Bayou Bakery, Pastry Chef David Guas In Courthouse - Capitol Hill Location is Closed

Two days later and I can't stop thinking about the Catahoula that I enjoyed Friday afternoon. It was absolutely worth every calorie and every penny. The beer-boiled all beef hot dog had a great flavor and even better texture. It was a little hard to bite but that made it more fun. The onion marmalade was unbelievable. The creole mustard added the perfect kick. Of course, the roll was outstanding. I highly recommend it.

On a side note, I misplaced my hat 9in my pocket, but let's not talk about that]. When I asked the staff if anyone had turned it in, everyone bent over backwards to help. Another way I was impressed on my visit.

Finally stopped by around dinnertime yesterday. Got a cup of the gumbo, a muffalotta and an order of beignets. Pros: gumbo was nicely smoky, with lots of chicken and sausage; muffalotta was a tasty combination of salty meat, tangy olive salad and crunchy sesame roll; beignets definitely satisfied my taste for something fried and sugary. Cons: gumbo could definitely have been spicier, and the cup seemed a tad underfilled; muffalotta also felt a shade on the small side (although just a shade, because a lot of places charge more than $6 for a sandwich).

Stopped in yesterday for a quick breakfast and was not disappointed. The coffee was great - nice and strong. The steel cut oatmeal was quite good with plump raisins and the interesting addition of cane syrup, though the portion was maybe a bit small. The oatmeal only costs $2.25 I think so maybe that's the right portion for that price but I would have liked to eat more. Also noteworthy was the buttermilk biscuit - our 1yr old pummelled it. And yes, the beignets are sinfully delicious. Truly outstanding.

Anyway, this is a nice breakfast spot and a great addition to the neighborhood. I like the atmosphere there and would be interested in stopping back later in the day to sample the rest of the menu and some adult beverages.

I made my second visit to Bayou Bakery for breakfast last Sunday. So far, the results have been a bit uneven and I am not entirely sold on the pricing but I like the overall feel of the place and think it has great potential to be a unique neighborhood spot in Courthouse.

I have sampled on my visits:

Coffee - quite strong but overall quite good; not sure how many ounces are in the glass mugs are but I do recall both times feeling like I drained it awfully fast for a $2.25 cup of coffee

Buttermilk biscuits - first go round, as noted above, they were awesomely flaky, buttery, and delicious; second go round, inedibly salty; they need to make these more consistent

Beignets - completely delicious both times

Steel cut oatmeal - warm, hearty, wholesome; maybe sized a little small for the price

I am sure these folks are still ironing out some wrinkles and that consistency issues will be ironed out over time.

Hit Bayou Bakery for a late-ish lunch yesterday with my brother and a friend. A muffaletta (or however the heck you spell it) plus Zapp's chips and an Abita Turbodog was only $13 and change - not too bad.

My brother compares their muffaletta to Central Grocery's in NOLA as a "B". In size, it's about the size of half a Central Grocery one; I'd give it more of a B+/A-. It's very close I think, or in a much safer statement to make, the closest I've found in the area so far.

He thinks their beignets are much bigger than the ones he had in NOLA. Another friend thinks they're smaller than the ones at Cafe Beignet; I seem to agree with her, but would say they look to be the same size or bigger than the ones at Cafe Du Monde. My brother pointed out that he could shove a whole beignet in his mouth down at Cafe Du Monde, though not at Bayou.

Take that as you may. :)

My wife went by Bayou Bakery again this morning and tried the buttermilk biscuit again and found it to be really salty again. Maybe this is how the biscuits are supposed to taste but she said it was way too salty, which is what I thought last week when I tried the biscuit. Anyone else had this experience?

My wife went by Bayou Bakery again this morning and tried the buttermilk biscuit again and found it to be really salty again. Maybe this is how the biscuits are supposed to taste but she said it was way too salty, which is what I thought last week when I tried the biscuit. Anyone else had this experience?

The biscuits are my wife's favorite thing on the menu. I have tried them and I did not find them that salty. maybe it veries from batch to batch?

