Fiola, Penn Quarter in the old Le Paradou Space - Now with Several Locations Worldwide

There was a mention in Todd Kliman's chat today about Fiola going tasting-menu only. I'd hoped it was a mistake, but their dinner menu now only shows 4 course (for $100) and 5 course (for $115) tasting menu options (plus a $35, three-course pre-theater option). When did this happen? I'm so disappointed. This has become my favorite restaurant in town. The food is outstanding and the service is both warm and professional. I've been there 9 or 10 times since it opened last year (though 3 of those times were jury-duty lunches at the bar), but I don't see me going there for dinner often in the future. (It's not just the cost -- though that's part of it. I also don't want to eat that much food.) Looking on the bright side, at least I can still go there for lunch or a bite at the bar (unlike, say Komi, which has become solely a special occasion place). It's funny how Fiola was initially billed as a (relatively) casual and affordable place. It was never either (except as compared to Maestro), but I thought it was well worth it; now, however, it seems to have swung even further away from what I thought was the chef's initial vision. Just to be clear: I'm not criticizing him for making this decision -- and I'm glad that the restaurant seems to be going strong. I'm just sad that I won't be able to enjoy dinner there very often anymore.

There was a mention in Todd Kliman's chat today about Fiola going tasting-menu only. I'd hoped it was a mistake, but their dinner menu now only shows 4 course (for $100) and 5 course (for $115) tasting menu options (plus a $35, three-course pre-theater option). When did this happen? I'm so disappointed. This has become my favorite restaurant in town. The food is outstanding and the service is both warm and professional. I've been there 9 or 10 times since it opened last year (though 3 of those times were jury-duty lunches at the bar), but I don't see me going there for dinner often in the future. (It's not just the cost -- though that's part of it. I also don't want to eat that much food.) Looking on the bright side, at least I can still go there for lunch or a bite at the bar (unlike, say Komi, which has become solely a special occasion place). It's funny how Fiola was initially billed as a (relatively) casual and affordable place. It was never either (except as compared to Maestro), but I thought it was well worth it; now, however, it seems to have swung even further away from what I thought was the chef's initial vision. Just to be clear: I'm not criticizing him for making this decision -- and I'm glad that the restaurant seems to be going strong. I'm just sad that I won't be able to enjoy dinner there very often anymore.

Rest assured, we're not going over to a strictly tasting menu only format. Apparently there was a glitch on our website today & that was the only option shown. We're still offering up everything a la carte, so you can come in and have as much or as little as possible. Oh, and I might be a bit biased, but the drinks aren't half bad either.

Feel free to contact me with any questions at jeff@fioladc.com.

Cheers!

Rest assured, we're not going over to a strictly tasting menu only format. Apparently there was a glitch on our website today & that was the only option shown. We're still offering up everything a la carte, so you can come in and have as much or as little as possible. Oh, and I might be a bit biased, but the drinks aren't half bad either.

Cheers!

Um, nevermind. Thanks for clearing that up! I'll go back to worrying about the election or something.

Cheers!

Thank you so much for clarifying! You may want to let Todd Kliman know too, since he implied that you had switched over on his chat today. Incorrect news travels fast... Looking forward to dining with you!

No longer annoyed. :)

Thank you so much for clarifying! You may want to let Todd Kliman know too, since he implied that you had switched over on his chat today. Incorrect news travels fast... Looking forward to dining with you!

No longer annoyed. :)

Absolutely! As much as people love the tasting menu, we know you still want to have options. We're not going to take that away. Swing by and say hi next time you're in!

All the best,

Jeff

My family comes from the mountains outside Genoa - west of Fabio's own Marche, but still very Northern Italian.

Off-the-bat good signs were that they had a cocktail called the Jolanda (my grandmother's name) and the Teresa (her dear, dear sister's name). The Jolanda (Maraschino Liqueur, Lemon Juice, Liqueur de Violettes, Prosecco) is my wife's new favorite drink. Shout out to Jeff Faile!

The food was not groundbreaking per se(i.e. nothing made me say, "I should try this!" - not like a burger on an English muffin), but it was what it was: perfectly executed, evolved, refined, and scrumptious rustic Northern Italian.

