PS7's, Chef Peter Smith at 777 I Street, Verizon Center - With Sous Chef Andrew Markert - Closed

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the fish dishes. I've always found the meat dishes to be stronger (with the exception of a stunning seafood dish I had at a multi-course wine dinner there) and have steered myself away from the fish dishes in more recent years . Maybe I will venture out again next time. Nah, on second thought I probably won't, the meat dishes are just too good. But I will stop steering my friends away from the fish so I can try them. :)

Can very solid food with deft execution for what must be a large well-staffed kitchen make up for a 50 minute wait past reservation time and discourteous treatment despite that wait? As I take my internal temperature sitting here a couple days after, I'm going to have to say no, since it seems that, despite the quality of the meal, I'm thinking I won't go back. We (three couples) arrived spot on time (a few minutes early in fact) for our 8:30 reservation. After a slightly awkward coat check experience (the hosts both check guests in AND take coats in a narrow bottleneck of a location with servers squeezing by as heavy wraps are hoisted over the reception desk), we were cheerfully informed that, while "our" table had "paid", the table had not yet been "cleared" (i.e., those that preceded us were lingering). I'd been looking forward to sampling one of Gina's Sazeracs so we happily adjourned to the bar to wait the couple minutes needed to clear and set the table. ANNd the clock started ticking. The scene at the bar was a bit chaotic....several mixologists (Gina not there) working away at some beautiful concoctions but service a bit slow and awkward...drinks just lovely though (Sazerac zesty and exotic with absinthe misted from an olive oil spray apparatus and my wife's beet/gin cocktail valentine-appropriate in a deep red; not too sweet). We began a process of checking back every 10 minutes or so as to the status of clearing the paid table- -we had the actual table pointed out and saw the party there showing no signs of having finished dining, let alone having paid (the "paid" part turned out to be untrue- -won't use the word "lie")....and we began to commiserate with others whose waiting time was getting attenuated, forming a little community of righteous indignation. As we ticked toward the hour mark, we identified the gentlemen who was managing the front of the house.....he noted our concern without making eye contact and kept walking.....the host(ess), who had been very solicitous and kind, ran up to report that a large party had left a private room and they were setting it up for us as well as our comrades-in-waiting......so as the clock hit a full hour after our arrival, we were seated.....with no accomodation ordered.....our desire for retribution being somewhat high at the time, one of our companions, who had brought wine along, suggested that the restaurant waive the corkage fee in light of the delay.....after consultation at some undisclosed location, the front of house manager (grudgingly) agreed....the service after that was quite good (though, as the restaurant emptied as 10 pm approached, I imagine people were freeing up) and, as I said, the food was lovely....after being told that my first choice the Foie Gras Bar was 86'ed, I had the deconstructed rabbit brioche and, as our friendly server suggested, I first sampled the components then mixed them all together- -it was whimsical and tasty....I got to sample a companion's House-made Hot Dogs- - -it was quite excellent and served with a cool smear of condiments on a large plate...my pork loin entree with roasted brussel sprouts, lentils, pureed turnips and a virginia ham garnish were perfectly prepared....and an enormous portion (which I nonetheless was able to polish off)....my wife's branzino was lovely too....the Cosby's 140% dessert we shared was worth saving room for....a dense pudding on one end of plate...a chocolate chip cookie topped with milk sorbet on the other.....So I ask myself after all this- -if the meal was so good (and it truly was)- -why do I have these negative thoughts? I guess, at least in this case, that, for me, service and feeling cared-for is more important than food quality in its effect on the overall experience.......W

I finally had a chance to check out PS7's a couple weeks ago for a very late lunch (actually ended up eating off the bar happy hour menu since we got there a little before 4 pm). Overall I was pretty happy. Our goat cheese flatbread was very good, as was the Primanti Bros style sandwich. The salami jalapeno peppers were a little weird (a black bread crumb coating?) but tasted pretty good. Pretty good deals on HH drinks as well, either cheap commercial beers or reasonably priced signature cocktails or punch.

I don't know what I was thinking. All the time I think "I'll just go to PS7 for a quick bite and a couple of drinks" and it turns into craziness. In a good way, mind you, but wheeeeeeeee.