I have had the buttermilk biscuit a number (maybe too big a number) of times, and I cannot say I've ever thought of using the word 'salty' to describe the taste. I will also admit to having consistently covered my biscuit in the available apple butter or honey each time.

I've found that if you lay the halves of the biscuit flat, pour honey on them and then wait for a few minutes (this is where the apple butter covered biscuit comes in handy), you end up with all the honey absorbed into the body of the biscuit. The result is like a honeycomb, but with biscuit instead of wax holding the sweetness together.

TSchaad

The biscuits are my wife's favorite thing on the menu. I have tried them and I did not find them that salty. maybe it veries from batch to batch?

The biscuits do seem to vary from batch to batch as I have had them once not salty and twice too salty. Maybe it's just a consistency issue. A minor gripe, I still really like this place.

This is the third Sunday Bayou has been open, and when I went there with my wife for lunch at around noon, the place was slammed! All the tables and counter spaces were occupied, and people who couldn't get a table were standing around the pickup area waiting for their orders. Looks like I'll have to work on my timing if I want to indulge my urge for an Arm Drip on the sabbath.

TSchaad

Went in last week and ordered a decent tasting of their evening offerings. In short my girlfriend and I were very impressed with everything we tried. Since the arm drips aren't available at night we went with a selection of small plates. The andouille with dijon is one link sliced on a carving board with a shmear of dijon if you need it. You most likely won't need it. The andouille is smoky, greasy, and aggressively seasoned - and I mean that in the best way possible. The boudin with creole mustard and saltine crackers came with the same carving board prep, but with different mustard and the link was simply pierced to squeeze out on the crackers. The boudin was pleasantly liver-y but was slightly mild compared to the aggressiveness of the andouille. That's by design though, because with the bite of the creole mustard and salt from the cracker you end up with a perfect bite. This was easily the best boudin I've had in the area since moving here 3 years ago. It's a family recipe and I believe the sausages are being made to order by Stachowski. Between what I've tasted here and at the underrated Lyon Hall, it's looking more and more like that the best encased meats in the DC Metro Area are to be found in the Courthouse/Clarendon area.

We also had the creole cream cheese with pepper jelly and petite buttermilk biscuits. The cream cheese came in a small jar, topped with the jelly, and we mixed the two together before applying (liberally) to the biscuits. No salt issues with our biscuits but they clearly hadn't come out of the oven recently. Not stale, but probably from that morning. No issues with them being too salty, either. Creole cream cheese had the right soft consistency. Worth a try if you've never had it before. Gumbo had a deep dark chocolate color from a long cooked roux. I know that isn't the thing for everyone but I like my gumbo as black as my coffee, so I loved it. Nice amount of seasoning to the gumbo and a decent amount of chicken and sausage were in there as well.

Beignets were good but almost a little too airy for my taste. I actually preferred the ones at Cajun Experience, but they are 'cheating' by using the CDM mix. The porkorn is caramel corn mixed with crispy pieces of Benton's bacon. I love everything that come out of Alan Benton's smokehouse, so I knew this was going to be right in my wheelhouse. It made for a nice treat the next day and I'm not sure I'll be able to visit BB again without grabbing another bag for the road.

It's very weird for me to see a 'trend' of restaurants popping up all of a sudden serving Louisiana cuisine. While I liked Cajun Experience's reliance on LA product, it's not fair to really compare the two places when one is essentially a coffee shop and the other is trying to be a mid-priced bistro. That being said, while both establishments are good, I think the food at BB is being executed at a higher level, at a fairer price, by a proprietor who was still in house at closing time on a random mid-week evening. I take all those things to be very good signs, and now I just need an excuse to get my butt to Arlington in an afternoon so I can get one of those arm drips...

I went with a friend before a show at Iota last month & forgot to post. I had the gumbo & boudin, and agree with ad.mich that the boudin is excellent. My friend generously shared a couple of bites of his muffaletta, & I can't wait to get one the next time I'm there. Got some of pralines & King Cake to bring to a NOLA native, who pronounced them "as good as home."

