PS7's, Chef Peter Smith at 777 I Street, Verizon Center - With Sous Chef Andrew Markert - Closed

Anybody tried the patio since it opened?

We went on the first night it opened (I think last Tuesday). Owen had the patio special (2 mini hot dogs that come with chips and a Brooklyn lager all for, I think, $10.00), and I had a glass of wine and the tuna sliders, and we shared the mushroom spring rolls. Owen seemed to think the dogs were a little greasy, but the price was definitely right. The tuna sliders were excellent, and the mushroom spring rolls were fine, but not all that different-tasting from a regular spring roll at a decent Chinese place. The service was extremely accomodating - when we showed up, there wasn't an open table on the patio, so the waitstaff brought one out from inside. I think we'd go back - it had kind of a "something for everyone" vibe.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Four of us went to PS-7 last night to sample their Restaurant Week menu. None of us had been there before, Sietsema's review was middling and this board hasn't discussed the place in a while or in great detail... we were flying blind.

PS 7 was great last night.

We started in the bar with a Malbec -- the bartender correctly sized us up as 20-somethings on a budget and steered us towards a $32 Malbec, which was less than the bottle we'd asked for initially and tasty enough that we got another bottle with our entrees.

The four of us shared our four appetizers, most of which appear on the regular menu:

DPJ: A generous portion of crispy duck confit with duck prosciutto. The confit had a wonderful texture -- imagine a pulled pork slapped on a griddle for thirty seconds, just long enough for it to get a little crispy on the outside, but stay soft and succulent on the inside. That, plus the crisp skin, the spicy peanuts, the thin slices of duck prosciutto, the peeled grapes... I really liked this one, and the Malbec paired beautifully.

Caprese: A good-but-standard tomato mozzarella salad. The produce was great, beautiful yellow and red tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, basil chiffonade, balsamic, olive oil, sea salt... You know.

Mussels: The PEI Mussels also fall into the good-but-standard category. Garlic. Thyme. White Wine. I like to go to restaurants for things I couldn't possibly make at home -- though good, this was not that sort of dish. The mussels themselves were small, which sounds like a city-wide problem that may well be seasonal.

Tuna Sliders: A teaspoon of diced tuna between quarter-sized, buns, brioche I believe. The tuna was seasoned with olive oil and cilantro. Also on the plate were dollops of a mild creme with a spicy siracha center and a salad that I didn't taste -- it looked like cucumber ribbons, but I'm not sure. Perhaps, by combining both tuna tartare and a mini-burger, this appetizer has blown past trite and come all the way around to cutting edge, I dunno. Either way, the sliders were quite good.

Oh -- the bread. The housemade bread was novel, and sounded fabulous, but it didn't knock me over. The bacon-and-some-herb-I-forget biscuit was a too-dense little nugget and probably would have been great warm. The goat cheese roll was softer and warm, and better, but it was hard to tell where the goat cheese factored in. Anyway, I applaud them for making their own bread, but neither of them sung to me last night.

Of the entrees, I tried the scallops and ordered the hangar steak (rare): The scallops, I dunno, they were big, well-cooked scallops, browned and a little bit crisp on the outside, but a fork shot right through them. The hangar was great -- it came almost Pittsburg style, heavy char on the outside, warm, red and gooey in the middle. Delicious. I just wish they'd been a little more generous with the blue cheese aioli -- the potato gnocchi sucked it all up, and I didn't really get to taste it with the steak.

We also split two sides, which were straight off the regular menu. The asparagus with pickled ramps and morels came chopped into bite-sized pieces, great for sharing, and the toasted quinoa with pine nuts and dried cherries was a great addition, helping to soak up the richness of the meal. Incidentally, if I could invest in grains-that-appear-on-restaurant-menus futures, I'd put it all on quinoa. Last year I had never seen the stuff. In the past three months, I've seen it here, at Vegetate and at Las Canteras.

On to dessert... I had the mixed berries. Strawberries and blackberries topped with something a little thicker than a standard whipped cream. They were delicious, but the winner was what I believe was a peach cobbler. I only had one bite, as the girls staked their claim early and finished it fast.

I'll be back.

/end gratuitously long restaurant review

Alex

PS 7's Regular Dinner Menu: http://www.ps7restaurant.com/downloads/ps7_dinner.pdf

Four of us went to PS-7 last night to sample their Restaurant Week menu. None of us had been there before, Sietsema's review was middling and this board hasn't discussed the place in a while or in great detail... we were flying blind.

