Rogue 24, Blagden Alley in Mount Vernon Square - 2007 James Beard Winner RJ Cooper Departs on Dec 31, 2015 - Closed Jan 15, 2016

I actually followed through on a plan for once and did the 10-course meal the other night. We were entertained for almost two and a half hours, so we got our money's worth.

The service was terrific. While I'm sure we weren't the most obnoxious party ever to dine there, we probably weren't the least, either. RJ and staff were gracious hosts. Thank you again for extending the "Rockhead discount."

Some reviews on other sites talked about ingredients/courses that didn't work together. Not so with our meal. Each one was a hit. (Although if there was an intended, observable progression of flavors, that aspect was probably lost on us). And, despite there being only 10-ish dishes, I think the pacing kept us from feeling hungry afterward. Plus, even if the jaunt is an abbreviated version of the journey, the dessert portion didn't feel like it.

If I had to pick a favorite course, it was probably the corn "elote." At least I think that's what it was, based on the descriptions posted above. I've attached a picture. The tomato ice/basil crème was an unexpected crowd-pleaser, too. And the cocktails were all well-received.

Other aspects also impressed me. For example, with a small number of tables and the long duration of each meal, there aren't many people coming and going. That makes it feel more like a theatrical experience, rather than an average night out at a restaurant.

Lastly, I'm curious about something: The front lounging area is really cozy, but does it get a lot of use? Can one have drinks and snacks out there?

post-66-0-44055700-1438355958_thumb.jpg

This Just in from the R24 Team!!!

All menu option prices include tax & service charges.
Starting August 17th!

10 Course Jaunt Menu with 4 pairing beverages for $100 per person
($75 per person without pairing beverages)

24 Course Journey Menu with 7 pairing beverages for $185 per person 
($140 per person without pairing beverages)

SpiritsBar 3 Course Pre Fix Menu with 3 pairing beverages for $60 per person 
($45 per person without pairing beverages)
AVAILABLE AT THE BAR ONLY - RESERVATIONS REQUIRED

Tired of the usual dining in DC. Kids are back in school. Summer is almost over and Rogue 24 starts its 5th season.

Food + Beverages + Taxes + Tip =  ROGUE24 SEASON 5

All inclusive pricing "” one set price for your dining experience

10 Course Menu - $100 per person

24 Course Menu - $185 per person

SpiritsBar 3 Course Menu (bar only) - $60 per person

Cocktails from the SpiritsBar Menu-$9.22 crafted by our new "Craft-Tender" Jason

Journey Menu

vichyssoise/scallion bubbles

mochi/sake-malt vinegar/togarashi

sardine/kelp aioli

kimchee puff/salmon roe

compressed watermelon/pickled rind/american ossetra caviar

grilled strawberries/parsnip milk/blue crab/black garlic

cucumber/avocado/smoked tomato ice/crème fraiche/coriander

cured fluke/citrus dashi/radish/sea grass

little tomatoes/grilled zucchini-wheat grass puree/marigolds

smoked river trout/watercress/roe/puffs

pickled mackerel/charred cabbage/dill-parsley juice/potato-verbena air

foie gras/grilled peach/pickled green peach/mints

poularde liver/leg/preserved truffle/porcini powder

musk melon/bottarga/mustard flowers/ham consommé

princess melon/crispy pork/salted shisho

lamb kibbeh/rootbeer leaf/whipped white garlic

"elote"

warm beef stock custard/shigoku oyster/nasturtiums

blue potato cooked in its earth/variations of spinach/oxtail juice

walnuts/celery root-blue cheese/honey crisp/honey suckle

passion fruit/mango/black sesame

strawberry/balsamic/pink peppercorn

chocolate/rosemary/ blood orange/sage

happy endings/little things/small bites

Jason's Bio:

From an early age Jason Swaringen realized he was meant to create and inspire.  Born into a military family he spent his early life traveling between the United States and South East Asia.  Jason's life of travel constantly immersed him in the world of the service industry enforcing a passion for being able to provide a memorable experience, a loved journey, and a connection with what you drink and eat.

