Equipment Advice

goodeats

I want a knife that will slice baked goods like brownies and cakes without crushing them or getting half the thing stuck to the knife. I understand this may be a pipe dream, but I'm wondering about the hollow-edge slicing knives that people use to slice meats. Has anyone tried them in other capacities?

Edited to say - I've tried the hot water trick, those weird comb-looking "cake slicers," and I'm too impatient to freeze everything so I get clean cuts. So not only am I demanding a lot from a knife, I'm going to be a bit of a pita about it. :ph34r:

By "hollow-edged" are you referring to a Granton edge, the kind with a series of olive-shaped indentations along the blade just above the edge? (as distinguished from hollow ground). It's really designed to break the vacuum that's created as certain things with a fibrous internal structure, like onions or deli meats, are sliced, thus helping to keep them from clinging to the knife and making the slicing process smoother; how it would help with baked goods I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

I would think the best bet would be a professional pastry knife, which is like a regular bread knife but with smaller serrations. Or any bread knife with small, tight, serrations. Sanelli is a good brand that I used to sell -- I may even have one in stock at home where I'm not now so can't check -- here is an Amazon link. Also the red and green handle is very cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanelli-303626-Premana-Professional-Pastry/dp/B000A8M8I4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371304984&sr=8-1&keywords=sanelli+pastry+knife

By "hollow-edged" are you referring to a Granton edge, the kind with a series of olive-shaped indentations along the blade just above the edge? (as distinguished from hollow ground). It's really designed to break the vacuum that's created as certain things with a fibrous internal structure, like onions or deli meats, are sliced, thus helping to keep them from clinging to the knife and making the slicing process smoother; how it would help with baked goods I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

I would think the best bet would be a professional pastry knife, which is like a regular bread knife but with smaller serrations. Or any bread knife with small, tight, serrations. Sanelli is a good brand that I used to sell -- I may even have one in stock at home where I'm not now so can't check -- here is an Amazon link. Also the red and green handle is very cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanelli-303626-Premana-Professional-Pastry/dp/B000A8M8I4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371304984&sr=8-1&keywords=sanelli+pastry+knife

This is the type of knife I was thinking of. Henckels calls it "hollow edge" and others call it "Granton edge," but for some reason I thought Granton was trademarked. I did not know about a professional pastry knife. Something to consider.

I'm happy between my serrated bread and carving Victorinox knives for breads and brownies.

I have a bread knife and a serrated tomato knife, both of which have been put to the task with varying degrees of success. Cake is the one that's difficult, particularly after frosting, and dulce de leche brownies turn into servings of one lump or two.

I didn't know that you stopped selling Sanelli knives--I love the chef's knife I got from you, and use it all the time. So does that mean you are no longer Prof Pots?

I didn't know that you stopped selling Sanelli knives--I love the chef's knife I got from you, and use it all the time. So does that mean you are no longer Prof Pots?

I'm glad to hear you continue to like that knife. Sanelli makes a good product for a reasonable price.

I gave up on the web site I had -- it just wasn't doing enough business to justify the cost of maintaining it. I have continued to sell on eBay (my name there is profpotspans) including the Update International line of stainless cookware and a few Victorinox knives, but haven't done much with the Sanelli or the Dexter cutlery; it's always one of those "tomorrow" things and tomorrow never comes. What I list at any time depends mostly on whether I'm home to ship things -- if not, I limit the listings to larger items where the prices justify drop shipping from an alternative wholesale supplier.

This is the type of knife I was thinking of. Henckels calls it "hollow edge" and others call it "Granton edge," but for some reason I thought Granton was trademarked. I did not know about a professional pastry knife. Something to consider.

Granton is indeed a copyrighted term, but many knife companies use it to describe that edge. Don't ask me how. The edge was developed by the Granton Company in 1928. Here's more info.

With no idea, I was thinking maybe a mezzaluna knife could somehow work, so I google'd it. Instead, I found this interwebz secret...

"Use a plastic knife"

Hrm, I wonder if there are any upscale plastic knives that would make a better presentation. Not sure I like the warm batter + plastic combination, either, but the possibilities of shifting the thinking to a new material are interesting.

• Like 1

With no idea, I was thinking maybe a mezzaluna knife could somehow work, so I google'd it. Instead, I found this interwebz secret...

"Use a plastic knife"

Hrm, I wonder if there are any upscale plastic knives that would make a better presentation. Not sure I like the warm batter + plastic combination, either, but the possibilities of shifting the thinking to a new material are interesting.

She doesn't show us what the plastic knife looked like. <_< Given how many different types of plastic there are, and the different brands and sizes of knives, this experiment is not replicable. Bah. I know there must be a "type" because I've used a plastic knife on brownies and lemon bars a couple of times at various outdoor functions, only to have it make a big mess.