I went down last night to make sure I had my credit card in for the April 16th "One Nation Under Bacon" - learning from Peter Smith how to clean and cook a 75 pound suckling pig, while Gina teaches you how to pair it with cocktails ($100), followed by a pig roast and cocktail pairing dinner later ($95 + $50, respectively). I'm really excited about that day, and the fact that my brother is doing it too means it should be even more fun. Hopefully it should help out if I manage to pull off doing a pig roast for my birthday this summer...

Of course, I get there, and Gina has people for me to meet - Brad and Dawson, bartenders from The Usual in Fort Worth, TX, visiting DC on their way up to NYC, and hanging out with Owen at the bar. Then the folks behind a new vodka (which was surprisingly good) showed up. Then Gina of course had to make sure we had copious amounts of drinks. As I said: "wheeeee!"

I did try one of the new dishes on the menu, the "Dr. Edwards". It's an open faced sandwich on garlic bread with homemade meatballs, roasted tomatoes, parmesan, and a fried egg. DELICIOUS, if slightly messy. It came with a side of cold macaroni salad which I barely even touched because the sandwich was enough for me.

(Oh. And if you're not interested in "One Nation Under Bacon", PS7 is doing a "Beer + a shot = Cocktails" on March 12th for $65 with Gina and Andrew Markert.)

EDIT: Oh, and got my favorite line from visiting bartenders, which I've heard before: "Everyone is so friendly here!" We're lucky to live in a city with such a great crew of chefs and drink-makers of various titles, I believe.

Edited by SeanMike

I went down last night to make sure I had my credit card in for the April 16th "One Nation Under Bacon" - learning from Peter Smith how to clean and cook a 75 pound suckling pig, while Gina teaches you how to pair it with cocktails ($100), followed by a pig roast and cocktail pairing dinner later ($95 + $50, respectively).

And where, pray tell, might one find more details about this wondrous event? There's nothing on their website.

I have the information from a flyer that I got in the restaurant.

April 16th - "One Nation Under Bacon" How does the saying go, "April showers bring spring pigs?" Well, that may not be entirely correct but it's what is happening at PS 7's. Join Chef Peter Smith to learn the art of cleaning and cooking a piggy. Mixtress Gina Chersevani will teach you how to pair the pig with cocktails that do not suck(ling). Promptly starts at 11am. Cost $100 per person, space is extremely limited. *** (This class will be followed that evening with a Pig Roast and cocktail pairing dinner, $95 for the tasting, $50 for the pairing for a total of $145 that does not include tax and gratuity.)***

For reservations call 202.742.8550

I have the information from a flyer that I got in the restaurant.

April 16th - "One Nation Under Bacon" How does the saying go, "April showers bring spring pigs?" Well, that may not be entirely correct but it's what is happening at PS 7's. Join Chef Peter Smith to learn the art of cleaning and cooking a piggy. Mixtress Gina Chersevani will teach you how to pair the pig with cocktails that do not suck(ling). Promptly starts at 11am. Cost $100 per person, space is extremely limited. *** (This class will be followed that evening with a Pig Roast and cocktail pairing dinner, $95 for the tasting, $50 for the pairing for a total of $145 that does not include tax and gratuity.)***

For reservations call 202.742.8550

The same info was in the WaPo, click.

There's only so many times you can go to The Passenger 10pm on a Saturday night -- you know it's going to be packed, you know you'll probably won't get a seat, and even though I *really* wanted the Duck Carnitas last night, I'd been going there a disproportionate number of times to my visits to other worthy venues. Plus, the more I thought about it, the more I remember how Rocks thought Peter's burgers were just as good as any in town. Time to throw down with Gina!

As a pretty casual guy (read: near-sloven), I often feel out-fancied by the usual lounge clientele at PS7's, and I find the conversation to be pretty guarded there as well. Last night, I eased into some easy bar talk with two laid-back gentlemen. And I was pretty happy I was wearing jeans -- the Chef's Choice Burger ($12) wears an immodest bun that barely holds together the patty, bacon, and fried egg -- though delicious, pretty soon the yolk is dripping everywhere. Each of my two new friends immediately ordered one once mine arrived, and soon we were "those guys" at the end of the bar drinking, feasting, laughing.

