PS7's, Chef Peter Smith at 777 I Street, Verizon Center - With Sous Chef Andrew Markert - Closed

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From Linda Roth's Latest Dish:

"...And speaking of Pete Smith [formerly of Vidalia], expect his 120-seat restaurant, PS7 (named after him and the street it`s on) to open before the summer is over. It's at 900 7th Street, NW."

There might be some other news to announce, but someone else will have to spill the beans.

PS 7 is being designed by the same team that did the new Black's Bar & Kitchen that I raved about in Bethesda. Fantastic room both inside and out!
Yes, Grizform has before/afters of Black's as well as 7th Street. After entering site, click on the word "commercial" at left and select project...

Where are you seeing the "GREAT" wine pricing?
I am indeed talking about the wine pairings. If PS7 follows the lead that Danny set earlier, there is no doubt that the bottle pricing will be both fair and well priced.

4 course $25 or $50

5 course $30 or $60

6 course $35 or $70

7 course $40 or $80

If prior experience is any indicator, these (roughly) $12/glass, $6/half glass wines will be well paired and quite a bargain.

From The List: (A really newsy issue of The List...today)

PS 7 -- is the vision of Executive Chef/Owner Peter Smith and should be opening any minute now. At PS 7, Smith (most recently the Executive Chef at Vidalia), focuses on small plates and allows guests to mix and match when ordering. Highlights include a study of American red snapper with heirloom corn and lobster ragout, fondue of lobster mushrooms, corn coulis and roasted lobster reduction and Smoked Abalone with drunken apricots, pistachios and fleur de sel.

It'll be good to see Danny doing what he does so well, once again...

Today's the day! Best of luck to Chef's Smith and Gallego, Danny Boylen and everyone else involved in this exciting new adventure! Their website is ---> here. The entrance is on the north side of I Street, between 7th and 9th - next to a pedestrian plaza where 8th St. extended would be (tilt your head up to see the banners hanging from above.)

Today's the day! Best of luck to Chef's Smith and Gallego, Danny Boylen and everyone else involved in this exciting new adventure! Their website is ---> here. The entrance is on the north side of I Street, between 7th and 9th - next to a pedestrian plaza where 8th St. extended would be (tilt your head up to see the banners hanging from above.)

Woo hoo! Going tomorrow night and I can't wait. Any reports from the soft opening crowd?

Some impressions: Good cocktails. The oxtail consomme or oyster appetizer and the veal or lobster mains are worth a second look. The wine list was short but they offer a good portion of it by the glass and half glass. The dining room is handsome and the bathrooms are...interesting. :)

Woo hoo! Going tomorrow night and I can't wait. Any reports from the soft opening crowd?

:) are we allowed to say anything? I think this may be The Year of the Biscuit. :)

ETA: two things they do right (not the only two, just two worth mentioning): the staff will ask how you want your meal paced (smart, given proximity to theaters and Verizon Center), and the dessert menu is in two parts, so if you just want a little someting sweet, you can order a smaller dessert and pay less.

From the menu:

Popcorn and Tonka Bean Emulsion Crusted Halibut Garnished Three Ways:

Globe Onion and Dry Cured Bacon Confit, Arugula and Long Pepper Custard

Wilted Corn Shoots and Honey Cap Mushrooms

How in blazes do you "crust" something with an emulsion?? :)

Menu sort of reads like I am betting on the ponies at the track with a hungry ADD Bukowski.

There doesn’t appear to be a particular thematic vision to the restaurant and the menu descriptions are so loquacious as to make me wonder if I left the iron on.

I am familiar with Mr. Smith's cookery and talent but I feel that the delineations of octopus can be equated to: Tennis ball-Racquetball-rubberbandball.

Far be it for me to criticize since my sustenance is Swedish mackerel-tomato paste from a tube...

Are whole scallops being pulverized for the sake of boudin?

How is ribeye and foie gras cheaper than pompano?

Can I take the mushroom study pass/fail?

