Stachowski Market and Deli, 28th and P Street in Georgetown, Featuring Jamie Stachowski's Charcuterie

chacha

Stopped by Stachowski's for the first time this past Sunday. Beautiful products on display. Picked up some pheasant pate, fresh Polish sausage and some pastrami. Everything was excellent. The Polish sausage is a duplicate of that made by my late father-in-law who was a butcher in Buffalo so it goes without saying that you will never find any better. The real treat was finding absolutely fresh top quality calves' liver. What a treat. Had not seen that in town since the French Market closed. The liver was sliced to perfection by Mr. J.S. himself. Sauteed with some bacon and onions it was the best liver I have eaten in years. Will be returning very soon. A great new place to have in town.

Stopped by for the first time yesterday, and the reports are right: Everything looks fabulous, and not too overpriced, either (compared to, say, Three Little Pigs). The roast beef on display looked luscious, so I chose it over the pastrami -- and the beef itself was fantastic. Unfortunately, it was buried under a pile of slaw -- very good slaw, mind you, but still -- to the point where the meat was almost undetectable. I'd say the slaw/meat ratio was about 4 or 5 to 1 -- and it should be the opposite. Let the meat shine! Can't wait to return for the pastrami, the onglet, the liver . . . .

Stopped by for the first time yesterday, and the reports are right: Everything looks fabulous, and not too overpriced, either (compared to, say, Three Little Pigs).

I know where Jason at Three Little Pigs gets his animals, at least some of them. What about Jamie? Jamie's gifts and years of experience should command high prices. His raw ingredients might cost a great deal less. I don't know.

I know where Jason at Three Little Pigs gets his animals, at least some of them. What about Jamie? Jamie's gifts and years of experience should command high prices. His raw ingredients might cost a great deal less. I don't know.

I should clarify that I can't be sure the prices at 3LP are significantly higher--I was last in there a couple of weeks after it opened, and was shocked by the mark-ups, as compared to, e.g., the already expensive cuts from Red Apron at farmers markets. I didn't have that same reaction yesterday at Stachowski; but perhaps my memory's failing me.

The sub/grinder/hero sandwich is massive--enough for three meals, and delicious. If not to be consumed immediately, I might ask them to hold back on the vinaigrette, as it made the bread soggy by the second day. It was admirably crisp at first.

Grilled a hanger steak and smoked merguez sausages last night. Great flavor.

The sub/grinder/hero sandwich is massive--enough for three meals, and delicious. If not to be consumed immediately, I might ask them to hold back on the vinaigrette, as it made the bread soggy by the second day. It was admirably crisp at first.

I went there this week for a grinder. It seems they changed bread. The previous bread they were using held up much better.

Today was my 3rd time here. Unlike so many on the board, I don't think I had ever had Jamie's charcuterie before this shop opened but was very familiar with JS thanks to this website and all of his fans that shared their views going back three pages. As soon as it was announced he'd be opening his own place, I made it a point to get there asap after opening and did.

The shop is old-worldly and reminds me also of places in NY, Boston and other cities from years ago. As everyone else has written, the prices are fair, reasonable and even a bargain in most cases. Right in Georgetown of all places. A bargain. Go figure.

But, most of all, this is a small shop packed with quality product merchandised by people with clear, deep and wonderful passion and knowledge around what they do. Those words are much overused to describe way too many restaurants and stores in my view. This place really deserves the accolades.

Love, love the pastrami, the sausages, kielbasa and just recently have started venturing into other areas. Picked up a few pounds of skirt today that I'll marinate and grill to serve with a chimichurri for a party this weekend. Jamie's son carefully laid out the steak and, before starting to trim it, called his dad over who asked me what my intentions were. I explained my marinate and grill plan and he turned to his son and said "don't butterfly it...too thin for the grill...just a light trim." And so they did.

The Post article (link upthread) did a great job of capturing the experiential umami of this place. It's all about flavor, quality and value. As example, when I first went in a couple of months ago, I asked about grass fed beef. Jamie wasn't there but his son was. Clearly a point of active discussion between father and son. Can grass fed beef meet the Stachowski flavor and quality standard? But some customers ask for it. You get the idea.

Quality is it. From everything in the case to the sandwiches, limited selection of local grown produce, Maldon sea salt, raw honey, breads and on and on. But the star is everything beef whether cured or uncured (bit of salt cod too). This market really stands out from most (nearly all) others in the area. How very cool it's here. I hope they enjoy ridiculous success because, if they do, it won't be great just for just selfish reason that we all get to enjoy it. It'll be a wonderful example of how an obsessive focus on quality and value can indeed make for a successful venture. As we all know, that's easier said than done.

