800 West Diamond Ave.

Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878

301-963-4847

301-963-5231 (F)

Exit 10 off of Route 270, turn right at light, across from NIST main

gate.

We are currently planning for an October grand opening - so stay tuned

for all the details!!!!

FYI, from what I know there are attempting to create "replica" pubs for the one in Rehoboth, right down the the decor. No on-site brewing though; kegs delivered from the mothership. Early word was the first one opening in Silver Spring, but I guess that fell through.

FYI, from what I know there are attempting to create "replica" pubs for the one in Rehoboth, right down the the decor.  No on-site brewing though; kegs delivered from the mothership.  Early word was the first one opening in Silver Spring, but I guess that fell through.

Yeah. Their putative location is still a hole in the ground. Seems to be hard to open things on time in Silver Spring, no names mentioned. :lol:

Edited to add: Off topic, but has anyone else gone off Dogfish Head beers a bit? I've had a few too many bad bottles recently. Victory Hop Devil and Stone Arrogant Bastard, that's where it's at right now.

Edited by Stretch

Off topic, but has anyone else gone off Dogfish Head beers a bit? I've had a few too many bad bottles recently. Victory Hop Devil and Stone Arrogant Bastard, that's where it's at right now.

I feel the same way about the DF beers right now. I never really liked the 120 minute IPA, and I'm a hop head, but the 60 minute, the 90, and the brown have been a bit funky in recent months.

I bought the aprihop and was underwhelmed by it about a year ago. 3 weeks ago I had one at a party and it was simply off, tasted like there was some sort of contamination - medicinal.

I bought one of the pumpkin ales 2 weeks ago to see what it was like and it, too had that funkiness.

Laying off the DF head at 8.99 a six.

Right now I'm digging most of Stone's offerings. Their IPA now comes in sixes at my local beer store and I've always loved their smoked porter. I've thought for awhile that victory's offerings weren't as hoppy as they used to be. I'm starting into the fall beer season, so it's O'fests and belgians until Christmas.

(Rocks feel free to delete this thread after tomorrow or move it to another forum if you deem necessary)

From the Dogfish Head Brewery e-mail list:

Tune into the History Channel tomorrow (Wednesday) night at 10:00 p.m.

(ET) to watch Modern Marvels ? the whole episode is about the history

of brewing - and it features Dogfish Head!!!!

The History Channel, Modern Marvels

Brewing

Airs on Wednesday, November 16 at 10:00pm ET

It's one of the world's oldest and most beloved beverages--revered by

Pharaohs and brewed by America's Founding Fathers. Today, brewing the

bitter elixir is a multi-billion-dollar global industry. Join us for an

invigorating look at brewing's history from prehistoric times to today's

cutting-edge craft breweries, focusing on its gradually evolving

technologies and breakthroughs. We'll find the earliest known traces of

brewing, which sprang up independently in such far-flung places as ancient

Sumeria, China, and Finland; examine the surprising importance that beer

held in the daily and ceremonial life of ancient Egypt; and at

Delaware's Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, an adventurous anthropologist and a

cutting-edge brewer show us the beer they've concocted based on

2,700-year-old DNA found in drinking vessels from the funerary of the legendary

King Midas. TVPG

Tune into the History Channel tomorrow (Wednesday) night at 10:00 p.m.

(ET) to watch Modern Marvels ? the whole episode is about the history

of brewing  - and it features Dogfish Head!!!!

On a side note, has anybody found anything worth eating at the Gaithersburg Dogfish Head besides the calamari?

Man cannot live on 120 Minute IPA alone...without eventually losing consciousness.

Dave

They still seem to be getting their distribution and supply issues worked out with the beers-- not a lot of stuff currently available. However, they did have a just tapped barleywine that was excellent.

Recommended idea: Hike at Sugarloaf and then hit Dogfish Head for post-hike beers.

Edited by cjsadler

I am wondering if the kegs actually have to go into the hands of the county liquor thugs before they are delivered from "the mothership".

Interesting question. I wouldn't think so since they aren't actually "buying" the beer from an outside source. But you never know in MoCo.