PS 7 was great last night.

Everything you said, seconded. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised to find so many options for each course and delighted by the lack of upcharges. We had many of the same dishes, to similar effect, but I'll add that:

the veal was wonderfully tender and my first taste of sweetbreads was velvety smooth and surprisingly mild

the beingnets were in the good-but-standard category; would have been better served warm(er? we did wait a bit) and the chocolate sauce was far better than the strawberry sauce

the lemon cheesecake was strongly lemon-y and airy-light, the perfect cheesecake for the summer

the service was plentiful and professional

the restaurant is decorated almost exclusively in pleasing shades of brown and there are goldfish swimming in the walls of the women's restroom!!!

(Also, Tyler Cowen likes PS7's and correctly called their RW strategy! Click)

Everything you said, seconded. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised to find so many options for each course and delighted by the lack of upcharges. We had many of the same dishes, to similar effect, but I'll add that:

the veal was wonderfully tender and my first taste of sweetbreads was velvety smooth and surprisingly mild

the beingnets were in the good-but-standard category; would have been better served warm(er? we did wait a bit) and the chocolate sauce was far better than the strawberry sauce

the lemon cheesecake was strongly lemon-y and airy-light, the perfect cheesecake for the summer

the service was plentiful and professional

the restaurant is decorated almost exclusively in pleasing shades of brown and there are goldfish swimming in the walls of the women's restroom!!!

(Also, Tyler Cowen likes PS7's and correctly called their RW strategy! Click)

This is some refreshing news.

“Don’t write off Peter Smith,” a good friend told me a few months ago. “The guy can cook circles around most anyone in town.”

And yet I pretty much had written off PS7's, at least in the short-term, based on a string of unfortunate meals, most recently a few months ago when I left swearing there was no reason for me to return. But I did, and I’m not writing it off any longer.

Seven of us showed up in the relatively empty lounge last night, and ordered a variety of dishes, both from the lounge menu and the main menu. Although I didn’t have a chance to try everything, there was consensus that every item served hit the mark - at one point I polled the table, starting from my left and going clockwise, and all I heard was “great,” “great,” “love it,” “it’s great.”

And then I got back around to myself, with a plate in front of me and a bowl to my right. Petite House Made Hot Dogs ($10) is a plate of three little house-made sausages, each on a little Naomi Gallego-made roll. These were fantastic sandwiches, the simple “traditional accompaniments” being spoons of ketchup, mustard, and house-made relish. As good as these were, the accompanying pommes frites were flat-out amazing - a little paper cone (yes, yes, I know) filled with the tiniest little shoestring frites, glistening with the utterly fascinating combination of Danish Viking Smoked Salt and Banyuls Blanc, which masqueraded as a sophisticated form of malt vinegar and took the entire dish to another level.

You might not think to get hot dogs with risotto, but do it anyway. A full order ($18, $9 for a half-portion) with wild mushrooms, lemon, and Grana Padono cheese sounds fairly simple, and it is, but the execution was so good that the subtle intensity of the lemon and cheese were able to turbo-charge the mushrooms, and the perfect texture added a quasi-nutty feel to the dish. In today’s era when so many risottos are cooked into porridge, gruel, and mush, PS7's outstanding version stands out like a butterfly.

When Verizon Center is packed and you don’t want to wait an hour for a table at Matchbox, think about the lounge at PS7's, which for the masses is “a block too far north, a block too far west.” Not only are you likely to get a table, there’s also a good chance you’ll see me there, enjoying Peter Smith’s cooking with renewed optimism and vigor.

I had a great lunch at PS 7's today: a well executed "wedge" salad with iceberg, pancetta, and a bleu cheese-like dressing; a really outstanding lamb steak with arugula, (more) bleu cheese, and artichokes, and some incredible mini-doughnuts. I was inspired to come in for a proper lunch by a similarly enjoyable experience in their lounge one evening last week, which included some tuna tartare "sliders," a duck confit, brie, and braised potato dish that reminded me of an upscale beef stew, and some solid cocktails and wines offered by the glass. I hope that this place gets the support it deserves. If you haven't been in, you should definitely give it a try.