I have a serrated bread knife that is cheap and has never been a great bread knife. (I'm not even sure why I still have it :).) I find that it works fairly well for cutting cakes. The serrations are fairly small and close together, not like a regular bread knife but not as compact as a steak knife.

I have a bread knife and a serrated tomato knife, both of which have been put to the task with varying degrees of success. Cake is the one that's difficult, particularly after frosting, and dulce de leche brownies turn into servings of one lump or two.

I have one of those, and it doesn't work well at all for cakes and cake-like goods. Bread and serrated tomato knives work much better for me.

I have a serrated bread knife that is cheap and has never been a great bread knife. (I'm not even sure why I still have it :).) I find that it works fairly well for cutting cakes. The serrations are fairly small and close together, not like a regular bread knife but not as compact as a steak knife.

What you have there is a pastry knife, not a bread knife. That's why it works on cake but not so much on bread (you did say it was cheap so one may assume that's why it works only "fairly" well even on cake).

The consistency and strength of yeast-leavened baked goods, i.e. bread is significantly different from that of baking powder-leavened baked goods like cakes and other pastries, which is why a blade type that works well on one won't work so well on the other. For bread you need large serrations; for pastry, small serrations. In general, the tougher the product, the larger the serration.

Steak, by the way, is a whole different animal, as it were. IMO steak that requires a steak knife should be avoided. Better to buy steak that can be cut with a butter knife.

Well, you could go nuts and buy that new KitchenAid dicing food processor Williams-Sonoma's been hawking. The gadget geek in me wants it, but I also realize I have a knife that can do much of that.

Still, though, dicing...

I'm going to confess to being fascinated by this machine, so I've been looking around and it turns out that Magimix (the consumer version of Robot Coupe) has a dicing kit as well. I can find the processor for sale at Williams Sonoma, but no dicing kit - maybe a deal they made with KA? From the PDF on the Magimix website, it looks like you push the food through with your own force and hope it comes out evenly. Made in France. KA is made in China and has a five-year warranty.

I want a knife that will slice baked goods like brownies and cakes without crushing them or getting half the thing stuck to the knife. I understand this may be a pipe dream, but I'm wondering about the hollow-edge slicing knives that people use to slice meats. Has anyone tried them in other capacities?

Edited to say - I've tried the hot water trick, those weird comb-looking "cake slicers," and I'm too impatient to freeze everything so I get clean cuts. So not only am I demanding a lot from a knife, I'm going to be a bit of a pita about it. :ph34r:

If you take the brownies out of the pan dental floss works great.
  • Like 2

Those Weber plastic ones are the worst!

How about a canvas cover?

The one that just disintegrated was some sort of plasticised or waterproofed canvas and was CharBroil brand. It seemed really sturdy when I bought it, but it only lasted a year.

I have one made of "sunbrella" fabric that came with my HastyBake. It has lasted for five years or more since I got it (can't remember exactly when it was). Obviously this fits only the specific grill it was made for, but if you can find one made of that fabric, that's the one to get. It is waterproof and hasn't deteriorated at all.

• Like 1

I'm going to confess to being fascinated by this machine, so I've been looking around and it turns out that Magimix (the consumer version of Robot Coupe) has a dicing kit as well.  I can find the processor for sale at Williams Sonoma, but no dicing kit - maybe a deal they made with KA?  From the PDF on the Magimix website, it looks like you push the food through with your own force and hope it comes out evenly.  Made in France.  KA is made in China and has a five-year warranty.

So preserving season is upon us, and I'm taking Aleve for pain in my right arm, and it was caused by too much chopping.  I'm thinking one of these is medically necessary.  (Feel free to enable.)

So preserving season is upon us, and I'm taking Aleve for pain in my right arm, and it was caused by too much chopping.  I'm thinking one of these is medically necessary.  (Feel free to enable.)

I got a Magimix through Chefs.com and it came with a bunch of stuff, but not a dicing kit. Damn!

I vote for wearing a wrist or elbow support when you chop instead of the new equipment... :P

:P  You're a crappy enabler.  My 20+ year old Braun is creating an odd, burning odor when it runs, so I am not being completely outrageous looking at these, just somewhat outrageous.  Plus, my wrist and lower arm hurt like a *@%, and there is still caponata to be made.

I got a Magimix through Chefs.com and it came with a bunch of stuff, but not a dicing kit. Damn!

I've spent a bit of time looking, and it doesn't seem to be on the US market.  Canada has it, Europe has it, editing to add that Australia has it, but we don't, and I can't figure out why.  I've used machines by Cuisinart, KitchenAid, and Braun, but not Magimix.  Have you been happy with yours?  If it's worth it, I may send Mr. lperry on a mission when he next goes to Canada.

