50 responses and nobody has mentioned the steak and cheese at Ray's to the Third?

Actually, it was mentioned in the 50th response (yours). :)

I can't get beyond the "Nice and Greasy, Steak and Cheesy" name, and I suspect I'm not alone. Based on track record, there's no doubt it's a very tasty sandwich, but why not just name it "Something That You'll Be Shitting Tomorrow?" #marketingfail

• Like 1

For the Arlington section of DC I vote for Earl's on any variety sandwich with fresh roasted turkey.  Eat one of those and it feels like Thanksgiving!!!

Earl's can't be mentioned enough, especially the Ballston location.

I'm not sure if you were being a little wry (a litteri?), but I believe they now have a permanent turkey-and-stuffing sandwich. I've had it, and find it to contain weigh two many carbohydrates (I don't need stuffing as a sandwich component, especially if I'm having chips or fries), but both their roast turkey and roast pork are quite good, and I'm still loyal to the Roasted Earl which I first tried almost ten years ago. Their Roast Beef and Cheddar is also very good, and simple, unless you Route 66 it.

I haven't been to either SunDeVich or G Sandwich in over a year now, but a recent visit to Kapnos had me thinking, "Gee (pun intended), this wood-roasted spiced baby goat I just paid $17 for would be a *heck* of a lot better (and cheaper) between two pieces of bread with some sauce on it to counteract all the blandness and dryness - seriously, it would have been a perfect sandwich meat; as a standalone, it was Dullsville.

50 responses and nobody has mentioned the steak and cheese at Ray's to the Third?

I enjoy the steak and cheese at Ray's to the third.  I'm sure I've had 10 -20, which is a vote with my pocket, isn't it?  I recall having one that for lack of a better description, seemed "gloppy".  Then I had quite a few afterwards.  Always delicious, filling, top notch tastes.  Have a shake with them.  For me, it takes me back to my youth and any one of a number of beach/ocean destinations.  No sand or ocean or waves at Ray's but the quality of the food and drink is infinitely better than at any of those beach type destinations.

I haven't been to either SunDeVich or G Sandwich in over a year now, but a recent visit to Kapnos had me thinking, "Gee (pun intended), this wood-roasted spiced baby goat I just paid $17 for would be a *heck* of a lot better (and cheaper) between two pieces of bread with some sauce on it to counteract all the blandness and dryness - seriously, it would have been a perfect sandwich meat; as a standalone, it was Dullsville.

At lunch time you can get the lamb in a "gyro" and it is huge.  My only problem is it is so big it's a little unwieldy, but that lamb is darn good.  Don't know why you can't get the sandwiches at night, it's the same pita they already make, same lamb etc.

I almost started another topic, but I'll bury this here....Washington DC and the surrounding environs just don't have really good sandwiches.

I was biting into a "Cuban" today at Clyde's of Reston, and it was middlin' at best. Braised shredded pork instead of sliced roasted pork, ciabata instead of a righteous Cuban bun, and flaccid fries on the side....why even call it a Cuban?

Then there's the Philly Cheese Steak, the Philly Italian Sub, the Philly Italian Pork, and the Philly Schmitter....we're two frickin' hours away from Philly, and we can't get some of the best sandwiches on the East Coast?

Then there's the Muffuletta, one of the best sandwiches in the country, and we would be hard-pressed to find a good one in our area. Same with the Po' Boy.

New York delis? Real ones, with piled high pastrami? Not in our area.

WHy are we so barren when it comes to the great American sandwich? Yes, we have lots of pretenders, and yes, we rave when one of them actually creates a decent sandwich that would be laughed at in the major sandwich cities.

What do we have to do?

I was biting into a "Cuban" today at Clyde's of Reston, and it was middlin' at best. Braised shredded pork instead of sliced roasted pork, ciabata instead of a righteous Cuban bun, and flaccid fries on the side....why even call it a Cuban?

What do we have to do?

I'd start by ordering a Cubano from a Cuban restaurant... ;)

• Like 3

I'd start by ordering a Cubano from a Cuban restaurant...  ;)

So I should probably back up my (good-natured) snarkiness with some actual suggestions. I've been very pleased with all the food at Mi Cuba Cafe in Columbia Heights, including the Cubano.

And for days when I'm working in MD, I've had luck at Cuba de Ayer.