Beet and goat cheese salad is so ubiquitous that it's becoming trite, even though the combination is a good one. But for me taste trumps trend, so I ordered it anyway and was shocked at how good it was. Thin slices of beet, a mound of frisee and some other bitter green, and the cheese were highlighted by beet granite and a few tiny crunchy things (panko? toasted bread crumbs?). The contrasts in texture and temperature accentuated all the flavors, making this the best beet salad I've had in a long time.

We had the same reaction to every other dish we ordered: "this is good!" It's nice to have your jaded palate refreshed every so often.

A few oddball special requests were handled honestly ("I don't know if we can do that, but let me check") efficiently (answers within a few minutes), and professionally, without stuffiness or pretense.

My only complaint is the generic Euro-trash hair salon techno dance crap background noise. The original GM had much better taste in music. I miss him.

PS - the menu layout allows you to put together a really nice vegetarian meal, if you're so inclined.

Finally got around to PS 7 tonight with my wife and some good friends. Highlights included the mini-hot dogs with the shoestring fries (although they didn't seem to have the smoked salt that was mentioned above), the duck confit appetizer with pickled grapes and toasted peanuts and the braised veal breast with roasted sweetbreads. The duck appetizer was a real pleasure to eat-- a generous portion of well made confit worked extremely well with the bright acidity of the grapes and the salt and toastiness of the nuts. Our service was extremely professional, efficient and friendly thanks to our waiter Byron. I'm looking forward to our next trip!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we are kicking off our Beer and Brats this Friday (today!). Come in and get a Paulaner Octoberfest and one of Peter Smith's housemade brats for only $10. Available at the bar (or the patio on a nicer day) every Wednesday and Friday anytime after 2:30p.

Come by and say hi...I'll be here all day!

Thanks,

Tiffany

With the unfortunate closing of Restaurant Kolumbia, Jamie Stachowski has passed the charcuterie baton to Peter Smith.

"Jamie was doing some great work with charcuterie over there," Smith told me last Thursday evening.

Peter Smith is a madman, experimenting with salamis, chorizos, pepperoni, bresaola - in all, he's currently offering nine different selections on his Charcuterie Plate ($21), everything made at the restaurant, all the way down to the terrific grissini and condiments.

Charcuterie is a funny thing, because if you don't do it well, it isn't worth doing at all. And luck plays a big role: Barry Koslow from Mendocino Grille told me, "Humidity can make or break charcuterie, just like when you try to make your own bread."

I picked up a piece of Smith's Tuscan Salami, and thought that it had turned. I asked him to try it - he nodded his head and said, "yep, it's getting there." He then proceeded to walk into the back, and came out with another piece that was so good it was stunning. "When you're making this by hand," he said, "there are no nitrates, and no machines to do the work for you. Sometimes an air bubble will get inside the casing and there's no way to know." It's a dicey proposition taking this on, but one that pays out huge rewards when it's done correctly: PS 7's is currently serving the best house-made charcuterie board in Washington, DC (*).

And it isn't just charcuterie, either: A plate of three cherry-wood smoked hot dogs ($13), served on house-made brioche buns, and accompanied with some of the most fascinating pommes frites I've ever tasted - drizzled with Banyuls vinegar and finished with Danish smoked salt - is as good as hot dogs can ever possibly be.

Wash this all down with a Bolshevik ($13), an off-dry drink made with Snow Queen Vodka house-infused (surprise!) with beets, and finished with a little fresh lime juice and basil. This is one of the best and most elegant mixed drinks I've had in a long time, and is a perfect complement to the hot dogs.

Smith even went so far as to whip out his enormous bratwurst, also house-made, which he's offering with a beer on Fridays during happy hour for $10.

I'm completely sold on the meats being offered at PS 7's bar, and I asked Peter if he'd consider doing a special happy hour for members of this website. He agreed, and will be cutting us some special deals so he can introduce his charcuterie to the world. On Tuesday, November 13th, beginning around 6 PM, the lounge will be ours for the taking (click HERE for details).

And just wait until you try these hot dogs!

Cheers,

Rocks.

---

I hope I don't have to say this, but I'll say it anyway. The happy hour was all my idea, and when I was at PS7's last week, I paid for every single thing served. Peter Smith had brought out a plate of bratwurst that I didn't order, and I insisted that I pay for that also. There's nothing in this for me except that I want to support a chef who's doing excellent work right now, and I'm also happy for everyone to have a good time next Tuesday. Cheers.