Not sure what to make of this place after dinner last night. I am not even sure I understand the concept or the menu. While the prices are decent, although the portions amount to what you would receive with a tasting menu. The wine list is small, and loaded with small producers mostly from California, and the prices are very reasonable, although when I ask the waiter for suggestions he pointed me to one of the most expensive bottles on the list, a $85 dollar bottle of Cabernet. I hate it when they do that! I really like the idea of a small wine list though, I really dislike looking through those 80 page wine books and trying to decide what to order. On to the food.

After looking at the menu on line I decided we would order one of the tasting menus, however they were not available last night. I started with the Warm Foie Gras custard, which I thought was fine but I did not like the texture, and the Roasted Duck Gelee that topped the custard tasted like nothing. At $12.50 I was expecting to be blown away. My wife ordered the Oxtail Consommé, with oxtail dumplings, this was the undisputed best tasting dish of the night! The bread at PS7 is excellent, made in house and served warm. I sampled the cottage cheese roll with dill and it was almost on par with the parker house rolls at Cityzen, I am so glad they are not serving that overrated bread from Breadline, that seems to be the standard now in DC.

The main courses did not fair so well in our opinion. I order the Trio of Veal, it consisted of a veal loin, not so crispy sweetbreads, and a veal breast with wild mushrooms. What sounded good on the menu did not translate onto the plate, the veal loin was under salted, the sweetbreads were so not even close to being crispy, the breast was moist, the most flavorful portion of this trio. My wife ordered the beef two ways, this was a mistake. This was the first time we have ever encountered a dried out piece of short rib at a restaurant, It may have been under the heat lamp too long, the noisette of rib eye, was no better.

You have two options for dessert; little sins and big sins. We selected one little sin, doughnuts with a chocolate and raspberry sauces which were excellent, and a big sin, a peach dessert with too dry Tres Leche cake, peach sorbet and gelee showed up again, this time with a burst of peach flavor.

Overall, not a good opening night for food at PS7

It might have been the best match for the food - you never know. Did you indicate a price range to the waiter?

He did not ask my price range. I did indicate what I was willing to spend once he offered up the $85 bottle. I think wine stewards should offer suggestions at the high, low and mid price ranges. This helps the customer decide how much they want to spend without having to discuss price at the table.

We had a very good bottle for $48.
Do you remember which wine you ordered?
I started with the Warm Foie Gras custard, which I thought was fine but I did not like the texture, and the Roasted Duck Gelee that topped the custard tasted like nothing. At $12.50 I was expecting to be blown away.
I thought the foie gras custard was one of the stars of my meal. It had, appropriately enough, the texture of custard. My gelee did not have a highly concentrated roast duck flavor though - it was subtle, probably so as not to overpower the foie gras delicacy.
The bread at PS7 is excellent, made in house and served warm. I sampled the cottage cheese roll with dill and it was almost on par with the parker house rolls at Cityzen, I am so glad they are not serving that overrated bread from Breadline, that seems to be the standard now in DC.
Yes indeed! Did anybody else try the little biscuits with bacon bits (or something similar)? I wish I could have wrapped a couple up and stashed them in my purse for nibbling on the way home.

Yes indeed! Did anybody else try the little biscuits with bacon bits (or something similar)? I wish I could have wrapped a couple up and stashed them in my purse for nibbling on the way home.
I liked the biscuits, and the cottage cheese rolls, and butter was a good temperature.

Not sure what to make of this place after dinner last night. I am not even sure I understand the concept or the menu. While the prices are decent, although the portions amount to what you would receive with a tasting menu. The wine list is small, and loaded with small producers mostly from California, and the prices are very reasonable, although when I ask the waiter for suggestions he pointed me to one of the most expensive bottles on the list, a $85 dollar bottle of Cabernet. I hate it when they do that! I really like the idea of a small wine list though, I really dislike looking through those 80 page wine books and trying to decide what to order. On to the food.

