Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

I didn't mean it as a slam.  I just wanted to give the gentlemen of the site a heads up should they be considering going there during the dog days of summer.  It's his place, his rule and I'm fine with it.  Just wished I would have known before Eatruneat and I ventured that way.  I'll be back in the fall.  

The dress code dates back to the years when they were in the hotel, right down the hall from the gym.  It kept people from wandering in wearing exercise and otherwise super casual clothes.  As I said upthread, there used to be more restrictions than there are now.

Since I'm in shorts most of the summer, I understand the frustration.  I only get to Corduroy during the summer if someone is driving me and I'm not carrying all my stuff in the pockets of cargo shorts, which is how I travel on foot and by metro.

• Like 1

Just an FYI:  I was contemplating making reservations for dinner here next week and checked their website to make sure they would be open.  Buried on the "about" page is the message that they will be closed August 16-30, while Chef Power is on vacation.

We had our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve, and stayed with the tried-and-true: Corduroy.

They were full, of course, but I knew that Matt and I would be able to walk right up to the bar and get a seat; what I didn't know is that, in addition to the $65 three-course Christmas Menu, Tom Power was offering his standard $30, three-course bar menu - so, because we sat at the bar, we were able to dine like kings at a pauper's ransom.

I began dinner with a glass of 2014 Haut Marin Côes de Gascogne ($9), a medium-bodied, somewhat aromatic white made with a blend of Colombard, Ugni Blanc, and Gros Manseng - it's a "humble" Vin de Pays which punches above its weight class. Normally, I would carp about paying $9 for a glass of wine from a bottle which you can buy for $9, but not in this situation - Corduroy continues to use excellent stemware (offering the diner a taste of wine before serving it), proper temperature control, and an extremely generous six-ounce pour. This, plus the fact that to find this wine required tasting through a hundred others - I'll pay nine dollars for this anytime, and a second glass took me the entire way through dinner. Matt got a non-alcoholic cocktail made with Ginger Beer and Lime ($4) as a base, and although I didn't taste it, he said it was wonderful.

After some waffling about whether to spring for the $65 three-course or stick with the $30 bar menu, we decided it made no financial sense to go with the Christmas menu - even though it offered more intricate and interesting courses, there was some overlap, and the primary difference for us would have been in the main courses - we were sitting at the bar, so we went ahead and took advantage of that fact. By the way, it's nice to see that some things don't change: Pete, the tall, handsome GM, is still at Corduroy - I'm not sure how many years it has been now, but it's been awhile.

We both started with Kabocha Squash Soup, which was also on the $65 menu. Essentially a pumpkin bisque, there was some type of bacon-like undertone coming out of these piping hot bowls, poured from a pitcher over some small garnishes - this simple gesture adds such an elegant touch to hot soups, and costs a restaurant almost nothing to do (except for prepping the garnishes). Every time I come across a restaurant that pours or ladles soup tableside, it warms my soul. As usual, Tom Power proved himself the peerless bisque-master - between Corduroy and Baby Wale, I almost can't imagine having a meal without soup, or chocolate, or both. Corduroy continues to have bread service, probably with Panorama baguettes, sliced, and served with lightly salted, high-quality butter. Needless to say, there was scarcely a droplet of soup remaining after the obligatory bread-swipe.

One big mistake I made was ordering the Filipino Spring Rolls ($6) in addition to the menu. It's certainly never a mistake to order these, but it was somewhat thoughtless because they weren't being served downstairs, and because only one other couple was at the bar (pssst - it'll probably be empty on New Year's Eve as well), we obligated the restaurant to use their deep fryer. It wasn't until after we were served that I realized: We were probably the only customers of the evening that got anything deep-fried, and Corduroy most likely lost money by serving these to us (sorry, Tom - I wasn't thinking). Well, anyway, they were just as wonderful as they always are, and Pete brought up two separate plates for us, each with a single Spring Roll, and he'd waited until after we had finished our soup, so it was like having another course each for *six dollars total*.

Matt got the Pork Belly with Tarbais Beans (from Tarbes, by the way), a scaled-down version of a cassoulet, and I got the Pan-Seared Salmon which was served just like Tom prepares his Big Eye Tuna - atop hijiki and sushi rice. We both traded small amounts, so I can verify that both of these courses were simple and delicious, the salmon in particular having a good, hot, crispy skillet-sear on the skin.

