Ingredient Source 911

Anna Blume

Beautiful big poblanos were $1.99 a pound at the Georgetown Safeway a couple of days ago. I usually get them at Whole Foods. Same with tomatillos. Shoppers Food Warehouse usually has them, although the one in Seven Corners at least has them bagged up in multiples, so you can't choose the ones you want.

Citric acid- I can order it off amazon, but can you find it locally in Arlington area?

If you don't need huge amounts, most grocery stores will have it with the canning supplies. Ball has a bottle of it I've bought before. It might also be in the Kosher section as sour salt. Health food stores might have it in even greater sizes.

• Like 1

Preserved lemons = any Middle Eastern market, most of your better olive bars at places like Whole Foods, e.g., I know for sure I've seen them in Alexandria, Fair Oaks.

What I am looking for today, turnip greens with the turnips attached.  Preferably organically grown.

What I am looking for today, turnip greens with the turnips attached.  Preferably organically grown.

Try Mom's Organic Market in Merrifield. I vaguely recall seeing white turnips with the greens a few days ago. I could be wrong about that, so maybe call before you go.

Citric acid- I can order it off amazon, but can you find it locally in Arlington area?

This may be too late but they sell it at "My Local Home Brew Store" in Falls Church (very close to Bangkok Golden. They sell it in power form only.

Still looking for small white turnips with greens attached.  Zora suggested Mom's, but I haven't seen them at the Merrifield Moms.

Also, okra.  American wild caught shrimp.  American crabmeat.  Planning on making gumbo.  Turnips NOT for gumbo.

turnips at the Falls Church farmer's market on Saturday, okra can sometimes be found at H-Mart in Annandale.  Gulf shrimp, frozen, on sale all over the place this week.  Haven't seen American crabmeat, but lobsters are plentiful and reasonably priced lately.

I found Gulf shrimp at Mediterrafish.  Unfortunately, head off.  I wanted head on to make shrimp broth.  Also, all they had was jumbo, which is actually not good for gumbo.  I had to cut them into bite size pieces, which was a waste of the premium price one pays for the jumbo. Where did you see Gulf shrimp?

I also used a pint of shucked oysters from Washington state at Great Wall, since I couldn't find American crab.  I didn't like it.  I also tried putting in clam juice to supplement the scanty shrimp broth I was able to make, and didn't like that either.  But, we live and learn.

Score! Small white turnips with beautiful greens at the Wakefield Farmer's Market. Three bunches for $5.  My Chinese step-mother cuts the greens off the turnips, then cuts the turnips into wedges, not dice.  She fries bacon, then cooks the turnips in the bacon fat, then throws in the washed greens, cut up, still wet, but no other water, turns down the heat, puts on a lid, cooks until done, then sprinkles crumbled bacon on top.  It is delicious.

Had leftover gumbo for supper last night.  Threw in some shredded chicken.  Decided that I liked the clam juice in it, after all.  Doubt many people put clam juice in their gumbo but it adds a nice touch.

• Like 1

For the past two weeks, Big Riggs Farms (something like that) has had them at the Crystal City farmers market.  They were selling typical raspberry container's worth for 12 bucks!

I'll check again today to see if they still have them.

• Like 1

Anyone know somewhere not too far from Arlington, Va where you can get starter "mother"for vinegar?  I want to make my own red wine vinegar.

I do it by buying a bottle of an unfiltered cider vinegar at WF or another natural foods market, and using up or carefully pouring off the vinegar from the top of the bottle and retaining the "unfiltered" portion at the bottom of the bottle, which contains mother. Then top off the bottle with red wine and leave it sit for about a month. Voila. Continue to top off the bottle with left over red wine indefinitely.

• Like 2

I do it by buying a bottle of an unfiltered cider vinegar at WF or another natural foods market, and using up or carefully pouring off the vinegar from the top of the bottle and retaining the "unfiltered" portion at the bottom of the bottle, which contains mother. Then top off the bottle with red wine and leave it sit for about a month. Voila. Continue to top off the bottle with left over red wine indefinitely.

Thank you!!  I had amazing red wine vinegar in Croatia, and decided I needed to make my own, this sounds even simpler than the Bon Appetit method!

How much does the quality of the wine affect the quality of the vinegar produced? What type of wine do you prefer? (Please keep in mind that i know almost zippo about wine.)

farmer John, the better the wine, the better the wine vinegar, within reason. Gabriele Rausse, vintner at Monticello, occasionally teaches vinegar making at their annual Heritage Harvest Festival, and shared the most amazing wine vinegar made from Sangiovese wine. If it's tasty, and drinkable, it makes great vinegar. I am partial to wine vinegar made from fruit forward, intense tannic reds.

I think he said he smuggled his mother of vinegar from Italy, but maybe he was joking.

