It sort of seemed like PX was the punching bag on yesterday's chat. Someone apparantly was sour grapes because they couldn't get in. That bit about being left out in the cold was over the top. If they don't have room to let you "inside," that means they have to leave you "outside," regardless of the weather. And just because they have space when you call, does not mean that there will be space when you get there 20-minutes later. A couple of parties of 4 will fill that place up in a hurry. And my understanding is that they do not like to have standees in there. They consider the place full when all of the seats are taken or reserved.

It sort of seemed like PX was the punching bag on yesterday's chat. Someone apparantly was sour grapes because they couldn't get in. That bit about being left out in the cold was over the top. If they don't have room to let you "inside," that means they have to leave you "outside," regardless of the weather. And just because they have space when you call, does not mean that there will be space when you get there 20-minutes later. A couple of parties of 4 will fill that place up in a hurry. And my understanding is that they do not like to have standees in there. They consider the place full when all of the seats are taken or reserved.

I think the issue had to do more with how they were treated:

""If you don't have a reservation, there's no way," we were told. When I tried to explain that I had just spoken to someone on the phone and was told to come on by, the door was shut in my face without further comment."

Granted, this is just one side of the story, but I would surely be upset if that had happened to me. There is no charm in rudeness.

I think the issue had to do more with how they were treated:

""If you don't have a reservation, there's no way," we were told. When I tried to explain that I had just spoken to someone on the phone and was told to come on by, the door was shut in my face without further comment."

Granted, this is just one side of the story, but I would surely be upset if that had happened to me. There is no charm in rudeness.

They typically don't open the door; they use the little speakeasy window in the door to communicate with you.

Admittedly, I have been turned off a bit by the door encounter at the PX. Through no fault of the employees, I do think there is a bit of awkwardness inherent in the whole "window in the door" thing. Plus, the fact that the prospective customer usually has to stand on the steps in a subordinate position to the host/hostess can create some natural discomfort. And when it is full, I have yet to figure out a way to pull off my retreat in an undorky fashion.

This doesn't keep me from going back, though. When you can get in - and get a seat at the bar - the PX is great.

My main question about PX is whether or not they allow anyone and everyone in as long as the bar hasn't reached their idea of capacity. I presume there is some discretion from the doorperson but what criteria are they using? Dress code? Age? Sex? Likelihood of having a platinum Amex card?

The impression I get from reading people's reviews - and I would love to be corrected - is that there is alot of discretion on the doorperson's part. The little peek hole becomes their version of the velvet rope, where the doorperson gets to pick and choose who is "desireable".

Hey, not every jurisdiction lets you sip 20-year-old bourbon from a plastic cup on the walk back to your hotel. Which is too bad, because a Bittersweet Gin Fizz whilst walking back to the Metro would be my idea of a perfect nightcap.

If I lived on the Metro.

("Do you know what it means, to miss....")

My experience at PX has been consistently good. HOWEVER, knowing in advance what the atmosphere is like helps tremedously. I think that the fact that I have several vintage cocktail dresses and like to wear them while drinking in dimly lit small rooms with jazz playing may be a contributing factor to the excellent time I always have.

Seriously, the space is quite small, and if the person answering the door knows that there's only room for X, and they're facing a party of Y or more, or several groups of folks... Regardless of the appearance, comportment or potential wealth of the hopeful drinkers, you can't make space where none exists.

My experience at PX has been consistently good. HOWEVER, knowing in advance what the atmosphere is like helps tremedously. I think that the fact that I have several vintage cocktail dresses and like to wear them while drinking in dimly lit small rooms with jazz playing may be a contributing factor to the excellent time I always have.

Seriously, the space is quite small, and if the person answering the door knows that there's only room for X, and they're facing a party of Y or more, or several groups of folks... Regardless of the appearance, comportment or potential wealth of the hopeful drinkers, you can't make space where none exists.

Fair enough. I'm glad to hear that it truly is a matter of capacity. Now if only I could get over my fear of crossing the river into VA!

Fair enough. I'm glad to hear that it truly is a matter of capacity. Now if only I could get over my fear of crossing the river into VA!

There is a dress code, but it is not that outrageous.