After returning to the DMV in 2005 Jason immediately began working in the hospitality industry, working his way up from host to bartender in both casual and fine dining atmospheres.  This upcoming craft bartender is self-taught, never having had a mentor he has relied solely on his personal and professional experiences, continuous research and his passion for the craft.  Having worked in some of the finest restaurants and hotels in the DMV including The Hamilton, Fiola Mare and Quill at The Jefferson; Jason often found himself looking towards the kitchen for inspiration.  After eight years of bartending it seemed only natural to work alongside chef RJ Cooper and cheftender Bryan Tetorakis at both Gypsy Soul and Rogue 24.

Jason's approach to bartending is about the all-encompassing experience. He is driven by providing the best experience for the guest, sharing his diverse approach to bartending, pulling from his own cultural exposure while still being classically inspired.  The dichotomy of tradition and innovation is how Jason challenges the DMV bar culture and invites guests to reach beyond their own boundaries.

• Like 2

Fall menus starting 10/02/2015

journey

mochi/cricket paste/sake-malt vinegar/togarashi

salmon roe/gin jelly/cucumber/yuzu/rosewaterhibiscus/onion flowers

sardine/kelp aioli

pumpkin/fermented barley butter/roasted hops

pig tails/white bean crisp/red wine apple butter/green apple skin powder

cured-dried scallop/cauliflower/botarga/crystal lettuce

bull's blood beet/avocado-horseradish gelato/crab roe emulsion/soy nuts/leaves

pickled horse mackerel/dill-parsley juice/cabbage/verbena air

venison tartare/cured hen egg/chokeberry/caramelized onion/spruce sponge

smoked trout/watercress/roe/puffs

artichoke veloute/black malt sponge/meyer lemon/parmesan pudding

brussels sprout leaves/flagrano beans/lobster broth/lobster roe

foie gras/asian pear/szechuan pepper/vanilla/raw macadamia nut

leek/veal brain/apples/leek veloute

snails/juniper wood/rose salt/rosemary

squab/smoked yogurt/fermented salsify/tamarind/bitter melon

beef broth custard/cured beef heart/shiitake mushroom juice/nasturtium

marble potatoes/porcini pudding/spinach/veal fibers/oxtail juice

bavette/bok choy/smoked potato/tendon-marrow crumble/bordelaise

blue cheese/salt roasted celery root/honey/walnut

strawberry/balsamic/pink peppercorn

jaunt

mochi/cricket paste/sake-malt vinegar/togarashi

sardine/kelp aioli

cured-dried scallop/cauliflower/botarga/crystal lettuce

bull's blood beet/avocado-horseradish gelato/crab roe emulsion/soy nuts/leaves

pickled horse mackerel/dill-parsley juice/cabbage/verbena air

artichoke veloute/black malt sponge/meyer lemon/parmesan pudding

brussels sprout leaves/flagrano beans/lobster broth/lobster roe

snails/juniper wood/rose salt/rosemary

beef broth custard/cured beef heart/shiitake mushroom juice/nasturtium

marble potatoes/porcini pudding/spinach/veal fibers/oxtail juice

bavette/bok choy/smoked parsley root/tendon-marrow crumble/bordelaise

blue cheese/salt roasted celery root/honey/walnut

ROGUE 24 offers 2 multi-course tasting menus nightly that are dictated by what is the best quality products from the markets. Our team, under the creative vision of James Beard Award Winner Chef/Owner RJ Cooper, works tirelessly daily to craft a menu for our guests enjoyment. 