Gina, of course, loves to encourage a party. We abused her hospitality until about midnight, where she ushered all the the remaining deadbeats to -- where else? -- The Passenger! Bet you didn't see that one coming . . .

So fellow cocktail blogger Doug (aka PeguDoug) was in town with his wife this week for a couple of days, part of his trip around the country to check out various cool bars and restaurants. We had 9:30 PM Columbia Room reservations and when he asked where we should eat before-hand I told him in no uncertain terms that we were going to PS7's.

"Should we get reservations?" he asked me repeatedly.

"NO! NEIN! NYET!" I responded. "I shall secure seats at the bar."

It's not that I have anything against the dining room. It's just that I'm more of a bar food kind of guy, and PS7's has great bar food. Also, I wanted to make sure he got a chance to meet Gina because, well, ya GOTS to meet Gina.

I texted Gina early to warn her. She told me that she had a surprise for me. I asked if I should be scared. She said excited but a bit scared. Thus I was.

Doug and his wife showed up and Gina asked us if we were allergic to anything or if we had anything against frozen drinks. After we assured her no on both counts, she disappeared, only to come back out with a huge frozen strawberry cucumber Pegu Club. Delicious.

I checked out the new menu that chef debuted the other day featuring recipes from the '30s and '40s he got from an old family cookbook. Basically, it was baked beans and bacon on a sandwich bun with lettuce and onions. Delicious, and good potato chips with it.

Doug had the People's Half Smoke, only getting through one of them and loved it. His wife destroyed at least half a Drew's Burger, also quite enjoying it. We'd also split an order of the banh mini (a big hit) and the charcuterie (the one done with gin botanicals was crazy good).

Oh, and the Experimental Orange Soda: I am limited to one a night, because otherwise I'd drink as many of them as possible because they are so damn delicious. Man, I love that drink. Tastes like an Orange Julius (or at least how I remember one) or one of those orange push-up things I used to get as a kid. Orange + vanilla = crazy delicious

I need to get back there and check out more of the new menu...

post-4188-0-89634700-1307722945_thumb.jp

Went to PS 7's Saturday night and had what was probably the best meal I've had there (outside of the special multi-course wine pairing dinner I went to there) and one of the best meals I've had out in general in a long time.

We arrived over 15 minutes early for our reservations, but were seated promptly. We decided we wanted to linger over cocktails and work up a bit more of an appetite. My gnome's water cocktail was exactly what I wanted - a summery refreshing drink that allowed me to get my appetite going. My friend had the beet & bourbon cocktail (the name escapes me), which was surprisingly good to a girl who still has a tough time with the stiff bourbon cocktails at times. Part way through we decided we were getting a bit hungry and it would be a good idea to share the banh minis. :blink: They were good, and I would happily eat them again, but probably my least memorable dish of the night.

As we were finishing that up, we ordered our actual appetizers (prepare yourselves, this was a night of gluttony to say the least), the Hoaxes Poke for me and the Basil Snails for my friend. Both dishes were truly outstanding, but that tuna dish I could eat over and over and over. Perfectly thin carpaccio slices of tuna with salty squares of watermelon, fresh cilantro and a sesame-soy dressing. The kicker were these crunchy tiny balls (have no idea what they were, forgot to ask) that added a wonderful texture to the dish. The one thing we both noticed (and this is probably nothing new to those of you familiar with the food here) is that the chef has a slightly heavy hand with the salt. I find the result to be perfectly seasoned food for me, but I think there may be some people who would have found our dishes (particularly mine) salty. But those people would be idiots so who cares. Pairings, which were both good were of our own choosing, the sauvignon blanc for me and the rose for my friend, both by the glass.

I think somewhere in there we managed to order dinner, I'm not quite certain when that actually happened. We seemed to be having a hard time narrowing down our choices (myself in particular) and our waitress was incredibly informed about the components of each dish we asked about, and also accommodating about our sort of strange way of ordering. Ultimately with reassurance that the potentially sweeter components were separate from the rest of the dish, I ordered the chicken a la waffles and my friend chose Flying & Fish. We also asked about wine pairings for our dishes and the server immediately offered to get the sommelier, a detail that did not go unappreciated by me.

