Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

A significant part of a better restaurant is its wine program. As the restaurant grows in its excellence so does its dependence on wine. RTS is a excellent restaurant that has taken a significant step backwards with Mark's departure. In all of our dinners the wine and Mark's passion for presenting his own taste and choices were a major reason for the success of the dinner.

The national James Beard Award winning Mark Slater is not going to be replaced.

A significant part of a better restaurant is its wine program. As the restaurant grows in its excellence so does its dependence on wine. RTS is a excellent restaurant that has taken a significant step backwards with Mark's departure. In all of our dinners the wine and Mark's passion for presenting his own taste and choices were a major reason for the success of the dinner.

I am not sure what the purpose of the previous five posts is and know nothing about why Mark is no longer at Ray's the Steaks; I would just prefer that my previous post not be buried by the preceding videos and seemingly obscure verbiage.

I agree with you there. One of my favorite things about Ray's was getting Mark's opinion on wine, and usually learning about a new one when I visited. Then there was his hospitality - the impression he made on my parents the first time they went there was HUGE, and they still talk about it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the steaks, but I usually spent more money on wine then I did on meat...

Bad translation. "Aluf" actually means "Major" in this context, not "champion".

A few literal mis-translations as well from someone who wasn't there--especially missed was the allusion to Bialek, "I once had youth, and they were beautiful. Where is my youth now?".

Sure is fucking hot, though, isn't it?

Thank you all for the kind words. I really enjoyed my time at Ray's. I will always be grateful to Michael for the opportunity he gave me, and his very generous support during my recent cancer treatment, multiple surgeries (12!) and long recuperation time. I am taking this time to relax a little and ponder the next chapter.

Thank you all for the kind words. I really enjoyed my time at Ray's. I will always be grateful to Michael for the opportunity he gave me, and his very generous support during my recent cancer treatment, multiple surgeries (12!) and long recuperation time. I am taking this time to relax a little and ponder the next chapter.

Best wishes Mark.

Godspeed.

I went to Retro Ray's for the very first time last night, and since the drawing card of this new space - which is really just a "third" dining room in the main Ray's The Steaks location - is "retro pricing," I decided to supplement our meat cravings with a little experiment.

Since my young dining companion and I usually split everything we order anyway, we decided to get 1) the cheapest steak on the menu, and 2) the most expensive steak on the menu to see how they compared 1) with each other, and 2) with other comparable steaks in the DC area.

The Bistro Special ($23.99) is a limited three-course menu (appetizer, main course, dessert), available only at Retro Ray's, and only on Sunday through Thursday evenings. Matt chose a cup of Sherried Crab Bisque, a Hanger Steak Au Poivre, medium-rare, seared with black peppercorns, with a port-wine peppercorn cream, and a slice of Key Lime Pie. As with all the Ray's steaks, this comes with a little bar-snack of spiced cashews, homemade focaccia-style bread, and family-style mashed potatoes and creamed spinach.

I didn't notice the second page on the menu we received (which may have been on the back), but the one on the internet shows the Hanger Steak Au Poivre, by itself, for $16.99. If this is the case, it would be exactly what's described in the above paragraph, minus the Sherried Crab Bisque and Key Lime Pie, for $7.00 less.

That was the low end; Ray's The Steaks now offers several cuts that have broken the $40 barrier, and I ordered the (tied for) most expensive steak on the menu (you also get to choose from the regular Ray's The Steaks menu at Retro Ray's), The Delmonico ($40.99), medium-rare, a "Bone-In Ribeye (The Most Famous Steak Of All)" from the "Dry Aged Cuts" section which touts its six different steaks as having "Peerless Flavor and Texture, For the True Connoisseur, Aged In House 45 Days, Butchered and Hand-Trimmed Daily." Other than the soup and dessert, my order got me all the other items that Matt received: nuts, bread, potatoes, spinach, plus a few grilled onions and a little tub of horseradish cream sauce.

Note also that Ray's now features several "Steaks For Two" that run as high as $68.99. The legendary "Cowboy Cut" remains at $36.99, but I have to wonder whether that cut has shrunk because some of the ones that I've had in past years were indeed sized for two people. I suspect the Cowboy Cut is a lot like (or identical to) my Delmonico, which was quite large, with the difference being that it's not dry-aged.

The steaks arrived, Matt proffered me a goodly wedge of his Hanger Steak, I cut him off a hunk of my Delmonico, and the meat-fest began.

Let me cut right to the chase: the steaks here are (still) fantastic. And the really good news is that they were both fantastic - that hanger steak, at $16.99 (assuming you can get it for that) is one of the most amazing deals in town considering it comes with potatoes and spinach. Getting this au poivre is a great way to order it, and the sauce, simple though it may have been, worked beautifully with the black peppercorn crust. We both agreed my Delmonico was better, and it was also bigger, but it wasn't *so* much better that you should feel forced to drop $40+ here when you can get a fine steak dinner for $17 (*).