I do intend to buy a small sideways oak barrel one day, as that's better than glass for making vinegar. Pour the wine in the bunghole on top, decant the vinegar via a spout on the side. But the glass method works. I keep the bottle in a dark cabinet and put a paper towel secured with a rubber band on top to keep out fruit flies.

Sandor Katz recommends using 25% raw, live vinegar (e.g. Bragg's apple cider vinegar) to a batch and sealing with wax when done (2-4 weeks) because the acetobacter will eventually turn it into water and carbon dioxide. The less formal method used by Zora and me has led, in my observation, to relatively random results, but usually satisfying.

One vendor had dill at the Crystal City farmers market this week and it did have the yellow seed heads attached. I bought the one and only bunch he had for sale. I thought that was very strange.

As for "Kirby cukes"......I remember reading a cookbook in the very early spring and they were going on and on about Kirbys, so I consulted all my seed catalogs and favorite companies and couldn't find anyone selling Kirby cucumbers. Then I found this note online:

Kirby Cucumbers is now a generic term for any small cucumber sold for pickling

Again at the Crystal City farmers market, they had some small cukes, but not a huge amount, and they weren't specifically pickling cukes. The best ones they had for pickling were the white ones which are a little shorter and stockier than the regular kind.

Pickling cucumbers, including Kirby, have a thinner skin and a smaller seed, so they make crisper pickles than slicing tomatoes.  They have a distinctive look, short, narrow in diameter, and typically a spiny skin rather than warty.  I know I've seen baskets of them at the end of the season going dirt cheap, but I am in the mood to pickle some now.

Similarly, dill heads are something you are more likely to see in later summer.

Rennet. I tried to make homemade cultured cottage cheese. You mix milk, buttermilk and rennet and leave on the counter for 12-16 hours. Nothing happened. Turns out rennet has a shelf life. 24 months for tablets, 9 months for liquids. Mine is so old it doesn't have a date stamp. Perhaps decades.

Btw, after letting it culture there are many other steps. Complicated but there are videos on YouTube. A lot of work but I am craving that cultured flavor but using full fat milk, not skim.

Edit: found it at Moms in Merrifield.

• Like 1

I prefer the flavor of dill weed, not seed. I've been pinching my dill plants so they won't flower. No cucumbers of any kind yet, in the farmers markets here in Maine.

Zora - This is the first year I'm growing dill and I don't really know what I'm doing. If you keep pinching the tops, will you be able to keep harvesting the fronds(?) for the entire season (like basil) or do you need to do succession plantings?

I have a second and third crop started, but if I can get away with a single planting for the full season, I'd rather do that.

I used to order Carolina Gold Rice from Amazon, but can no longer find it on there, anyone know where I can get it without paying about $10 in shipping fees? (Well you can get it parboiled on there which isn't what I want, and I could pay $10 for shipping from Carolina Plantation.)

I used to order Carolina Gold Rice from Amazon, but can no longer find it on there, anyone know where I can get it without paying about $10 in shipping fees? (Well you can get it parboiled on there which isn't what I want, and I could pay $10 for shipping from Carolina Plantation.)

I usually get it from Anson Mills, but there is a minimum order and I buy it in combination with other things.  I can't remember what their shipping charge is, but I stock up when I order, so it doesn't bother me.  Their Carolina Gold rice is quite good.

What Pat said. Carolina Gold kicks Charleston Gold booty. Other exquisite Anson Mills items, Sea Island beans, oats, polenta, grits. I luurve Anson Mills products and their online recipes. It's that time of year (getting cooler) to order some lovely Anson Mills carbs. I gotta limit carbs, so when I do carb, Anson Mills it is.

(Well, let's don't talk about my Dominoes gluten free pizza habit. I can stop whenever I want to, honest.)

I usually get it from Anson Mills, but there is a minimum order and I buy it in combination with other things.  I can't remember what their shipping charge is, but I stock up when I order, so it doesn't bother me.  Their Carolina Gold rice is quite good.

It's $11.28 for a few different items rice, flour, peas, etc.  I think I will wait till I am getting low on some things then maybe put in a big order.  I also saw just FYI that Foods of all Nation has Charleston Gold, so if worst comes to worst and I have been really lazy, I will get some the next time I see my in-laws.  Have either of you tried the Laurel-Aged Gold Rice?

Any thoughts about where I might find a fresh turkey in NoVa in October?  We have a new smoker and plan on smoking the Thanksgiving turkey this year, but want to do a trial run in advance.  My understanding is that thawed frozen poultry is not great on the smoker and we need an unbrined bird.   

Any thoughts about where I might find a fresh turkey in NoVa in October?  We have a new smoker and plan on smoking the Thanksgiving turkey this year, but want to do a trial run in advance.  My understanding is that thawed frozen poultry is not great on the smoker and we need an unbrined bird.

I've smoked some pretty fine ex-frozen turkeys and breasts. I'm curious what your concern is? Is the skin better?