The pork belly served with black truffles, parmesan foam, and beans was delicious in its own right, but what really blew me away was the fact that the subtle brown tomato sauce that went with it was just about a dead ringer for my grandmother's own sauce - the one I've been eating every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter for the past 32 years. The fact that Maria Trabocchi is also a dead ringer for my grandmother - elegant, blond, tough-as-nails-no-shit-taking Italian (yes, I'm aware she's from Spain) - (but of course much, much, much younger) completed the illusion for me.

Wine pairings were spot-on and also extremely Italian.

I've strayed from my roots... preferring French and Mexican lately - but Fiola brought me back!

We dined here with friends last night to celebrate my husbands birthday. We drove up and found parking right out front. A good omen of things to come.

So before I go any further I should note that my husband and the other gentleman we dined with are notoriously picky about food and design. I suppose they can't help themselves, as they each have been in the business 20+ year,s but man, it can be annoying when you are the one accompanying them. That said, I am pleased to announce they were both delighted with their meals and beverages. In fact, my husband said the Coventry was the best cocktail he's had. Ever.

For starters, we ordered the Octopus dish, The Steak Tartare and the Burrata of Mozzerella. The Octopus was wonderful and tasted of the sea. The Mozzerella looked like a perfectly poached egg and was deliciously creamy. My favorite was the Steak Tartare and it was the best I've had. Wow.

For our entrees, we ordered a slew of pastas as well as the Veal Cheeks with Risotto. OMG. The veal cheeks were amazing. So tender and the sauce was out of this world. This might have been my favorite dish of the night, but honestly, I would have difficulty choosing just one. Our waiter told us the Chef commented that we must be having a pasta party. Yes, yes, indeed.

For pasta we sampled:

Lobster Ravioli It's everything previous posts have claimed it to be. Was surprised to learn it was also gluten free.

Spaghetti with Prawns, Crab and Sea Urchin This was the dish my husband was looking forward to the most and he was absolutely thrilled with it. As such, I barely manged to snag a taste, but the small sample I tried was divine.

Vincisgrassi with black truffles Beautiful dish with delicate layers. This was unlike any lasagna I've ever had.

Pappardelle with Scottish Wild Hare Ragu Ahhh the sauce for this dish was incredible. The hare had a delcious flavor and not at all gamey.

Lamb with Proscuitto I can't remember the name of this dish, but it was another top contender. It was similar in shape to the ravioli, little pockets of deliciously spiced ground lamb topped with proscuitto.

All in all a complete winner of a meal. Service was great, Attentive but never rushed us. Can't wait to go back :P

I know Fabio's food. I have been eating it for ten years. From London to Maestro to the Four Seasons and now to D. C. I believe I have eaten almost every dish he has made. Tonight I had his single best dish. It was also the single best dish I have had in any restaurant on earth in the past two, three, four + years: a proscuitto wrapped veal chop with hazelnuts, gremolata and am ossu buco sauce made with what must have been at least a 12 hour reduction. I believe his signature.

A note about the reaction to it: a couple sat down next to us. An animated conversation, they were totally into each other. At some point my veal chop was "presented." Their conversation stopped, their eyes were fixed on the twelve inch copper skillet and what was being spooned onto my plate. A minute or two passed and both stared at me, waiting for me to react to my first bite.

I think I closed my eyes and moaned (knowing I had an audience!).

Without a word one of them stood up and left the table...in search of the waiter to change their order. To a veal chop.

No one reading this should visit Fiola without ordering it. The lobster ravioli on my wife's side of the table paled next to it. And Fabio makes the best lobster ravioli I have ever had. Still, his veal chop. His signature.

Fiola is the Citronelle of 2012.

I know Fabio's food. I have been eating it for ten years. From London to Maestro to the Four Seasons and now to D. C. I believe I have eaten almost every dish he has made. Tonight I had his single best dish. It was also the single best dish I have had in any restaurant on earth in the past two, three, four + years: a proscuitto wrapped veal chop with hazelnuts, gremolata and am ossu buco sauce made with what must have been at least a 12 hour reduction. I believe his signature.

A note about the reaction to it: a couple sat down next to us. An animated conversation, they were totally into each other. At some point my veal chop was "presented." Their conversation stopped, their eyes were fixed on the twelve inch copper skillet and what was being spooned onto my plate. A minute or two passed and both stared at me, waiting for me to react to my first bite.

I think I closed my eyes and moaned (knowing I had an audience!).