For our beverages, Matt got a Diet Black Cherry Cheerwine ($2.50) while I got a temptingly priced glass of 2010 Radio Boca Tempranillo ($5.00 for a generous pour) from Valencia, Spain. Poured from a 750 ml bottle, this wine was a little bit "meh" on the first sip, but all it took was one spiced nut, and all unpleasantries quickly resolved - it goes just fine with the food. Five dollars for a glass this large is such an attractive deal that I ordered a second glass - two glasses of wine with a steak dinner is nothing for me, but these pours are large enough (probably a good five ounces) that I didn't even finish my second glass.

As hard as it is to imagine, all of this food cost us a total, with tax, and a 20% pre-tax tip, that was still in the two-digit price range, but not by much: it was $99.95, and the check was made all the more sweet by two complimentary pieces of Tiger Butter.

And as far as comparing these steaks with comparable steakhouses in the DC area, well, I'd love to, but Ray's is the only place where I can afford to do the comparison. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that you won't find a better hanger steak for $16.99 than what we had last night, and you probably won't find a better steak than my Delmonico at any price.

(*) For a 6:15 AM breakfast, on his way to school this morning, Matt happily cross-tasted the sizable remnants of both steaks in the car, which had been packaged up with some extra mashed potatoes, and microwaved for 60 seconds, and preferred the hanger steak.

Just one person's view but whatever the story behind this story, Msgr. Landrum should be celebrated for giving it a real try when noone else did or does. At the the end of the day, a restaurant is a business and cannot continuing operating in the red unless it's the hobby of a billionaire. No doubt there will be some arrows fired at this news. Those arrows will be wholly and unequivocally unfair and without empathy.

Just one person's view but whatever the story behind this story, Msgr. Landrum should be celebrated for giving it a real try when noone else did or does. At the the end of the day, a restaurant is a business and cannot continuing operating in the red unless it's the hobby of a billionaire. No doubt there will be some arrows fired at this news. Those arrows will be wholly and unequivocally unfair and without empathy.

This is all true, except Landrum opened a place that any of us would have considered a wonderful addition to the neighborhood (and I live in Adams Morgan--a place Landrum has vowed never to venture--and I don't blame him) to eat at on a regular basis, except for all those people who consider a "special" restaurant to be Applebee's or Red Lobster. And that's a neighborhood he bravely tried to enter. Most of us on this site go to those kinds of places only under duress. The number of people who "enjoy" an ANNIVERSARY dinner at those places, if ever, are legion Never mind those who only eat out at MacDonald's and think that's a real treat. I'm serious. While we debate the cost of the new Minibar, there are people who could never in a million years afford a decent meal in what we all consider "affordable"--like the rest of the Landrum empire. That you can get the best steak you ever hope to eat in your life there isn't even an issue.

Landrum tried very hard to bring his philosphy and philanthropy to this neighborhood and it proved to be his first failure. Give that neighborhood another ten years and try again. Gentrification is on the march and nothing, and nobody, can stop it. (Sez a person who has always lived in a rent-controlled apartment.)

Mr Landrum,

I had heard via a post supposedly of yours on ArlNow that wine could be brought to Ray's ^3 with no corking fee. You can imagine my excitement to find out that my favorite "Ray's" has such an offering - I just called Ray's ^3 to verify and was told there is a $10 corking fee. If there really isn't a corking fee, you might want to relay this information to your host/answering staff. If there is a corking fee, you might want to let ArlNow know to remove the post from "you" at this link: http://www.arlnow.com/2013/01/16/rays-hell-burger-closes-due-to-landlord-tenant-dispute/

Thank you,

Brenden

Gotta say that of the available places in DC that offer Steak and Cheese or (attempt) to offer a Cheesesteak, I do heart the "Nice N' Greasy Steak N' Cheesy" sammies currently available at Ray's to the 3rd.

The Shock-G (1/3 pound of quality ribeye, grilled onions & mix of provolone and american cheese on an 8" roll) has really good flavor and nicely filling. More of a 'cheesesteak hoagie' where I grew up (with the tomatoes and lettuce). I don't think I need to stuff myself with the larger 2/3 pound ribeye 2x cheese "The Biggie" (my cholesterol level thanks me). In comparison to Taylor Charles Steak and Ice's cheesesteak (tried several times) flavor-wise Nice N Greasy Steak N Cheesy wins out easily imo.

Note: sides are extra, in case you're wondering whether the taters below are included or not. Price for sides are cheap though.

EDIT: Avoiding the 'take food pics at a restaurant' discussion. If using a smartphone to take pics considered the free app Snapseed (iOS or Android). Lots of nice processing capability (at least to use on a smartphone).

camerazoom2013031413491.jpg

• Like 3

I really really REALLY wish any of the Arlington Ray's locations had a bar at which you could sit and eat/drink. Based on pictures/internet reports, I headed up the hill to Ray's to the Third this evening, hoping for a good meal, some good wine, and some old fashioned human interaction (my living situation and husband-less existence are starting to wear on me). Unfortunately, I guess due to the combination of Third and Hellburger, the bar that once was is now used as counter service, so the only seating is at tables. Bummer. I know some solo diners prefer to read a book and be left alone while they are eating, but I really enjoy sitting at a bar and chatting with my neighbors or the bartender - especially these days.