(*) I worded that carefully because I haven't had the board at Restaurant Eve in a long time now. Also, Ruta, Koslow, and others are making fantastic individual items from time-to-time, but are not offering a full board.

Smith even went so far as to whip out his enormous bratwurst, also house-made, which he's offering with a beer on Fridays during happy hour for $10.

Ummm...is this kind of what Michael Landrum claims he might have to go back to doing?

I'm still thinking about his enormous bratwurst =;-)

With the unfortunate closing of Restaurant Kolumbia, Jamie Stachowski has passed the charcuterie baton to Peter Smith.

"Jamie was doing some great work with charcuterie over there," Smith told me last Thursday evening.

Peter Smith is a madman, experimenting with salamis, chorizos, pepperoni, bresaola - in all, he's currently offering nine different selections on his Charcuterie Plate ($21), everything made at the restaurant, all the way down to the terrific grissini and condiments.

Charcuterie is a funny thing, because if you don't do it well, it isn't worth doing at all. And luck plays a big role: Barry Koslow from Mendocino Grille told me, "Humidity can make or break charcuterie, just like when you try to make your own bread."

I picked up a piece of Smith's Tuscan Salami, and thought that it had turned. I asked him to try it - he nodded his head and said, "yep, it's getting there." He then proceeded to walk into the back, and came out with another piece that was so good it was stunning. "When you're making this by hand," he said, "there are no nitrates, and no machines to do the work for you. Sometimes an air bubble will get inside the casing and there's no way to know." It's a dicey proposition taking this on, but one that pays out huge rewards when it's done correctly: PS 7's is currently serving the best house-made charcuterie board in Washington, DC (*).

And it isn't just charcuterie, either: A plate of three cherry-wood smoked hot dogs ($13), served on house-made brioche buns, and accompanied with some of the most fascinating pommes frites I've ever tasted - drizzled with Banyuls vinegar and finished with Danish smoked salt - is as good as hot dogs can ever possibly be.

Wash this all down with a Bolshevik ($13), an off-dry drink made with Snow Queen Vodka house-infused (surprise!) with beets, and finished with a little fresh lime juice and basil. This is one of the best and most elegant mixed drinks I've had in a long time, and is a perfect complement to the hot dogs.

I'm completely sold on the meats being offered at PS 7's bar, and I asked Peter if he'd consider doing a special happy hour for members of this website. He agreed, and will be cutting us some special deals so he can introduce his charcuterie to the world. On Tuesday, November 13th, beginning around 6 PM, the lounge will be ours for the taking (click HERE for details).

Cheers,

Rocks.

---

I hope I don't have to say this, but I'll say it anyway. The happy hour was all my idea, and when I was at PS7's last week, I paid for every single thing served. Peter Smith had brought out a plate of bratwurst that I didn't order, and I insisted that I pay for that also. There's nothing in this for me except that I want to support a chef who's doing excellent work right now, and I'm also happy for everyone to have a good time next Tuesday. Cheers.

(*) I worded that carefully because I haven't had the board at Restaurant Eve in a long time now. Also, Ruta, Koslow, and others are making fantastic individual items from time-to-time, but are not offering a full board.

I believe some time ago I made a comment that, while the Ray's: The Classics review was too soon and too positive, the PS 7 review was too soon and too negative--in both cases with unfortunate results.

I am glad to see that their strong work and impressive talent has been given the chance to prove this out and that opinion has begun to turn, rightfully, in their favor.

This sounds like an Happy Hour worth taking off for.

A plate of three cherry-wood smoked hot dogs ($13), served on house-made brioche buns, and accompanied with some of the most fascinating pommes frites I've ever tasted - drizzled with Banyuls vinegar and finished with Danish smoked salt - is as good as hot dogs can ever possibly be.

I was in on Friday and had the hot dogs ($10 during HH). The buns were perfect. The dogs were a bit on the oily side but otherwise excellent. The fries were interesting, but of the "really really thin" variety that I'm not a huge fan of. Tasty (that banyuls is flavorful stuff), but a bit unweildy. Still an overall great dish.

In a nice turn, they are back to serving good beers here. Victory Prima Pils, Abita Turbodog, Brooklyn's Pennant Pale, North Coast Rasputin, Delirium Tremens (among others). And although there are no more bottles of obscure rye whiskey behind the bar, I had a decent manhattan of Jim Beam rye that was saved by a brandied cherry ("La Parisienne" was the label, but I can't find anything about these online).

