brgr:shack, N. Fairfax Drive and N. Stafford Street near Ballston Metro - Closed

I have been to brgr:shack three times, I want to like this place. It's close to where I live/work, I like the decor, I like the garage door that provides open air seating, I like the miniature fryer baskets they serve their fries in, but sadly, the burgers are simply not good. I think they are trying to differentiate themselves from the other burger options in Arlington with grass fed beef. Unfortunately, the burgers lack flavor, I don't think they have enough fat in their ground beef. I think Elevation Burger, Big Buns and Rustico all offer better burgers.

I was disappointed with my first burger because I was used to the char from yummy BGR burgers. But subsequent times, I've come to like it. It is a bit bland, but I feel it sits in my stomach better and seems healthier for me (even though it may not be). I get blue cheese instead of cheddar and that helps cover up the blandness. The other big plus is that they sell Mexican (real sugar) coke.

I agree with hopsing. We just tried brgr:shack this last weekend. The burgers aren't as charred as BGR and there isn't alot going on in the patty other than the grassfed beef - but grass fed in itself I find has a more "meaty" taste... these burgers remind me of a homemade sirloin cast iron skillet type burger (both in terms of composition and flavor)... which is one of my favorites - it's nice to have this type of option out there - and it does seem healthier than say a Five Guys where there's a lot more grease, which makes brgr:shack more of a frequent stop versus a "I'm gonna treat myself" type of burger. My husband got the burger with the gruyere, mushrooms and caramelized onion on a nice whole wheat bun. I went more traditional for our initial "test" and just did their standard "house" burger with american cheese, pickles, lettuce, tomato and onion - but did add caramelized onions as well. We liked both of ours and we'll definitely reorder. I will say that these burgers did not seem "6 oz" as their menu states - at least the ones they were turning out Sunday afternoon appeared much thicker and larger... a nice surprise. Also - they were actually cooked as ordered - which gives brgr:shack an extra point. I'm often reminded of a joke my husband's grandfather used to make "I'm going to ask everyone how they want their meat cooked, and then I'll cook them all the same." :)

I'd like to add that oddly enough, our orders were take out and we got one order of regular fries and one order of sweet potato fries... the regular fries were limp once we got home but the sweet potato still crispy? Sweet potato fries are usually the limpy culprits. Maybe they are double frying the sweet potato to remedy this, in which case, perhaps they should consider doing the same for the regular ones. :)

One quibble I do have with brgr:shack is their website is still Under Construction... how long have they been open? Please at least put up a menu. :)

it does seem healthier than say a Five Guys where there's a lot more grease, which makes brgr:shack more of a frequent stop versus a "I'm gonna treat myself" type of burger.

I do agree that it does not sit heavy in your stomach like Five Guys. Maybe if they advertised how much healthier their burgers were I would like them more. If their burger has 400 calories and 5 guys burger has a 1,000 calories that is a big difference (just made those numbers up, btw)

I do agree that it does not sit heavy in your stomach like Five Guys. Maybe if they advertised how much healthier their burgers were I would like them more. If their burger has 400 calories and 5 guys burger has a 1,000 calories that is a big difference (just made those numbers up, btw)

Here is 5guys nutritional values, not as bad as I thought they would be:

http://net.fiveguys.com/files/files/NutritionalInfo_Oct2008.pdf

Went here the other night, they actually have a fantastic turkey burger. I got mine with bbq sauce, mushrooms, lettuce and tomato. And a side of fries. The burger was nice and moist with lots of flavor. BBQ sauce was not overwhelming. They had a great selection of toppings. And I liked the fries, crispy, seemed fresh. And you can get everything on a salad like at Big Buns in the bowl. I was really very happy with it.