Just wish they weren't so far away. :)

My sister-in-law was having a Mardi Gras birthday party last week and asked me to bring a sack of beignets from Bayou Bakery. I have to say that they were heavenly. I kept thinking about them for days afterwards. Her brother-in-law claimed they weren't authentic because they should have more air in them, but I didn't care if they were authentic or not--they were great. Sort of like the best jelly donut you ever had except there was no jelly.

Here's a question for any Louisiana natives/groupies: am I wrong to expect a blend of chicory coffee and milk when I walk into a restaurant like this and order cafe au lait? 'Cause when I ordered one here I got an espresso-based beverage. I know people play fast and loose with food terminology, especially when it comes to coffee beverages, but still...

Elizabeth, you know the answer to your question - but to serve as your friendly Louisiana native - cafe au lait is NOT an espresso-based beverage. It's coffee and hot milk. Traditionally in New Orleans the coffee has chicory; traditionally elsewhere it might be French press or regular coffee. It's never espresso. That's called a latte :)

But did you try the catahoula sandwich? Mighty tasty...

Elizabeth, you know the answer to your question - but to serve as your friendly Louisiana native - cafe au lait is NOT an espresso-based beverage. It's coffee and hot milk. Traditionally in New Orleans the coffee has chicory; traditionally elsewhere it might be French press or regular coffee. It's never espresso. That's called a latte :)

But did you try the catahoula sandwich? Mighty tasty...

Yeah, I know, but it's the second time that's happened at a Louisiana-themed restaurant (the other was Acadiana), so now I'm not sure what to expect. Guess I have to ask next time...

Didn't try the catahoula. Gumbo and beignets were good, though. So was the chicory coffee, though I had to go to the little prep area to put (cool) milk into it to get the beverage I wanted. Next time I'll just be one of those irritating people who tell the help how to do their job. :)

Traditionally in New Orleans the coffee has chicory

If by traditionally you mean years and years ago, then perhaps. Even in New Orleans, even in the most traditional of restaurants, coffee and chicory is something you'll have to ask for (if they have it at all). "Standard" coffee is the standard, for better or worse.

If by traditionally you mean years and years ago, then perhaps. Even in New Orleans, even in the most traditional of restaurants, coffee and chicory is something you'll have to ask for (if they have it at all). "Standard" coffee is the standard, for better or worse.

That may be right - I moved away 17 years ago - but last year, the version at La Boucherie came standard with chicory. Either way, espresso is ... incorrect.

Either way, espresso is ... incorrect.

Amen.

Let's go with small victories here... there are now multiple restaurants in the area serving Louisiana-style cuisine that would not shutter in 6 months due to mediocrity/authenticity issues if they actually opened in New Orleans. I'd reckon there are few (if any) other places in the country that can make that claim.

The arm drip is currently one of my favorite sandwiches in the area. I just wish getting one wasn't so wonky.... it's only served between 11:30am - 3pm, and NOT Sundays. If you are craving it you better keep in mind when it's available.

Went to Bayou Bakery today with the GF and the goal of trying a new place today for lunch/Brunch. Arrived around 2 pm and wasn't really aware of how things worked regarding seating/ ordering since there is a seating area with assorted table and booths. There was no one really present or around to direct us so we just grabbed a booth and sat for a bit looking over the place. Great space overall and comfortable, but music was a bit to loud for the time of day(primarily just one annoyingly loud song). Walked up to ordering area to ask the person behing counter how things worked. Basically its a Panera Bread type place in the sense that you order and pay for everything then wait till your name is called for your order. It's Sunday, so I was hoping for a casual, order as I go scenario and just try things randomly. Their order system does not allow this as you must pay for everything up front. Ok..thats their deal and I need to learn to accept it...but find it frustrating, especially since we wanted to start with Bloody Mary's and beignets, before we ordered anything else..but we ended up ordering all at once. Here is what we had:

Bloody Marys- good body and flavor, rimmed with Cayenne pepper

Beignets- 3 awesome mess of powdered sugar.....there is no way to eat without making a mess B)

Deviled Eggs with a kick-3 pieces, good, needed more kick IMHO

Jaymbalaya with shrimp and Andouille.....counter person said it was the last order and it tasted like it, especially since it was minus the shrinp and had 3 small peices of sausage..but tasty

Biscuit with Benton Bacon, Turkey sausage, with egg and cheese.....Very Good!!!!! However, I was confused about what I was getting becuase its not clear that its made as a biscuit sandwich as opposed to individual plates/sides.....They were out of Gravy, which I find frustrating given its 2 pm on Sunday and I assume that is a popular item. Counterperson also stated they were out of 3 of the 6 sandwiches they offer.