And the bar remains the place to be, although I've never had dinner here...on a friday night at 8pm, the dining room was maybe 1/4 full, and I don't think I've ever seen it any more than 1/2 full. I was lucky to get a barstool.

I had a decent manhattan of Jim Beam rye that was saved by a brandied cherry ("La Parisienne" was the label, but I can't find anything about these online).

These cherries are Derek Brown-endorsed and are available, publicans, from International Gourmet.

At home, I use Turkish sour cherries in juice from the Turkish market in the same shopping center as the Fairfax branch of Minerva. Brilliant. And the juice is a fun cocktail ingredient as well.

In a moment when charcuterie is ubiquituous in DC, Chef Smith's is among the city's most impressive. Nine house made selections on a plate serve as delicious reminders of why a chef might actually go through the work of making it rather than sourcing it from elsewhere.

I was an all-thumbs assistant in a salami, chorizo, and saucisson cer-making Saturday morning with chef Smith back in April and am amazed at how his repertoire has expanded.

I was in a few weeks ago and the bartender (I forget her name) gave me a sample of this. It's amazing how strong the beet taste is from the infusion, and how nicely lime goes with beets (who knew?). I'm not much of a cocktail drinker, but this was really good. She had all sorts of other infusions going too. The chamomile vodka seemed like it was going to be pretty interesting. And try the chile infused tequila if it's still around...

And try the chile infused tequila if it's still around...
The chile infused tequila is indeed still around, and is excellent - it's got a nice savory chile flavor to it without going overboard on the spiciness. Goes well with the hot dogs, too.

I was in on Friday and had the hot dogs ($10 during HH). The buns were perfect. The dogs were a bit on the oily side but otherwise excellent. The fries were interesting, but of the "really really thin" variety that I'm not a huge fan of. Tasty (that banyuls is flavorful stuff), but a bit unweildy. Still an overall great dish.
I have to agree with you about the dogs being on the oily side, I also thought that they were too salty. I believe that the oiliness comes from them not being emulsified correctly. There are air pockets in the forcemeat where the fat had once been. The overall flavor is quite good, and I really liked the flavor and texture of the pepper relish that is served with them.

Hello again! A couple of things...I wanted to reiterate Peter's thanks for Tuesday. Everyone was fantastic. (thank you thank you thank you). And I would also like to extend an invitation to a tasting dinner for this Monday. (I know! last minute...)

Mt. Gay Rum Dinner

Roasted Blue Hubbard Squash Soup with Molasses & Mt. Gay Eclipse Infused Walnuts

paired with: Prie Blanc, Rayon, Valle D'Aosta, Italy 2006

Sauteed Scallops with Mt. Gay Glazed Sour Cherries & Foie Gras Torchon

Gewurztraminer, Abbazia di Novacella, Alto-Adige, Italy, 2006

Kurabuto Pork Three Ways with Mt. Gay Infused Seared Loin, Crisp House Cured Belly, and Braised Shoulder

Coturri, Albarello, Sonoma Valley, California, 2005

"Deconstructed" Rum Raisin Ice Cream Cone

Mt. Gay Eclipse Extra Old

Sixty-Five Dollars//Ninety-Five with wine pairing

Peter Smith at PS7's is doing a Cauliflower Soup that's hearty enough where I thought he'd used chicken stock, but it's entirely vegetarian except for the strip of crispy speck on top. Made with vegetable stock and cream, it's served around a cylinder of toasted pearl couscous and golden raisins, the roasted cauliflower providing a smokey depth which counterbalances the sweetness of the raisins. Expensive at $12, but a good soup that's worth ordering, and not at all dependent on the speck so vegetarians take note.

Cheers,

Rocks.

PS7s keeps making changes for the better.

I stopped in today for a quick bite at the bar and saw that they have taken the concept of pricing everything on the bar menu at $7 at lunch much like they do at HH. The catch is, it is not the small appetizers at lunch, but rather a list of 2 entree salads, 4 sandwiches, and a couple of desserts. I went in today and had the best pulled pork sandwich I have had in DC and an Arnold Palmer for less money than a salad with protein at Chop't.

Crazy to think that PS7s, a restaurant that I felt was one of the most overpriced in the area a year ago, now has probably the best cheap (good quality) lunch deal in Chinatown.