For dessert, Matt got the Flourless Chocolate Cake and I ordered the Pistachio Bread Pudding. I've had both of these desserts numerous times in the past, and I swear they were better on this evening than they've ever been. The cake was decadent, but weightless - for an eighteen-year-old not to finish all his chocolate cake during a holiday meal speaks volumes about just how much of a bargain this bar menu is - the pork belly in particular was an ample portion, weighed down by the tarbais beans. The bread pudding was just amazing - more like a soaked pound cake, I don't care how much you *think* you don't want bread pudding - just get this the next time you come. It's served with homemade ice cream and sabayon.

Corduroy's $30 prix-fixe bar menu is the best $30 meal in the DC area, and there is no real competition for this honor. To think that people still flock out during Restaurant Week to pay $5 *more* than this for inferior cuisine, well, the key word in this sentence is "think" - think about it. This meal was such an incredible value that I almost feel guilty for having ordered it. Almost.

• Like 7

I don't remember about the bar stools, but there are a few small tables in the bar.

Yes, but they're very low, and not optimal for eating off of. The bar chairs *do* have backs - I distinctly remember hanging my napkin on one of them. I can't guarantee the frame on the front of the seat won't clamp off your sciatic nerve, but there are bars on the bottoms of the chairs for you to rest your feet on unless you're *really* short.

• Like 1

Do the barstools have backs? If so, I need to go eat at the bar here. That's often the impediment for me.

I understand what you mean by those backless seats. Screw 'em.  The chairs at the bar are just that--tall chairs. I've always found them to be quite comfortable.

• Like 1

We had our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve, and stayed with the tried-and-true: Corduroy.

They were full, of course, but I knew that Matt and I would be able to walk right up to the bar and get a seat; what I didn't know is that, in addition to the $65 three-course Christmas Menu, Tom Power was offering his standard $30, three-course bar menu - so, because we sat at the bar, we were able to dine like kings at a pauper's ransom.

I began dinner with a glass of 2014 Haut Marin Côes de Gascogne ($9), a medium-bodied, somewhat aromatic white made with a blend of Colombard, Ugni Blanc, and Gros Manseng - it's a "humble" Vin de Pays which punches above its weight class. Normally, I would carp about paying $9 for a glass of wine from a bottle which you can buy for $9, but not in this situation - Corduroy continues to use excellent stemware (offering the diner a taste of wine before serving it), proper temperature control, and an extremely generous six-ounce pour. This, plus the fact that to find this wine required tasting through a hundred others - I'll pay nine dollars for this anytime, and a second glass took me the entire way through dinner. Matt got a non-alcoholic cocktail made with Ginger Beer and Lime ($4) as a base, and although I didn't taste it, he said it was wonderful.

After some waffling about whether to spring for the $65 three-course or stick with the $30 bar menu, we decided it made no financial sense to go with the Christmas menu - even though it offered more intricate and interesting courses, there was some overlap, and the primary difference for us would have been in the main courses - we were sitting at the bar, so we went ahead and took advantage of that fact. By the way, it's nice to see that some things don't change: Pete, the tall, handsome GM, is still at Corduroy - I'm not sure how many years it has been now, but it's been awhile.

We both started with Kabocha Squash Soup, which was also on the $65 menu. Essentially a pumpkin bisque, there was some type of bacon-like undertone coming out of these piping hot bowls, poured from a pitcher over some small garnishes - this simple gesture adds such an elegant touch to hot soups, and costs a restaurant almost nothing to do (except for prepping the garnishes). Every time I come across a restaurant that pours or ladles soup tableside, it warms my soul. As usual, Tom Power proved himself the peerless bisque-master - between Corduroy and Baby Wale, I almost can't imagine having a meal without soup, or chocolate, or both. Corduroy continues to have bread service, probably with Panorama baguettes, sliced, and served with lightly salted, high-quality butter. Needless to say, there was scarcely a droplet of soup remaining after the obligatory bread-swipe.

One big mistake I made was ordering the Filipino Spring Rolls ($6) in addition to the menu. It's certainly never a mistake to order these, but it was somewhat thoughtless because they weren't being served downstairs, and because only one other couple was at the bar (pssst - it'll probably be empty on New Year's Eve as well), we obligated the restaurant to use their deep fryer. It wasn't until after we were served that I realized: We were probably the only customers of the evening that got anything deep-fried, and Corduroy most likely lost money by serving these to us (sorry, Tom - I wasn't thinking). Well, anyway, they were just as wonderful as they always are, and Pete brought up two separate plates for us, each with a single Spring Roll, and he'd waited until after we had finished our soup, so it was like having another course each for *six dollars total*.