After looking at the menu on line I decided we would order one of the tasting menus, however they were not available last night. I started with the Warm Foie Gras custard, which I thought was fine but I did not like the texture, and the Roasted Duck Gelee that topped the custard tasted like nothing. At $12.50 I was expecting to be blown away. My wife ordered the Oxtail Consommé, with oxtail dumplings, this was the undisputed best tasting dish of the night! The bread at PS7 is excellent, made in house and served warm. I sampled the cottage cheese roll with dill and it was almost on par with the parker house rolls at Cityzen, I am so glad they are not serving that overrated bread from Breadline, that seems to be the standard now in DC.

The main courses did not fair so well in our opinion. I order the Trio of Veal, it consisted of a veal loin, not so crispy sweetbreads, and a veal breast with wild mushrooms. What sounded good on the menu did not translate onto the plate, the veal loin was under salted, the sweetbreads were so not even close to being crispy, the breast was moist, the most flavorful portion of this trio. My wife ordered the beef two ways, this was a mistake. This was the first time we have ever encountered a dried out piece of short rib at a restaurant, It may have been under the heat lamp too long, the noisette of rib eye, was no better.

You have two options for dessert; little sins and big sins. We selected one little sin, doughnuts with a chocolate and raspberry sauces which were excellent, and a big sin, a peach dessert with too dry Tres Leche cake, peach sorbet and gelee showed up again, this time with a burst of peach flavor.

Overall, not a good opening night for food at PS7

DLB,

Thank you for you candid feedback. We found some of it truly valuable.

While I am not a fan of restaurant professionals criticizing anyone for expressing their opinion in any forum, I find your criticisms a bit disconcerting thus my public response.

If your evening was so marred by the food and service you received, why did you not indicate such on any of the three visits I made to your table?

If you wanted the advice of the “wine steward,” why didn’t you ask your server to get the “wine steward?” The gentleman serving your table most likely recommended the $85 Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet, because we had just tasted the staff on it that evening. Other good reasons for recommending it: it is a bargain at $85 – most restaurants in this area that carry this wine charge $100 and up for what happens to be a 91 point WS & WA wine.

I am sure that your motives are nothing but genuine. However, going to a restaurant on opening night or any night for that matter, and then writing negatively about your experience, though you were asked on three occasions about your satisfaction, strikes me as fishy at best and dishonorable at its worst.

p.s. the wine you drank was the Pelligrini Cariganne, and it would be my pleasure to offer you and your wife a glass or two in the company of myself and Chef Smith to discuss this further.

I really enjoyed my first visit last night. Although I had only intended to stop by and congratulate Danny, see the space and have a glass or two of vino, I ended up having some dinner. Started with the carrot terrine, which was not very impressive -- maybe I was just thrown off by the texture consisting of everything: gelatin, crunch and foam. I had the veal trio next which was quite delicious. The sweetbreads were excellent IMHO, so maybe those that DLB had, mentioned above, were a product of opening kitchen problems. Wish I had had room for dessert, but now I have something to look forward to next visit. I had a couple of glasses of the GSM (brand escapes me, but very satisfying), and Danny poured a glass of -- get this-- sparkling sake. Now ths stuff was quite a novelty, at least to me. Had notes of coconut and vanilla for my taste buds. Danny found it had some mango. Anyway, Danny is looking forward to offering it with some of the entrees. I found it off-dry enough to work as a dessert beverage accompanyment. I'd be interested in what some others think of it. I had the opportunity to say howdy to Peter, and let him know that we wish him, Danny and the other staff success in this venture.

is PS7 open sundays &/or mondays for dinner? i looked on the website, but couldn't find that info.

also, those of you who've already been, does PS7 have a bar that's comfortable for dining, or should we just be like normal people and make a reservation to sit down at a table? any thoughts?

carolyn

also, those of you who've already been, does PS7 have a bar that's comfortable for dining, or should we just be like normal people and make a reservation to sit down at a table? any thoughts?
The bar looked nice but I don't remember whether the bar stools had backs or not. The lounge tables are low and far away from the chairs - anything with a sauce would blaze a trail from the table to your blouse.

is PS7 open sundays &/or mondays for dinner? i looked on the website, but couldn't find that info.

