Kliman Online, Todd Kliman's Chog - Tuesdays 11-12 AM on Washingtonian.com

Meaghan

Why didn't this guy go back to the bar and order himself a drink if he wanted one and was delayed momentarily. Sounds like that would have been a winning result.

That was exactly what my thought was. Hey, at least his car didn't get towed off the street to some random place it took him hours to find.

Izakaya Seki, DC

...succulent filets of grilled mero, the Japanese term for Chilean sea bass...

Okay to eat Chilean sea bass these days? According to the Monterey Seafood Watch:

CONSUMER NOTE

Consumers wishing to purchase MSC-certified Chilean seabass must be very careful. All restaurants and grocery stores that sell MSC products are required to have the MSC "Chain of Custody" certification. Legitimate purveyors should be able to produce this document when consumers ask. If the certificate is not available, assume the fish is not certified and don't make the purchase.

MSC=Marine Stewardship Council.

Should a food critic inquire about the origin of the fish and note whether it's MSC certified?

You are now required to register with Washingtonian.com in order to read the chats. I don't want to register for yet another website. Those chats are pretty much the only thing I look at there.

I agree. I think this is a misstep by the Washingtonian, and will seriously drive down their pages views and thus advertising revenue. I enjoyed Kliman's chats. Even though I subscribe to the magazine I will probably not register for the website. I get enough spam as it is, which is no doubt how they would end up using my email address.

I agree. I think this is a misstep by the Washingtonian, and will seriously drive down their pages views and thus advertising revenue. I enjoyed Kliman's chats. Even though I subscribe to the magazine I will probably not register for the website. I get enough spam as it is, which is no doubt how they would end up using my email address.

I created a dummy Gmail account that I use for registering for sites like that. I log in to once a month just to delete all of the messages, and so Gmail doesn't delete the account for lack of use.

I created a dummy Gmail account that I use for registering for sites like that. I log in to once a month just to delete all of the messages, and so Gmail doesn't delete the account for lack of use.

Hopefully people don't think of sites "like this" as a site "like that," though I suspect some do.

Let me reiterate here: We don't ever share your membership info, or "use it" in any way. Occasionally, you'll get an email from me personally, but that's about it.

There's participation here constantly, so I don't mind registering. I've stopped reading Kliman's chat, which I enjoyed before, because I can't be bothered to register.

Honestly (and this is more of a message to Washingtonian management than to you), I've stopped reading it too, and it's *only* because of the registration requirement. It's for the exact same reason I miss a lot of Washington Post articles because of that blasted Social Reader. Same reason I don't sign up for Rewards Cards even though I might get 10% off my bill (to the absolute disbelief of cashiers everywhere). I made this across-the-board decision long ago, and I'm happier this way.

Honestly (and this is more of a message to Washingtonian management than to you), I've stopped reading it too, and it's *only* because of the registration requirement. It's for the exact same reason I miss a lot of Washington Post articles because of that blasted Social Reader. Same reason I don't sign up for Rewards Cards even though I might get 10% off my bill (to the absolute disbelief of cashiers everywhere). I made this across-the-board decision long ago, and I'm happier this way.

Holy cow, dude, just sign up for the rewards cards with fake information. Create a dummy email, phone, address, make yourself a 90-year-old white grandmother who lives in Anacostia, and sign up for your "school" points to go to some underperforming school in the District.

And once you click "no" on the Social Reader, you go straight to the web page. I haven't been redirected to the Social Reader in months.

Holy cow, dude, just sign up for the rewards cards with fake information. Create a dummy email, phone, address, make yourself a 90-year-old white grandmother who lives in Anacostia, and sign up for your "school" points to go to some underperforming school in the District.

And once you click "no" on the Social Reader, you go straight to the web page. I haven't been redirected to the Social Reader in months.

I have a fake phone number I use at CVS and a few other stores.

Clicking on one of Tim Carman's Facebook updates today, I got a "take it or leave it" Social Reader page - I left it.