Funny how it is only MD and DC folks that appear to be scared of crossing the river. :o

I hope and pray I will never again hear his little rant about user reviews on the WaPo website and others. I wonder if he includes DR.com in that. He misses the distinction between anonymous comment and pseudonymous comment, and god forbid those of us who use our real names! :o

Big fan in Washington, D.C.: Hi Tom. I think you're a great reviewer and trust your judgment, but (ah, had to know that was coming, huh?) reading your dining guide, I notice a real disconnect between some of your reviews and those of your readers -- particularly when it comes to service and, for lack of a better term, "bang for the buck". A little of this is to be expected, of course. Do you think it's possible, however, that you're recognized more often than you think? That you get the good table and attentive service, carefully prepared plates, etc., that others don't? Specifically, I'm thinking of Cashion's, Jackie's, Ray's, Bebo, places that have made a name for themselves and now -- if my experiences and overwhelming reader feedback, both on the Post site and other sites is to be believed -- seem to be coasting on reputation, charging a lot of money for so-so food and uneven service. Your reviews of these places vary so widely from documented trends, yet I know from the majority of your reviews that you're an excellent and trustworthy critic.

Tom Sietsema: And you have no idea who is writing behind me, do you? In other words, you know me and my work, but reader-reviewers have no obligation to share their real names or resumes.

This is not to detract from reader reviews; some posters are very good. But I'd read their critiques with some skepticism.

I do my best to dine anonymously. In cases where I know I've been recognized, I'm extra-careful about monitoring the service other diners are receiving (or not).

Is this for real? From today's chat:

Rockville, Md.: Ate at Central recently to celebrate a milestone birthday with friends. I was APPALLED to see ICEBERG LETTUCE on the menu. Not only was it unthinkable that it was being served at this fine establishment, but to advertise it on the menu?!?! What gives?
Alrighty then. :blink: The "wedge" trend is only several years old.

Is this for real? From today's chat:Alrighty then. :blink: The "wedge" trend is only several years old.
I took that to be a joke (especially, with the words in caps), possibly in reference to people complaining about the way ingredients are described (or not) on the menu.

(And the iceberg salad at Central isn't a wedge; it's chopped. It's like a cross between between a steakhouse iceberg salad and the kind of Belgian endive salad served at French and Belgian restaurants. I loved it.)

What's with the pretty frequent accusations and implications that Tom Sietsema's identity is known? Does anyone know if there's truth to that? Below is an example:

Falls Church, Va.: Hi, Tom from a fellow Minnesota native. No question today, just an observation: I was having dinner with a friend at Circle Bistro (this was a while back) and our server pointed you out in the dining room. Your cover is blown!

Tom Sietsema: The same waiter must not have been working when I dropped by the bar recently and was told "The kitchen is closing in two minutes, so you better decide if you want anything to eat."

What's with the pretty frequent accusations and implications that Tom Sietsema's identity is known? Does anyone know if there's truth to that? Below is an example:

Falls Church, Va.: Hi, Tom from a fellow Minnesota native. No question today, just an observation: I was having dinner with a friend at Circle Bistro (this was a while back) and our server pointed you out in the dining room. Your cover is blown!

Tom Sietsema: The same waiter must not have been working when I dropped by the bar recently and was told "The kitchen is closing in two minutes, so you better decide if you want anything to eat."

Some of us were discussing this last night. It seems that there are plenty of people writing in to his chat that he is recognized, but he somehow still maintains that he is anonymous when he dines out. Well I doubt it. As someone pointed out yesterday, it is highly in the restaurant's interest to know who Tom is and when he is coming in, and they reward staff for keeping tabs. And wasn't Kliman recognized all the times he ate at Bebo?

Along these lines, a Bill Buford profile of Gordon Ramsay in the New Yorker a few weeks back noted that the staff recognized Frank Bruni on all three visits. Even Ruth Reichl with all her disguises and split personalities was recognized at Babbo (if I am remembering this correctly from 'Heat.')

And what about Tim Carman? He has hung out with Jose Andres, Michel Richard, and Bob Kinkead for recent columns. I suspect for him anonymity as a restaurant critic isn't a big deal. (And one could reasonably argue that it shouldn't be.)

He certainly was recognized when he visited PS7. One of the workers there (who has since left) has a blog and mentioned the important critic who showed up for a meal and the whole staff was onto him.

I guess an interesting question it whether or not he is noticed on all the visits he makes to a restaurant. Would be pretty interesting if he received different service at the times he is recognized and times that he is not.