The chicken and waffle dish was again a star and that is saying a lot given my antipathy toward boneless chicken in general and ordering chicken in restaurants. Several thin slices of chicken breast seared really well with crispy skin layered on top of sauteed mushrooms and ramps with an apricot ricotta and a vidalia onion "syrup" on the side. I did find the ricotta on the sweeter side so I used it sparingly, but the syrup was incredibly savory and in the end, the entire amount got poured over my dish. The flying & fish was a unique combination of ingredients, some almost seemingly mismatched and yet when combined they managed to work together. It's probably not something I would choose to order and I can't really do its description justice because I only had a few bites, but those bites were really good.

The sommelier gets props as well. We were a bit indecisive about which bottle to choose after he gave us some possibilities, but it came down to the pinot that he thought would pair best with both of our dishes and the grenache I expressed interest in because I don't often get the chance to have grenache. We left the decision up to him and smart person that he is, he chose what the lady wanted. :unsure: But, he was kind enough to bring us both tastes of the pinot later, just to see what we thought. In the end, either would have worked (we both felt the pinot worked better with one dish, the grenache with the other), but we were really happy with the grenache (the Summerland, from Paso Robles if anyone is interested).

At this point, having finished every morsel on every plate and every drop of alcohol brought to our table, we probably should have stopped. Or shared a dessert and had coffee. Instead, we ordered 2 desserts and paired dessert wines with both. Desserts were the d'oh nuts and the lemon ice box. I chose a moscato to go with the lemon dessert and a really nice, but inexpensive sherry for my friend. The donuts have changed when we were last here and I was pleasantly surprised when we got 4 totally different donuts. Each one was better than the next, but my favorites were the chocolate glazed and the filled (some sort of berry). The lemon ice box dessert was a bit fussy for me, but still delicious. A refreshing lemon dessert never fails to satisfy me, I just didn't need all of the components, which were artfully if somewhat disjointedly positioned in clusters on the plate. In particular, the lemon gelee didn't do much for me (not a huge fan of that texture), but the custard itself was delicious.

All in all it was a phenomenal meal from the food to the drinks to the service. I left stuffed, satisfied, and well let's be honest, a bit liquored up as well. :mellow: I'm really looking forward to my next visit. I feel like I've "rediscovered" PS 7's.

We had never been to PS7's so went for our anniversary (which was also a delayed birthday celebration). I hadn't noted any of this when I made the Open Table reservation, but they asked if it was a special occasion when they called to confirm, so I mentioned it then. They brought us each a glass of sparkling wine for our anniversary after we sat down, which was a nice touch. I thought that was it, but they also brought peanut and jelly cubes on a plate with "happy birthday" written in chocolate at the end of the meal. (I felt a bit silly having mentioned the birthday as well, since it occurred a few days prior, but I wasn't expecting the question when I got the phone call and just blurted that out :mellow: .)

As for the meal, I loved the hotdogs (which we shared) and the Hoaxes Poke (the sheet of tuna: wow; and the whole presentation worked to bring out the best of the ingredients) but found the steak and cheese a bit too deconstructed for my liking. I wasn't expecting a conventional sandwich, but the parts here didn't add up to a satisfying whole for me. The beef was excellent but I didn't really care for the rounds of bread. They seemed too doughy or something. I couldn't put my finger on it. The bread was, in fact, the only component I didn't care for, and rather than tying the plate together, it kind of fell apart. I didn't detect much cheese but then realized that the bread pieces (listed as "cheese roll" in the menu description) had the cheese in them, and I left most of those on the plate.

My husband had a similar reaction re: the deconstruction of his chicken and waffles. The server had explained the ingredients in detail--he really knew the menu well--and my husband went ahead even though he had doubts about ordering it. While he thought the chicken itself was good, he enjoyed his first course, the peach and tomato gazpacho, more. I tried a spoonful and those flavors were mighty nice together. Whenever I see something that combines peaches and tomatoes, I avoid it, since it doesn't sound like it would work to me. But this did. Maybe I won't be so shy about combining those two things in the future.