Journey Menu~ $135.00 per person
Jaunt Menu~ $85.00 per person

Beverage pairings curated by Certified Sommelier Ralph Villar.
premium pairing of 12 beverages~$125.00 per person
rogue pairing of 7 beverages~$70.0 per person
celebration of bubbles~$80.00 per person

SpiritsBar is a 4 seat interactive craft cocktail showcase, led by "CraftTender" Jason Swaringen.
The 4x4~4 drinks & 4 bites $44.00 per person
3 course prefix dinner menu $45.00 per person

SpiritBar reservations are only available by email at gorogue@rogue24.com or by phone 202.408.9724.

• Like 2

It amazes me daily that a restaurant of this caliber and talent that we may see 1 or two Rock heads here every 6 months.  At the SpiritsBar we have a 3 course menu for $45.00 guest a cocktail and bites tasting for $44.00 per guest and our cocktails are $9.22 a la carte.

I drink I am out the average cocktail is now $13.00.

Help us understand?

First of the season Alba white truffles landed at R24 yesterday really fragrant. What do we do a risotto with heirloom tomato-uni butter! At the bar for only $50.00 for 4 grams of truffle.

Help us understand?

OK, for what it's worth, speaking strictly for myself and my husband.

Mr. P and I don't like to spend more than about an hour and a half at table, perhaps two hours if we're with friends.

We have both been on the weight loss/gain roller coaster for decades now.  We keep it under control by eating less food.  This usually means an appetizer followed by another appetizer (or half portion of pasta) for our main course.  A tasting menu meal is a caloric extravagance, even if the portions are small.

We've found that we both experience palate fatigue and fail to appreciate the food after four or five courses.

I have several food allergies, one of which is bizarre, and I can't eat grapefruit (medication interaction), and I can only eat onion/garlic/leek/shallot/scallion in tiny quantities if I take medicine.  As a chef I'm sure you know how pervasive alliums are in just about every cuisine.  In a restaurant where I can pick and choose, it's easy enough to work around.  With a tasting menu, it's not.  I know at this point you're going to jump in with a generous offer of making something just for me, but try to understand: from my perspective it gets old and a little embarrassing having to explain this, especially since it's not so clear cut.  Yes, I can eat onion - a little bit - and I've gotten good at gauging how much, but it isn't quantifiable, so how do I explain it to a server?

Mr P is a bit of a squeamish eater, though he's gotten much better over the years.  Still, the list of things he won't eat is long enough.  Neither of us care for organ meats, though we'll eat foie gras if it's part of something we're served.

I have a weird sense of smell that leads to a number of food aversions.  Some foods - mustard is the best example - smell so horrible to me that more than a tiny amount makes me feel ill.  As in, nauseated.  Yum.  So in addition to the already long and weird list of what I don't eat, I have to add several very common foods.  Again, I really don't want to be explaining all this to a server, but I can read between the lines of a menu pretty well.

Mr P doesn't drink.  I'd love to drink - boy would I love to be able to have a cocktail again! - but one glass of wine or a beer nursed through a meal, about once every two weeks, is all I can stand without having a severe reaction.

So, although I consider myself a foodie, any "you'll eat what we serve you" meal is a real gamble.  I'm not a gambler.

We ate at Rogue 24 once, a few years back when you offered (I think) 4 courses for Restaurant Week.  It wasn't about the money - it never is - but we jumped at the chance to enjoy your cooking again on a reasonable scale, and had a lovely time.

I see from your website that you're offering three and five course menus now.  That's great!  Of course, what's posted is from February.  I understand how difficult it must be to keep a website current given how your operation runs (you'd be editing daily if not more often), but if I had some notion of what you're currently up to I just might make a reservation and take a gamble.

Komi was for several years my favorite restaurant, but I haven't been since they went to the degustation menu.  Last night we ate at Little Serow for the first time.  It wasn't about the line, it was about finding a menu that Mr P and I both could handle.  As it was, I had to really pick around (shitloads of onion and garlic in almost everything), keep taking medicine, and one dish I couldn't eat at all.  I won't go back any time soon.  It was fantastic, don't get me wrong, just really difficult for me to navigate.