Matt got the Pork Belly with Tarbais Beans (from Tarbes, by the way), a scaled-down version of a cassoulet, and I got the Pan-Seared Salmon which was served just like Tom prepares his Big Eye Tuna - atop hijiki and sushi rice. We both traded small amounts, so I can verify that both of these courses were simple and delicious, the salmon in particular having a good, hot, crispy skillet-sear on the skin.

For dessert, Matt got the Flourless Chocolate Cake and I ordered the Pistachio Bread Pudding. I've had both of these desserts numerous times in the past, and I swear they were better on this evening than they've ever been. The cake was decadent, but weightless - for an eighteen-year-old not to finish all his chocolate cake during a holiday meal speaks volumes about just how much of a bargain this bar menu is - the pork belly in particular was an ample portion, weighed down by the tarbais beans. The bread pudding was just amazing - more like a soaked pound cake, I don't care how much you *think* you don't want bread pudding - just get this the next time you come. It's served with homemade ice cream and sabayon.

Corduroy's $30 prix-fixe bar menu is the best $30 meal in the DC area, and there is no real competition for this honor. To think that people still flock out during Restaurant Week to pay $5 *more* than this for inferior cuisine, well, the key word in this sentence is "think" - think about it. This meal was such an incredible value that I almost feel guilty for having ordered it. Almost.

MichaelBDC and I took Don's suggestion and headed to the bar at Corduroy for a New Year's Eve dinner. We arrived at 7pm and there was only one other couple at the bar. We stayed for three hours and I think only two other couples showed up. We were a little sad to see the bar so empty but it was nice to chat with Antonio and other Corduroy staff throughout our meal.

Both MichaelBDC and I enjoyed the three courses for $30 bar menu and supplemented that with three great cheeses -- a gouda (Beemster), a blue, and a stinky French cheese. The courses we ordered have been discussed on this thread before so there is not a need to go into detail about them. I just want to add that despite doing a lengthy New Years Eve tasting menu in the main dining room, our meal was perfectly executed and paced, a tribute to Tom Power and team. We had a great time from beginning to end. It was the perfect choice for our last meal of 2015.

• Like 2

MichaelBDC and I took Don's suggestion and headed to the bar at Corduroy for a New Year's Eve dinner. We arrived at 7pm and there was only one other couple at the bar. We stayed for three hours and I think only two other couples showed up. We were a little sad to see the bar so empty but it was nice to chat with Antonio and other Corduroy staff throughout our meal.

Both MichaelBDC and I enjoyed the three courses for $30 bar menu and supplemented that with three great cheeses -- a gouda (Beemster), a blue, and a stinky French cheese. The courses we ordered have been discussed on this thread before so there is not a need to go into detail about them. I just want to add that despite doing a lengthy New Years Eve tasting menu in the main dining room, our meal was perfectly executed and paced, a tribute to Tom Power and team. We had a great time from beginning to end. It was the perfect choice for our last meal of 2015.

You should have said "Hi" to us.

• Like 2

While @MichaelBDC and I have been enjoying the new eateries along 9th St. in Shaw recently, a really really rough week at work called for dinner in a relaxing atmosphere and good service along with comforting food so I requested the bar at Corduroy for dinner last Thursday. There were only four other people at the bar when we got there shortly after 7:30pm, a party of three and a solo diner. Michael and I sat in the corner, which unfortunately for me, was right under the AC vent. Fortunately for us, everything else about the evening was what we have come to expect from Tom Power and his team. 

I started with a gin and tonic made with Barr Hill gin, which I enjoyed more than the average g&t. MichaelBDC had a glass of wine. We ordered salads for our appetizers, the beet and goat cheese salad for me and the shiso salad for MichaelBDC. While mainstays on the menu, both of us wanted some vegetables and a nice cold salad to offset the heat and humidity of DC summer and the salads hit the spot. I ordered the softshell crab for my entree while MichaelBDC had the seared Ahi tuna with sushi rice, both winning dishes. I am a sucker for softshell crabs and this one was sauteed perfectly and served with a light salad. MichaelBDC raved about his tuna and was nice enough to give me a few bites. We wrapped up our meal with pistachio bread pudding and a trio of sorbets. 

The area two blocks north of Corduroy has had a great explosion of buzzy restaurants and bars over the past year, but we shouldn't forget that Corduroy was the first and only for a very long time and is still holding it down quite well. 