Overall, a good meal, but I think we'd have been happier ordering more from the early part of the menu.

First time at PS7 last night for a combo anniversary/RW dinner. I don't usually like to put special requests on OpenTable reservations, but it has been too long since we got out now that we have multiple little ones so I told them it was our anniversary and nicely asked for a quiet table. PS7's service was great. They were visibly happy to see us at the host stand and took us to a quiet corner table that was a bit secluded. Then, they brought us glasses of cava to celebrate. Nice touches. Service continued to be knowedgable and good through the meal (checked on us some, but not too much, etc.).

The food was overall good, but not great. Most dishes were only good, only two were really great and we had one clunker. Before anything else, they brought out a little bread variety plate where the notable inclusion were two chive biscuits that were delicious. We started with an extra, non-RW cheese plate. The RW menu has several different apps, plus chartucherie and cheeses that you can order for what I'm guessing are regular menu prices ($8-12 for apps, $4.50/cheese, etc.). While the cheeses were very good - we had an ashed goat and a cheddar - the pieces were tiny. I think the goat was equivalent to 4 stacked quarters - kind of steep for $4.50. But the accompaniments redeemed it as they were perfect matches for the cheese. There was an apricot? fruit spread/chutney and really flavorful honey with a lot of toasted raisin bread. Also, this was the only tiny portion of the night - the RW menu was ample.

Next, we moved onto the 3 course RW menu. First starter, my wife had the nutty goat flatbread - which was huge and almost pizza like. It was very good, nice mix of nutty flavors with melted cheese. I'd order this again to share. I had the warm spinach salad with mustard thyme dressing, onion rings, mushrooms and feta (I had them hold the bacon as I don't do the swine). The bacon was not missed at all - this was the other great dish of the night - I don't usually sing the praises of a salad - but this was spot on scrumptious. I think it just hit my flavor profile perfectly - which just goes to show that if you know your likes (I LOVE onion rings, and onions in general), then it is usually good to go with your gut.

Sadly, the meal hit a big bump from there and didn't recover so well. For entrees, my wife ordered, but barely ate the sweet corn risotto with basil, cherry tomatos, parmesan, and spiced pine nuts. This was NOT a good dish. While the risotto was cooked perfectly and the plate looked pretty - the flavor was really off. First, there was nothing "sweet" about this dish at all, no hint of basil, and mostly a really, really off-tasting smokiness to the dish. My wife loves corn and loves risotto and sadly was very disappointed. I traded plates with her and tried to eat some of the risotto, but I didn't enjoy it either. We sent 2/3 of it back to the kitchen when they cleared our plates. I also noticed that at the table of 4 next to us, they had a bunch of entrees and were passing them around and general cleaned their plates - but surprise, surprise, there was at least half a plate of risotto left by them too. At the end of the meal, I told the waiter and the manager who checked in on his own that the risotto was off. The manager nicely thanked me for the input and said he'd go taste it himself. So till they fix it, word to the wise - skip the risotto on the RW menu.

The somewhat redeeming side was that the steak and cheese was very inventive and tasty as others above have already commented. Based on earlier comments, the dish for RW seems to be the same as normal. Meat was very flavorful, and I really liked the onion/garlic foam. The bread was good for mopping up the flavors, but kind of fell apart. It is a little silly too - or maybe that was just me for trying to actually stack some of the components of the dish together on one of the rounds to make an open faced "sandwich" - just doesn't work with those twirls of bread. Overall a good dish.

For dessert, my wife had the deconstructed strawberry shortcake. She thought it was ok, but didn't really get the point of deconstructing it. It tasted best when you got a bit of everything on your fork, so begged the question why not just serve good tasting strawberry shortcake. I'm guessing (it is only 1 visit afterall) PS7 struggles between sophisticated, deconstruction that works by elevating a traditional dish (e.g. steak and cheese) and having more style/flair over substance (e.g. the strawberry shortcake dessert). Interestingly, the waiter seemed to hint at this when I asked about the chicken entree - roasted chicken, savory waffle, onion syrup, etc. His response to my question - how is the chicken entree? was to completely ignore the question and say, you should really try one of 3 other entrees on the menu. I thought at first he didn't hear me correctly, so I repeated the question and he responded, well if you really want chicken then the dish consists of.....(detailed, knowledgable description)...but you probably eat chicken at home, you should get my hint and order something else. Kind of odd exchange, but hinting at this style over substance issue I think. My desset, the peachy keen (caramel panna cotta was good, but the side of berry sauce and cubes of peaches didn't add much and weren't great on their own) was tasy but similarly would have been better if it was more focused on creating a whole dessert.