Oh, another thing: my list of new restaurants to try is so long that places are closing before I get to them.  In other words, despite the fact that Rogue 24 is in a category of its own, you have a lot of competition.

That's probably more of an answer than you wanted, and it's more than I wanted to share, so I hope you find it helpful.

• Like 2

Help us understand?

I've eaten here two times and never mentioned DR.com.  It would weird and awkward for me to do that.  I wouldn't even know how!   Mention it to the server?  Wave you over and say it?  Surely others from here have come in and just had a meal without name dropping.

• Like 3

Help us understand?

I've eaten here two times and never mentioned DR.com.  It would weird and awkward for me to do that.  I wouldn't even know how!   Mention it to the server?  Wave you over and say it?  Surely others from here have come in and just had a meal without name dropping.

I was at Rogue 24 three weeks ago, didn't name drop, and to the best of my knowledge, they didn't know I was there (until possibly after I paid and left), and that's the God's truth.

I had a friend in town, and wanted her to have one extraordinary meal before leaving (it was between Fiola Mare and Rogue 24, but it had been longer since I'd been to Rogue 24). We strolled in, and it was completely booked. Could I have asked for RJ and gotten seated? Probably. Could I have said I was Don Rockwell and gotten seated? Possibly. But I didn't; we took a seat in the front lounge and ordered from the lounge menu. (I didn't actually see you in there, but we were off to the side, and we preferred to remain anonymous anyway.)

We got the "Bar Snacks for 2" ($25), and while the service and the drinks did nothing to lower your Bold rating - incidentally, this was the first time I've ever even seen the bar menu - this $25 course was a board of six beautifully arranged, albeit tiny, amuse-bouches, 1 or 2 bites each (the mochi, in particular, we barely even got a taste of because it was so small). Our bill for four drinks (two non-alcoholic) and the bar snacks was in the $60s. We then left and had dinner at Baby Wale - we had a full meal with wine for about the same price, and enjoyed it very much too. There is also no doubt in my mind that Rogue 24 is a vastly superior place to dine.

RJ, if you want me to help you understand ... this is a special occasion restaurant for me. It's why I don't go to Fiola or Fiola Mare more. It's why I haven't been to Inn at Little Washington in years - I pay my own way, and have to watch every penny ... just like a regular old person. I acknowledge that you've done a *lot* to make Rogue 24 more accessible, but based on what I saw the other night, it could be because you've reduced portion size.

Incidentally, we left happy as clams, and my guest was *raving* about the restaurant. We had a wonderful time, and would absolutely come back - for a special occasion. Also, there was one imperfection: My first drink (gin-based) didn't quite live up to the chef-tender standards that you set - it simply had too much ice, and got diluted fairly quickly; my second drink was a straight Gimlet, and was less expensive (from what I recall) and better. This was the only culinary flaw in an otherwise-perfect evening. There's a technical issue that I'll tell you about in private that has nothing to do with a report of dining there.

If I was doing a "Top 10" list, and I'm not going to insult peoples' intelligence by doing one, you can rest assured you'd be very high on the list. (This is *not* a knock on any individual - everybody does it, but coming from me at this time it would be disingenuous; I haven't ruled it out in the future, but it would have to be under the right circumstances.) One thing that worried me a little bit is that your staff appeared to be thinner than it has been in the past, and I hope it's not because you're trying to save wage expense, but it would make sense if that was the case (I should add that this was simply gleaned by peering in from the lounge, so I really don't know).