Bacon. Or, to paraphrase Hart Crane, The bacon, Bill, the bacon!

Mr Stachowski purveys superlative bacon.

Is he smoking his own bacon yet? Last time I got bacon from him they were "about to start" making their own but what they had in house was from another supplier, if memory serves somewhere in the Baltimore area. It wasn't that great.

Is he smoking his own bacon yet? Last time I got bacon from him they were "about to start" making their own but what they had in house was from another supplier, if memory serves somewhere in the Baltimore area. It wasn't that great.

I didn't ask if the bacon was smoked in-house. I can testify that it is superb. Whether you and I would agree on what constitutes superb bacon, I have no way of knowing.

Today was my 2nd (well, 3rd, I went twice today) time here.

The first time we got the meat-laden sandwich and it was great. Nice bread and flavorful meat. I had to split it with my boyfriend since the sandwich itself was a couple pounds. I got the mac & cheese and it tasted sour. I don't know if it was intentional because they used a funky cheese or if the mac & cheese had gone bad.

Today we got the hot italian sausage and peppers & onions. The sausage was very hot, but not in a spicy way--more peppery. I love pepper so this was a great lunch. We tried a cookie and then bought some iced tea and a packet of double chocolate sea salt cookies from a local Falls Church bakery. After walking around Georgetown, we swung back to get 2 sausages from the case: 1 Chicken Santa Fe; 1 Weisswurst

We're grilling them up tomorrow and I'll report back on the taste.

I also asked if they had head cheese and if they'll have half sandwiches. "Soon" was the reply on both.

I like the people that work here, but it gets really crowded very fast and there is no seating except for a family-style round dinner table near the cash register. It can also get pretty hot in there, which is probably due to the lack of traffic (and air) flow when it gets crowded.

We recommended it to my "father in law" (boyfriend's dad) and he loved it! He is very picky about his deli meats since he grew up in New Jersey & is Jewish ^_^

I had lunch at Stachowski Market and Deli last week and damn, it was good. I had a bratwurst (the only thing that would've made it better, in my opinion, would be less onions on top or at least asking if I wanted onions) with a side of pastrami. Wow! The pastrami was delicious.

The pastrami was mine. It was thickly cut, and had a strong smoky, delicious flavor. Very different from a standard NY pastrami, so if you're looking for that it may disappoint, but if you just want a great sandwich with tasty, satisfying meat, it fits the bill.

I went by Stachowski's on my way home for lunch today, and bought some sliced (to order) pastrami. I took it home and made a sandwich with some of it, rye bread, vidalia onion, Dijon mustard. I have to say, it's chewier than I expect pastrami to be, but on the whole I think that's a plus. It's the best pastrami I've ever eaten. No, I mean it.

I stopped by on Sunday on my way home from the Dupont Market. Jamie wasn't there, but his son Joseph showed me around and sold me some pastrami. It is EXCELLENT--not at all greasy and fatty like too many I've eaten, and with a pronounced smoke flavor along with the typical garlic-y, pepper-y spice. And at $11.99 a pound, a bargain compared to $13.99 a pound I paid at Neil's Deli in Carrboro, N.C. the last time I was down to visit my daughter. And Jamie's pastrami is every bit as good.

I agree that 11.99/lb for that pastrami is a huge bargain.

Stopped by Stachowski's for the first time this past Sunday. Beautiful products on display. Picked up some pheasant pate, fresh Polish sausage and some pastrami. Everything was excellent.

Love, love the pastrami, the sausages, kielbasa and just recently have started venturing into other areas.

Wow! The pastrami was delicious.

I'm not a fan of the pastrami, but the braunschweiger is to die for.

I had two huge meals courtesy of Stachowski last weekend. I employed my "cheapskate bagel-ordering strategy" and ordered a pound (actually, 1.3 pounds) of pastrami, an entire Ciabatta loaf (made from Baguette Republic in Sterling, VA, and a *very* good ciabatta), and a jar of Dijon mustard.

Cutting the ciabatta loaf in half, then splitting each half, then spreading mustard first, and adding half the pastrami second, provided for two *enormous* sandwiches that worked out to about $11 each (I think a "regular" pastrami sandwich at Stachowski is $11.99, and the ones I made were the largest pastrami sandwiches I've ever seen (with the possible exception of some of the New York Carnegie-style $25 deli towers).