Another possibility may be a more suitable knife.  Dexter has a line of knives specifically designed for those of us who, shall we say, are getting along in years and feeling the associated aches and pains.  Click.  They work by changing the manner in which the hand and wrist apply force to the item being cut, placing the hand OVER the item being cut, allowing the cutting motion to be a push from the arm and not requiring your wrist to torque.  There is a link to a video on that page that explains it in more detail.

Available at Amazon and other outlets.

Another possibility may be a more suitable knife.  Dexter has a line of knives specifically designed for those of us who, shall we say, are getting along in years and feeling the associated aches and pains.  Click.  They work by changing the manner in which the hand and wrist apply force to the item being cut, placing the hand OVER the item being cut, allowing the cutting motion to be a push from the arm and not requiring your wrist to torque.  There is a link to a video on that page that explains it in more detail.

Available at Amazon and other outlets.

That's a reasonable suggestion.  I like what I have and really don't want another knife, though, and I will be needing a new food processor soon anyway.  The large quantities are a seasonal thing, and sometimes I spend two hours or more chopping pounds of produce.  The fact that I cleaned out the garden this weekend and had to feed everything into the wood chipper probably isn't helping the issue.  For the moment, I think I'll be better served by a wrist brace and a few days of inactivity.  For the future, however, the time and work saved with a machine sound awfully good.

On the non-electric front, does anyone have one of these?

I've spent a bit of time looking, and it doesn't seem to be on the US market.  Canada has it, Europe has it, editing to add that Australia has it, but we don't, and I can't figure out why.  I've used machines by Cuisinart, KitchenAid, and Braun, but not Magimix.  Have you been happy with yours?  If it's worth it, I may send Mr. lperry on a mission when he next goes to Canada.

I found this on Chefs.com:  http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/29555-magimix-12-cup-food-processor-85307cc.aspx

This is not exactly the model I have. Interestingly, the deal-breaker for America's Test Kitchen was the way-too-narrow opening on the top (and, yes, I have to pare down whatever I'm pushing through). This model seems to have solved that problem.

All food processors have their downsides and I haven't used mine often enough to make any absolutes about this. The one I have has THREE bowls--cutting blades for only the smallest and largest bowls and the middle one is the only one you can use the slicing/shredding blades with.  However, it seems to be extremely well made and is a breeze to clean by hand (unlike my original Cuisinart food processor). It is also much easier to operate than was my old Cuisinart; however, it didn't come with an instructional manual. Instead, it came with a DVD that I haven't bothered to look at.  There is a video on Youtube that I refer to if I need help. It is made in France, not China, always a great plus to me.  I hit a sale, so I paid $275 for mine and that included free shipping and no sales tax. However, the model I bought did not come with the egg-beater attachment.  But then, so what?  I have a KitchenAid stand mixer for that kind of stuff. My Mother gave me the Cuisinart as a wedding present back in 1990 and I only had to start looking for a new one a year or so ago when some of the plastic bits started breaking off.  The motor still works, but parts are hard to find.

I don't expect to ever have to buy another processor in my lifetime, since the Magimix seems so well made and I don't use it that often. (It turned that pound of basil into pesto in nothing flat).

I had looked at the processors on Amazon before I bought this. Some of the negative reviews of KitchenAid and Cuisinart gave me pause and I never could decide. The special offer on the Magimix sealed the deal for me. I guess it all depends on how much you will be using it and in what way. YMMV.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, Barbara.  I like that the motor has a 30-year warranty.  My Braun was made in Germany and was given to me in 1990.  It has this little, turning metal whisk attachment that whips egg whites and cream, a dough blade I never really used, and a metal blade that I've resharpened several times.  The smartest thing about it is that the disks are two-sided with a grater and slicer on each, depending on which side is up.  The worst part about it is that the motor is on the side so it has an enormous footprint.  It's been used relentlessly for all sorts of things, hummus, pesto, vanilla sugar, sun-dried tomato paste, nut butters, slaws, gratins, pickles, and I'm starting to feel a bit nostalgic about losing it, but I don't want to be without one for very long, so I'm trying to decide now so when it does go, I'll run out and get the new one.  Since the Cuisinart Mini Chop has been making that motor-is-on-its-way-out smell for over a year, the thought of a single appliance with multiple-sized bowls is also appealing.  Plus, I found the dicing kit on ebay.

Edit:  Zora, I've done ice, Aleve, immobilization, and Chinese topical herbal medicine.  :)  All options exhausted, I hope.

Thanks for the link, Barbara.  I like that the motor has a 30-year warranty.  My Braun was made in Germany and was given to me in 1990.  It has this little, turning metal whisk attachment that whips egg whites and cream, a dough blade I never really used, and a metal blade that I've resharpened several times.  The smartest thing about it is that the disks are two-sided with a grater and slicer on each, depending on which side is up.  