Without a word one of them stood up and left the table...in search of the waiter to change their order. To a veal chop.

No one reading this should visit Fiola without ordering it. The lobster ravioli on my wife's side of the table paled next to it. And Fabio makes the best lobster ravioli I have ever had. Still, his veal chop. His signature.

Fiola is the Citronelle of 2012.

It appears that at least the presentation is different from May of last year when I had it. I went back and read my old post and I remember it being decent, but a bit on the salty side. I will have to try it again.

No idea about salt or what was served last May. Last night was extraordinary.

This is going to sound like an incredible statement on my part but even @ $44 I wonder if they are making money on this. The ingredients are quite costly, the stock reduction for the osso buco sauce was truly cooked down for hours and hours, preparation and plating is labor intensive and the presentation involves "presenting" it to the table then plating tableside.

It's a showstopping production. Then the taste...

Last night each time a veal chop was served people at nearby tables watched. Every time. Conversations were stopped, heads turned. It was really something.

We had our anniversary dinner here tonight, and the stars were the Burrata Mozzarella and the Ahi Tuna Carpaccio. But although we were seated at the very rear of the restaurant, the noise was overwhelming. So instead of attempting a conversation, we just looked at each other and frequently mouthed "I love you."

We had our anniversary dinner here tonight, and the stars were the Burrata Mozzarella and the Ahi Tuna Carpaccio. But although we were seated at the very rear of the restaurant, the noise was overwhelming. So instead of attempting a conversation, we just looked at each other and frequently mouthed "I love you."

And that, my friend, is about the most romantic thing I've ever heard. I'd also bet management would have rectified the problem (assuming it was a problem; it sounds just like the opposite).

Two of us had lunch at the bar yesterday. Jeff was out but Amy took good care of us. I noticed two different versions of a veal chop on two different menus. Liked my short rib ravioli but not in the same galaxy as the lobster ravioli--probably not fair to compare. A big ring of tuna carpaccio served on tomato was a bit of an odd combination (similar textures and colors) but I finished it anyway. My friend really loved Fiola's version of a roast chicken on the $15 lunch menu. His first time and he'll be back with his girlfriend for dinner on the basis of that chicken alone. I can't vouch for that not having tried it myself.

sam_15981.jpg?w=473The $44 proscuitto wrapped veal chop that I had last week is not available on the luncheon menu. Perhaps by special order but it is not listed. It is presented in a copper skillet and plated tableside. Thanks to Washingtonian for the photo; this is the plating after the presentation.

sam_15981.jpg?w=473The $44 proscuitto wrapped veal chop that I had last week is not available on the luncheon menu. Perhaps by special order but it is not listed. It is presented in a copper skillet and plated tableside. Thanks to Washingtonian for the photo; this is the plating after the presentation.

That's a veal chop? It looks like enough food to feed a small village for several weeks.

Friday night's version of sea urchin pasta (Spaghetti Gragnano) was served with crab meat and a bisected langoustine. Unfortunately, this was the 3rd out of 4 times that I've had less than stellar sea urchin pasta here. The sauce was a pool of orange oil, devoid of sea urchin flavor. It didn't taste bad, it just didn't have that creaminess and unique flavor from sea urchin gonads.

The veal chop was delicious, as Joe stated. It was enough food to feel a small village. Had I been there with my wife, I definitely would've split it with her. But I was with a friend who doesn't eat pork (wrapped in prosciutto), so I had to stuff it down myself. I ordered it medium, and it was very tender. I don't know whether one should've ordered it medium rare.

But although we were seated at the very rear of the restaurant, the noise was overwhelming. So instead of attempting a conversation, we just looked at each other and frequently mouthed "I love you."

I dined at Fiola this evening, also in the room all the way at the back. The noise was really beyond overwhelming, to the point that conversation was largely impossible. I think, actually, that the other parts of the restaurant are somewhat less noisy than the back room. But they really need to do something to tame the noise. Tablecloths would help. Carpeting. Wall hangings. Acoustic tile. Anything. Considering the excellence of the food and the supreme smoothness and expertise of the service, Fiola should really not allow the noise to be the main take-away. It's a huge mistake.