The pastrami is quite fatty, in parts, somewhat lean in others, and taken together averages out to be fairly fatty. On this wonderful bread, with the artisan mustard (I don't remember the brand, but it was a cut above your Gray Poupon or Gulden's), I am definitely a "fan" while acknowledging that it's certainly not the best pastrami I've ever eaten. It's very, very good, but not life-changingly so.

So far, the opinions here are very pro-pastrami, with the descriptors being that it's an atypical product. The one dissenter didn't make it clear if it was style or quality she didn't care for (my guess is the former). Adding my views, I think shoppers can expect a high-quality, but atypical style, of pastrami at Stachowski.

A wrist-slappingly belated "congratulations," Jamie, or the opening of this wonderful boucherie. Back when you were the main game in town at The Restaurant on K, and I said you were "Hands down the best charcuterie in town," you had a little chalkboard outside on the sidewalk proclaiming it, and I was grateful for the attention you paid me. Then, a few years went by where I wouldn't have necessarily issued that same praise (your garage *did* sort of give me Silence of the Lamb-influenced shudders!), but now I'm grateful once again that you have the quote on your press section, and you can leave it up with confidence. I love your store!

Cheers,

Rocks

So far, the opinions here are very pro-pastrami, with the descriptors being that it's an atypical product. The one dissenter didn't make it clear if it was style or quality she didn't care for (my guess is the former).

You guessed correctly. :). I've tried it twice, and it's not my thing. I prefer the braunschweiger, the Italian sandwich, and the meatball sandwich.

If you're into self-punishment, get on their mailing list, and let them taunt you with what delicious prepared treats are available for pickup every night. Yet another reason to wish that this delightful place was on my way home.

After reading Heather's post and seeing Mike Isabella's rec in the current Saveur (Jamie's braunschweiger sandwich is #17 of Saveur's top 100 food "things" of 2012), I bought one today. I haven't yet had the smoked turkey sandwich that David Hagedorn is so crazy about, so I can't say that the braunschweiger sandwich is the best. But it was indeed very, very good.

I picked up some hanger steak from Stachowski's a few days ago and cooked one for lunch. Best damn hanger steak I've ever had. Don't know what type of beef he gets or how it's raised and finished and aged, but this had a well-developed, deep, intense flavor that's only rivalled by the hanger at RTS.

Jamie's also the perfect person from whom to order a large mess of perfect chicken wings. You know, if you were on the hook to supply a football-related gathering with a different and interesting take on the old classic. We'll see if I can pull this off. At least I sourced from the right place. :P

After reading Heather's post and seeing Mike Isabella's rec in the current Saveur (Jamie's braunschweiger sandwich is #17 of Saveur's top 100 food "things" of 2012), I bought one today. I haven't yet had the smoked turkey sandwich that David Hagedorn is so crazy about, so I can't say that the braunschweiger sandwich is the best. But it was indeed very, very good.

I went to Stachowski Market & Deli today and tried the Braunschweiger Sandwich ($8.99) for the first time. It was an excellent sandwich, and for the price it was amazing (it is indeed enough for two small meals). Made with Jamie's homemade braunschweiger (pork liver sausage, a firm liverwurst), red onion, sweet pickle, and mustard on oversized, toasted rye bread, the ingredients were all superb, and the sandwich was tall enough where someone with a small jaw would have to compress it before eating. My one nitpick with this fine sandwich is that everything was very thick, and piled in its own space (I'd say that picture in Saveur is very much like what I had today). The shredded red onion - which was very sweet and quite good - needs to be distributed a little better. One bite in particular was not much more than rye bread, mustard, and a mound of red onion (which is how I know it was very sweet and quite good). This is a very mild liver sausage, so if you don't like strong meats, don't let the name or description scare you off.

On the way out, I saw Jamie, and he looks great. This market is terrific, and I don't really see how it could possibly get much better than it is. Jamie, it's wonderful to see you come into your own. Sure, you were great at Restaurant Kolumbia, but this is where your passion and heart are. I don't know if this means anything to you, or sounds silly, but I'll say it anyway - I'm proud of both you and Carolyn.

• Like 2

Seeing Don's post reminds me to report back a bit on my post just above his. Yes, if you're on the hook to make some interesting wings, using whatever recipe, for a gathering, order from Jamie. I managed to not mess mine up (like Shanny did with RGIII--different topic but both were being experienced at the same time last weekend) but, my own recipe/technique aside, got tons of compliments from the group on the wings having "great flavor" and being "really meaty," "much moreso than Whole Foods." The gentleman who helped me when I picked them up Friday (and bought a ton of other stuff!) was just able to tell me they'd gotten them from a farm about four miles north in Maryland.