I liked the pork sandwich that they have on the bar menu, I just shutter at the thought of calling it pulled pork. That name has a certain connotation to me that this sandwich surely did not meet (or for that matter meat). When I think pulled pork I think of pieces of smoky pork of varying sizes (uniformity is for chopped pork) with the taste of the rub interspersed throughout it, and a concentration of pork flavor that comes from hours over a very low fire. What you get at PS7 is pork that has no smoke flavor, a uniform shred, and no a faint bit of pork flavor. The texture and uniformity of the meat shreds makes me believe that it was cooked in a moist environment. The shreds of meat are then doused in a rather innocuous sauce and placed on an overly large piece of foccacia. In fairness there is no claim on the menu that it has been smoked or what method of cooking it has slowly undergone so my expectation of what “pulled pork” should be is my own and likely will not be the same as others. I very well might order this sandwich again, but this time I will know what to expect.

And who in the hell puts mayo on pulled pork, even if it has ancho’s in it?

I liked the pork sandwich that they have on the bar menu, I just shutter at the thought of calling it pulled pork. That name has a certain connotation to me that this sandwich surely did not meet (or for that matter meat). When I think pulled pork I think of pieces of smoky pork of varying sizes (uniformity is for chopped pork) with the taste of the rub interspersed throughout it, and a concentration of pork flavor that comes from hours over a very low fire. What you get at PS7 is pork that has no smoke flavor, a uniform shred, and no a faint bit of pork flavor. And who in the hell puts mayo on pulled pork, even if it has ancho’s in it?
Damn skippy about that!! Real pulled pork must have some kind of vinegar based sauce!

Tonight was supposed to be celebrated with a dinner at Citronelle, but instead I will be at home drinking Nyquil to combat the symptoms of a hideous bout of the common cold.
The innocuous sauce that I mentioned may or may not have had vinegar in it, being that it was innocuous, I could't tell.

Hey Grumpelstiltskin, I can understand being cranky when you're not feeling well, but you can't be too critical about an innocuous sauce a day after downing Nyquil - a cold can make Zinfandel taste like Chinon, no?

Hey Grumpelstiltskin, I can understand being cranky when you're not feeling well, but you can't be too critical about an innocuous sauce a day after downing Nyquil - a cold can make Zinfandel taste like Chinon, no?
A shot of Affrin does wonders for the sense of smell well at least for an hour, at least well enough that I could smell and taste the wonderful chips that are served with the sandwich.

I did not write that it was a bad sandwich, it was decent, just not what I would expect of pulled pork. Hell a few tweaks here and there (start by losing the mayo) and a name change and it would be a damn fine sandwich.

So I'm headed to PS7 tomorrow night for (dreaded) Restaurant Week and am debating about a few things on the RW menu. Being torn I thought I'd send my options out into cyberspace for some feedback. I haven't been before, so it's all new to me:

First Course:

TUNA SLIDERS – 3pc

Spicy tuna tartare on petite Parker House rolls

Cucumber and cilantro salad

vs.

CHORIZO AND CLAM RISOTTO

Rich risotto studded with spicy chorizo, Top Neck clams and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Second Course:

PAN ROASTED RAINBOW TROUT

With petite Johnny cakes, braised collard greens and bacon and mustard seed vinaigrette

vs.

PAN ROASTED CHICKEN

With wilted spinach, pan-fried macaroni and cheese, rosemary and roasted garlic jus

vs.

STEAK & POTATOES

Pan roasted hanger steak, crisp potato gnocchi, wild mushrooms and red wine jus

Third Course:

BEIGNETS

With chocolate and red currant sauces

vs.

APPLE CRISP

With house made vanilla ice cream

First Course:

TUNA SLIDERS – 3pc

Spicy tuna tartare on petite Parker House rolls

Cucumber and cilantro salad

vs.

CHORIZO AND CLAM RISOTTO

Rich risotto studded with spicy chorizo, Top Neck clams and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Tuna sliders. I haven't tried the risotto, but I can't imagine skipping the sliders.

I second the slider recommendation and will add my own recommendation of the beignets. I haven't had them, but I have had the mini doughnuts, and they are my favorite dessert item anywhere. In fact, I don't usually get dessert, but can never pass on the mini doughnuts.

