Old Hickory Grille, Loehmann's Plaza in Falls Church - Different Ownership than the Original in Burtonsville - Closed

This [burtonsville] is the original location of the Old Hickory Grille (I understand that there are several more now, but I've not been to any of them) and has been here for years.

I've eaten at the Falls Church Location, It's right next to my house. I wasn't very impressed, good chocolate shake, nice drop biscuits, foul "smoked" ribs special. All I could eat St. Louis style ribs, that were tough and lacked any good smokey flavor, but DID have the distinct flavor of burnt wood, like when you first tried to smoke something in college and thought wood from the yard would work...that flavor....so all I could eat was three ribs, I hoped the second batch would be better but no such luck. I have however had an excellent brisket and pastrami sandwich with coleslaw and fries at the Celeberty Delly next door, now that I would definately return for as well as the Pho at Pho 75 across the street.

I have been to the Falls Church location twice. Once a few years back and once a few months ago. The first time I was there they were busy and the food was very fresh and the service was good. The last time I was there during a slow period (2pm on a Saturday) and there wasn't anyone in the place. The service was very slow and the food was not so fresh. I think this may be the kind of place to go to when it is a lot busier.

I had lunch at the Virginia Old Hickory Grille today, and from everything I can see (including the fact that the Burtonsville website and the Falls Church website are different), these two are no longer under the same ownership (and will thus be split into different threads).

That having been said, the menus are still fairly similar. I've been to the original location in Burtonsville many times in the past, and what I had today reminded me of it, both in terms of ingredients and (attempted) execution: a lunch special of Meat Loaf ($7.50), lattice-grilled with garlic mashed potatoes and onion rings, and a Chicken Salad Sandwich ($8) with bacon strip and french fries. Everything was decent, although the onion rings were like 99% of all onion rings: greasy, and somehow having the ability to defy physics and cool to room temperature in less than sixty seconds. A quick walk around the dining room tells me that if you come here, you should order items that are deeply cooked (chicken, ribs, etc.) - they all looked pretty good.

Cheers,

Rocks

I had lunch at the Virginia Old Hickory Grille today, and from everything I can see (including the fact that the Burtonsville website and the Falls Church website are different), these two are no longer under the same ownership (and will thus be split into different threads).

That having been said, the menus are still fairly similar. I've been to the original location in Burtonsville many times in the past, and what I had today reminded me of it, both in terms of ingredients and (attempted) execution: a lunch special of Meat Loaf ($7.50), lattice-grilled with garlic mashed potatoes and onion rings, and a Chicken Salad Sandwich ($8) with bacon strip and french fries. Everything was decent, although the onion rings were like 99% of all onion rings: greasy, and somehow having the ability to defy physics and cool to room temperature in less than sixty seconds. A quick walk around the dining room tells me that if you come here, you should order items that are deeply cooked (chicken, ribs, etc.) - they all looked pretty good.

Cheers,

Rocks

Thanks to this post, I realized that I never updated this Falls Church Old Hickory Grille thread - it has been closed for awhile now, but the original (in Burtonsville, not too far from Gifford's) is still open.

Sadly, I know for a fact that I was at the Burtonsville location on December 30, 1994 - I was coming back from working out with my tennis coach, placed a carryout order, went out to the pay phone to call my parents to see if they wanted a sandwich, only to hear my mom say, "Well, Donald, did you hear the bad news?" I canceled my order and rushed over there. :(