Interesting question. I wouldn't think so since they aren't actually "buying" the beer from an outside source. But you never know in MoCo.

They don't have to physically deliver the kegs to MoCo, but they do in some sense have to sell the brewed product to the county and buy it back for the taps. When Summit Station (previously Olde Town Tavern) opened, they even had to have a special law passed in Annapolis to allow brewpubs in Gaithersburg. There's a statewide law from the prohibition era that prohibits brewpubs, and the cities in Maryland that have them now have all had to lobby for a bill excepting their town from the law.

They don't have to physically deliver the kegs to MoCo, but they do in some sense have to sell the brewed product to the county and buy it back for the taps. When Summit Station (previously Olde Town Tavern) opened, they even had to have a special law passed in Annapolis to allow brewpubs in Gaithersburg. There's a statewide law from the prohibition era that prohibits brewpubs, and the cities in Maryland that have them now have all had to lobby for a bill excepting their town from the law.

I did not know that. It just makes your head spin. :lol:

Punkin' Ale is now on tap and it's quite good (and pumpkin beers are not really my thing). They seemed to have worked out a lot of kinks here: the beers are all available, fresh and good, and the food is decent as well.

Did you notice if the "Golden Shower" Pilsner was available? I've been trying to track it down....

It was listed on the chalkboard (bottles only), but you might want to double check that they still have it.

I've got no idea about the Gaithersburg location, but the only place I've been able to find it was at the P st Whole Foods. I heard reports that even Chevy Chase liquors didn't have any (granted, this was around a month ago). Probably best to call WF before you make the trip, though. I only saw it there on and off and I haven't looked recently.

As for the beer, it's not my favorite of theirs (and I liked it much better in its previous incarnation, Prescription Pils), but it's not a bad imperial pils. Still got a bottle in the fridge, waiting for next time I have somebody over who will appreciate it. Or maybe I'll just keep the bottle as a collector's item, as I've heard that the name's approval has been revoked for the next round. Anybody suprised?

There is no beer sold to go at Dogfish in Gaithersburg.

All the more reason to just drive out to the brewery to pick up bottles (they have tours MWF at 3pm if you can make it during the week), then stop by the brewpub for a meal and some beers.

It makes a beautiful weekend day trip, or an even more beautiful "take the friday off just because" trip.

Dogfish has announced they're locating a new brewpub in NOVA (likely Falls Church). Nice to have a brewpub with their quals in the area. Some of their beers are excellent (90 Minute IPA) while the lesser of their ilk are still drinkable...for the most part (not sold on the Chateau Jaiyu or Raison D'etre).

Dogfish has announced they're locating a new brewpub in NOVA (likely Falls Church). Nice to have a brewpub with their quals in the area. Some of their beers are excellent (90 Minute IPA) while the lesser of their ilk are still drinkable...for the most part (not sold on the Chateau Jaiyu or Raison D'etre).

There are some informed persons on the local beer lists that are saying that it will be in Seven Corners. I'm just wishing for the original Silver Spring rumor to bear fruit, or at least somewhere Metro accessible. At least they will no longer be hamstrung by the MoCo liquor regime so growlers are a good possibility.

At least they will no longer be hamstrung by the MoCo liquor regime so growlers are a good possibility.

Actually, I doubt growlers will be available since this will not be a brewpub. None of the beers will be brewed on site, so they can't sell growlers of beer to go per VA law. The DFH franchises are basically what are called "tied houses" in the UK: a place that only serves one brewery's beer. DFH does not own these places, but licenses their name and logo to the franchise owners in exchange for them serving their beer. They also have some say over decor and the type of food offered.

Actually, I doubt growlers will be available since this will not be a brewpub. None of the beers will be brewed on site, so they can't sell growlers of beer to go per VA law. The DFH franchises are basically what are called "tied houses" in the UK: a place that only serves one brewery's beer. DFH does not own these places, but licenses their name and logo to the franchise owners in exchange for them serving their beer. They also have some say over decor and the type of food offered.

All they need to sell growlers legally is a ABC Off license which many restaurants actually have although not usually advertised to the public. Yes, the beer will have to be produced and packaged elsewhere, so not the "fresh" growlers many are looking for but could be in 64 oz. size none the less.