All of that aside, this was a spectacular dinner. I started with the spaghetti gragnano. When asked how I liked it, I responded quite honestly "this is one of the best things I've ever eaten". I followed with the veal chop, which is as good as others have said. One thing I found unexpectedly wonderful was how fatty it was. Veal tends to be very lean, but this was unctuous and luscious, and I loved it. It was way too much food for one. I tasted my companions' lobster ravioli, beef tartare, and some other things I'm not remembering. Everything was like bombs bursting in air.

Fiola certainly gets four out of four stars, but needs to do something about the decibels.

I could alert management to this, but I don't want anyone to have a quiet meal on my account.

:unsure:^_^

(I'm quite sure Fiola is listening, and this sounds like an important (but potentially costly, perhaps long-term) issue that won't be fixed overnight.)

Perhaps the clamor is intentional. Deprived of conversation, patrons have but one option: focus on the food.

Friday night's version of sea urchin pasta (Spaghetti Gragnano) was served with crab meat and a bisected langoustine. Unfortunately, this was the 3rd out of 4 times that I've had less than stellar sea urchin pasta here. The sauce was a pool of orange oil, devoid of sea urchin flavor. It didn't taste bad, it just didn't have that creaminess and unique flavor from sea urchin gonads.

By the way, Saturday night's version didn't match your description at all. The perfectly cooked spaghetti was beautifully and lusciously suffused with sea urchin. There was no crab meat, but there was a bisected langoustine which was also perfectly cooked, the flesh still slightly translucent and jelly-like. As I said above, it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

By the way, Saturday night's version didn't match your description at all. The perfectly cooked spaghetti was beautifully and lusciously suffused with sea urchin. There was no crab meat, but there was a bisected langoustine which was also perfectly cooked, the flesh still slightly translucent and jelly-like. As I said above, it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

I had this dish on Thursday night, and it was as the Hersch described it.

Good review in the Post on Fiola:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/restaurants/fiola,1206931/critic-review.html

I still haven't eaten there (but have had Jeff's drinks, and truly, they are Faile-safe, and yes, I'm going to run that joke INTO THE GROUND) but after reading this thread (which made me WAY hungrier than Tom's review) I will definitely need to go down there.

Can you order off the whole menu at the bar?

I definitely want to congratulate Fiola for having improved so much. I was apparently wrong last summer when I raved it about here. Since then, both Washingtonian and Washington Post have said it has apparently "turned the corner" (3.5 stars_from Washingtonian, 3 stars from Washington Post).

Well, I guess Fiola really has gotten better in the past few months, and I was wrong for being the only one to put my nuts on the chopping block early on; I must have really overrated it back then, but you know, who's going to notice anyway.

PS Sit on the patio at Ashby Inn and Sou'Wester sometime and have another good chuckle at how I overrate restaurants (and by all means use Savored.com and save 30%). Then go have Logan Cox's food at Ripple where he magically became a great chef.

You know, within the past couple of days, I wrote Tom and told him that I think he's a great restaurant critic. You know why? Because he IS a great restaurant critic and he deserves to win a James Beard Award. So don't think this is all piss and vinegar.

I would make the serious argument that if Tom had the veal chop and the spaghetti with crab, sea urcin, etc. the result would have been-without question-at least a half star more.

Serious.

I should also note that the second best veal chop in America is the veal parmagiana ON THE BONE at Chef Vola's in Atlantic City. This is a 16 ounce center cut veal chop ON THE BONE cut, pounded, breaded and presented with mozz and homemade tomato sauce. Nobody else-NOBODY ELSE-in America does it like this. We had it last night, fourteen days after Fabio's Veal Chop.

I cannot rave about Chef Vola's enough. Simply worth the 400 mile roundtrip drive to Atlantic City. Worth the nightmare of being "worthy" to make a reservation, worth the adventure of just finding the place.

Now...having said this, Fabio's veal chop is better. AND I CONTINUE TO BELIEVE IT IS AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN AT $44.00. I mean this: this is a $65 entree masquerading at two thirds the price.

When my wife and I were driving back today from Atlantic City we noted that if we lived in Atlantic City, we would be driving to D. C. to have dinner at Fiola. In fact as Atlantic Citians we would be regulars at Fiola. Fiola is that good.

For those of us who live in Reston, so is Chef Vola's. Just a notch below. As it won a James Beard Award this past year so should Fabio win the best new restaurant in America for this year.

http://www.washingto...tic-review.html

Words in the review: 1044

Words in the review about wine: 0

Tom Sietsema's editor: you're fired.