Washingtonian, as a magazine, is so completely devoid of substance that it's not worth me having to remember which email address I registered with.

I have a fake phone number I use at CVS and a few other stores.

Clicking on one of Tim Carman's Facebook updates today, I got a "take it or leave it" Social Reader page - I left it.

Washingtonian, as a magazine, is so completely devoid of substance that it's not worth me having to remember which email address I registered with.

You mean that you don't find the current "Hair" issue intellectually challenging? It has become even worse, if that's possible.

Same with fish. If you worry about overcooking, make sure to ask a server to have your fish prepared “medium rare.” Sounds strange, I know, to invoke a term associated with a steakhouse, but most good servers know what it means when you say this and will gladly put in that request for you. Most of the time, I am happy to report, the fish comes out exactly as asked.

Todd says you can order fish medium rare. Does that apply to all fish? And does the fish come out medium rare? Unfortunately I don't have a clue as to what he's talking about.

Todd says you can order fish medium rare. Does that apply to all fish? And does the fish come out medium rare? Unfortunately I don't have a clue as to what he's talking about.

I have been asked how I want my fish cooked, but only when it's something like a thick cut of salmon. And the fish comes out as requested just like ordering a steak, with the occasional over/under-cooked protein.

That makes sense but TK did not qualify his "advice." I prefer my salmon raw, cured, or smoked.

That's a whole different ballgame, man.

The thing that caught my eye is that TK mentioned he thought all pizzas at Graffiato were "good to very good," in particular mentioning the Jersey Shore.

Really?

Then either things have changed on one end, of they've not changed on the other. Which is it? I'm game to try again, but my God, the Jersey Shore I had was so bad that Graffiato hasn't even been on my Top 100 list to revisit, pizza-wise.

Huh?

You didn't order or taste the pizza?!? No wonder it didn't make your top 100 list! It's apparent that you have a major anti-Isabella bias, but to 'dis his pizza in at least two threads without ever tasting it seems a bit over the top.

I'd suggest leaving your friend and his taste-calibrated eyeballs home and actually try the pizza there. Go for the "Countryman". They finish it at your table by spreading/mixing a nearly raw egg across the surface. I'd never seen that done before and it seemed a little weird, but man, the taste was great.

Huh?

You didn't order or taste the pizza?!? No wonder it didn't make your top 100 list! It's apparent that you have a major anti-Isabella bias, but to 'dis his pizza in at least two threads without ever tasting it seems a bit over the top.

I'd suggest leaving your friend and his taste-calibrated eyeballs home and actually try the pizza there. Go for the "Countryman". They finish it at your table by spreading/mixing a nearly raw egg across the surface. I'd never seen that done before and it seemed a little weird, but man, the taste was great.

It took me ten minutes to figure out who you were talking to, then I realized you must be talking to me (and that you didn't finish reading my review). :) I'll try the Countryman next time.

Graffiato is ranked #1 in Chinatown, without any serious contender (until Daikaya just stepped into the picture). Bandolero is in Italic. *Not* biased, either for or against.

Please also go back and read the first three paragraphs of that review, and pay close attention to them. They apply to everyone: Mike, Spike, José, Warren, Michel, Roberto, Carla, Eric, Cathal. I honestly try to look at everyone as if they were equally famous, and as if they were strangers (which, for me, is much more difficult because I actually *like* these people) - it's the only fair way to do this. Speaking of which, you might want to get to Jackie's sooner than later. :(

I'm totally confused.

In the link in post #470, I don't see any mention of you eating the pizza. Certainly not in the first 3 paragraphs. The only place I see pizza mentioned is in paragraph 7 where you decide not to order it.

I get the feeling we're talking two different reviews. Here's the one I read from the link in post #470:

http://reviews.dcdining.com/2011/07/03/graffiato-chinatown/

Aw crap! I was just about to hit "post" when I looked at your review for probably the 10th time and only then did I realize that it continued below links for wine. I just assumed that was the end of the review since it was the end of your meal.