• Like 4

I've stopped myself from enjoying the 3 for $30 at Corduroy's bar a few times when I didn't want to have a drink with dinner.  Does anyone else feel obligated to get a drink when enjoying that special?  Do you think it would be rude/cheap to just have a water?  Assuming you tip well.

On 9/14/2016 at 3:49 PM, funkyfood said:

I've stopped myself from enjoying the 3 for $30 at Corduroy's bar a few times when I didn't want to have a drink with dinner.  Does anyone else feel obligated to get a drink when enjoying that special?  Do you think it would be rude/cheap to just have a water?  Assuming you tip well.

On 9/14/2016 at 4:07 PM, DaRiv18 said:

I think you are thinking about this more than the bartender would.  No one is going to question you having water at Corduroy's bar, you're thinking of other places.  Treat yourself!

Completely agree - I've also found in situations like this it helps to say something lighthearted, such as "just water, but don't worry, I'm a good tipper" - it helps ease any tension you might have. Keep in mind, Corduroy's bar is rarely full, and giving them $30 of business is giving them probably $10-15 in profit they otherwise wouldn't have, and also giving the bartender $6 (s)he wouldn't have.

I use the "best deal in town" superlative a bit too much, but this really *may be* the best deal in town - it's almost 20% less than Restaurant Week pricing, and you're dining at *Corduroy* (one of the most underrated restaurants in the city (did you notice that nobody complained that it didn't get a Michelin star?), and one which I've had ranked in Bold for longer than I can remember). It's primary weakness is that the menu doesn't change, but if you can live with that, you've got yourself a great meal.

• Like 3

Ah, so delicious.

We had dinner at the bar tonight for the husband's birthday. We didn't know the bartender, and failed to get her name, but she was lovely. The food was delicious (I had the bar menu, while he ordered off the regular menu.) I had a kir royale, he had a sazerac, then we had a bottle of delicious wine, of a variety we had never heard of - Marsanne - on the chef's recommendation.

We always say it's been too long since we ate there, and it's true - we should eat there more often. Everyone should!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, saf said:

Ah, so delicious.

We had dinner at the bar tonight for the husband's birthday. We didn't know the bartender, and failed to get her name, but she was lovely. The food was delicious (I had the bar menu, while he ordered off the regular menu.) I had a kir royale, he had a sazerac, then we had a bottle of delicious wine, of a variety we had never heard of - Marsanne - on the chef's recommendation.

We always say it's been too long since we ate there, and it's true - we should eat there more often. Everyone should!

Marsanne and Roussanne are the two classic, white, Southern Rhone Valley varietals - they're strong, fairly high in alcohol, and often grow in warmer climates (though they prove everyone wrong by overachieving in cooler ones). To some degree, the warm-climate versions lack finesse and come across as somewhat "gluey" (that's my own term).

Corduroy - which should absolutely have a Michelin star - has one flaw, and that is that the menu doesn't change enough - I overlook it because of its consistent excellence, but I believe the relatively unchanging menu costs it in people's minds. There's no right or wrong here - it is what it is, and I've had Corduroy ranked in Bold since I can remember.

For some, illogical reason, Corduroy seems *much* further away than when it was on 11th and K Street, but it isn't, and I need to get over this purely mental fallacy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Corduroy - which should absolutely have a Michelin star - has one flaw, and that is that the menu doesn't change enough - I overlook it because of its consistent excellence, but I believe the relatively unchanging menu costs it in people's minds. There's no right or wrong here - it is what it is, and I've had Corduroy ranked in Bold since I can remember.

For some, illogical reason, Corduroy seems *much* further away than when it was on 11th and K Street, but it isn't, and I need to get over this purely mental fallacy.

I find it closer, but then, I live on the green line.

Yes, I would like the menu to change a bit more. And I want the goat cheese in the potato cage back!

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this article:

DC Restaurant Hangs "You Need A Boyfriend" Sign Amid Feud With Neighbors.  Jessica Sidman for Washingtonian.

Cliff notes: resident in building behind Corduroy/Baby Wale complains about restaurants' garbage and calls health department.  Tom retaliates by hanging up sign.

Whining neighbor says Tom is "being a bully.”  Since no one knows who the sign is targeting, I'm not sure how Tom could be a bully.  Even if everything knows who Tom is targeting, I still don't see this as bullying.  If anything, the whiner is the one bullying a restaurant owner who has done no wrong. 