• Like 2

I almost started another topic, but I'll bury this here....Washington DC and the surrounding environs just don't have really good sandwiches.

Then there's the Philly Cheese Steak, the Philly Italian Sub, the Philly Italian Pork, and the Philly Schmitter....we're two frickin' hours away from Philly, and we can't get some of the best sandwiches on the East Coast?

Then there's the Muffuletta, one of the best sandwiches in the country, and we would be hard-pressed to find a good one in our area. Same with the Po' Boy.

WHy are we so barren when it comes to the great American sandwich? Yes, we have lots of pretenders, and yes, we rave when one of them actually creates a decent sandwich that would be laughed at in the major sandwich cities.

What do we have to do?

I have to respectfully disagree.  I wouldn't have been at all surprised to get a mediocre Cubano at Clyde's, and frankly I don't know where to send you for a good one (but JoshNE appears to have come through for you).  But what about Bayou Bakery for a muffuletta?  Mangialardo & Sons and A. Litteri for Italian subs?  DCity Smokehouse for a BBQ brisket sandwich?  DGS for a reuben (or any number of sandwiches - they had an amazing chicken sandwich on the menu for a while that I loved)?  Stoney's for a super grilled cheese?  Duke's?  Earl's?

I feel like DC actually has a TON of great sandwiches.  Maybe there isn't a traditional philly cheese steak or po'boy that would stand up against versions in Philly or New Orleans respectively, but to say that DC and its neighbors "just don't have really good sandwiches"?  Come on.

• Like 7

How about G Sandwich at 14th & W?  I've had many mighty fine sandwiches there.  The meats are wood-roasted at Kapnos next door.  They even have a Cubano, which maybe couldn't best a Cuban sandwich in Miami, but I guarantee you is 100x better than any Cuban sandwich at Clydes.  

• Like 1

I'll reemphasize Earl's.   The bar school is about one block from the Courthouse/Clarendon location.  Several staffers love it, I love it and we often recommend it to visitors and students.  I can vouch that the last three times I suggested it to students and got feedback they all raved about it with two people from Front Royal or further out specifically raving about the fresh roasted turkey.

I usually get one of the standards, but will occasionally opt for one of their new experiments.  I've found the various experiments to be hit or miss without being able to pinpoint any in particular over the years.

What do we have to do?

I had an outstanding roast pork with broccoli rabe from Bub & Pop's last week. Finally made it in after my roommate raving about the place, and it was well worth the $8 - huge sandwich (I got a half, can't imagine finishing one of the whole sandwiches that I saw coming out of the kitchen) with thinly shaved provolone and a nice nut-based gremolata to crunch it up. Son and mom were running the show that day, and both couldn't have been more kind. This is a great sandwich shop, and one that folks working downtown should definitely hit up.

Cheers!

• Like 1

So for the last 14 years I've been getting sandwiches at the Dupont Market, 18th and Swann. The hot #5 is a perennial favorite with the spouse; I tend to vacillate between the Humberto (turkey, swiss, sprouts, avocado, lemon juice, salt on toasted ciabatta) and the Chicken Burrito. The ciabatta doesn't seem to be quite an authentic ciabatta, but it *is* freaking delicious as a sandwich base. If it's a slow day they might sell you a bag of the bread, but I wouldn't bet on it. No idea who the purveyor is. There are a couple of tables and chairs out front where you can eat if the weather is nice, otherwise it's take-out.

• Like 3

Stachowski's sandwiches are something to write home about.

Totally forgot about that.  The pastrami sandwich there is indeed "piled high" like a NY deli.  One of those sandwiches fed me for 3 meals.  The quality of the pastrami is stellar.  

Ha ha.  How true in both cases.  They are excellent, they are huge, they are not inexpensive, to repeat they are excellent, and they do last for more than one day.

Like others who responded, this is a lame generalization. It may be a shame you have to search out for good sandwiches, but DC has them plenty. I mean read through this thread - some really good stuff. Last week had excellent falafel at Yafa Grille on 19th st downtown (now moved up better in my opinion than Amsterdam Falafel since the former has fresh pillowly baked in house pita and the latter has dreck pita these days) and wonderful lamb gyro at G Sandwich.  G Sandwich is really a stand out stuff - great breads, fresh meat, nice blend of flavors and often a nice herbal touch - my other go to hear besides the lamb is the goat sandwich.