For dessert, my wife had the deconstructed strawberry shortcake. She thought it was ok, but didn't really get the point of deconstructing it. It tasted best when you got a bit of everything on your fork, so begged the question why not just serve good tasting strawberry shortcake. I'm guessing (it is only 1 visit afterall) PS7 struggles between sophisticated, deconstruction that works by elevating a traditional dish (e.g. steak and cheese) and having more style/flair over substance (e.g. the strawberry shortcake dessert).

Actually, I believe that's simply a result of having a new pastry chef who prefers that style of dessert in the kitchen. If you read my review a few posts up, I mentioned the lemon dessert being a bit fussy, for similar reasons as you describe. I was told that they've got 2 people working on desserts now, but if I understood correctly, the newer person they brought in is the one taking the lead and creating desserts like these. Some of the older desserts (like the beignets) are less disjointed from the rest of their menu. Hopefully they'll iron that out in the future.

Not sure about your discussion with the server about the chicken and waffles, but I had it and it was freaking delicious. :mellow:

So anyone who knows me probably knows that I love me some PS7, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. ANYWAYS.

Swung in there last night to chat with Gina along with a couple of other folks. Two of us ended up ordering the "Chicken and Waffles" THOUGH I WAS FIRST AND HAD DIBS.

Now it seems that there are two versions - one on the dining room menu and one on the bar menu. We had the bar menu version, with black pepper waffles, a plum sauce, and liver pate'.

HOLY CRAP IT WAS DELICIOUS. In fact, I'm trying very hard not to throw various expletives in there because it was SO DELICIOUS. I WANT MORE RIGHT NOW WHY AM I NOT THERE.

$8 for it? CHEAP.

GO THERE AND ORDER IT. But not all of it, save some for me. (Or ask them to make more!)

Took out of town guests to Hellburger last night.

Burgers were amazing as always.

However, the menu has changed so that there are now 2 burger sizes to choose from. There's the Little Devil, 1/3lb. for 5.99 or the Big Devil, the original 10 ounce burger, formerly 5.99 now 9.99, a $4 price increase.

For me, Hellburger just went from being the best deal in town to the best expensive burger in the area.

That's because you haven't tried the Chef's Choice burger at PS7's. It had been almost a year since I'd tried this for the first time, and I'd actually been afraid to try it again because I didn't want my fond memories tainted. Nevertheless, last night I ordered it a second time, and while the burger was different in execution than what I remember before, I would rank these my all-time #1 and #2 burgers, anywhere, at any price. This is the best hamburger in Washington, DC!

That's because you haven't tried the Chef's Choice burger at PS7's. It had been almost a year since I'd tried this for the first time, and I'd actually been afraid to try it again because I didn't want my fond memories tainted. Nevertheless, last night I ordered it a second time, and while the burger was different in execution than what I remember before, I would rank these my all-time #1 and #2 burgers, anywhere, at any price. This is the best hamburger in Washington, DC!

Guess I know what I'm getting tonight.

Okay, so I delayed on posting because...well, I'm lazy, and of course now it's fuzzier than it should be (much like my face). So let me try to recap.

We ended up having 7 people (after initially thinking 12 - oh well). I'd wanted to just do the bar, because I enjoy the food there so much, but Gina insisted that we should do the Italian dinner and have a pairing. We relented, and she, Chef, Sherette, and the rest of the staff spoiled the hell out of us.

We started off with one glitch - I had neglected to inform the restaurant that one of our guests was a pescatarian. Chef talked to her, got a feel for what she liked, and she got special versions of almost every dish, and some dishes came out that she could eat. It was awesome.