I did RW here tonight. Pretty full house. GF and I had the chopped salad and risotto to start. The risotto was ok... the tuna sliders were probably the way to go.. I saw several folks get them. I really couldn't taste the clams at all... the chorizo added some good flavor to the risotto. GF loved her chopped salad. Bacon rolls that came out with the apps were also tasty. Two changes to the entree menu that's posted on their web site.... petite filets instead of hanger steak; and pork tenderloin (at least I think it was tenderloin) instead of veal. We got the salmon and the chicken and also split an order of the haricot verts. I think the salmon was the winner here.. better flavor. Chicken was decent, but nothing special. Desserts... I'd go with the apple crisp... the beignets were good, but were served with with chocolate and currant sauces dribbled on the plate... I think little dipping bowls for the beignets would've been better. Service was decent, given the harried conditions of RW...

I'd never been to PS7 before and I think this is a case where RW did it's job... it got me in for a try, and I'm likely to come back.

edited to add: though not reflected on their web site, my credit card receipt states they're extending RW through next Saturday.

We also did dinner here last night for RW. I found the risotto quite good, and thought the chorizo and the clam both came through nicely. My GF had the tuna sliders and loved them. My rainbow trout was especially well-cooked, and my GF enjoyed the petite fillets. We both had the beignets, and thought they were okay but didn't rise to the level of the rest of the meal. The only off-note on the night were the greens that came with my trout--simultaneously too sweet and too vinegary, and not worth finishing. Service was very good--relaxed and friendly but professional. As with the above poster, this was our first visit to PS7's, but this nice RW introduction means that it won't be our last.

RW is officially the slayer of New Year's resolutions. Why oh why do they have to plan it for the middle of January?! That being said, I had an excellent meal at PS7's tonight and all 4 of us at our table said we'd return back soon.

We started off with a cocktail the waiter sold us on. The apertif of the evening was a pear nectar bellini. Housemade pear necatr and champagne. Sweet, but not over the top. Very tasty. We also split a bottle of the RW wine for $25. I believe it was Stella but I unfortunately did not pay enough attention to the label.

I was correct in heeding the advice to head for the tuna sliders (TUNA SLIDERS – 3pc SPICY TUNA TARTARE ON NAOMI’S PARKER HOUSE

ROLLS WITH A CILANTRO AND CUCUMBER SALAD). The dish is so cute when it comes to the table with the three little sandwiches. I don't know how they make those rolls but I could eat every sandwich on those. And the sauces on the plate went great with the spicy tuna. I'd come back just for a meal of just those and maybe a salad or soup. My friend loved her order as well. Sarah's Salad and the risotto also received praise at our table.

For the first time in a long time, all 4 of us actually got different main courses. There wasn't much left on anyone's plate at the end, so I think they were all good. They had the chicken, salmon and petit filets (in place of the hangar steak on the online RW menu). I had been leaning toward the trout but the waiter steered me to the pork since he said it was his favorite on the regular menu (OAT AND BROWN BUTTER CRUSTED PORK LOIN GLAZED APPLES, BUTTERNUT SQUASH PARISIENNE AND BRAISED MUSTARD GREENS BROWN SUGAR-ROSEMARY GASTRIQUE). This also isn't on the online RW menu but seems to replace the veal. I'm a sucker for most any kind of pork and this didn't disappoint. A thick rectangle of perfectly cooked pork, perhaps a little sweeter than I would've liked, but overall a great presentation and work ordering again.

Dessert was three orders of the apple crisp (APPLE CRISP With house made vanilla ice cream) and one order of beignets. The beignets were not well received by the Baton Rouge native but the apple crisp was very good, albeit hot enough out of the oven to burn my tongue. Not necessarily creative or innovative, but a delicious dessert nonetheless.

One thing we noticed as we were paying was interesting...they had an extra slip of paper with the credit card slip that asked for name, phone number and email and in return offered 10% off your next trip back to the restaurant. Now that's a new way to get repeat customers! All in all we really liked the atmosphere and decor, had excellent food and good service and PS7's certainly sold themselves well enough that we'd come back any time.

I see that they have extended the RW menu here for a while. If we go before a Caps game, should we just hit the lounge w/ that menu, or should we do the RW menu. The earliest we could get there is 5:30. How full would the lounge be at that time?

Thanks! I've never been, but these posts have inspired me to try it.

I see that they have extended the RW menu here for a while. If we go before a Caps game, should we just hit the lounge w/ that menu, or should we do the RW menu. The earliest we could get there is 5:30. How full would the lounge be at that time?

Thanks! I've never been, but these posts have inspired me to try it.