That said, if anyone wants company at Ray's, just let me know - I can be there in no time! :D

There is a small bar area at Retro Ray's, but last time I was there on a Saturday evening, there was no one working behind it and the surface was covered with bottles and glasses, so I assume it's not being used for its originally intended purpose right now.

I really really REALLY wish any of the Arlington Ray's locations had a bar at which you could sit and eat/drink. Based on pictures/internet reports, I headed up the hill to Ray's to the Third this evening, hoping for a good meal, some good wine, and some old fashioned human interaction (my living situation and husband-less existence are starting to wear on me). Unfortunately, I guess due to the combination of Third and Hellburger, the bar that once was is now used as counter service, so the only seating is at tables. Bummer. I know some solo diners prefer to read a book and be left alone while they are eating, but I really enjoy sitting at a bar and chatting with my neighbors or the bartender - especially these days.

That said, if anyone wants company at Ray's, just let me know - I can be there in no time! :D

I, too, miss the Rays to the Third bar area. It had started to develop that neighborhood, regular patron, comfortable feeling shortly before it needed to be converted due to the aforementioned real estate snafu. Hopefully once Hellburger finds a new home it will return - was a great place to get a glass of wine or two while waiting for your to-go order on a weeknight.

Not sure which one I dined at tonight, given the 'lovable quirk' of Multiple Locations and the combination of Ray's Hellburger and Ray's to the 3rd across the street from the original Ray's, but that's where I was tonight....and it was good. I had the sirloin skewers (two of them) with two sides, one of which was broccoli tops and the other of which was a salad that never appeared. No problem, the skewers were really good, cooked a bit rarer than the medium rare I requested, and interspersed nicely with jalapeno slices and onion slices. The broccoli tops were right on the mark. I would certainly return and order this meal again and again. Only next time I want the salad too.

• Like 1

Not sure which one I dined at tonight, given the 'lovable quirk' of Multiple Locations and the combination of Ray's Hellburger and Ray's to the 3rd across the street from the original Ray's, but that's where I was tonight....and it was good. I had the sirloin skewers (two of them) with two sides, one of which was broccoli tops and the other of which was a salad that never appeared. No problem, the skewers were really good, cooked a bit rarer than the medium rare I requested, and interspersed nicely with jalapeno slices and onion slices. The broccoli tops were right on the mark. I would certainly return and order this meal again and again. Only next time I want the salad too.

Broccoli tops prevent muffin tops.

• Like 3

. . . the skewers were really good, cooked a bit rarer than the medium rare I requested . . .

I learned a long time ago to request my steaks "Medium" at every place, including all of the Landrum empire, in order to get what I considered "Medium Rare." Otherwise, they invariably come out too rare for me.

• Like 1

For some reason I always find the version of the Steak and Cheese at the old Nice & Greasy was better. It was more seared and chopped up with more juiciness (read: grease). The version at RTT3 all 3 times I've had it has been more of a clumps of meat and grayish in color and also more dry. I'm not sure why that is since everyone insists it's the exact same but I feel like the griddle is maybe not as hot or RTT3 doesn't use as much oil. The Nice & Greasy was also a little more seasoned.

Maybe Michael will chime in and tell me the grillman from Nice & Greasy is cooking at RTT3 and I can just chalk it up to 3 bad sandwiches.

Maybe they no longer offer the extra grease?  That would be a shame, and I'm not sure why they would choose to remove the option.  I was there about a month ago (maybe a bit longer than that) and the option was listed on the menu.

Don- your greaseman post had me laughing in the Midas waiting room.

We were at Rays TT3 the other night.  It was a burger and cheese steak night.  Fries, shakes.  Your typical teenage/boardwalk kind of dinner.  :D  

Of the folks sitting next to us one of the diners returned her burger.  They received some complementary fries in the interim.   The burger came back and was rejected again.  The diners were upset.  I do believe they had that burger removed from the check and the folks left somewhat unhappy.   Sort of interesting to sit so close to such unhappy folks.

Meanwhile we luxuriated on terrific food.   Mouthwatering burger.  Great greasy cheese steak.  Fries were terrific and two shakes to boot.   Now if only Rays TT3 had some sand and an ocean.  It would be so cool.

• Like 1

I haven't been to Ray's in a long time - how long can we realistically expect to wait on a Friday night at around 7ish (three people)?  We have a colleague from out of town who wants a nice dinner, but she also has work to do so she doesn't want a super late night.

I haven't been to Ray's in a long time - how long can we realistically expect to wait on a Friday night at around 7ish (three people)?  We have a colleague from out of town who wants a nice dinner, but she also has work to do so she doesn't want a super late night.

You can call and make a reservation now.

• Like 1