PS 7's is closed on Sunday's. We are open for dinner Monday through Saturday - 5:30 is the first seating available. In about a month, we will be open for lunch Monday through Friday.

The bar looked nice but I don't remember whether the bar stools had backs or not. The lounge tables are low and far away from the chairs - anything with a sauce would blaze a trail from the table to your blouse.

The bar stools have low and firm backs. We are committed to making PS 7's one of the best bars in DC to have dinner - but Heather is right, the low tables are best for cocktailing, snacking, and lounging.

The bar and lounge are really classy. The bar itself is a ginormous slab of lava rock, imported from Italy and glazed with a smooth bright orange/yellow sheen. Delicious and creative cocktails on the menu, and don't overlook the bar snacks. In addition to some really tasty herbed crackers is their own version of crunch-n-munch. That addictive caramel corn stuff that is the perfectly salty sweet snack to go with cocktails or beer, although I noticed one of our party couldn't stop popping it in his mouth with alternating sips of cabernet. Bar stools have low backs and deep cushions covered in what looks like ostrich skin or similar. And the lounge chair arrangements are also extremely comfortable.

NotQuickDraw and I spent a bit under three hours at PS7 tonight, our first time there. Not our last.

Most of what we tried tonight has been described already - I can only echo the favorable descriptions, and for anyone who may have had a poor experience with any dish, you have my sympathies, because when this kitchen is on, it's on.

The oxtail consomme - intensely flavorful, but light, a great stimulant to the appetite. A salad of tomatoes confit, Maytag blue cheese and various other things I can't recall was delightful, fresh, the tomatoes divine and the cheese in perfect balance, adding flavor but no bite. NQD's East and West (blue crab flan and kumamoto oysters) is not the sort of thing I would eat; she found the oysters very good (but she's not a real fan of oysters), and the crab delicious.

Warm foie gras custard. My immediate reaction upon tasting it was a word not suitable for utterance in a public space, as NQD pointed out, so I won't repeat it here. Every once in a while I taste something so good it makes me laugh, whether from pleasure or surprise or actual amusement I'm never quite sure. This was one of those dishes. Rich in flavor, delicate in mouth feel, and probably could have been placed at the end of the meal as a savory dessert. Exquisite.

NQD's lamb was perfectly cooked and delicious (or so she says). The faux risotto accompanying it was a huge hit; she'd gladly order a bowl of the stuff if she could. I had the beef two ways; the short ribs were delicious, with a crustiness on the outside and tender juiciness inside. I can see how the ribs might easily become dry, and that would be just a tragedy. The rib eye was cooked exactly as I ordered it, which was my mistake; cooked slightly less would have improved it, but that's certainly not something I can blame on the kitchen. It was delicious anyway, but would have been better at medium-rare than my usual medium (yeah, I know, Philistine!).

Desserts - NQD went for chocolate, I chose peach, and we each got the better end of the deal. Both were delicious, it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Wines were left in Danny's expert hands. Not being terribly knowledgeable about such things, I won't attempt descriptions, but each was a winner, even the sauvignon blanc that NQD wasn't thrilled by on its own but that came to life with food (the oysters and blue crab dish). Sparkling sake was a revelation - we had no experience with sake, sparkling or otherwise, and fell in love with this stuff. There were cocktails to start the evening, but other than the fact that mine had pear and vodka and NQD's had bourbon, I don't recall what was in them. We'll be back for another round.

Service was excellent. I'm apparently incapable of remembering our server's name, but he was both knowledgeable and helpful, seems genuinely excited to be working there, and was careful to ensure not only that all of our needs were met but that the style and pacing of service was right for us. The rest of the staff were uniformly good, and Danny was, well, Danny, which is a very good thing for PS7 and its customers.