All people need to do is look at my Dining Guide, investigate the restaurants marked in Bold, and you can figure this all out for yourselves. You don't need me to number things for you. Assigning rankings and numbers to restaurants is false, self-serving, insulting to the readers, and damaging to the restaurants. It's not based in any type of reality, and is best left for scam-artists and click-baiting publications with no self-respect. Yes, people *do* click on that stuff, and it *does* generate buzz - and I absolutely will not prey on that "curiosity-killed-the-cat" human frailty for personal gain. My Italic and Bold ratings are designed for people in a hurry, and are not designed to be definitive - they change around several times per week. The rankings within each geographical location are also for people too busy to read detailed reviews, and are a best guess at what the current situation is. Since it's all done by one individual, they have much more credence than any other ranking system could possibly have. And no, I haven't been to all the restaurants; the vast majority, yes. for the others, I do the best I can based on other peoples' reviews and what I hear from trusted friends, and even then there are going to be mistakes. It's also the best, most accurate, and by far the most comprehensive single-city dining guide ever written in the history of the world, with the possible exception of the Michelin red guide for Paris.

• Like 4

It amazes me daily that a restaurant of this caliber and talent that we may see 1 or two Rock heads here every 6 months.  At the SpiritsBar we have a 3 course menu for $45.00 guest a cocktail and bites tasting for $44.00 per guest and our cocktails are $9.22 a la carte.

I drink I am out the average cocktail is now $13.00.

Help us understand?

First of the season Alba white truffles landed at R24 yesterday really fragrant. What do we do a risotto with heirloom tomato-uni butter! At the bar for only $50.00 for 4 grams of truffle.

A little delayed in my response, but I wanted to give this some thought before responding. I've been twice, once for the full 24 course menu and once for the 4x4 at the bar before Bryan left. The first time you weren't in the kitchen, the second time I don't recall if you were or not. I don't generally flag down chefs from this board when I eat in their restaurants. There are some who I "know" now, and who typically recognize me because I met them at DR events in their restaurant or introduced myself in other settings like Zoofari, but for the most part I would feel awkward. I sort of vaguely feel like maybe we did tell Bryan we were DR people at the bar, but I can't remember if we just brought it up in conversation or specifically because you were offering a discount at that time. Either way, I wouldn't have then gone further to ask him to flag you down so I could introduce myself - it just feels awkward to me. If you specifically wanted us to and made that request here, then I would. Probably. :P

Outside of that, why I don't get there more frequently - time and money for eating out are very limited so I honestly don't go to many restaurants multiple times even when I love them. The 2 factors that increase the likelihood that I will are value and location (not much you can do about the latter unless you're considering opening a sister restaurant in good old Laurel, which I would welcome ;) ). As much as I loved (LOVED) the 24 course meal, at that price point it's not something I can do often. But this has made me realize I made some assumptions about the 10 course meal that may not be accurate and wasn't even aware of the 3 course bar option until recently so maybe I have been depriving myself.

When you post, you often detail the 24 courses. Could you go into a little more detail about the other options? I always assumed that the 10 course was similar to the 24 course, just less courses ie. portion sizes would be the same. Is this the case or are the portions sizes larger? Are they completely different dishes from the 24 course? Same questions for the 3 course at the bar, and with the latter, are there choices or set dishes?

Based on your answers I may realize I should have planned another trip much sooner. And having decided that, it will take me another 6-10 months to actually make that happen. :)

• Like 1

I have been once, but I didn't mention I was with Rockwell.  Don't think you were there chef.  I have been meaning to get back, but honestly, we have been traveling and working like crazy and mostly eating out on weeknights right by our home.  Hope to get back soon, but my calendar right now is horrific.  Need to get back into Sunday night date nights with my Hubby.  

This is a more general comment so Don, please move it, but I've gone to a number of restaurants (including Rogue 24) where the chef and/or owner and/or other staff member is a member of this board, and I've had the opportunity to interact with them (I've seen he/she in the restaurant, he/she has served me, etc), and I never identify myself as a member of this board.  The reason is that I don't want to be perceived as seeking special attention.

• Like 8

This is a more general comment so Don, please move it, but I've gone to a number of restaurants (including Rogue 24) where the chef and/or owner and/or other staff member is a member of this board, and I've had the opportunity to interact with them, and I never identify myself as a member of this board.  The reason is that I don't want to be perceived as seeking special attention.