I love spirits. I love cocktails. You may have seen me selling spirits, in such places as (gasp!) Fiola. But give me a goddamn break. The wine list at Fiola is full of underappreciated little numbers, well kept, well presented, and (often) well-aligned with the food. Wine still makes up a large proportion of the average check for many/most diners there.

Zero words. I can't vouch for what Tom Sietsema submitted to his editor. But his editor has a pretty hackneyed view of what should go in The Washington Post.

http://www.washingto...tic-review.html

I still haven't eaten there (but have had Jeff's drinks, and truly, they are Faile-safe, and yes, I'm going to run that joke INTO THE GROUND) but after reading this thread (which made me WAY hungrier than Tom's review) I will definitely need to go down there.

Can you order off the whole menu at the bar?

Indeed, the whole menu is available at the bar.

Cheers,

Jeff

I got the sense from Tom's review that for several of his visits for his review he dined in the bar rather than the main dining room; that may give some clue as to why nothing about wine here (though that doesn't excuse it either).

A nice lunch here on Tuesday; I had intended to order the much-talked-about tomato soup and sandwich combo, but missed it on the menu, so settled for the chestnut cappucino and the piadina, a satisfactory combo. Dining companions had blood orange salad, arctic char, farrato, and the zuppa inglese for dessert (among other dishes). Like Tom, we also noticed a significant lag between courses, which was a bit annoying, but the meal made me want to come back to explore the menu more, perhaps at the bar.

What, you can't have wine at the bar? Funny sort of bar.

(Eyes rolling in a non-emoticon way.) No, but at the bar, it seems one is more likely to focus either on wines by the glass, or on the mixed drinks, as he did in the review (and which he sometimes seems to prefer to wine).

Cheers,

Jeff

Don't sit at the bar and wimp out: if you order the veal chop you'll attract showstopping attention from those around you. I guarantee that any single ordering this will end up with friends for several seats on either side of them.

Hours are confusing on their web site. Dinner starts at 530p, but HH is M-F from 4-6p.

The bar never officially shuts down in between lunch and dinner. Between the end of lunch and the beginning of dinner service, we offer up selections from our bar menu. After that, the full menu is up and running.

Cheers,

Jeff

(Eyes rolling in a non-emoticon way.) No, but at the bar, it seems one is more likely to focus either on wines by the glass, or on the mixed drinks, as he did in the review (and which he sometimes seems to prefer to wine).

Until we have a happy hour there. In which case the focus would be on all of the above. Knowing this crew (and knowing the happy hour specials at Fiola), I would say, verrrrry good focus.

Dinner on Friday night was lovely. I arrived at the bar early enough to have a cocktail (Bitter End) before Mr. BLB arrived.

The calamari was not on the menu but when we asked our server checked since it had been on the lunch menu. An order arrived as a gift from the Chef. It was without a doubt the single best dish of calamari I have had in my life. And I've eaten a lot of calamari in the last 42 years.

I had the Chestnut soup and the veal chop. Mr. BLB had the lobster ravioli and the shoat. The soup was fabulous. Rich without being too much. I understood the appeal of the veal chop but it did not wow me. Mr. BLB's ravioli were nice but not as good as it sounded in descriptions from other dinners. His shoat was also lovely.

Dinner was loud. The Mizzou basketball game was on at the bar and the travails of the team were loudly echoed by the bar crowd.

Ultimately for me, it was a perfectly nice dinner out that I was desperately wishing was as good as my last meal at G3. This was our first experience with Fabio Trabocchi's cooking and I did like it. It just wasn't quite transcendent.

I understood the appeal of the veal chop but it did not wow me. Mr. BLB's ravioli were nice but not as good as it sounded in descriptions from other dinners.

Ultimately for me, it was a perfectly nice dinner out that I was desperately wishing was as good as my last meal at G3. This was our first experience with Fabio Trabocchi's cooking and I did like it. It just wasn't quite transcendent.

+1. We were there for dinner Wednesday night. After excellent drinks at the bar, we had a very good meal but I had hoped for more, in part from absolutely loving every meal I had at Maestro and in part from the buzz here.