OK, I probably sound like I was paid for this review, so let me balance that with a few negatives. We didn't like the menus, which open in landscape (sideways); NQD dropped hers a couple of times. Hmmm, what else? The bathrooms were a bit dark, and the music not really to my taste. As for the kitchen, no, sorry, I really can't say anything bad about the kitchen.

Many thanks to Danny and everyone at PS7. We'll be back.

Saw the first night of the bar menu tonight.

Very nice stuff. I like the bar area a lot. It was great to see starfish again and nice to meet the rest of the crew.

But all of you must go now for one thing on the lounge menu in particular. Don't open the menu, just trust me. I didn't have the perfect match tonight, but I would feel comfortable with what I am about to suggest.

Say to the barkeep, "Victory Prima Pils and and an order of Veal Cheek Chips, please". You'll be happy: Or my name's not Orville Redenbacher.

What DanielK is saying is, there's a new bar menu. And in addition to the dry wit stylings of Mixmaster Adam Bernbach, there's a real, live Yat (Mara, I believe, was her name) to make your Sazerac.

Thank you, Jake. I hope everyone enjoyed. However, her name is Laura. We will try to have her make all Sazeracs, if possible. There's that bit of authenticity that only she lends to the cocktail.

How did you like it? I was there for dinner the other night. Quite good. Everything was top notch. Love the wine list, but of course, Danny is super picky about his list. And of course, everything he offered was incredible. I had sparkling saki at the bar before we went to dinner. How was it for you?

Nice space, great staff, good to meet Danny again, only had a beer (Victory prima pils) so can't comment on the wine. The complimentary caramel popcorn is a fantastic match with the pils by the way. I was on my way elsewhere so only had the soup sampler, 4 'shots' of soup....tomato beer soup and mushroom veloute were both very tasty, lobster chowder and oxtail soup didn't quite do it for me

This place is a star in the making.

We had a superlative meal and experience here on Saturday. I gather that several people have enjoyed the bar and the food. I can attest to the fine dining experience being top notch. The chef is excellent and Danny's talent and careful training of his staff shows throughout.

Things I love:

Pretty much eveything. The space is large, attractive, and modern without being too much. The music is classic and reminds me of how much I always enjoyed the music at Notti. The staff is very well informed - Judith was our server and was great - and does a great job balancing being experts on everything you could ever have a question about / attendind to your every need and letting you take your time to enjoy a delicious meal and a fine bottle of wine. The wine list was largely unfamiliar to me, but we had a fantastic Australian GSM, which came recommended, and was well within our price range. I was pleased to see several, indeed most, of the bottles on the list were available for $40 or under. The stemware and silver are both of great quality. The bathrooms are fun and have fish bowls built into the walls with goldfish in them!

The food:

Tasty amuse of duck confit;

Amazing breads which are the work of the restaurant's fine pastry chef, Naomi Gallego, formerly of Vidalia and more recently Equinox; cottage cheese, apple bacon, and carmelized onion are all great with the apple bacon being a real star. Someone else compared them to the Cityzen parker house rolls and I would concur in saying those are the top two breads in town.

Foie Custard that I liked, she loved and lives up to its billing

Sea Scallops Boudin starter with three perfecty cooked scallops

Veal three ways - loin, sweet breads, and braised w/ mushrooms - mmmmmmmm

Popcorn Crusted Halibut - sounds weird, but it works and the sides of argula flan, onion ragu, and tonka bean emulsion were to do die for.

Only quibbles:

My halibut was overcooked. That being said, while I hate overcooked fish, we still ate every bite. The preparation really sounds weird on paper, but works in practice and it was a great piece of fish to still taste so good after a little too long on the heat.

And I'm not sure how long the 7 concept will make sense - we were happy each having one of the first three courses and one of the four-fives.

Ultimately, I think this place will have real staying power as an outstanding fine dining spot in town. They have a beautiful space, fantastic chef and pastry chef, and though its much larger than Notti was, Danny's thoughtful touches and well trained staff shine through. And they have a beautiful separate room for groups of 10-20 that I hope to take advantage of soon. Many thanks to Danny et al for a lovely evening.