Georgia Avenue Meeting House, Gillian Clark Planning To Open in Petworth in 2009 - Not Opening

Today's NYTimes has a great article by Kim Severson featuring Gillian Clark discussing the changing DC neighborhood restaurant scene. Good read.

Later this year, Ms. Clark plans to open Georgia Street Meeting House in her working-class neighborhood in Northwest Washington. The menu will be unabashedly Southern, in the style of the late Edna Lewis, with lard pie crusts and whole roast pigs at formal Sunday suppers.

I'm jealous. The Chef's Table is right down the street from the Ray's The Heat location and is a really cool space. Very iconic.

I just love that this neighborhood is, practically overnight, going to be one of the best dining areas in the entire metro area!

I'm jealous. The Chef's Table is right down the street from the Ray's The Heat location and is a really cool space. Very iconic.

The NYT dropped the ball in certain respects in this article (though it was good overall), not the least of which was the failure to mention Ray's the Heat. This is the highest profile, and to my knowledge the first announced, sit-down restaurant project in that section of the city. The other instances in which they dropped the ball were in basic facts regarding the neighborhoods (Ann Cashion lives in Mt Pleasant, not Columbia Heights, they misspelled Capitol Hill, they got the location of Love Cafe wrong, etc). I don't mean to nitpick, but this is a major national publication after all.

Given that Gillian Clark moved away from the DC area a long time ago, it's a safe bet that the Georgia Avenue Meeting House is not going to open.

There aren't many chefs who could play the media like Gillian Clark. She held several cards in her hand, and wasn't afraid to play any of them.