Momofuku Milk Bar (2011) - Dessert Cookbook by Christina Tosi, Co-Owner of Momofuku Milk Bar and 2015 James Beard Award Winner

sheldman

I got this cookbook and it reads really well - but haven't made the time to try any of the recipes yet. Has anybody made anything from it, with or without success?

My friend, who is a pastry chef, made the recipes that were posted online about two years ago. He made the crack pie and the blueberries or peaches (?) and cream cookies. I think the recipes themselves work correctly from a technical point of view. I can't compare to Milk Bar itself, but I wasn't in love with the results. We both found the crack pie to be overwhelmingly sweet, especially when served hot as recommended (but this obviously tempers when it is cooled). (He ended up doing another batch with less sugar, and cherries and balsamic as the filling.) I enjoyed the cookies, but the white chocolate can be a bit much if you aren't a white chocolate fan to begin with.

I've made crack pie a couple of times--using sucanat instead of light brown sugar, and I thought it was fabulous. A friend sent me a "Frankenpie" sampler of the various pies they make. Probably not representative of the desserts made fresh, but I liked the grasshopper pie. I thought my crack pie was better than theirs.

By the way, I would *love it* if people here would start threads about stars at their high schools, regardless of sport. What a cool way to acknowledge them - they'll find the thread on Google within a year, I promise you. They don't need to be famous - this forum will be indexed one day, so it won't be like searching through a library without the Dewey Decimal System. Go ahead! Brag about your hometown sports heroes! Why not?

Not my high school, but my children's high school, right here in good ol' Springfield, is Robert E. Lee ... and not sports, but cooking (and baking) ... Christina Tosi graduated from Lee High School in '99, is now co-owner of Momofuku Milk Bar with David Chang, stars alongside Gordon Ramsay on MasterChef, and is still a rising star in the food world.

Not my high school, but my children's high school, right here in good ol' Springfield, is Robert E. Lee ... and not sports, but cooking (and baking) ... Christina Tosi graduated from Lee High School in '99, is now co-owner of Momofuku Milk Bar with David Chang, stars alongside Gordon Ramsay on MasterChef, and is still a rising star in the food world.

Tosi also won the 2012 James Beard Award for "Rising Star Chef of the Year" and the 2015 James Beard Award for "Outstanding Pastry Chef," both national awards.

"Gala Chef Q&A: JBF Award Winner Christina Tosi" on jamesbeard.org

I enjoyed reading her latest cookbook, "Milk Bar Life," which had a smidgen of memoirish feel, as she talks a little in each chapter about things like foods she grew up on, what they eat at Momofuku while working, etc.

Haven't tried to cook anything from it, though (got it from the library).  She says in the book that these are easier and quicker recipes than in Momofuku Milk Bar, and they certainly appeared to be doable without needing a ton of skill or patience.