How do you effectively stop an anonymous person from calling the health department when you've complied with all the rules?  Short of closing the restaurant, which is what the complainer wants, you can't stop someone who wants you out of that space so he doesn't have a view of the back of a restaurant.

I suppose Tom's response may be viewed as unprofessional, Juvenile and petty, but it's also funny.

3 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

How do you effectively stop an anonymous person from calling the health department when you've complied with all the rules?  Short of closing the restaurant, which is what the complainer wants, you can't stop someone who wants you out of that space so he doesn't have a view of the back of a restaurant.

I suppose Tom's response may be viewed as unprofessional, Juvenile and petty, but it's also funny.

I'm not sure the best way to handle the matter, but I'm quite sure that Tom's approach is not it. 

• Like 1

I wonder if people have their knickers in a knot because they think this is some sort of "anti-gay" slur; it isn't. Tom may indeed know the person is gay, and wrote "boyfriend" for that very reason out of respect, because "You need a girlfriend!" *would* have been anti-gay (think about it). Okay, maybe no signage at all would have been the highest road - granted.

Still, Tom Power is on the correct side of this particular issue.

He also owns the building housing Corduroy (check if you don't believe me), and was *the* pioneer in the revitalization of this block - there was a time, not many years ago, when every other building on this block was completely run-down except for this one.

Whatever reasons you have for being confident he is correct, it doesn't make his response right.  Especially (but not just because) when you have a neighborhood place (and regardless of what he thinks, this story illustrates he clearly does), doing right is more important than being right.   

13 minutes ago, Pizzaandbrew said:

Whatever reasons you have for being confident he is correct, it doesn't make his response right.  Especially (but not just because) when you have a neighborhood place (and regardless of what he thinks, this story illustrates he clearly does), doing right is more important than being right.   

I'm not saying his response is right; I'm just saying it's not anti-gay (just in case some people think it is). 

Corduroy is not a neighborhood restaurant; it's a Convention Center restaurant (why do you think he bought the property?)

12 minutes ago, funkyfood said:

Setting aside the lameness of the response, does he expect that approach to work? The angry neighbor does not sound like someone who is willing to back down when pushed back upon.  If anything, it will likely make him angrier.  

Define "work." We've gotten more Corduroy posts here in the past day than we've had in the past year. :)

Have you ever heard of Tom Power doing anything like this before? Ever? You haven't, because he's a good person - he was pushed past his limit. I'm not saying it was right, or even close to being right, but this reminds me that I need to rewatch "Straw Dogs."

By the way, when's the last time you all have visited our FILM FORUM?!?!?! :blink::rolleyes::wub:

7 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I'm not saying his response is right; I'm just saying it's not anti-gay (just in case some people think it is). 

Corduroy is not a neighborhood restaurant; it's a Convention Center restaurant (why do you think he bought the property?)

Define "work." We've gotten more Corduroy posts here in the past day than we've had in the past year. :)

I'm less likely to go to corduroy than I was this morning

The restaurant clearly has neighbors who see the restaurant as one.  I've operated in Glover Park, Barracks Row and 14th Street.  The people around you might not be your biggest customers but if you don't treat them as you would someone who lives next door to you, right or wrong, you're in for trouble.  

12 minutes ago, funkyfood said:

I'm less likely to go to corduroy than I was this morning

As the kids say, "Boom!".  The folks coming to the convention center are in and out of town. They don't show up at ANC hearings and they don't call the Health Department.  Your neighbors do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Have you ever heard of Tom Power doing anything like this before? Ever? You haven't, because he's a good person - he was pushed past his limit. I'm not saying it was right, or even close to being right, but this reminds me that I need to rewatch "Straw Dogs."

Well, there was that kerfuffle some years ago with the BYOers from the Robert Parker wine board that got rather heated (I'd link to it, but it's behind a paywall now...)

Is everyone going to understand he was "targeted" or get his humor?  I have the utmost respect for his food and his restaurant.  In this forum, just questioning what the ROI on a neighborhood argument is?  Don's comment about hits on donrockwell today may indicate "all news is good news" and could very well be right.  Simply offering a different perspective.

I don't think the approach he was very business smart. However, it is entirely possible he lost his cool about this when he had to deal with the 8767th complaint called in about his restaurant. Everyone has a breaking point and can lose their cool. It appears he did so here.