Personally, this doesn't really excite me and 7 corners is hardly a great location in my mind, not to mention the market saturation on DFH in recent years.

There are some informed persons on the local beer lists that are saying that it will be in Seven Corners.

Did these "informed persons" say when? I'm less than a mile from Seven Corners, so this is very good news indeed.

ETA: Never mind, found it - "we're hoping for a February opening."

Did these "informed persons" say when? I'm less than a mile from Seven Corners, so this is very good news indeed.

ETA: Never mind, found it - "we're hoping for a February opening."

They are taking over a Pizzeria Uno which is on the SW side of that crazy intersection.

They are taking over a Pizzeria Uno which is on the SW side of that crazy intersection.

Great! Never did have any use for that place (actually on the SE side, off of Leesburg Pike, unless there are two of them). Easy access, and parking should be reasonably available, except when the grocery shoppers are out in force. Thanks for the info.

Great! Never did have any use for that place (actually on the SE side, off of Leesburg Pike, unless there are two of them).
The single worst excuse for pizza I have ever had was at that location. Everything came out raw, it was almost as if they decided to simply melt cheese over the vegetables, and the raw dough. It was absolutely foul.

Just got back from Dogfish on Saturday night. Very disapointing food experience. I am a fan of their beers and have been for some time. The beer was excellent as always, but the food was just not good. The mahi mahi sandwhich and the portobello mushroom and bluecheese burger both were poor. Seemed to me like they were skimping on the ingredients/quality. The burger looked and tasted like something which had been previously frozen. The fries seemed as though they had been cooked long ago. They are using poorer quality bread as well. I went here last year shortly after they opened and everything was much better. I won't be going here again for food.

Biscuit Girl and I were having dinner at Hong Kong Palace Tuesday night, and noticed that there was a lot of activity going on at the Dogfish Head Pub. We went by to look at the menu on the door, and one of the employees came out to say hi. They were doing training of the cooks that night, and will be open for business on the 26th. I'll probably be there to try the beer.

We hit the DFH pub in Falls Church yesterday for lunch. The food was mediocre but this place will be carried by the selection of Dogfish Head beers on tap and in large format bottles. Of the sides, get the onion rings. The fries were tough like they had sat around for a while, while the bartender said that they batter and fry onion rings to order. The wood grilled salmon sandwich wasn't anything great, but wasn't bad either. Biscuit Girl liked her turkey avocado club sandwich, which had deli-style turkey on brioche bread.

Now, the beer. Mmmm. Exotic varieties including Midas Touch are on tap, and very tasty in the snifter. They also have Golden Era on tap, which is a hoppy lager. One each of these 9% beers and I was done. Now, if we can only get a DFH pub nearer to a metro stop.

I've been back here several times since they opened. The calamari is always good. Also, the pizza is pretty good as well. We were there yesterday to watch football and have a couple of beers. It's not the best food at a pub, but it's good enough, and the Dogfish Head beers can't be beat. I just wish they had more on tap.

It seems like my tabs here are cheaper than at Rustico. I'm not sure if it is that the beer is that much cheaper, but I know the food is cheaper. It's also easier to find a parking space here.

I've been back here several times since they opened. The calamari is always good. Also, the pizza is pretty good as well. We were there yesterday to watch football and have a couple of beers. It's not the best food at a pub, but it's good enough, and the Dogfish Head beers can't be beat. I just wish they had more on tap.

It seems like my tabs here are cheaper than at Rustico. I'm not sure if it is that the beer is that much cheaper, but I know the food is cheaper. It's also easier to find a parking space here.

We ate at the original DFH in Rehoboth Beach two weeks ago. Great beer as usual, but the food was really marginal. The "grilled bread" our sandwiches were served on was really dry. Also, grilled asparagus was big fat stalks, and had no discernable flavor from being brushed with olive oil or anything. Finally, the fries were really quite bad.

Perhaps the pizza is the best way to go, but really, this kind of place should be able to turn out decent sandwiches.

