Worst Cocktails Ever

porcupine

You really ought to try a well-made Manhattan, preferably made with rye whiskey, but Bourbon will suffice, as well as very good FRESH sweet vermouth. It is one of life's wonderfully simple drinking pleasures. smile.gif

I ordered a Manhattan at Corduroy a few weeks ago, figuring that was a good spot to order one. I think it was made with Maker's Mark. (They had a specialty one but I asked for just a regular Manhattan.)

I could tell it was a well-made cocktail and it was definitely better than what I'd had before, but I think I may just not like Manhattans huh.gif. If I have a chance to order one with rye, maybe I'll try again, but I think this is not my drink.

I ordered a Manhattan at Corduroy a few weeks ago, figuring that was a good spot to order one. I think it was made with Maker's Mark. (They had a specialty one but I asked for just a regular Manhattan.)

I could tell it was a well-made cocktail and it was definitely better than what I'd had before, but I think I may just not like Manhattans huh.gif. If I have a chance to order one with rye, maybe I'll try again, but I think this is not my drink.

Have you ever had one made with Carpano Antica Formula vermouth and brandied sour cherries? Derek made one for us when he worked at Palena and it was a revelation. Before that day, it was a one-dimensional sticky sweet drink that my mother-in-law used to order with an extra maraschino cherry. Now it is our favorite winter cocktail. I like it with rye, J. prefers his with bourbon. Carpano Antica Formula has depth and complexity unlike any other sweet vermouth I've tasted.

Another possibility, if it is too sweet for you, is to order a perfect manhattan, which has 1/2 sweet and 1/2 dry vermouth, and a twist instead of a cherry. Again, the quality of the vermouth(s) is paramount.

Yeah, in my opinion Maker's Mark isn't a good Manhattan bourbon - it's too sweet and light to be paired with a heavy pour of sweet vermouth.

If you want to stick with bourbon, consider Bulleit bourbon. Better yet, hit some place with a variety of whiskeys and vermouths (such as Bourbon or Passenger) and ask for some help! :) I've always liked the menu that Bourbon does with a "build your Manhattan" type of setup.

So something irks me these days.  I've been trying a few craft cocktails on cocktail menus with the house's special cocktails.

Hold off on the honey!!!  Pullllleeeeeeze.  It just doesn't mix well.  Its heavy, its sweet, and it drops to the bottom of the class.  If a bartender swirls and swirls and swirls or shakes till his/her arms ache with pain...its still going to sink to the bottom if not immediately soon thereafter.   If I'm sipping that drink...the honey just won't connect.

In any case, among a variety of new designed craft cocktails that at least I've tried....that is one ingredient I have yet to experience sit well in a drink and contribute well to its composition.

Hold off on the honey!!! 

Oddly, I just came back from having drinks at Petworth Citizen, where I ordered something called the "Airmail," which is described as "White Rum, Lime Juice, Honey, Champagne."

It was tasty, and the honey was not clumpy. I bet they diluted it in the rum ahead of time.

Oddly, I just came back from having drinks at Petworth Citizen, where I ordered something called the "Airmail," which is described as "White Rum, Lime Juice, Honey, Champagne."

It was tasty, and the honey was not clumpy. I bet they diluted it in the rum ahead of time.

Sometimes I feel like my thinking cap is off.  Dean sent a note stating that the honey needs to be honey syrup.  It mixes in that state.

So true.  I've known this...but I forgot it, and I don't mix cocktails with any regularity at this point.  Here is the simplest variation:

INGREDIENTS

1 cup honey

1 cup water

DIRECTIONS

*In a small saucepan, heat honey, then add in water.

*Stir until fully incorporated, then let cool before refrigerating.

*Makes 2 cups honey syrup.

Simple syrups with fresh limes, lemons, sugar, water, honey (in this case)   do wonders for drinks.

What I don't get,  (I get it...its just a sad fact of marketing/ineptitude/ lack on knowledge)    are these specialty cocktail menu's with supposed craft cocktails...wherein the ingredient mix and the end result simply don't work....and in the honey cases...at the most basic level.

In the last example while sitting at a bar and chatting with the drink sitting there the bartender started restirring.  Hey nice gesture...but wtf????

Poorly conceived drink....and yes the honey had all dropped to the bottom of the unfinished cocktail.