That being said, I like the food and my experience at Corduroy. When I feel like it, I'll still go there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, eatruneat said:

That is too bad because summer is probably the best time to try Tom Power's cooking

The only problem with going to Corduroy in summer is the no shorts rule. It keeps us from being able to stop in without going home to change.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:34 PM, saf said:

The only problem with going to Corduroy in summer is the no shorts rule. It keeps us from being able to stop in without going home to change.

I gave up on the dress code this Summer. It was a losing battle.  Everyone is welcome to dine in shorts. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Tom Power said:

I gave up on the dress code this Summer. It was a losing battle.  Everyone is welcome to dine in shorts. 

We're becoming more like a stiff Seattle everyday. :) 

Tom, I must say that your cuisine and atmosphere really are deserving of dressing up for; it's just that everyone's tired at the end of the day, and nobody feels like dressing up. I've always felt comfortable sitting at your bar in jeans; it's the parking that has kept me away more than anything - that said, I'll see you soon.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Tom, I must say that your cuisine and atmosphere really are deserving of dressing up for; it's just that everyone's tired at the end of the day, and nobody feels like dressing up. I've always felt comfortable sitting at your bar in jeans; it's the parking that has kept me away more than anything - that said, I'll see you soon.

Couldn't agree more, Don - Tom's cuisine and Corduroy are worth making an effort for. If "dressing up" now constitutes "more than shorts/ tshirts", we have well and truly lowered the bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2017 at 8:03 AM, DonRocks said:

We generally never have a problem finding parking most times. And I never have a problem coming in with nice jeans and an excellent Hawaiian shirt on. :)

Since getting engaged in August, @MichaelBDC and I have taken a bit of a dining out hiatus in order to fund a day of celebration with a side of legal maters. But we popped out of dining hibernation and into Corduroy for a little birthday celebration. Red snapper bisque, seared tuna on top of sushi rice, and pistachio bread pudding for me. I lucked out as the kitchen was out of salmon which is what is usually served with on the bar menu so had to settle for tuna instead. Despite this, I found a way to carry on. Loved every bite, especially the red snapper bisque, which I would be happy to eat every day. I also got a couple bites of @MichaelBDC's mushroom fettuccine, which I really enjoyed. Sprung for a bottle of Cristom Pinot Noir after champagne to start. Thirty six is going to be a good year. Happy to get it off to a tasty start at one of our favorite places.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, eatruneat said:

Since getting engaged in August, @MichaelBDC and I have taken a bit of a dining out hiatus in order to fund a day of celebration with a side of legal maters. But we popped out of dining hibernation and into Corduroy for a little birthday celebration. Red snapper bisque, seared tuna on top of sushi rice, and pistachio bread pudding for me. I lucked out as the kitchen was out of salmon which is what is usually served with on the bar menu so had to settle for tuna instead. Despite this, I found a way to carry on. Loved every bite, especially the red snapper bisque, which I would be happy to eat every day. I also got a couple bites of @MichaelBDC's mushroom fettuccine, which I really enjoyed. Sprung for a bottle of Cristom Pinot Noir after champagne to start. Thirty six is going to be a good year. Happy to get it off to a tasty start at one of our favorite places.

Cristom! That is a *fine* American Pinot Noir.

I've been thinking about Corduroy *so much* lately - this is the longest stretch of time I've ever gone without setting foot into the restaurant (I've been to Baby Wale 2-3 times since I was last at Corduroy).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eatruneat said:

Congratulations on your engagement! It's been way too long since I've been to Corduroy.  The seared tuna with hijiki rice is one my favorite dishes of all time.

• Like 1

I always knew @Tom Power was the most clever, but now that I know @Mark Slater is the Ops Mgr, this confirms what I have known from the moment I walked into the restaurant that was formerly on the second floor of the Four Points. Chef is a genius. Every time I am in the District, I always make it a point to stop and see Chef to catch up, and have a meal. No matter if its having the exquisite dried scallop chawanmushi, or a skillet fried Jersey dog that can be devoured next door at Baby Wale, it is always aces. Now with Slater leading the roost,  I hope this means there were will be amazing wine dinners. 

• Like 5

DC Eater  list of places to eat near the Convention Center. I am loving the attention Corduroy is getting. In my opinion, it has always been #1 for me. But in previous posts I may just be a little biased . I once worked for Chef, and consider him top knotch. I mean 17 years ain’t to shabby. I think on his 20th year there should be a celebration? What do you say @Tom Power

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 10:01 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

Now with Slater leading the roost,  I hope this means there were will be amazing wine dinners. 

This right here.  Good wine dinners are becoming more and more scarce as far as I can tell.

• Like 1