I humbly apologize. A thousand pardons!

And I agree with you, I had that calamari pizza too and didn't like it. After a bite or two I regretted trying something new and not sticking with the one I loved before.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and feel freed to delete all my posts.

I'm totally confused.

In the link in post #470, I don't see any mention of you eating the pizza. Certainly not in the first 3 paragraphs. The only place I see pizza mentioned is in paragraph 7 where you decide not to order it.

I get the feeling we're talking two different reviews. Here's the one I read from the link in post #470:

http://reviews.dcdining.com/2011/07/03/graffiato-chinatown/

Aw crap! I was just about to hit "post" when I looked at your review for probably the 10th time and only then did I realize that it continued below links for wine. I just assumed that was the end of the review since it was the end of your meal.

I humbly apologize. A thousand pardons!

And I agree with you, I had that calamari pizza too and didn't like it. After a bite or two I regretted trying something new and not sticking with the one I loved before.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and feel freed to delete all my posts.

No, I would have been pissed off too if I were you. That would have been a level of hubris that nobody (especially not someone who hangs a sign around their neck that says, "Hi! I'm something resembling a restaurant critic!") should sink to - that's exactly why I put a smiley face after I said you hadn't finished reading my review ... because I was pretty sure you'd stopped after paragraph 7 (or thereabouts) and gave me the finger. :)

Absolutely no apologies necessary, and this is a good reminder for us all not to pre-judge restaurants (which I am sometimes guilty of). I appreciate you having written it, truly.

Cheers,

Rocks

I’d love to continue the conversation we left in the middle of last week, about leftovers. Do you ask for leftovers from small restaurants or ethnic, family-run restaurants even if you aren’t certain you’re going to eat them?

I always do. I have friends who say that that’s bad for the environment, putting more styrofoam, etc., into the trash dumps. For me, it comes down to the fact that when I go to these restaurants, I am, in a very real sense, going to another country; and someone in that culture is inviting me into their home. I want, therefore, to show respect to the culture; to honor the culture.

If I'm not going to eat the left-overs, I won't take it. I have no problem with eating left-overs, so if I didn't take it, it probably sucked. Perhaps I should tell the restaurant that the food sucked and hope to have it comped? On the other hand, I ordered the food and I don't think restaurants guarantee that their food don't suck.

I went to restaurant site after site and quickly grew angry at how it was nearly impossible to find a restaurant that was NOT serving small plates or had a reasonable number of entrees in the under $20 range. I reflected and realized that's exactly the kinds of places I had been eating at for months now when I ate out

The chatter is angry because restaurants don't cater to his wants.

I do appreciate the notion of trying many small things at once, but my two main complaints are that 1. having spent time in Spain, these trendy restaurants certainly aren't priced the same way I'm used to having small plates priced, and 2. more personally, my social circle is made up of vegetarians, people who keep kosher, and some plain unadventurous eaters, and instead of haggling over what dishes to share, sometimes, I just want a delicious plate of food to myself that isn't so expensive for a casual night out.

And I appreciate the pasta suggestion, but I'm both trying to limit my carb intake and also tired of pasta being the only option for something filling in the under $20 range.

So DC must be priced like Spain? And it's the restaurant's fault that the chatter and his/her friends have to "haggle" over what to share? Is a casual night out an entitlement these days?

Can I rant and get angry about all the 4+ bedrooms with 3+ bathrooms, a nice yard, a renovated kitchen, renovated bathrooms, separate master shower and tub, granite counters, hard wood floors and a two car garage house in McLean costing over $1 million?

So DC must be priced like Spain? And it's the restaurant's fault that the chatter and his/her friends have to "haggle" over what to share? Is a casual night out an entitlement these days?

I have never been to Spain, but my family planned a trip there a few years ago (we had to cancel at the last minutes). During my planning, I definitely don't remember thinking, "Wow, these prices in Barcelona are MUCH cheaper than at home in DC." Maybe I'm wrong, maybe things have changed, I don't know.