I guess an interesting question it whether or not he is noticed on all the visits he makes to a restaurant. Would be pretty interesting if he received different service at the times he is recognized and times that he is not.
Ruth Reichl's account of her treatment at Le Cirque while disguised as an ordinary middle-aged woman was very revealing.

In the past year alone, there have been at least five occasions (in different restaurants) in which someone on the staff has pointed him out to me or told me that he was just there. A couple times with Kliman too, but I believe that Sietsema is much more recognizable.

I wonder if it is almost unfair to compare the service that he receives (not the food) when he is not recognized in high profile places, as he is surely being served by newbies in those instances. Obviously, everyone should be trained when they are put on the floor, but just a thought. . .

Sietsema rarely cops to being recognized (his review of Ray's the Classics being a rare exception), but, as I've said before, after all these years of his reviewing in DC, any restaurateur worth their salt should recognize him.

I agree with Capital Icebox about recognition being not such a big deal for Tim Carman. He is establishing a much different identity for "Young and Hungry" than that which Kliman had. It's not so much about reviews as columns about restaurants. Which is a nice change of pace and a good niche to carve out. I've enjoyed a fair amount of his stuff -- my favorite has probably been the story about the little one man Thai hole in the wall by Howard (first written about by Kliman in the City Paper if memory serves me correctly) that gets by by customers donating time and money for things like printing menus in eschange for no more than some freebies.

Joe;

I fear this thread is getting way off the TS topic--and probably requires a Rockwellian smackdown and reorg--but I couldn't let your comment pass without a few thoughts of my own:

1. I'm pleased that y'all (well, some of y'all or even a tiny fraction of y'all) like the direction we've taken Young & Hungry.

2. The most recent story on Thai X-Crossing was actually written by Anne Marson, who is the only other contributor to the Y&H column. She's very knowledgeable about food and takes over the column about once a month.

3. I find the Rockwell boards quite useful in hearing how our work hits its mark or doesn't, how it tickles or annoys you. If we dish it out, we have to take it, too. My only concern is that I don't know all the players here, and who may be affiliated with whom or what. If you are affiliated with anyone in the restaurant industry, it would be helpful to know when you post about Y&H, good, bad or otherwise.

Cheers,

-Tim

Sietsema rarely cops to being recognized (his review of Ray's the Classics being a rare exception), but, as I've said before, after all these years of his reviewing in DC, any restaurateur worth their salt should recognize him.

I agree with Capital Icebox about recognition being not such a big deal for Tim Carman. He is establishing a much different identity for "Young and Hungry" than that which Kliman had. It's not so much about reviews as columns about restaurants. Which is a nice change of pace and a good niche to carve out. I've enjoyed a fair amount of his stuff -- my favorite has probably been the story about the little one man Thai hole in the wall by Howard (first written about by Kliman in the City Paper if memory serves me correctly) that gets by by customers donating time and money for things like printing menus in eschange for no more than some freebies.

Ruth Reichl's account of her treatment at Le Cirque while disguised as an ordinary middle-aged woman was very revealing.

I'm no Ruth Reichl, but this weekend I snuck into a very popular Bistro with a crowded bar, and I mean this place was slammed. I ordered a drink, and the bartender asked for a credit card to start a tab. I stood around for about ten minutes waiting for seat to open up, and I nabbed one which happened to be in front of the point-of-entry system. I got a menu and ordered, and when the bartender typed in my order, my jaw dropped as I looked at the screen and saw the following:

Rockwell, Don

VIP VIP VIP VIP

Campari and Soda

Beef Burger

Cheese

Bacon

Fries

The burger and fries? Delicious.

I'm no Ruth Reichl, but this weekend I snuck into a very popular Bistro with a crowded bar, and I mean this place was slammed. I ordered a drink, and the bartender asked for a credit card to start a tab. I stood around for about ten minutes waiting for seat to open up, and I nabbed one which happened to be in front of the point-of-entry system. I got a menu and ordered, and when the bartender typed in my order, my jaw dropped as I looked at the screen and saw the following:

Rockwell, Don

VIP VIP VIP VIP

Campari and Soda

Beef Burger

Cheese

Bacon

Fries

The burger and fries? Delicious.

Start going in disguise-- you'd make a convincing ordinary middle-aged woman. And who knows, you might get lucky! :blink:;)

I wasn't fingered visually; it was the credit card.
I wonder how many names (and variations thereof) they have pre-programmed into their system to catch that way. That's kind of eerie, and I guess they'll know you by sight now :blink: .

