Oklahoma

alan7147

I just got back from a week long business trip in Oklahoma. At dinner this past Wednesday in OKC my consultants ordered lamb fries and told me that I had to try them.. Turns out they were lamb balls...It amazes me that these guys wont eat a raw oyster but will eat plates of lamb nuts.

It really is. I'd put it up there with, say, Sparks. It doesn't feel like suburban OKC, more like suburban Connecticut. Superb wine list-they probably get most of the better bottles allocated to the state. A lot of stuff is off the list, too. Probably 100% markup. I've been six or seven times over the years-if it was here I'd use it for business. Consistently excellent and the owner goes out of his way to make everyone feel special.

Imagine my surprise: the parmesan french fries accompanying my scarily large room service brisket melt are truffled. The hotel itself, the Skirvin Hilton, is a gem so I don't know why I'm so surprised really.

I also spent about eight hours in Tulsa, but the only food I consumed was a catered event for 1000 at the John Q. Hammons Renaissance (not the rubber chicken dinner I expected!).

Now I'm off to four (!!) nights in Memphis.

Should you find yourself in Stillwater, I recommend taking the time to make a visit to Boba Fusion Cafe. It's tucked away in a strip mall and you order at the counter, but they have some very good Asian food at very reasonable prices. The menu includes dishes with Korean, Thai, and Chinese influences; I was very happy with the '3-cup squid'. Others enjoyed their versions of bibimbap and pho. There is a chalkboard with daily specials (also posted on their Facebook page). The staff was very friendly and helpful in answering questions and making suggestions. They also have beautiful cakes and bubble tea. As a reviewer on one of those other sites said, Boba is "an oasis in what is otherwise a culinary desert of misrepresentative, trying-too-hard-and-still-failing "ethnic" restaurants" - not sure about the other restaurants, but it was a bright spot in a long month of travel to some pretty dull dining destinations.

If you wander even further west and wind up in Guymon, Pollo el Ranchero won't disappoint with any of their grilled chicken items. Also in Guymon, Urban Bru is a cosy local coffee shop with a nice menu of fresh food, mostly salads and sandwiches). And they even have a drive-thru window if you need your caffeine on the go.