The chatter is angry because restaurants don't cater to his wants.

Can I rant and get angry about all the 4+ bedrooms with 3+ bathrooms, a nice yard, a renovated kitchen, renovated bathrooms, separate master shower and tub, granite counters, hard wood floors and a two car garage house in McLean costing over $1 million?

Well sure...that's what online forums are for.

If the poster had simply said that we need more reasonably priced restaurants that don't do small plates, would that have been ok?

That's better than saying he's angry and he's entitled to more restaurants to his liking.

Well, if you thought that person was whiny and entitled, did you see this comment from Tuesday?

FOLLOWING UP: THE HIGH COST OF D.C. DINING:

Re: exploring the family-run ethnic restaurants in Virginia and Maryland, from last week ...

Todd, I don't have a car. And I'm not able to drive. So telling me to expect to drive 20 or so miles just isn't an answer.

Todd Kliman:

I don’t know what to tell you.

Take it up with the restaurateurs.

So apparently it's poor Todd's fault that cheap ethnic restaurants aren't all directly on Metro routes. :)

Todd Kliman:

I don’t know what to tell you.

Did you see this reader response?

"Then take the bus. Cheap restaurants are almost never close to

metro stops. However, they are close to public transportation because

that's how their underpaid staff gets to work."

I actually did laugh at loud at this, because I am a regular bus rider, and I often find people who will take the train would never even THINK of the bus.

It was a good answer.

• Like 1

What options would you recommend for a light Saturday nosh?

Nosh is defined as a light meal. Redundant much?

Where is the best place(s) to go for Hong Kong-style dim sum these days (as opposed to the northern version one might find at A&J or the Dumpling House)?

According to Wikipedia - Dim sum refers to a style of Cantonese food prepared as small bite-sized or individual portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates. I understand that A&J wants to market their food as "dim sum" and Tom Seitsema is eager to mislabel food to catch the fad but it ain't dim dum. In addition, East Dumpling House is a dumpling house, not a northern Chinese breakfast joint.

Dying to know what you think of The Sushi Bar in Del Ray, which as you know has banned all children younger than 18... I think it's a ploy for attention, personally, and find it abominable
The Sushi Bar's policy maybe a good short term policy but its a bad long term policy.
One day the buzz will die and they will need a more diverse customer base. Banning families w/kids is never a good idea. I am guessing The Sushi bar will be gone in 6mos or less.
haters....
  • Like 1

In the chat this week, Todd Kliman started a discussion about people who are dessert people (e.g., like sweets, order desserts at restaurants) and people who aren't. He also questioned why people hold desserts at restaurants to a lower standard.

The contrast is really familiar to me because my husband's a dessert person, and I'm not. I've also noticed this divide in my friends. I'll still order and enjoy desserts every once in a while, and I eat sweets, but in general, if you put cookies or chips in front of me, I'll go for the chips.

I'm usually too full to eat anything else anyway, but if I weren't, I'd like to order another appetizer instead of dessert.

In the chat this week, Todd Kliman started a discussion about people who are dessert people (e.g., like sweets, order desserts at restaurants) and people who aren't. He also questioned why people hold desserts at restaurants to a lower standard.

The contrast is really familiar to me because my husband's a dessert person, and I'm not. I've also noticed this divide in my friends. I'll still order and enjoy desserts every once in a while, and I eat sweets, but in general, if you put cookies or chips in front of me, I'll go for the chips.

I'm usually too full to eat anything else anyway, but if I weren't, I'd like to order another appetizer instead of dessert.

