Bronxville, NY: You guys did a wonderful job highlighting eateries in New York City. Now where can a tourist get the best eats in Washington DC?

Tom Sietsema: It all depends on what you're looking for. Give me some perimeters.

One perimeter is the ring road around Atlanta. :lol:;)

Sorry, just feeling goofy today.

Bronxville, NY: You guys did a wonderful job highlighting eateries in New York City. Now where can a tourist get the best eats in Washington DC?

Tom Sietsema: It all depends on what you're looking for. Give me some perimeters.

One perimeter is the ring road around Atlanta. :lol:   ;)

Sorry, just feeling goofy today.

I am not so sure that perscription is unfilled...

Mark, posting to the Tom chat again? :lol:

Sommelier is Superb: I know you're totally on board about the sommelier at Citronelle, but i just wanted to share briefly. Everyone always seems to complain about service there. And although the waiters can be a bit crusty, we were there a few weeks ago, drinking not particularly expensive wine. The sommelier really made our meal fun and memorable. He visited several times (it WAS saturday night) and ended up making menu suggestions, even brought out our cheese plate to us with a special addition. Awesome time - due mainly to him

Tom Sietsema: You hear that, Mr. Slater?

Not just whiny, downright scary!

"Washington, DC: Hi Tom!;

PLEASE AT LEAST ANSWER QUESTION 1!;

We're leaving for Ocho Rios in 3 days and we're trying to find out the "must not miss" dining experiences you or the chatters have had. I did my homework and didn't see any postcards, so PLEASE POST THIS!;

Second, does DC have any 'raw food' scene? A friend who's coming to town is interested in trying this together.

Thank you VERY much!;"

Ya mon, go to Jamaica and maybe ya find a little mellow, now...

Mark, posting to the Tom chat again? smile.gif

Sommelier is Superb: I know you're totally on board about the sommelier at Citronelle, but i just wanted to share briefly. Everyone always seems to complain about service there. And although the waiters can be a bit crusty, we were there a few weeks ago, drinking not particularly expensive wine. The sommelier really made our meal fun and memorable. He visited several times (it WAS saturday night) and ended up making menu suggestions, even brought out our cheese plate to us with a special addition. Awesome time - due mainly to him

That was pretty cool! wub.gif

"I've not heard anything bad about the cooking at Le Paradou, but judging from reader feedback, the service is just as inept as it was when the haute French restaurant opened. What a shame."

Whenwas the last time he dropped inept ,on a chat? scathing really scathing

Mark,  posting to the Tom chat again?  ;)

That's certainly the Mark Slater I know! :lol:

I'd like to say "thanks" for a great chat today. Tom's comments were expanded, informative and fun. The kvetching was markedly lessened while the really useful information was flowing. It inspired me to get out of my own kitchen and try some of the restaurants discussed today.

I'd like to say "thanks" for a great chat today. Tom's comments were expanded, informative and fun. The kvetching was markedly lessened while the really useful information was flowing. It inspired me to get out of my own kitchen and try some of the restaurants discussed today.

And this has got to the submission of the year so far:

"Dining with Fetishes: Tom,

I'm not sure I've seen this question asked before, but do any restaurants in town cater to people who are into plumpers?"

:lol:

I'm not sure I've seen this question asked before, but do any restaurants in town cater to people who are into plumpers?"

My immediate -- and snarky -- reaction to that question: Go outside the beltway... you can find Horn & Horns, Old Country Buffets, and Cracker Barrels aplenty if you look hard enough. Also, the TGI Fridays by GW....

And this has got to the submission of the year so far:

:lol:

Wow. (Plump Her? Hardly know her..)

Do you think what the poster was looking for was a recommendation of places with chairs that can accommodate a tarmac-sized badonkadonk? That's actually a somewhat fair question because many places I know, especially bistro-style, are definitely designed for a (American) standard-issue bottom.

But then again standard-issue size people are more comfortable everywhere. And I say this having just gotten off a transatlantic flight, mind ya.

I'll admit it...the question made me think twice or three times. "What's a plumper?" Couldn't REALLY mean what I thought it meant, could it?! :lol:

Perhaps someone should open a restaurant with troughs instead of plates.

Perhaps someone should open a restaurant with troughs instead of plates.

"Saturday Night Live" did a skit on that topic years ago: "The Trough and Brew." Every hour or so it would close for a "15-minute hosedown." Given the direction some of these TGIF-like places are going, it's only a matter of time before life begins to imitate art.

I'll admit it...the question made me think twice or three times. "What's a plumper?" Couldn't REALLY mean what I thought it meant, could it?! unsure.gif

I'm just wondering how many people reading the chat naively typed "plumper" into Google while at work, followed by frantic mouse-clicking of pop-ups if they happened to click through on one of the results ...

So there I was on the beltway this morning listening to WTOP. Every Thursday Sietsema has a little piece. Today he was talking about Merkado and its "fusion" cuisine. --

"Sometimes it seems more like CONfusion food."

Hmmmm... where have I heard that line before?

So there I was on the beltway this morning listening to WTOP. Every Thursday Sietsema has a little piece. Today he was talking about Merkado and its "fusion" cuisine. --

"Sometimes it seems more like CONfusion food."

Hmmmm... where have I heard that line before?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Rocks, not again:

Washington, DC: Good Morning Tom,

Wine tasters often carry their own spitoons into wineries in order to avoid becoming intoxicated while tasting through a producer's portfolio.

Have you ever thought of doing a similar thing in restaurants to keep your weight in check?

DR

Tom Sietsema: Haven't you seen my little black tote?