I wonder how many names (and variations thereof) they have pre-programmed into their system to catch that way. That's kind of eerie, and I guess they'll know you by sight now :blink: .

They knew me by sight before, but this time it was particularly crowded and I managed to sneak in unnoticed (I think!). I was really hoping to get one more data point on the burger, but it was not to be. Incidentally, I see nothing wrong with a restaurant doing this; any fault here lies entirely with me for being negligent in not using another credit card. I should also add that I wasn't on any type of spying mission; I really just wanted to scarf down a cheeseburger in peace.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Please refrain from using debit cards in restaurants, whenever possible.

If a server accidentally authorizes your card for an incorrect amount, incorrect check, whatever, the bank will hold these funds for usually 2-3 business days.

If such a thing happens with a Credit Card, the charge drops from your account before you even notice. If it occurs with a DEBIT CARD, you will be missing these funds from your account until the bank drops the authorizition.

From today's chat:

Whyyyyyyy do the powers at be in Silver Spring have an obsession with chain restaurants? I love the redevelopment and resurgence of Silver Spring, but I had to sigh when I saw a Fuddruckers going in the other day.
Fuddruckers? FUDDRUCKERS? :blink: Gosh, all we need is an Olive Garden and this place will be utterly, irredeemably mediocre (Ray's and Ceviche the exceptions). ;)

Please refrain from using debit cards in restaurants, whenever possible.

If a server accidentally authorizes your card for an incorrect amount, incorrect check, whatever, the bank will hold these funds for usually 2-3 business days.

If such a thing happens with a Credit Card, the charge drops from your account before you even notice. If it occurs with a DEBIT CARD, you will be missing these funds from your account until the bank drops the authorizition.

This is an argument against using debit cards, not against using debit cards in restaurants. I wouldn't have one of the fiendish things.

Does Vidalia have a secret elevator (or a not so secret one, for that matter)? Tom recommended Vidalia in response to a poster asking about restaurants with private rooms that are wheelchair/scooter-accessible.

People who complain on Todd's Tuesday chat and then post the same nonsense on Tom's Wednesday chat are LAME!

And if they insist on ordering their meat overcooked, then they get what they deserve I might add... (ETA - I'm kidding. At least sort of.)

People who complain on Todd's Tuesday chat and then post the same nonsense on Tom's Wednesday chat are LAME!

And if they insist on ordering their meat overcooked, then they get what they deserve I might add...

No wonder I had deja vu all over again!

How about that post about Jimmy's on K. St.? Her child apparently has better manners than her waiter!

'

It's like the old, "If Mom doesnt give you the answer you want, go to Dad." Todd told her she owned it to the restaurant to contact management so they could resolve it, since she'd made a public complaint.

http://www.washingtonian.com/chats/restaurants/4024.html

And if they insist on ordering their meat overcooked, then they get what they deserve I might add... (ETA - I'm kidding. At least sort of.)

Very lame to whine twice publicly about one burger. The server's comment was a little lame, as well, though in the heat of service one person's calm explanation is another's snotty riposte, so judgment should be withheld.

In the larger sense, the whole snottiness about people ordering their meat medium-well or well done irks me. Personally, I'd rather eat shoe leather than a well-done steak but I've known WDers who were perfectly nice people, if misguided on this issue, and did not deserve a side of attitude with their beef.

Lots of negative comment about Central on today's chat.

Hmmm, doesn't it seem that many new and very popular places seemed to get dumped on with regularity? I am sure we will see Beck's on the attack sometime soon.

Hmmm, doesn't it seem that many new and very popular places seemed to get dumped on with regularity? I am sure we will see Beck's on the attack sometime soon.
Any place that gets such glowing reviews right off its opening is going to have knee jerk reactions like that.

Any place that gets such glowing reviews right off its opening is going to have knee jerk reactions like that.

I not sure it's knee jerk. The last time I was at Central the service sucked, and the food did not seemed to be as good. After two visits to Beck's I would say they are doing a better job overall with service and food. Let's see what happens after the review.

I'd be more inclined to take the glowing reviews with a grain of salt. Although ultimately, it's ones own experience that counts.

Hook was the latest to be in the firing line in today's chat. Granted I have only been once, but my experience was certainly not the same. I certainly don't recall the prices being way out of line for DC, forget GT.