I had the seafood spaghetti and the veal chop, while my wife had the meatballs and the lobster ravioli. My pasta was very good, with very fresh and flavorful seafood. While quite tasty, the veal chop did not wow me either, and I don't think I would order it again. My wife really enjoyed the meatballs but was unimpressed with the ravioli.

I'm sure we'll go back, because a number of things on the menu tempted us, but we'll go in with lowered expectations.

After a great dinner elsewhere last Saturday night, we headed to Fiola to enjoy some of Jeff's cocktail magic. We had such a great time at the bar - Jeff and his colleagues are wonderful hosts, even when it is chaotic and busy (which is actually kind of fun to watch). We ordered the donuts and the tart, which were both sweet and tasty, but the drinks absolutely stole the show - so much so that I cannot remember exactly what they were! :P

Here is the second of my downtown/Penn Quarter luncheon spots. At the bar, there is a selection of entrees along with a beverage for about $17. "Beverages" used to include a glass of house wine, sadly they have dropped this from the option. Memo to management - put the house wine back on the bar lunch special and you'll see me even more than you do now. (Come to think of it, just to get rid of me they might prefer to keep the wine off this special!)

Here is the second of my downtown/Penn Quarter luncheon spots. At the bar, there is a selection of entrees along with a beverage for about $17. "Beverages" used to include a glass of house wine, sadly they have dropped this from the option. Memo to management - put the house wine back on the bar lunch special and you'll see me even more than you do now. (Come to think of it, just to get rid of me they might prefer to keep the wine off this special!)

[Jon Karl once told me, "Congressmen actually do pay attention when their constituents write them letters." Same goes here - I'm quite certain Fiola management will see your memo. Cheers, Rocks]

Update: the lunch deal is now $22, which brought a superb blood orange salad with lettuce and sliced almonds, a sublime piece of cod with white asparagus, and a shaved-ice-style dessert which was light but refreshing. Restrauenteurs note: the shaved ice dessert was a low-priced dessert, frozen water with some good flavoring. The only real cost was the labor to put it together and plate it. Highly recommended.

Drinks by Jeff were excellent and he needs to put that scotch drink he made on the menu or at least remind us how it was made.

Dinner at the bar and I decided to select the 4 savory* course tasting menu ($115). Unfortunately the dinner menu is not online so I am writing from memory.

Start was a good dish of Orange Marlin (Nairagi) crudi. The next course was the much mentioned bucatini which I thought was very good. The mix of all the seafood components was excellent and I would order this again. I requested to have the rabbit dish for the entree portion (this is where the lack of a menu gets me) as I liked the description and I was not disappointed. The final savory course was a trio of sorbets, which I would normally never order, but were very flavorful. Overall an enjoyable and expensive meal.

*When you read 4 savory courses on the menu do you expect a final course being sorbet? Am I the only one that thinks it should read 3 courses + dessert?

The sea urchin spaghetti and the lasagna are not on the online menu, which looks to be the spring menu -- I am sad! Husband would have been made very happy by the lasagna (though the bolognese is still on the menu, or if rabbit is on it that day, he'll probably get that). And I was very much looking forward to the sea urchin spaghetti, but I guess I waited too long -- lobster ravioli will still be a fabulous dinner, I never got to Maestro to try it and lobster is one of my favorite foods. Though they have a soft-shell crab on the menu, and I haven't had my first one of the season . . .

Three questions for anyone who knows:

(1) is the lobster ravioli available in half portions? (so I can have something else, maybe the salad with amazing goat cheese in half portion, mentioned above, and room for dessert )

(2) any items from the spring menu that people would particularly recommend? (anyone had that soft-shell crab?)

(3) any recommendations for non-alcoholic cocktails there? If not, I'm sure Jeff Faile will make something wonderful.

sam_15981.jpg?w=473

The $48 proscuitto wrapped veal chop that I had last week is not available on the luncheon menu. Perhaps by special order but it is not listed. It is presented in a copper skillet and plated tableside. Thanks to Washingtonian for the photo; this is the plating after the presentation.

I believe this is Fabio's new signature dish. You should give it serious consideration.

I believe this is Fabio's new signature dish. You should give it serious consideration.

I read your review earlier and was definitely planning to mention it to my husband (I'm going seafood for sure). Though, while it looks luscious, I'm worried he wouldn't have room for dessert which he will want. (I presume we could take some of it home...)