Charcuterie - Books & Purchasing

Tweaked

Judges included Regis Marcon (Le Clos de Cimes ***)

I had dinner solo at Marcon's restaurant, "Le Clos de Cîmes" (then, a Michelin two-star) in 2002. He had gotten up early that morning (5 AM) and gone mushroom hunting, and I had an incredible solo table to myself, and ordered the "mushroom tasting" (all of which were in the ground that morning) in the corner of the restaurant, facing out towards the center. It was the single greatest Michelin two-star meal I've ever had in my life. I'll find the menu and post it. I can't describe what it was like without the menu. It was promoted to Michelin 3 stars later that year, but when I went it was widely considered the best Michelin two-star restaurant in France. It was the greatest meal I've ever had that wasn't Michelin 3-star, and one the greatest meals I've ever had of any type.

Oh, Julien, you have to know this is no loss. There are other artists like you in the world, and you should all hang out with each other. This is like Cezanne losing to Manet. I love you for trying, brother.

Cheers, Julien,

Don

Julien, after reading this, I am humbled that you walked me through how to make an acceptable hamburger at home. Your work here is outstanding, and the level of detail that you judge your own work on dwarfs what I'd notice on my own. I have no business asking "could I make this at home" when I can't even replicate your own stress tests for the product. Buying your wares at Society Fair is a saavy no-brainer at this point, I look forward to saying hi again to you. A professional is an artist who fights thru his excuses, and you made a grand showing!!

Julien, after reading this, I am humbled that you walked me through how to make an acceptable hamburger at home. Your work here is outstanding, and the level of detail that you judge your own work on dwarfs what I'd notice on my own. I have no business asking "could I make this at home" when I can't even replicate your own stress tests for the product. Buying your wares at Society Fair is a saavy no-brainer at this point, I look forward to saying hi again to you. A professional is an artist who fights thru his excuses, and you made a grand showing!!

You will have to go to the new Range (although not sure they will be selling via market) as Julien is no longer at Society Fair.

I am. Along with duck galantine (winter truffle & confit gizzards), head cheese, garlic sausage with pistachios, pork rillettes, chicken liver mousse, potted foie gras, wild-game pâté, gravlax, my fresh ham, rindswurst and likely boudin blanc for NYE.

That rindswurst got a nice little nod from Sietsema in today's mini review of Range. I'm guessing the merguez-stuffed lamb breast he mentions might also be one of your creations (and it sounds REALLY good).

Congratulations to Jean-Franí§ois Malle, 2013 Champion of the World Páté Croí»te Competition and all the other finalists.  Truly exceptional craftsmanship, creativity, technique, discipline and still the high watermark of cookery.

Links:

Facepage

Le Kitchen Bloggen

A Taste of my Life

Jean-Franí§ois Malle's formidable herring-bone work.

champion-du-monde-de-pa%CC%82te%CC%81-cr

Well played sir.

champion-du-monde-du-pa%CC%82te%CC%81-cr

1383544_497011610406673_11763217_n.jpg

demi-final-paris-2013-2-600x359.jpg

1450734_497002590407575_1139432951_n.jpg

• Like 1