We ate at the original DFH in Rehoboth Beach two weeks ago. Great beer as usual, but the food was really marginal.

Perhaps the pizza is the best way to go, but really, this kind of place should be able to turn out decent sandwiches.

Twins -

I couldn't agree more with your observation of the Rehoboth spot. My wife and I have been going by the place since their opening, and in our three trips this season that included food (I stop for beers and a hit of sports on TV often), the food has been disappointing.

The specials board has shrunk to where it shouldn't be called a specials board any longer. I went the pizza route, thinking it has always been good, and my 'Simple Inquiry' pizza was limp and pretty tasteless. The wait staff has been consistent, and the bar staff is always on top of things at the counter, but there seems to be unhappy look on everyones face most of this season. Especially the guy who looks like he is trying to run things there.

The food in Gaithersburg has been better recently than Rehoboth. Maybe the mothership is bit rudderless?

Twins -

I couldn't agree more with your observation of the Rehoboth spot. My wife and I have been going by the place since their opening, and in our three trips this season that included food (I stop for beers and a hit of sports on TV often), the food has been disappointing.

The specials board has shrunk to where it shouldn't be called a specials board any longer. I went the pizza route, thinking it has always been good, and my 'Simple Inquiry' pizza was limp and pretty tasteless. The wait staff has been consistent, and the bar staff is always on top of things at the counter, but there seems to be unhappy look on everyones face most of this season. Especially the guy who looks like he is trying to run things there.

The food in Gaithersburg has been better recently than Rehoboth. Maybe the mothership is bit rudderless?

It's possible that the mothership is morphing into one of those places where you just go to drink, listen to music or watch tv, and avoid the food. (Another example: Rock and Bowl in New Orleans) In addition to our disappointing meal at DFH, I ventured back for an outstanding concert by the legendary garage band, The Fleshtones. I have a great picture of lead singer Peter Zaremba singing on the table in front of the specials board. And I agree that the specials board is not very special. When we ate there nothing on it looked the least bit appealing.

The beers are great. I usually go for the IPA and my husband likes the Raison d'Etre. I thought their crab dip was good, but the pizza didn't do it for me. The onion was almost raw and the crust was thin but it resembled more like a tortilla than neapolitan pizza crust. Its also right by Hongkong Palace. I can bribe my husband with beer and then get some spicy Sichuan food later.

It looks like we didn't post about our last experience here, mostly because it was not good -- expensive, bad food with lackadaisical service. However, Tripewriter somehow persuaded me to give it another shop today, and it was actually very good! I had the burger, he had the chili. This was one of the best burgers I've had since Ray's Hell Burger first opened...fabulous. The chili -- or the taste that I got -- was also delicious. It was 180 degrees from the first experience and makes me think it won't be so hard to persuade me to go back next time!

It looks like we didn't post about our last experience here, mostly because it was not good -- expensive, bad food with lackadaisical service. However, Tripewriter somehow persuaded me to give it another shop today, and it was actually very good! I had the burger, he had the chili. This was one of the best burgers I've had since Ray's Hell Burger first opened...fabulous. The chili -- or the taste that I got -- was also delicious. It was 180 degrees from the first experience and makes me think it won't be so hard to persuade me to go back next time!
Gaithersburg or Falls Church?

I'm not the biggest fan of DFH beers. The food is passable and pricey compared to some bars. But I do find myself picking this place over its neighbors when I have time to kill in the neighborhood. The bar is comfortable, the bartenders know the beers, the TVs numerous enough that you can get an obscure game on, it's not that loud. All in all, not so bad at all.

I've been to the Falls Church location many times and have never been disappointed. Granted my expectations are low since I have them in the pub food category, but the food (pizza, sandwiches, salads, fish) and the service have always been good. I'm a lager fan so am generally not crazy about their beers but can always find something.

Went to the Gaithersburg location last night and had a Alehouse BBQ Burger ($9) with a 60 Minute IPA. The burger was cooked medium rare (as requested) but was utterly tasteless. Hard to believe that bacon, cheddar, and loads of BBQ sauce would add up to nothing but it did. The IPA was good as usual.