This is exactly what I ask everyone to do, but I don't have jurisdiction over people's private lives. cheezepowder, if the entire world was like you, it would be a better place.

That said, it *is* possible not to accept special favors, and in a perfect world (which it isn't), people could freely talk with chefs, and acknowledge the gesture while politely declining - personally, I was at Rogue 24 several weeks ago, and nobody knew I was there. Afterwards, I was at Baby Wale, and Tom Power was cooking - I walked right by him on the way to the restroom, and I have no idea whether he saw me or not. Even if he had, we would have simply said hello, shaken hands, and nothing special would have happened.

Back in 2005, I asked people not to use this website as a weapon, or as a vehicle for personal gain, and nothing has changed in that regard. Yet, there are restaurant regulars (I'm thinking of Daniel at Grapeseed) who in no way violate any ethics, while at the same time being friendly with, and loyal to, Chef Jeff - good for them, I say, and Daniel spends enough money there where he probably deserves some special recognition; but as a regular customer; not as a member of this community. And if a chef comes on here and makes an offer to *everyone* (which Jeff often does), I see nothing wrong with people accepting it.

I'm babbling and rambling because I'm halfway through an episode of Narcos. :)

You know, I guess the bottom line is - as long as *I* don't profit from anything, and as long as people don't use this website as a threat or a covert vehicle for personal gain, it's all good. Our members are great, and we're all one community as far as I'm concerned - diners and chefs alike. I'm not sure what else to say, but I'll be happy to answer any questions - about me, or about things in general.

• Like 2

I've been once, and plan to go back again, but have a number of other restaurants for a first visit.  Rogue 24 is in the once a quarter part of the budget so takes a while to go thru the places on our list to get a second visit.  I didn't mention I was on the DR board when I was there as it would never occured to me to do so unless it was 'saw this mentioned on DR' when asked how found out about a restaurant.  I likely will mention when make reservations next time since it would get me a discount

I went once years ago, long before I was a DR member, maybe in October 2011. I really enjoyed myself. I don't remember many details, but I think I did the maximum number of courses with wine/spirits pairings. I remember being happily toasted when I left (and stuffed!). :-) I also remember that Chef Cooper came and spoke to my friend and I at our table, possibly multiple times over the course of the night -- we both thought that was really cool.

I'd love to go back, but life is more complicated and expensive now with a non-foodie husband (the horror!), a baby and her daycare costs, etc. I could probably recruit my friend from my last visit to join me again, but I'm not sure when that will be.

I would never mention my participation on this board. Ever (even though I have a DR Dining Card!).

That being said, I have eaten your food numerous times and consider you to be one of the most talented chefs in the city. I am just over tasting menus. At virtually any level, I am done with them. Too long. Too expensive. Too kitchen centric, rather than guest centric.The only tasting menu I would even consider is EMP or Per Se, because when I read the description of the food I know, essentially, what I'll be getting. I could not say the same for Alinea or Noma -not that I am going to any of these restaurants, any time soon.

I read your most recent menu posted above, and I have no doubt that the dishes will be prepared impeccably, with precision and skill. I just dont know if I am in the mood to eat any of them, because they all seem deliberately opaque and mysterious. And I absolutely don't want that course after course, for 2-3 hours.

I am sharing this with you because you asked, and I am truly respectful and appreciative of your talents and what you have done to raise the bar in this city. And if I may, I thought Gypsy Soul was magic and am sorry for your loss. More of that would appeal to me. But I am just one patron.

• Like 4

Sounds like Cooper is heading to Charlotte. 

He is. I know RJ won't be happy with this, but I've already downgraded Rogue 24 from Bold to Italic out of conservatism, and moved it back behind Corduroy. I suppose I could wait to do this, but it's inevitable - I've known I was going to have to do this for awhile, and I've known he won't like it, but it won't be the same without him there. Out of respect, I'm keeping it above The Dabney for now - we'll see what the New Year brings.

