Stachowski Market and Deli, 28th and P Street in Georgetown, Featuring Jamie Stachowski's Charcuterie

chacha

Street parking is no problem during the day on weekdays. I usually can park on 28th or P within a block of the store. I'm not sure about evenings and weekends.

I don't know if I have any better parking karma than anyone else but I've found it to almost never be a problem to park whether weekday or

weekend. Sometimes right next to the shop. Never more than a block or two away. it's a small shop so not like hundreds are there at one

time. I've been there at least 12-20 times; never a problem parking.

Like others, I had no problem parking within one block on a Saturday evening. It's a bit removed from Georgetown proper so maybe that helps? It is zoned parking so you can't expect to be able to park there for more than 2 hours unless you have a permit, but otherwise I don't think you'll have an issue.

No problem parking this weekend on Saturday afternoon, but Jamie was out of town!

We gotta get him to repeat that event for us...

I would 100% be on board with something along the lines of that event. As a novice in both charcuterie and sausage making, I'm sure it would be extremely educational.

Doesn't get much play here, but the butcher shop apects of the place are worth exploring. Bought some excellent hangar steaks there the other day, noticeably better than the fine steaks I ususally get from Union Butchers in Eastern Market.

I'm looking for veal shanks for osso bucco. Does Jamie carry this or does he take special orders?

Thanks.

eta: How tough would parking be to find around noon on weekdays?

I'm looking for veal shanks for osso bucco. Does Jamie carry this or does he take special orders?

Thanks.

They seem to take special orders for most anything. I can't vouch for veal shanks since I haven't before ordered that from him but you should definitely give a call and ask. I bet they can and would do it. Parking is not a problem really whatever the day and time per the posts above.

Thanks.

I bought a couple of pieces of veal shank from Stachowski's to round out a batch I was about to make from a Costco pack I'd had in the freezer. I'll just say that those two pieces were expensive. As I recall, they were $21 or $22 a pound. It's been a long time since I've seen them at Costco.

I bought a couple of pieces of veal shank from Stachowski's to round out a batch I was about to make from a Costco pack I'd had in the freezer. I'll just say that those two pieces were expensive. As I recall, they were $21 or $22 a pound. It's been a long time since I've seen them at Costco.

They may be more expensive, but my guess is that they come from better animals. Does Stachowski use only locally raised meats?

They may be more expensive, but my guess is that they come from better animals. Does Stachowski use only locally raised meats?

That's very much my understanding from several conversations with them. Whether it's 100% absolute across all meats I can't say but I think would be fine to ask that. I do know Jamie's not a fan of grass-fed beef due to the flavor tradeoffs but, in spite of that, possible you'd see that in the shop at some point if customer demand is there.

Thank you all for your help. Mr. MV will pick up shanks next week. I called Stachowski and made a special order. The gentleman who took my call asked to to call back on Mon. to put my order in (pick up Th or Fr). No idea of the cost. Gulp! But, I trust, I trust.

I then called back with an attack of conscience and asked if it would be rose veal and was told, no. People apparently find it "gamey". Never found that myself, but....

It is VA veal.

That's very much my understanding from several conversations with them. Whether it's 100% absolute across all meats I can't say but I think would be fine to ask that. I do know Jamie's not a fan of grass-fed beef due to the flavor tradeoffs but, in spite of that, possible you'd see that in the shop at some point if customer demand is there.

Local does not imply grass fed. From what I remember Reseada is not 100% grass fed but the are certainly raised much better than the factory stuff.

Not sure if you were implying otherwise, but it should always be fine to ask the sources of products when purchasing food.

Local does not imply grass fed. From what I remember Reseada is not 100% grass fed but the are certainly raised much better than the factory stuff.

Not sure if you were implying otherwise, but it should always be fine to ask the sources of products when purchasing food.

Yep. Separate points: place of origin (i.e. local) versus type of diet (i.e., grass fed versus grass finished). Agree always fine to ask--was encouraging that here. And you are right about Roseda. Definitely not grass-finished, which is what you usually want to know (versus the generic and somewhat amorphous "grass fed"). Lots of other threads/posts on that with thoughts on flavor, health, etc, etc.

I believe it is Roseda that finishes on spent grain from a local brewery. A neat and useful method of recycling and energy conservation. Grow once, use twice, to produce potables and edibles.

