I-95 to NYC

Ericandblueboy

Going to NJ to see my bro this weekend. Plan on having lunch on the road tomorrow. I really would love to stop in Lexington Market or Attman's but they're kind of a long detour. If we get on the road early enough, maybe we'll stop at Tony Luke's in Philly (it appears to be right off of I-95). Any other thoughts? Doesn't have to be fast food.

Going to NJ to see my bro this weekend. Plan on having lunch on the road tomorrow. I really would love to stop in Lexington Market or Attman's but they're kind of a long detour. If we get on the road early enough, maybe we'll stop at Tony Luke's in Philly (it appears to be right off of I-95). Any other thoughts? Doesn't have to be fast food.

Philly is a pretty big detour on the way to NY. I usually take the Delaware Memorial Bridge and shoot up the NJ Turnpike.

I don't have any suggestions. Last trip we brought our lunch and ate at one of the NJ rest stops.

Philly is a pretty big detour on the way to NY. I usually take the Delaware Memorial Bridge and shoot up the NJ Turnpike.

Ditto -- getting into Philly pretty much takes you way out of your way. I never stop to eat on this trip, either; I bring snacks in the car and/or hope the tpke is moving fast enough that I don't have to worry about it. :) Have stopped a few places in Connecticut on the NYC--Boston leg, but otherwise, it's pretty much an asphalt wasteland.

I don't have any suggestions. Last trip we brought our lunch and ate at one of the NJ rest stops.

A quick plot via Google Maps shows a detour time about 10 minutes. I say stop at Tony Luke's.

While I always take this route myself, according to Teh Google, it's only 6 more miles and 10 more minutes to stay on the PA side and take 95 up.

And Tony Luke's is literally under I-95. Very quick on/off. Make sure you go to the stand, not the sports pub across the street. Get a Roast Pork Italian w/rabe and a Pizza Steak.

This doesn't beat pork/provolone/rabe in any way, but if you take I-295 instead of the Turnpike after the Delaware Memorial Bridge, there are two Wegmans (I believe exits 34 and 40, or somewhere thereabouts, but one is much closer to the offramp) where we usually pick up stuff from the prepared food amusement park. :)

I make this trip - a lot - and since it's only 4.5 hours, I usually take something along for the ride. There are 2 routes that I take; if I use I-95 up through Maryland, I generally stop at Exit 109B, the last exit in Maryland. The liquor store there (State Line Liquors, I think) has some great prices on rye and bourbon. However, lately I've been doing the route that takes me out New York Avenue, route 50 over the Bay Bridge, up 301, picking up I-95 right before the DMB. So much more relaxing and generally takes about the same amount of time, though it's a few more miles in total.

We're actually going to Mountain Lakes, NJ and we'll take 95 all the way to Philly, then take 206 north through Princeton. We could go straight through but I l wouldn't want to pass up something good :) In any case, we'd probably have to stop to feed/change the baby and all that. Tony Luke's sounds like our best bet and I'll probably order what Daniel suggested. Thanks!

We're actually going to Mountain Lakes, NJ and we'll take 95 all the way to Philly, then take 206 north through Princeton. We could go straight through but I l wouldn't want to pass up something good :) In any case, we'd probably have to stop to feed/change the baby and all that. Tony Luke's sounds like our best bet and I'll probably order what Daniel suggested. Thanks!

You may want to try John's Roast Pork if you're coming up from the south. (It closes early, and the last time I went, the sandwich wasn't quite as sublime).

You may want to try John's Roast Pork if you're coming up from the south. (It closes early, and the last time I went, the sandwich wasn't quite as sublime).

John's is good, but they don't use broccoli rabe, only spinach. And their cheesesteaks aren't as good.

(p.s. don't forget to get onions on the Pizza Steak)

If you are pressed for time and do not want to get off the New Jersey Turnpike and cannot stand any of the loathsome offerings at the fast food joints, I suggest wandering in to the Z Market and go to their deli case, which offers fresh sandwiches, wraps, salads, cut fruits and vegetables, and other sides. I would not call it gourmet, but it is certainly a tastier and healthier alternative to anything else you are likely to find in those rest stops.

The Italian Kitchen, which is off of 295 right before you get on the Turnpike, has the best pizza steak I have ever had.  The combination of chopped steak, mozzarella, and tomato sauce creates an umami concoction that will make you weep.  The small is big enough to feed two  but it is so good I managed to down the whole thing myself.