For reference, here is our menu: http://yfrog.com/z/kk133tej (Picture by Marshall)

We started with Italian wedding soup, something I'm not always a big fan of but thought was quite tasty. From there, we had a number of appetizers such as the rice balls. Gina gave us a drink with Aperol, prosecco, Meyer lemon, and rosemary to match with it. (Drink ingredients also courtesy of Marshall.)

After that came the pasta course. Linguini carbonara was my favorite, it was like the creamiest rock of crack I've ever ingested. Honestly, though, the only one I didn't really care for was the linguini with white clams, not because it wasn't good (it was good) but by the time I got to it, I was near about to full, and I'm not a huge seafood + pasta fan on the best of days.

That course was matched with a cocktail Gina made with Barolo and some other stuff. I know that's quite specific.

Next came the protein course, matched with Gina's favorite Super Tuscan. The chicken I would have lauded as spectacular but the veal - oh my goodness, the veal was even better.

Then we begged for Averna, which was followed by coffee and Sambuca matched with the homemade (and not on the menu) cannoli.

That was, by far, the best Italian meal I've ever had. I would recommend everything on the menu in the picture. Just thinking about it is making me hungry, and I just ate lunch...

For anyone who is interested, they're doing another Italian Night tomorrow, February 2.

Mangiare alla Tavola di Nana Masi

‘Eat at Nana Masi’s table’

It is said that we can’t choose our families, but Chef Peter Smith, for one, certainly lucked out in the Nana department. Join us this Thursday, February 2nd as he channels his great-grandmother ‘Nana Masi’ when he turns PS7’s into a temporary Italian trattoria, offering dishes inspired by her cherished family recipes from the old country.

Come & be a part of la famiglia and taste the generations of cooking that have been enjoyed by the Masi family for over 100 years.

‘Classic Italian dishes’ revived without great cost.

Join us for ITALIAN NIGHT! 5:30 pm-10pm, menu is á la carte, dishes range from $4-$19.

Bon Appetito!

Make a reservation, Nana will be so proud. Hurry as space is limited.

PS7's is located at:

777 I Street NW

Washington, DC 20001

Phone: 202.742.8550

Fax: 202.789.7889

Makes me sad, although I'm intrigued at what little we know about her new venture, and selfishly happy that it will be on Capitol Hill (apparently 6th and Pennsylvania, possibly the old Ba Bay/Locanda space?).

Not according to Fritz Hahn:

"Speculation about the location of a certain cocktail bar on the Hill - everyone who posted was wrong. Not old Ba Bay @PoPville@Eater_DC"

Has anyone done the tasting menu recently? Someone I know did it about a year ago and told me it was one of the best dining experiences he's had in DC (and he's hit up every major player there is, and said he'd rank this at the top). Hearing that, I booked a spot for this Saturday for my girlfriend and me as a belated Valentine's Day present. I booked it well over a month ago, when Gina was still there, and debated cancelling it after she left, but I figured that the other bartenders were trained under her, so it should be great, right? Plus I enjoy Peter's cooking.

Has anyone done the tasting menu recently? Someone I know did it about a year ago and told me it was one of the best dining experiences he's had in DC (and he's hit up every major player there is, and said he'd rank this at the top). Hearing that, I booked a spot for this Saturday for my girlfriend and me as a belated Valentine's Day present. I booked it well over a month ago, when Gina was still there, and debated cancelling it after she left, but I figured that the other bartenders were trained under her, so it should be great, right? Plus I enjoy Peter's cooking.

In my experience, the food at PS7's (bar, dining room, tasting menu) has always been awesome. Having Gina there is an added bonus, but I have had many fine cocktails there made by someone other than her. I wouldn't think twice about canceling your reservations if I were you.

In my experience, the food at PS7's (bar, dining room, tasting menu) has always been awesome. Having Gina there is an added bonus, but I have had many fine cocktails there made by someone other than her. I wouldn't think twice about canceling your reservations if I were you.

We're definitely going still, but I will admit Gina's departure did give me cause. I'm sure it will be great, though. Very excited still.

We're definitely going still, but I will admit Gina's departure did give me cause. I'm sure it will be great, though. Very excited still.