Last night, we grilled a hangar steak from Jamie. Also amazing deep and beefy flavor.

This market is a local treasure.

I went to Stachowski Market & Deli today and tried the Braunschweiger Sandwich ($8.99) for the first time. It was an excellent sandwich, and for the price it was amazing (it is indeed enough for two small meals). Made with Jamie's homemade braunschweiger (pork liver sausage, a firm liverwurst), red onion, sweet pickle, and mustard on oversized, toasted rye bread, the ingredients were all superb, and the sandwich was tall enough where someone with a small jaw would have to compress it before eating. My one nitpick with this fine sandwich is that everything was very thick, and piled in its own space (I'd say that picture in Saveur is very much like what I had today). The shredded red onion - which was very sweet and quite good - needs to be distributed a little better. One bite in particular was not much more than rye bread, mustard, and a mound of red onion (which is how I know it was very sweet and quite good). This is a very mild liver sausage, so if you don't like strong meats, don't let the name or description scare you off.

On the way out, I saw Jamie, and he looks great. This market is terrific, and I don't really see how it could possibly get much better than it is. Jamie, it's wonderful to see you come into your own. Sure, you were great at Restaurant Kolumbia, but this is where your passion and heart are. I don't know if this means anything to you, or sounds silly, but I'll say it anyway - I'm proud of both you and Carolyn.

say hi next time

We made the trek to P street this afternoon to provision an indoor picnic. New to me this time was the French dip, which was tasty but overcooked by the time we sat down. Ian is in love with their Genoa salami; he demolished the sandwich made for him (accompanied by Trickling Springs chocolate milk) and is now rolling up the remaining slices as a snack.

There's a braunschweiger sandwich resting in the fridge to go with some homemade split pea soup for dinner tonight & lunch tomorrow. I can't wait.

ETA these sandwiches are a tremendous deal, because of their size. One $12 easily serves two people, or makes two meals.

ETA these sandwiches are a tremendous deal, because of their size. One $12 easily serves two people, or makes two meals.

Indeed, I had a half of the braunschweiger for lunch yesterday and the other half today. Quite good, but a little sloppy as it is overstuffed. Bring napkins.

The 4 meat grinders are huge.

I stopped in to Stachowski's on Saturday to buy some pastrami and braunschweiger. Rocks characterized the braunschweiger above as a firm liverwurst, which surprised me, since when I bought some a couple of months ago it was very soft and spreadable. What I got on Saturday was indeed quite firm, so perhaps these things vary with Jamie's mood or his materials. Anyway, it made a wonderful sandwich, and will make another wonderful sandwich yet. The pastrami continues to impress me, and continues to be the best I've ever had.

What really surprised me on this visit, though, was the guanciale on display. It looked quite nice, but the surprising thing was it was priced at $4.99 a pound! Unfortunately, I am in the unusual position of already having more guanciale than I know what to do with, so I reluctantly refrained from buying more. The Biellese product that I have cost at least four times as much, maybe five; hell, it might have been six times as much; I don't remember exactly.

And speaking of prices, and Jewish delis from another thread, the pastrami at Stachowski's costs $11.99 a pound. The pastrami at 2nd Avenue Deli in New York costs $31.95 a pound. I can just about guarantee that Jamie's is better. And with no tall buildings!

I really like the pastrami. It's just that the sandwich is literally unmanageable to eat.

Yup. I tried my best last week to polish one off and only managed to get half way. But the remaining half made for some delicious leftovers -- I diced the pastrami and made a hash with it Saturday morning, throwing in potato, onion, a red bell pepper, and butter and frying it all into a delicious mess. Topped with an over-easy egg, it was absolutely delicious, and made enough for breakfast Saturday and Sunday!

I really like the pastrami too. Actually, "really like" understates the case for me. Just wasn't part of my ham contest since it's beef. So much from which to choose at this place. :)

It really is special, isn't it.

You know? People don't remember the boucherie attached to Les Halles, but I do. And, as is the case with the old Carnegie Deli in Tysons, this is why you can't say that DGS Delicatessen is the "first great deli" ever to be in the DC area. Both of these places were great, truly. Stachowski has surpassed all charcutiers, I'm pretty sure, but for delis, Carnegie Deli, in its day, was superb.

• Like 1

Yup. I tried my best last week to polish one off and only managed to get half way. But the remaining half made for some delicious leftovers -- I diced the pastrami and made a hash with it Saturday morning, throwing in potato, onion, a red bell pepper, and butter and frying it all into a delicious mess. Topped with an over-easy egg, it was absolutely delicious, and made enough for breakfast Saturday and Sunday!