Depends on if you are in the mood for happy hour and a few small plates or a three course meal. I'm a big fan of the happy hour here and haven't had any problems finding seats at the bar in the past. I suppose the Caps game could cause you problems, but I think you'd be ok at 5:30.

Depends on if you are in the mood for happy hour and a few small plates or a three course meal. I'm a big fan of the happy hour here and haven't had any problems finding seats at the bar in the past. I suppose the Caps game could cause you problems, but I think you'd be ok at 5:30.

True. We almost never eat 3 courses, and right before a Caps game might really be pushing it. Happy hour in the lounge it is. Thanks.

I had a very nicely done lunch today at PS7's, which was part of their extended restaurant week deal. As starter, I had their winter chopped salad, with romaine and frisee, butternut squash, pumpkin seeds, currants, and a "brown sugar and spice vinaigrette." As a main course, I had rainbow trout, with collard greens, sauteed onions, cornbread and a mustard sauce. And for dessert, beignets. Everything was very good; amongst the better restaurant week meals I've had. I would highly recommend everything to anyone who wants to take advantage of the special menu, which runs through Saturday.

Let me just say that Tiffany Short is by far one of THE BEST bartender/mixologists I've ever met!!!

I stopped by to say hello today and she made me the Bolshevik Martini with beet infused Snow Queen vodka tinged with basil and lime and I just couldn't believe it! WOW!

The chile infused tequila is indeed still around, and is excellent - it's got a nice savory chile flavor to it without going overboard on the spiciness. Goes well with the hot dogs, too.

Sure does! And the El Diablo is a pretty cool cocktail (chile infused 1800 muddled with cilantro and lime). Actually Tiffany's entire list is darn swell. My only complaint is that I'm learning the hard way that her stuff goes down a little too easily...

The hot dogs and the tuna sliders are still big winners on the bar menu, though the mini parker house rolls weren't quite as exciting as in the past.

The absolutely wonderful things about PS7's...

1. They have the best happy hour deals in town. Yes, some place that I have yet to find may be better, but the chance that these deals would be in a restaurant as nice as this and in such a bustling area would be slim to none.

2. Going back to this bustling area, near the Verizon Center on a game night, PS7's is the perfect distance away, close enough to easily walk there, but far enough way to keep teh bar from being so crowded that it is not enjoyable.

3. Going back to the restaurant itself, it really is a nice place, the bar is open and airy, lots of room to maneuver, and the dining room is separated enough so you could have a quiet meal without hearing all the ruckus going on in the bar.

4. The drinks, in one word, are outstanding. The $7 price for cocktails of this caliber make it an incredible deal. The El Diablo is superb, the best one of the evening, similar kudos go to the Dirty Brooklyn, the Vanilla Sidecar and the Lavender Gimlet. And, while I didn't love the Bolshevik, I loved that they tried it. Overall, it is just refreshing to me to see drinks made this well, with this much liquor, and not cost as much as an entree.

5. The food, in one word, is thoughtful. I know that may not sound like a huge compliment, but it really is. During happy hour, the $7 price is just right and the creativity in the dishes is just what you want to see. Arancini, Braised Fingerling Potatoes with Duck Confit and Brie, Tuna Sliders and Spring Rolls, all tasted great, all were fresh, but all of them were also filling enough for any diner to be happy.

6. The value. Me and my partner in crime had all five of those drinks and all four of those appetizers and walked out the door $80 poorer including tax and tip. That doesn't even take into account the $4 wine specials that they had last night (red, white and sparkling choices) or the $2.50 beer of the day.

The bad things about PS7's...

1. They were out of the housemade hot dogs last night! I don't have a pet, but I have the feeling that if I did have a pet, I was more upset last night that they were out of hot dogs than if my pet ran away.

All in all, this is one hell of a good place, always has been, always will be.

1. They were out of the housemade hot dogs last night! I don't have a pet, but I have the feeling that if I did have a pet, I was more upset last night that they were out of hot dogs than if my pet ran away.

What did the man say when his pet ran away?

Doggone.

What did the bartender say when you asked for hot dogs last night?

Doggone.

I don't want to go into a lot of detail here, a la whining about it on TS' chat, but at a recent dinner they dropped the ball, in a major way. But before our party could even think of what to do about it, the manager and waiter came over, apologized, and offered - actually, insisted on - a ridiculously generous comp. They were gracious and professional, which is how they were all the other times I've dined here.