I understand the combo of buscuits and gravy, but did'nt connect that by ordering the previous items: buscuit, bacon, turkey sausage , egg and cheese that it would come as a sandwich rather than a plate of separate items....now I know, and I really enjoyed it, except egg is a 2X2 square of nuked egg for $0.50.

All in all was a decent meal and I would go back, as I would like to try the sanwiches.

They were out of Gravy, which I find frustrating given its 2 pm on Sunday and I assume that is a popular item. Counterperson also stated they were out of 3 of the 6 sandwiches they offer.

Well, they do close at 4:00 pm on Sundays, so it's understandable that they wouldn't want to over-prepare a Sunday-only item.

I've been in when the music was a bit too loud before (the table next to me agreed) and they will turn it down if you ask. I'm a fan of the grilled pimento cheese sandwich and recently enjoyed the Bayou chopped salad, topped with spiced shrimp.

(I think there are "order here" and "pick up here" signs over the counter, but they may not be obvious.)

I enjoyed the "blackened turkey meatball sub" off the specials board for lunch today. It was not so much as blackened as it was toasted, but it was quite tasty. There was not too much marinara, which was fine for me. Many meatball subs can fall apart before you finish and turn into a saucy mess.. This one held up until the final bite of the crispy roll. It also had a nice basil accent. I did not see any, but I sure tasted it.

Can I just say that as someone who frequently needs places right by courthouses to have meetings, or sit and prepare, or have a quick lunch that Bayou Bakery is a godsend. Today I needed to get some documents and they wouldn't be ready for about 15 minutes so I went over and had an iced coffee and beignets. It was so nice. The beignets were exactly like what they are supposed to be like (I brought one back for the assistant and got major brownie points too). I was actually quite pleased to be covered in powdered sugar because it meant they were the real deal.

Smelling everything going on in there I can't wait to go back and try some other things. Service was quick and very very nice.

Today at lunch the place was flooded with lawyers. I saw lots of familiar faces as I waited for my to-go muffaletta. I was so happily surprised when I saw it wasn't a quarter of a big sandwich, but instead a mini-muffaletta. It was very, very tasty. A nice balance between the olive salad, meat and cheese. I couldn't even wait to eat it back at the office, I was starving and ate it while on the way back to Alexandria.

The special at lunch today was The Bitter Pig: slow roasted pork, broccoli rapini, and aged provolone on crusty french bread. There was a nice subtle heat to this sandwich. The heat was in the spices, however, as my only (minor) complaint was the the pork was not warm. In fact, it was cold. Maybe that is how it is done in New Orleans. :mellow: It was still tasty, though, and I would definitely order it again.

Stopped in for some lunch. I really enjoyed the warm veggie sandwich, it had a nice variety and amount of veggies with chevre and warm oven dried tomatoes. The flavors were great. As were the beignets which I split with Hubby. It was his first time and he really liked it, which is good because this one of my favorite casual, easy to stop into places in Arlington.

The iced tea had a bit of a strange flavor, perhaps it was brewed too long, I dunno. The sweetened version is undoubtedly better, but also not as good for me.

I've found my new favorite lunch in Court House -- a cup of gumbo (flavors are richer and deeper than when I had it months ago, a biscuit (I asked if I could order one solo and they said 'sure,' though it's only listed as an order of two biscuits plus cream cheese and pepper jelly -- marvelous but too much for this lunch combo), and the salad with nice perky mixed greens (lovely mix of lettuces, not romaine/iceberg like "mixed greens" often is), spiced pecans, and absolutely marvelous soft goat cheese. Lots of pecans, plenty of dollops of goat cheese, nice balsamic vinaigrette, alternating with spoonfuls of gumbo and bites of perfectly flaky and tender biscuit - I was in heaven.