They sometimes have house made pastrami hash in the prepared food case/fridge. It is SO GOOD.

And I can confirm they're now open on Mondays. I live down the block and was surprised to see the lights on and door open this past Monday.

They sometimes have house made pastrami hash in the prepared food case/fridge. It is SO GOOD.

And I can confirm they're now open on Mondays. I live down the block and was surprised to see the lights on and door open this past Monday.

Are you sure they weren't just doing some work? The pastrami hash with a runny egg on top sounds awesome.

Will someone cook one for me?

Are you sure they weren't just doing some work? The pastrami hash with a runny egg on top sounds awesome.

Will someone cook one for me?

Don--

A couple of weeks ago they announced to their email listers that they are now open on Mondays. As to the fine print, you know that you can drop by my house for dinner on short notice. I can't guarantee we won't be eating leftovers, but the welcome mat is out there.

• Like 1

I'm wondering about the thickness of the pastrami on the sandwiches. I got a pastrami sandwich here this weekend, and the pastrami was sliced thinly. I've seen some pictures of the sandwiches where the pastrami looks like it was cut thicker. Did the pastrami in the sandwiches used to be cut thicker?

I'm wondering about the thickness of the pastrami on the sandwiches. I got a pastrami sandwich here this weekend, and the pastrami was sliced thinly. I've seen some pictures of the sandwiches where the pastrami looks like it was cut thicker. Did the pastrami in the sandwiches used to be cut thicker?

I've gotten the sliced pastrami (by the pound) four times, I believe (never a sandwich), and the thickness has varied greatly. I imagine if you go back for another pastrami sandwich the thickness of the slices will be different from your last one.

I've gotten the sliced pastrami (by the pound) four times, I believe (never a sandwich), and the thickness has varied greatly. I imagine if you go back for another pastrami sandwich the thickness of the slices will be different from your last one.

I've gotten it sliced to order. Guessing you could ask for thin, thicker or whatever for a sandwich too.

I've made reference to Stachowski Market a few times in the past two days on other threads. Some great chicken wings I bought which are currently in process for tomorrow. The wonderful and gigantic pastrami sandwich which served as lunch for three over two days.

Wanted to post here to congratulate Jamie. Not on his wonderful market as others have done. Not on any specific and awesome sandwiches, steaks, hams, sausages, other meats or local produce.

Nope, none of that. As only a small number of DR members (those who were in the shop in the past few days) will know, Mr. Stachowski is currently sporting a purple beard. Nicely done, sir. Nicely done. :)

I sooooo wish I'd had a camera with me to prove this but maybe he or his son will 'fess up here on the site as I encouraged them to do. B)

Saw this thread pop up again, which reminded me that I wanted to add my praise for Stachowski's. I was actually able to attend a private event at Stachowski's last Friday with none other than Jamie and his son leading the charge. Our group gathered and chatted over a large selection of charcuterie - prosciutto di parma, venison pate, bresaola, salami, mordatella, and another one or two that I'm forgetting - with mostarda and pickles, all house made with the exception of the prosciutto. After that we were served a steaming plate of various sausages topped with a chunky sauce of tomatoes and onions.

Then we donned our aprons and hats (yep, hats required) and got working in the kitchen. Jamie first led us through the process of making country pate. We all helped as needed, pushing meat through the grinder, pulling thyme off of the stems, lining loaf pans with bacon, and then we each filled our own pan with the pate mixture, adding a few cognac soaked figs and topping it with the pieces of bacon hanging out of the side and some fresh thyme and black pepper. We each took our own loaf home with instructions on how to bake, which I did the next day. Phenomenal pork pate!

From there, we were given lessons in making chicken paillards, butterflying & trussing chicken and the grand finale...breaking down a side of pig. Our night ended with a plate of chicken schnitzel w/sauce Diane, braised red cabbage, and potato pancakes.

Throughout the night our main entertainment was Jamie, who amazed us with his knowledge and amused us with his stories and antics. Having never been there, but having read all of the praise here I knew I was in for a good night, but after having spent some time talking with him, I can definitely say I would have the utmost confidence in Jamie's product. And the man is a hoot - and Polish to boot, which makes him a winner in my book. ;)

I will definitely be making a special trip down there at some point to stock up on meat, maybe on a night when I can pick up dinner to go as well. :)

Stachowski's is on my short list of places I must visit. However, I'm a little concerned about the parking situation in G'town. Where do you all park when you go there?

Street parking is no problem during the day on weekdays. I usually can park on 28th or P within a block of the store. I'm not sure about evenings and weekends.