I'm with jiveturk21, I wouldn't let it give you pause. Down the road I'm sure there will ramifications from Gina leaving - she was very inventive and brought a lot of new ideas to the table that resulted in new menus, classes, etc. - but as far as the current drinks on the menu, I wouldn't doubt that the other bartenders are able to execute them well. If you makes you feel any better, there's one bartender that's been there longer than Gina and I wouldn't have any qualms about him mixing my cocktails for that menu.

Agreed. Had the Chef's Choice burger for the first time today. Ordered medium rare, it came out past medium -- but it didn't matter, because it was just so delicious. I'd say that, as individual components, the meat and bun are superior chez Ruta. But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts here.

Not exactly a new rumor.

It is a new rumor, an addendum to the closure (no longer rumor), and as usual, I'm going to keep my mouth shut about the details and watch someone else break the story.

Why?

Because I'm an ineffective investigative reporter with a big heart, who values loyalty and decency above personal gain, that's why.

Remember that, my friends, when you think I'm some sort of self-serving twit holding something against you - because I wish for nothing but your success and happiness, despite the way you've treated me in the recent past.

I have said it here numerous times, but for what it's worth, PS7's has/had the best bar/lounge in the city. Even after Gina left, the cocktails there were always great and there simply was not better "bar" food anywhere around.

I was last there earlier this month (Wednesday night) and the lounge was PACKED. But, when I went to the bathroom as I was leaving (around 7:00 PM), the dining room was empty.

Truly sad.

I know we're only 30 days in, but PS7's lobster hash is the tastiest thing I've eaten this year. Ingredients: lobster (both on top and in the hash), sunchokes, a fried quail egg, pearl onions, and rosemary hollandaise.

OK, it's now 334 days into the year, and that lobster hash is still in the running for the tastiest thing I've eaten in 2012. (See pic above.) They were giving some amazing deals on restaurant.com over the last year, meaning the signs of them needing to drum up business have been visible for a while. I agree that the bar was great, too, especially the happy hour and its half-price burger night.

I have said it here numerous times, but for what it's worth, PS7's has/had the best bar/lounge in the city. Even after Gina left, the cocktails there were always great and there simply was not better "bar" food anywhere around.

I was last there earlier this month (Wednesday night) and the lounge was PACKED. But, when I went to the bathroom as I was leaving (around 7:00 PM), the dining room was empty.

Truly sad.

<nod> I just don't get it. Not every dish I've had there is perfect, but it is consistently good to great and I have had some incredibly outstanding dishes there. The service is good, bar deals are great, cocktails are fun...I don't get it. If it is what I think it is of course. :P

<nod> I just don't get it. Not every dish I've had there is perfect, but it is consistently good to great and I have had some incredibly outstanding dishes there. The service is good, bar deals are great, cocktails are fun...I don't get it. If it is what I think it is of course. :P

When I was at PS7's, the bar was often rocking, but the dining room was often sparsely populated, and that was a *big* space in a very expensive location to be having so many tables empty. That was a very ample kitchen to be serving mostly bar food.

When I was at PS7's, the bar was often rocking, but the dining room was often sparsely populated, and that was a *big* space in a very expensive location to be having so many tables empty. That was a very ample kitchen to be serving mostly bar food.

I get it, I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand why the dining room is so empty. I feel like PS 7's was never just anybody's "baby" in this city. So many other chefs and restaurants get fawned over or attention paid by the media and PS 7's just fell off the radar, but based on the food I never got that.

Truly sad.

There was a reason for that, though, and its that the food in the dining room never lived up to the cocktails and burgers in the bar.

I'm shocked it lasted this long, but glad it did as I had many a great night at the bar over the past several years

From Tom S's food chat today......

Q.

PS 7s Restaurant

Trying to make reservations at PS 7s to no avail. The phone line is a never-ending cycle of the same recording: "Our reservations mail box is full. Please hold for attendant." And Opentable.com has the restaurant listed as offline. Did it close?

A.

Tom Sietsema :

Owner Peter Smith has said he'll contact me when he has news. And that's all I'm going to type for now.

Seems slightly cryptic to me.