Roseda is the producer that does that but I'm not sure it's done across all products. Nevertheless, they're a producer that seems to have heart and mind in the right place in terms of quality, ethics and transparency.

I was there today and parking is no problem. there are plenty of spots nearby on the weekend at least during the day. I had a 4 meat grinder and it was unbelievably good. Half of it was enough for my lunch and dinner. unfortunately the bread won't be crunchy tomorrow but I still can't wait for lunchtime.

When Zora says that a particular Braunschweiger is outstanding, listen to her! I will admit to being slightly daunted when I first unwrapped the sandwich and saw the layered slabs of Braunschweiger in there, each at least as thick as a dime's diameter, dressed with a generous amount of thinly shaved red onion, and some nice and crunchy sweet pickle. But it truly was fantastic, certainly the best I've ever had.

Naturally, I dragged gubeen back there the next day to load up on some items, including lunch. The pastrami is another gargantuan item, laden with a mix of fatty and lean slices, but the tenderness is exemplary. So is the flavor, except that I found it to be rather heavily salted.

Two big thumbs up.

When Zora says that a particular Braunschweiger is outstanding, listen to her! I will admit to being slightly daunted when I first unwrapped the sandwich and saw the layered slabs of Braunschweiger in there, each at least as thick as a dime's diameter, dressed with a generous amount of thinly shaved red onion, and some nice and crunchy sweet pickle. But it truly was fantastic, certainly the best I've ever had.

Naturally, I dragged gubeen back there the next day to load up on some items, including lunch. The pastrami is another gargantuan item, laden with a mix of fatty and lean slices, but the tenderness is exemplary. So is the flavor, except that I found it to be rather heavily salted.

Two big thumbs up.

Funny (in the best of ways) :D Was this your first time there? Either way, congrats on coming into the fold.

I think the Roseda comments might be deserving of their own thread.

Roseda uses several feeding operations to finish their beef, and each uses various sources. One uses culls and trims from a wholesale market, one uses the ckear cut from farms after the original grain has been harvested {the stalks, unharvested grain etc}. They all use silage of variou sources, hays and a mix of grains and cereals. These days, corn is the highest priced so it is one of the lowest utilized.

The issue for Roseda is to balance the proteins, fats and fiber to control the pH level so that the cows are not in distress and have normal digestive practices. The idea is also to feed the cows real foods, and not an industrially manufactured product designed to produce maximum marbeling and to keep the cows just alive till slaughter, with no concern of the quality of existence of the cows. Roseda is a growing company and their cow may spend a longer time on finishing if their herd is growing faster than sales. As such, they have to make sure their animals can stay healthier for a longer time. On a CAFO, where the animal is on a prescribed diet for a specific time period, the animal is basically in as poor health as is consistent with maximum weight gain as possible at the time of slaughter.

Roseda makes little claims about natural or other processes... they are straightforward in saying that they do what they do to produce tender and flavorful meat. Their belief system is that in order to do that, you have to give up the factory farming model.

:Last add, I feel that Roseda is one of those "middle ground" approaches. They do a lot that is right. Their beef is more expensive and their practices are far more benign for the environment. If this model were the standard model, we would avoid the ecological horro that is the CAFO system, we would not be creating resistant bacteria that now kill in the tens of thousands {and are traceable back to beef, chicken & hods), not be polluting our waterways and ground waters with the mountains of shit that factory farming produces {the largest source of nitrogen run off to the Chesapeake is home use of fertilizers but the second is the poultry and hog farming for Purdue and Springfield etc} I do my part by having a brown lawn, buying chickens from low intensity farms, buying Roseda etc.

So according to the Wash Post today, the sandwich with 1.5 pounds of meat is $12. A pound of sliced pastrami is $12. I know which one I'm getting. :lol:

I think that might be wrong. I remember the per-pound price for the pastrami/corned beef being in the upper teens (which would put it in line with other area delis).

Hmm...hadn't noticed that, but I did question whether the slices of pastrami were REALLY 1/2" thick as reported. Unless the bread pictured was 3" thick, that meat wasn't 1/2". Yes, it was thicker than some of the others, but I doubt 1/2". Seriously, the metric system is soooo much better. Some pastrami looked like 2-3mm slices while others looked to be 5-6mm. A half-inch is about 12mm.