I am a dessert person, my husband is not. Our very good friends- the husband is the dessert person. My father was a dessert person, my Mom likes dessert, but not like me. But she kind of waivers. Anymore though so many desserts have lactose in them and don't taste good enough to warrant the number of dairy pills and stomach ache that eating will bring. I do order some desserts though and some are really good. That is probably one reason I really like Central (although I haven't been back in a while) their desserts were really good. Mintwood Place has great dessert. Also pretty much almost all deconstructed desserts suck for real dessert people. I am just going to put that out there, I don't think I have ever had a deconstructed dessert I like. And you know what is my real favorite? The little box of dessert bite goodies you get at say... the French Laundry- they packed up the ones I didn't eat for me because they were cool like that. And if you muck up chocolate, I hold real disdain for you. I also love sticky toffee pudding like nobodies business. I really liked the banshee pie at Againn, which was really simple, but so good. Look at the people who love the banana pudding at Artie's and really people, banana pudding is easy-peasy. They sell a lot of that pudding. I really don't care if your dessert is simple, so long as it is good. I mean look how many people gush over simple pecan pie... do you know how easy it is to make good pecan pie, it's incredibly easy. But instead places have these god awful fancy or deconstructed desserts. I don't understand why more places don't make good desserts, I see people looking for places with good dessert all the time on chowhound. I can normally tell by reading the description if it is going to be good or not. And if you can't make a good berry dessert in the summer, well bless your heart. I expect a restaurant to have good desserts, when they don't it will be a place I like, but never will I love that place.

Doug?  Doug?  Where is Doug, he has to be here somewhere.  After not this, but last week's chat, I wanted to reach out to the reader searching for Doug and say he's here.  Maybe HE isn't here (but I suspect he is) but his essence is here in a nicely compiled index of ethnic grocery stores and etc.  Technically he can also be found on Chowhound (and reminded me a lot of the amount of knowledge Steve has) but it wouldn't have the super nice index.  Anyway I put in a comment to that effect, but probably too late to be posted as it was towards the end of the chat.

Anyway maybe the persons looking for Doug will find us.

Also in the response to the person who is super annoyed with waiters kneeling at her table.  I actually like this practice particularly in loud restaurants and when the server is tall.  I am not, and it helps to hear people and converse when they are lower to my level.  Not that I want it done all the time, but there is a time and a place where I appreciate it.  

• Like 1

Remarkably, there are some of us who are not on Facebook!

During last week's chat with Tom Sietsema someone commented that they loved his reports from various US cities and perhaps he could do a series on ethnic eats in the DC area, since the poster could use some help in that direction.  My first thought was, "There's already someone to help you, and he chats online on Tuesdays."

Remarkably, there are some of us who are not on Facebook!

During last week's chat with Tom Sietsema someone commented that they loved his reports from various US cities and perhaps he could do a series on ethnic eats in the DC area, since the poster could use some help in that direction.  My first thought was, "There's already someone to help you, and he chats online on Tuesdays."

Not just Tuesdays; seven days a week.

According to Todd at the beginning of today's chat, the chat will be moving to Washingtonian's Facebook page "in a couple of weeks."

I'm not sure how a chat on Facebook will work.  It seems odd.  But I have been trying to get on the live chat for a few weeks and have not been able to do so.  It takes 20 minutes before anything loads at all on my computer, and then stalls again, so the chat is over and I haven't been able to get on it. I'm usually too busy at work to participate, but would at least like the technical ability to do so, if I'm able to take a break.

Yeah no announcement on Washingtonian's site or social media, either. Kliman isn't exactly the most prolific tweeter himself, so no announcement there. He strikes me as the type that if you brought that up in a future chat (whenever that may be) he would go off on social media not being social or some such and he doesn't see a use for it. I dunno, I like following along on Tuesdays, but it would be more helpful if they told you for sure if it's canceled or not, and if and when it'll move to Facebook.

Todd is enduring a significant personal loss - he needs some time off right now, as well as some privacy from the media. Let any rumors end here - there is nothing other than this, and it's something most of us with an aging family must eventually suffer through, so everyone should be understanding and empathetic.

If anyone wishes to make a memorial contribution, write me privately, and I'll point you in the right direction.

Strength, Todd.