Red Rooster, Upscale Comfort Food in Harlem - Chef Mark Gandara Replaces Michael Garrett

Has anyone tried Red Rooster? I'm wondering how large the portions are and how the fried chicken compares to what the Ray's empire puts out locally.

Thanks!

I'm not sure who these people are, but I know they're local, they seem to be popular, and the pictures are good: Red Rooster Brunch by Ally on bitcheswhobrunch.com

Historical Timeline, Sort Of

Marcus Samuelsson and Andrew Chapman opened Red Rooster in October, 2010, with Andrea Bergquist as the Chef de Cuisine.

Michael Garrett replaced Andrea Bergquist as Chef de Cuisine (they call it "Executive Chef") on May 31, 2011.

Michael Garrett departed in 2013, and is now an instructor at the ICE (Institute of Culinary Education).

I *think* Mark Gandara is now the Chef de Cuisine (this, according to their Facebook page), but compared to the press that Michael Garrett received in 2011, there is virtually nothing I can find on the internet heralding the arrival of Gandara. What gives with this?

So funny to see this back at the top.  I can tell you that I remember enjoying my 2011 meal there although not enough to come and report back.

Or to go back since...

At the core, it's just a neighborhood restaurant with tons of PR, right?

How was the fried chicken? I've thought about trying it - if I'm already in Manhattan, is it worth trekking to Harlem for?

At the core, it's just a neighborhood restaurant with tons of PR, right?

How was the fried chicken? I've thought about trying it - if I'm already in Manhattan, is it worth trekking to Harlem for?

I think that is exactly right--it has excellent PR and a celebrity chef/owner.

If you have a hankering for fried chicken, and the time to make the trip, then go for it.  It is lovely.  But it is in a city filled with lovely restaurants.