It still bugs me that "cafe au lait" here is espresso-based, but you can order a French press chicory coffee (the small size is very generous) and ask them for a cup of hot milk, too, then you can make a good cafe au lait at table. That and a bowl of cheese grits, or a bacon and/or egg biscuit, makes a fine breakfast. And then, since there'll still be plenty of coffee left, you can order some beignets for a second course. And then you won't feel like eating until dinner time... the next day.

I stopped in at BB for some takeout on Monday night -- Lundi Gras :) Good thing because the place was closed for a private party and doing takeout only.

So I got a bowl of gumbo, the boudin, and the deviled eggs.

In general, the food was very good. NOLA is my favorite city to visit in the US, so i am very familiar with the cuisine. The gumbo was really good, very flavorful. But, for $7, it was a little pricey. The boudin was excellent. Again, $7. it was a nice-sized sausage, so a better value than the gumbo. The deviled eggs (3 for $2.75) were good, but not has hot as the description would lead you to believe.

I will definitely go back -- I am interested in the Muffa-lotta and the beignets. I saw some beignets go out and they looked incredible!

Yesterday was the first time I'd noticed the grilled pimento cheese. That sounds delicious.

I bought Marshall's fiancee' a muffa-lotta (or however they spell it) for giving me several rides home from the Passenger and she loved it. They also tried the bread pudding with salted caramel sauce and loved it.

They had Gina Chersevani there last night doing drinks - looks like it was a real good time!

I was there on Monday for some beignets and coffee. The beignets were quite good- I would have liked them a touch hotter. The coffee had red hot cinnamon in it and was amazing. I took home some gumbo to have for Fat Tuesday. Having been in New Orleans recently, where I had both gumbo and beignets, I would say that Bayou Bakery stacks up. I don't get to No. Va. very often but hope to get here again soon. Wish they would have had some King Cake though.

They had it this past weekend, must have ran out, I know they take special orders for it. It looked good when it was sitting on the counter, but I went for beignets instead.

Thanks to watching too many Ragusa Bros. skits on YouTube (thanks, Taggart!) I almost tried to order a muffa-lotta with king cake instead of bread on Tuesday night.

Also, alcohol might've been involved.

They had it this past weekend, must have ran out, I know they take special orders for it. It looked good when it was sitting on the counter, but I went for beignets instead.

They had it by the slice on Mardi Gras, I got three to take home for us to eat before the Clarendon/Court House Mardi Gras parade.

Tune in to Food Network tonight at 10pm to see Chef Guas on Chopped.

Seems like he didn't watch the show very often in advance of competing. He would have had a better sense of what the judges look for and expect. Not providing some kind of starch for his main course was his doom, IMO. Rice or grits would have probably put him in the dessert round.

Well, if you are wandering around the Courthouse area, and find yourself in need of a refreshing morning beverage, I highly recommend their Iced Ginger Coffee. The ginger adds a kick like their chicory coffee, and the ice just cools you down, or at least for me it did.

The day my mom, little man and I went for lunch, their special macaroni and cheese had bacon and country ham. Mom and little man were equally hooked and little man looked like he hadn't eaten in days with his portion. Felt like he was a competitive eater-in-training. It was an extra porky day, as we also split a Bayou BLT. I think we would have ordered a second portion of the mac and cheese were it not for the beignets and house-made pudding. I haven't been to Rice to Riches in NYC, but I definitely feel like Chef Guas's pudding is some darn fine, real thick, honest-to-goodness pudding.

The day we went, a baby shower was hosted there as well, with a special order, multi-layer cake (it looked like a crepe cake but wasn't). I forgot the name of the cake and can't find it on their website, but learned that you can special order cakes from them. Can't wait to try that out.

It has been too long since I visited and now can't wait to save up to go back.

The day we went, a baby shower was hosted there as well, with a special order, multi-layer cake (it looked like a crepe cake but wasn't). I forgot the name of the cake and can't find it on their website, but learned that you can special order cakes from them. Can't wait to try that out.

Sounds like it might have been a doberge cake.

Co-sign on that ginger iced coffee. It's a great idea and perfect in this weather.