I wonder if RJ's letter, which ends with, "I am forever in your debt," is something of a tongue-in-cheek middle finger.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who saw Rogue 24 for the great restaurant it was, but the odds are stacked against it going forward (the odds were stacked against it from day one - it was a very high-risk opening).

I don't know how I've managed to stay on good terms with both RJ and Hilda throughout this ordeal, but somehow I have, and I want to keep it that way - I have respect for both of them for what they do best, and I'm staying out of this.

• Like 1

Dang...wife and I are both trying to now make reservations for one last meal there, and OpenTable is initially showing availability, but when you click on a time it then gives you an error message saying OpenTable is having trouble communicating with the restaurant. Then when you try again it says no tables within a 2.5 hour window.

And they're closed today so I guess I'll try and call first thing tomorrow.

• Like 1

but the odds are stacked against it going forward (the odds were stacked against it from day one - it was a very high-risk opening).

Why do you say that? Not about "going forward", I get that. Why were the odds against it from day one?

L

Why do you say that? Not about "going forward", I get that. Why were the odds against it from day one?

L

This was an extremely high-risk concept in the middle of a crushing depression (if I'm remembering correctly about when it opened) - a large, very expensive, tasting-menu-only restaurant opening in the middle of nowhere (which is now one of the hottest places in town, but it wasn't back then). There were two restaurants that opened right around then that I thought were *incredibly* high-risk openings for entirely different reasons, and I'll be darned if I can remember what the second one was - it might have been The Cereal Bowl.

• Like 1

This was an extremely high-risk concept in the middle of a crushing depression (if I'm remembering correctly about when it opened) - a large, very expensive, tasting-menu-only restaurant opening in the middle of nowhere (which is now one of the hottest places in town, but it wasn't back then). There were two restaurants that opened right around then that I thought were *incredibly* high-risk openings for entirely different reasons, and I'll be darned if I can remember what the second one was - it might have been The Cereal Bowl.

I couldn't convince my wife to go as the concept wasn't one she felt interested in experiencing.

Regardless, $300K in the scheme of restaurant business, doesn't seem like something that couldn't have been resolved if both parties had been so inclined.

Before I went to see Dead & Co. at the Verizon Center, I texted RJ (a known Deadhead) to see if he'd be there.  Nope, he said.  He was in Charlotte to see Grace Potter that night.  Yeah, to see Grace Potter.

that was a fantastic show (Dead & Co.). Joe Russo's Also Dead just announced a show at the 9:30 Club in February -- definitely check them out, they're the best Dead-type act going now.

Before I went to see Dead & Co. at the Verizon Center, I texted RJ (a known Deadhead) to see if he'd be there.  Nope, he said.  He was in Charlotte to see Grace Potter that night.  Yeah, to see Grace Potter.

I was there, I took in a show, i partied with a rockstar.  My last day of permanence will be New Years Eve!!!

BE READY FOR THE GREATEST JOURNEY ON EARTH THAT NIGHT!!!! TOTAL SENSORY OVERLOAD!!!

• Like 7

I was considering doing the NYE farewell party here because $125 per person didn't seem like that much for the end of an era type meal. Just to be sure, I figured I'd call and verify the price on the website was the actual price. I probably called 10 times yesterday afternoon and evening and never got anyone to pickup. My final call was after 10pm so I figured they wouldn't be slammed at that hour and still no one picked up.

I'm glad I didn't just go ahead and book it because I just got an email saying the early seating was $275 per person (including premium drinks) and the late seating was $375 per person with open bar.

Dang! It went from a good deal to prohibitively expensive and bordering on highway robbery. At least for me.