[Dang, forgot to quote the appropriate post above. Wish there were a way to add that in editing.]

Edited by DrXmus

So according to the Wash Post today, the sandwich with 1.5 pounds of meat is $12. A pound of sliced pastrami is $12. I know which one I'm getting. :lol:

I got a pastrami sandwich this weekend and ate half of it with around half the meat from that one half taken out because it was so big. Out of curiosity, I weighed the meat leftover when I got home - nearly 1lb. I don't think their 1.5 lbs. claim is an anomaly and thought the same thing as you - its cheaper to buy a sandwich and save the leftovers.

Hmm...hadn't noticed that, but I did question whether the slices of pastrami were REALLY 1/2" thick as reported. Unless the bread pictured was 3" thick, that meat wasn't 1/2". Yes, it was thicker than some of the others, but I doubt 1/2". Seriously, the metric system is soooo much better. Some pastrami looked like 2-3mm slices while others looked to be 5-6mm. A half-inch is about 12mm.

[Dang, forgot to quote the appropriate post above. Wish there were a way to add that in editing.]

Half the slices of meat on mine were easily 1.2 cm.

• Like 1

I think that might be wrong. I remember the per-pound price for the pastrami/corned beef being in the upper teens (which would put it in line with other area delis).

I've never bought corned beef at Stachowski's, but I've bought the pastrami four times, and the price was $11.99 per pound every time.

The pastrami slice thickness varies from visit to visit. We'd discussed that some upthread. The most recent sandwich I got was probably close to 1/2" slices but the most recent sliced and packaged pastrami I bought was thinner. I do think you could ask for whatever you prefer since they slice to order.

The thing that most jumped out to me on that WaPo side-by-side analysis (aside from the Stachowski sandwich's size making it seem like the freak of nature of the five) was the amazing value represented by the number .54. As in, just 54 cents per oz of sandwich! No other spot was as low as double that. The next closest, Wagshal's $1.40. Wow.

Oh--and on the quote, there is a way. Once you're editing, if you decide you then want to include a quote, just put your cursor wherever you'd like the quote to appear, scroll up to the relevant post and hit "quote." :)

Can't comment on the price, but as far as the pastrami being salty, or smoky, that seems to vary. Maybe that's a good thing - handcrafted, small-batch pastrami, with a natural range of flavors depending on the individual piece of beef, day-to-day variations in the smoker, tweaking of the recipe or the time spent curing leading to a one-of-a-kind product. Maybe that's a bad thing - just can't get it consistent. You'd have to ask Jamie about that. But the last pastrami sandwich I had there, and the most recent mound of sliced pastrami I walked out with, looked, smelled, and tasted different, and were cut very differently as well.

To me, that's good - I like the variation. But if one of those had been too salty to eat, yeah, I wouldn't be happy. Tell Jamie. I'm sure he'd want to know.

• Like 1

Holy Fucking Shit! I just consumed 1/2 of a Pastrami Sandwich. Well, 1/2 less 6 slabs of the eat, meaning I had 2/3 the meat of 1/2 the sandwich. And I am in a blissful smoky haze as well as the bearer of a distended belly. The only thing stopping me from eating more was the fear of explosion!

Now to enter an argument offered on various threads: Is the the best Pastrami Sandwich I have ever had? The sandwich purposely offers no resemblance to a {in descending order, your list may vary, but it is wrong!} Katz's, Brent's, Art's, Canter's Nate & Al's,Langer's, Juniors, or any other "Jewish Deli." The meat is thickly sliced, thickly smoked and lacks the elasticity of Jewish style corned meats. Who the fuck cares? It is a work of art... or Jamie as the case may be.

But the total experience landed me smack dab in between a classic Jewish deli sandwich and the brisket I had at many a name unremembered Austin Hill Country BBQ Barn ventured into whilst escaping from the endless purchasing meetings I suffered thru at WFM. While the corning was there, the smoke and the succulence and the proper chew of the meat was what drove this sandwich.

So is it a riff on classic Jewish Deli Sandwiches? I'd say probably, but it blows apart themodel and thats what counts.

Now for the nitpick: the pickles was a salty mess and it was packed inside the inner wrapping instead of between that and the outer wrapping of the sandwich which rendered the upper bread soggy {the lower bread was soggy from absorbing the juices}. Guanciale should be unsmoked so I will say the smoked hog jowel sliced thin was super except for the jerky though skin which I would next time cut off and use to flavor a pot of beans. However, this quibble did not keep me from inhaling half of my purchase driving the 7 minutes from Jamie's to Dino.