OK, so you made me go a dig mine out. (I have so little counter space that I have to store the machine in a cabinet.) Mine is the 5150 model and it came with a lovely box containing the extra blades, other equipment and the slicing/shredding discs--two of which are reversible, giving me four different uses in two blades.  Haven't used those, yet, but I have to make a bunch of coleslaw in a week and will have to.

It also came with a huge juicer attachment that I doubt I'll ever use.

I have a John Boos board, and it is about eight years old now and has nary a crack in it, although it could probably use a sanding for all the cutting I've done.  They are pricey, but I don't think I'll ever have to buy another one. 

I have a Boos as well and love it. It lives on my counter and it gets semi-regular oil and beeswax rub downs and it is in great shape after many years of heavy use.

Agreed, I oil my board from time to time, especially if for some reason I put it through the dishwasher (like the other night after I accidentally poisoned us all with squash and the thought of anything it touched made my tummy upset).  I forget the oil that I use is, MK ordered it for me with the board.  I know bamboo is supposed to be anti-microbial, but sometimes I just feel better when I put it through the dishwasher rather than scrubbing it in the sink.  

I like my tamarind wood cutting board. It's round because it's from the inside of a tree. You can find them around here at Vietnamese and Thai markets for under $20.

I have one of these, too, & a couple of bamboo boards (one is shaped like a surfboard), & a couple of random exotic wood boards that you can pick up at TJMaxx or HomeGoods. & if I'm not cutting fruits or veg, I top them w/ the cheapo plastic sheets, I'm paranoid about cross contamination.

I have a couple of different sizes of the Epicurean Kitchen Cutting Boards, and they are by far my favorite boards that I've ever had or used. They're not very expensive; they're fairly lightweight, which makes it easy to carry a board-full of chopped onions or whatever to the stove; they absolutely don't warp, even though they're quite thin; they're indestructible; they're easy on knives; they don't need oiling; and they love to go in the dishwasher. I love them.

• Like 1

You want one that is flexible enough to bend, with a surface slick enough that ice won't stick, as you know. I suggest searching Amazon, filtering by highest rating, and reading the one star reviews. Best for things everybody uses, mass market, not for high end items like chefs knives. That's what I always wind up doing. You can't fool all the people all of the time. We do have Amazon Prime. Use it enough to more than pay for itself.

We have some silicone ones that are pretty good.

Pyrex measuring cups REALLY are no longer what they used to be.  I'm not talking about the change from borosilicate to tempered soda-lime glass...Corning started that long before selling the product line to World Kitchen.  I'm talking about the now useless pour spouts on the 2- and 4-cup sizes.  With Pyrex's current production method, they're not really spouts anymore, merely dents in the rim.  The dribble+spill effect sets in if you try to empty the 4-cup size in anything less than 20-30 seconds...and even geeks like me who habitually pour down an intermediate object - a holdover from using stirring rods in chemistry class - still find that these new cups suck.  Unless you really like mopping up your counter and trying to guess how much volume didn't make it into the dish.

Better explanation on this Amazon review, complete with pictures of how the 2-cup spout has changed.

Stick with your vintage Pyrex as long as you can.  Mid-80s through mid-90s "open handle" were the best ones made IMHO.  For new, has anybody used the Arcuisine borosilicate measuring cups?  Rather pricey, but the design looks promising.

• Like 2

Pyrex measuring cups REALLY are no longer what they used to be.  I'm not talking about the change from borosilicate to tempered soda-lime glass...Corning started that long before selling the product line to World Kitchen.  I'm talking about the now useless pour spouts on the 2- and 4-cup sizes.  With Pyrex's current production method, they're not really spouts anymore, merely dents in the rim.  The dribble+spill effect sets in if you try to empty the 4-cup size in anything less than 20-30 seconds...and even geeks like me who habitually pour down an intermediate object - a holdover from using stirring rods in chemistry class - still find that these new cups suck.  Unless you really like mopping up your counter and trying to guess how much volume didn't make it into the dish.

Better explanation on this Amazon review, complete with pictures of how the 2-cup spout has changed.

Stick with your vintage Pyrex as long as you can.  Mid-80s through mid-90s "open handle" were the best ones made IMHO.  For new, has anybody used the Arcuisine borosilicate measuring cups?  Rather pricey, but the design looks promising.

That really sucks. I'm a fierce advocate of spending extra $$$ to buy something that will really last. It's a shame when the thing you want to buy simply doesn't exist. I wonder if something made for a laboratory setting would work?

http://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Borosilicate-Graduated-Beakers-1000ml/dp/B00AU6Y78K/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1446477290&sr=1-1&keywords=borosilicate

No handle? No problem: http://www.amazon.com/Beaker-Rubber-Coated-Nickel-Plated/dp/B00IUZ9G5W/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1446477351&sr=1-2&keywords=beaker+tongs