• Like 1

5:30. Here's the details from the email:

New Year's Eve

A Farewell to Chef Cooper

Choice of 2 Seatings

5:30pm -- Journey Menu with Premium Beverage Pairing

$275 per person (tax and service charge not included)

9:00pm -- Journey Menu with Beverage Pairing, Cocktails & Midnight Party with Open Bar

$375 per person (tax and service charge not included)

Credit card required to hold reservation. Cancellation fee will apply to all cancell

5:30. Here's the details from the email:

New Year's Eve

A Farewell to Chef Cooper

Choice of 2 Seatings

5:30pm -- Journey Menu with Premium Beverage Pairing

$275 per person (tax and service charge not included)

9:00pm -- Journey Menu with Beverage Pairing, Cocktails & Midnight Party with Open Bar

$375 per person (tax and service charge not included)

Credit card required to hold reservation. Cancellation fee will apply to all cancell

Thanks, they sent out a link on twitter, but it didn't work, and I couldn't find it on the website.

THIS IS IT!!! NYE!!! SEATINGS WE HAVE 12 SEATS LEFT FOR THE FIRST SEATING, 6 FOR THE SECOND.

cocktail snacks

mochi/sake/togarashi/cricket paste

lamb shiguku oyster/cucumber caviar/gin gel/miso butter/sake air

kibbeh/rootbeer leaf/yogurt

oats/pigtails/apple

snails/spinach puree/rose salt/rosemary

roes

american ossetra caviar/kelp chawanmushi/caper gelee/little brioche 

smoked salmon roe/cauliflower/botarga/crystal lettuce

catalina island sea urchin/ink sponge/ tomato jam

crustaceans

spiny lobster/olive oil-meyer lemon emulsion/watercress

bull's blood beet/avocado-horseradish gelato/crab roe dust

stone crab/braised in fermented mustard butter

vegetation & truffle

white onion/hen egg/puffed barley/date/perigord black truffle

brassicas/white beans/black truffle bouillon/dehydrated pork skin

potatoes/porcini mushroom/wild spinach/potato gelato/oxtail/alba truffle

water

tasmanian sea trout on the embers/shiraz infused crème fraiche

bluenose bass/parsley puree/syrah/sunchoke

land

squab/persimmon/gourd/fermented barley butter/quatre-epices

ox cheek/parsley root/black trumpet mushroom/ravigotte

miyazaki beef/maitake mushrooms/umami emulsion/daikon

transition

robiola/parsnip cream/almond brittle/white truffle honey

sweet

trippin at the cider mill

caramel/fig/porcini mushroom/honey

chocolate/peanut butter/coffee

happy endings

little things/small bites

chef rj cooper - cook with soul                                   

• Like 2

9 years their father has been absent and married to restaurants.

This is their Christmas present. A papa.

That's awesome. I loved working in restaurants and switched to a career in hotels after working pretty much the first year and a half of my 2 year old daughters life. No regrets.

You MAY lose a little bit in creativity, but you'll gain in stability and quality of life. Congratulations.

• Like 4

That's awesome. I loved working in restaurants and switched to a career in hotels after working pretty much the first year and a half of my 2 year old daughters life. No regrets.

You MAY lose a little bit in creativity, but you'll gain in stability and quality of life. Congratulations.

I have creative control, that is why they wanted me.

• Like 2

The meal I had at Rogue 24 with you cooking alongside John Currence (ahead of schedule of doctor's orders after your surgery) was one of the best meals I've ever had, and one of the few I always think back on when I think of my time in DC.  Thank you for the great food (and always underrated cocktails) chef, and best of luck to you.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2015 at 1:49 PM, ad.mich said:

The meal I had at Rogue 24 with you cooking alongside John Currence (ahead of schedule of doctor's orders after your surgery) was one of the best meals I've ever had, and one of the few I always think back on when I think of my time in DC.  Thank you for the great food (and always underrated cocktails) chef, and best of luck to you.

I hope a select few people will understand why I had Rogue 24 in Bold for so long - this restaurant has been incredibly underappreciated by Washingtonians. It's expensive as hell, but no more than some other places, and has provided me with some of the best dining experiences I've ever had in this city.

• Like 2