And last add: to the lady who flipped me off when I got the parking space right in front.... HA HA HA!

• Like 3

Holy Fucking Shit! I just consumed 1/2 of a Pastrami Sandwich. Well, 1/2 less 6 slabs of the eat, meaning I had 2/3 the meat of 1/2 the sandwich. And I am in a blissful smoky haze as well as the bearer of a distended belly. The only thing stopping me from eating more was the fear of explosion!

Now to enter an argument offered on various threads: Is the the best Pastrami Sandwich I have ever had? The sandwich purposely offers no resemblance to a {in descending order, your list may vary, but it is wrong!} Katz's, Brent's, Art's, Canter's Nate & Al's,Langer's, Juniors, or any other "Jewish Deli." The meat is thickly sliced, thickly smoked and lacks the elasticity of Jewish style corned meats. Who the fuck cares? It is a work of art... or Jamie as the case may be.

But the total experience landed me smack dab in between a classic Jewish deli sandwich and the brisket I had at many a name unremembered Austin Hill Country BBQ Barn ventured into whilst escaping from the endless purchasing meetings I suffered thru at WFM. While the corning was there, the smoke and the succulence and the proper chew of the meat was what drove this sandwich.

So is it a riff on classic Jewish Deli Sandwiches? I'd say probably, but it blows apart themodel and thats what counts.

Now for the nitpick: the pickles was a salty mess and it was packed inside the inner wrapping instead of between that and the outer wrapping of the sandwich which rendered the upper bread soggy {the lower bread was soggy from absorbing the juices}. Guanciale should be unsmoked so I will say the smoked hog jowel sliced thin was super except for the jerky though skin which I would next time cut off and use to flavor a pot of beans. However, this quibble did not keep me from inhaling half of my purchase driving the 7 minutes from Jamie's to Dino.

And last add: to the lady who flipped me off when I got the parking space right in front.... HA HA HA!

In case you didn't notice it, I loved the place!

• Like 1

In case you didn't notice it, I loved the place!

"Like" isn't strong enough. I hereby nominate Dean's pastrami sandwich post for Post of the Month. Great stuff.

You're RIGHT about the pickle. I totally neglected to mention that when I posted pastrami sandwich raves. Big Miss. It's important before people start murmuring 'sacred cow' about this place that we fairly ding it when deserved. Though it's but a sapling on a mountain of otherwise amazingness, that mis-wrapped, soggy-bread-inducing pickle thing is a big Fail indeed.

Like you, I just about finished off half the sandwich. There should be prizes if you can do that. Reminds me of a place in NJ in the 70s and 80s called Farrells's but that'd be a big OT tangent.

LOVE the parking image at the end. And that you quoted yourself so the entire, only-slightly-rambling but uber-enthusiastic rant appears twice. Yours is a veritable model for what a hyperbolic, substantive, freakin' delighted post should be. At least that's my view.

Nicely done, Dean. Very nicely done. And, hope you made it back to Dino unscathed without any dings and without getting flipped off. Sometimes those old ladies have been know to hide in waiting behind a corner until their prey comes back out, then get behind said culprit on the road, then pull up alongside and beep and flip. :D

Say hi next time. Were you wearing a pullover with an evil logo?

Say hi next time. Worked from home today so headed down there to pick-up some meats to grill on the green egg this weekend. Got some of the hangar steaks and sausage. Also picked up the grinder for lunch, which will be lunch for the entire weekend.

This reminds me of an incident that occurred some years ago, on that stretch of Connecticut. I was driving north, and was stopped at a red light at Macomb Street, coming off the (wonderful) Klingle Valley Bridge, which is three lanes in each direction (non-rush-hour). I was in the middle lane of the three. The right lane becomes a parking lane once you get through the intersection, and some guy pulls up on my right, obviously intending to cut in front of me once the light turns green. That annoyed me, so when the light changed I pulled forward quickly, so that he had to get behind me. So the guy pulls behind me, then into the left lane, pulls even with me, rolls down the window and yells "You goddamn piece of fucking shit!" Made my day. I smiled and waved. This is frightfully off topic, but there's no thread where it wouldn't be. To bring it back on topic: I agree! Jamie's pastrami rules!

