husband's pork mignon dish he didn't finish. He started with proscuitto and also had penne with pulled chicken. I have to get better at resisting ordering too much food when I go to Sonoma. Everything just looks so tempting on the menu, though.

Just a quick note to share our Inauguration Week schedule and our all-week brunch menu.

Fortunately, Sonoma is on Pennsylvania Avenue just outside Capitol Hill's security perimeter; if you can't make it through the gates, we'll of course be showing the entire event live on multiple flat screens.

Look forward to seeing you....

Sonoma Restaurant & Wine Bar Inauguration Weekend/Week Schedule

Saturday, January 17

Brunch 11am-230pm

Dinner 530pm-close

Sunday, January 18

Brunch 11am-230pm

Dinner 530pm-close

Monday, January 19

Brunch 930am-430pm

Dinner 5pm - close

*Tuesday, January 20

Brunch 800am-430pm

Dinner 530pm-close

Wednesday-Sunday, January 21-25

Brunch 11am-230pm

Dinner 530pm-close

Click here for a map of closures and ped/bicycle friendly areas.

sonoma_inaug_week_brunch.pdf