..... pulls even with me, rolls down the window and yells "You goddamn piece of fucking shit!" Made my day. I smiled and waved. This is frightfully off topic, but there's no thread where it wouldn't be. To bring it back on topic: I agree! Jamie's pastrami rules!

That was you? :wub:

• Like 1

Say hi next time. Worked from home today so headed down there to pick-up some meats to grill on the green egg this weekend. Got some of the hangar steaks and sausage. Also picked up the grinder for lunch, which will be lunch for the entire weekend.

Also a very brief OT diversion but I feel emboldened by The Hersch's dalliance.

Green Egg. If you really enjoy grilling, is that kind of a no-brainer? I'm on the verge of picking one up this year to complement (not replace) a great Weber gas grill. You love it, right? Anyone who's even mildly serious about grilling, roasting, smoking outdoors should just get one, right?

post-2258-0-48916100-1360982722_thumb.jp

I got a pastrami sandwich this weekend and ate half of it with around half the meat from that one half taken out because it was so big. Out of curiosity, I weighed the meat leftover when I got home - nearly 1lb. I don't think their 1.5 lbs. claim is an anomaly and thought the same thing as you - its cheaper to buy a sandwich and save the leftovers.

I'd planned to eat some of my pastrami sandwich and bring the rest home but discovered that my appetite had evaporated during my walk around Georgetown before the stop at Stachowski's. The sandwich was still warm when I got it home, about an hour after it was prepared. I weighed it before opening the packaging: 2 lbs. 1 oz. Minus the wrappings, 2 pickles, and bread, the meat had to be a generous 1.5 lbs. I thought I could eat 1/4 of it. I managed the bread from 1/4 and probably not even half the meat from that.

Also bought a nice piece of pork loin for roasting and a few veal/pork sausages. I got there just before the lunch rush. They're doing a good business, it seems. That's a great spot to have that kind of market.

Now for the nitpick: the pickles was a salty mess and it was packed inside the inner wrapping instead of between that and the outer wrapping of the sandwich which rendered the upper bread soggy {the lower bread was soggy from absorbing the juices}.

So I was stupidly surprised by my gargantuan, thickly slice pastrami sandwich with half-sour pickles sogging up the bread. I say stupidly, because if I had read Dean's and others' comments in this thread I would have known EXACTLY what to expect. I quote Dean because his thoughts exactly mirror my own. The sandwich is good and I ate a half of it in the shop - but just not my favorite type of Pastrami. I think it came down to too thick a cut (which Josef, Jamie's son, explained changes every time it is sliced - not sure why, but that is what he said). While in the past year or so, I've had really good thicker cut Pastrami at Langers' in LA and DGS here in town, Stachowski's was much thicker and less elastic as Dean says and so wasn't the best for me. That being said it was totally worth a special trip there to try it and it is a HUGE bargain even compared to the giant NY deli which would charge about $20 for this monster. I guess great minds think alike I was already planning on making hash from my leftover half. Anyone have a good recipe? (also the shop had its own tubs of pastrami hash for sale in the fridge). I also had a big duck sausage with very aromatic (juniper?) flavor last night - which was very high quality. Not sure if I did it justice though grilling for a bun for half and sauteeing the other half to toss with pasta (Jamie gave opaque suggestions when I asked, grill it, use it soup, or eat it - it is fully cooked). Overall I liked the shop and would try some other things there but probably get my pastrami fix elsewhere. Oh and street parking was no problem around lunchtime on Wed.

Stopped by during the gorgeous weather yesterday afternoon. Got Doris Day parking on P Street, just three spaces down from the door. Picked up some lamb merguez sausage - they have it in the freezer downstairs, not in the glass cases - and some pastrami, and split a meatball sub with my +1. Holy crap, that was a good sub. I would have liked the meatballs to have been packed a little more loosely, but that's a personal preference; the flavor was great, the marinara was the perfect consistency for a sandwich and didn't drown the bread, and they kindly added hot peppers upon my request.

I don't know what the sandwich cost. (Stachowski's website says $12.99 but I don't think it's kept scrupulously up to date.) The pastrami by itself used to cost $11.99 a pound. As of a couple of weeks ago, that had gone up to $14.99 a pound, and for my money that's still a good price for a product as good as this.