Drinks / Food in Friendship Heights

DavidO

We're planning on meeting some friends for a movie in Friendship Heights and I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a place within walking distance where we could get a drink afterwards, or maybe a drink plus a bit of dinner. Has the small plates trend taken over anywhere there yet?

Since you mention movie, I'm assuming you mean the Mazza Gallerie area.

Indique Heights is caddy-corner to the mall on the 2nd floor of an office building. They have a full bar and a whole array of small plates. Definitely worth a stop in - I love this place. They're not open super-late, though - what time does your movie end?

Just across Western from the mall is the Tasting Room Wine Bar. Open a fair bit later than Indique Heights, but the food is just meh. Wine and beer - no hard liquor.

Thanks! I did mean Mazza Gallery. I thought of Lia's but to be honest I've only eaten brunch outside there and wasn't sure what the bar was like. Indique Heights sounds like a great option too (the movie gets out around 7 pm on a Sunday)-- is it in that space above the metro/bus stop? (I almost asked who is the current tenant of that space.)

Thanks! I did mean Mazza Gallery. I thought of Lia's but to be honest I've only eaten brunch outside there and wasn't sure what the bar was like. Indique Heights sounds like a great option too (the movie gets out around 7 pm on a Sunday)-- is it in that space above the metro/bus stop? (I almost asked who is the current tenant of that space.)

Yes. Get the lamb chops!

Indique Heights is caddy-corner to the mall on the 2nd floor of an office building. They have a full bar and a whole array of small plates. Definitely worth a stop in - I love this place.

Indique Heights is right up there

Really? I found I.H. to be lackluster at best, but then I never cared for Indique, either. DavidO, I know you said walking distance but if you decide you really want Indian, hop on the Metro and go one stop south to Masala Art.

Don't laugh. OK, go ahead and laugh. But we had three very good meals in the restaurant in the lobby of the Courtyard by Marriott, at the northern end of Friendship Heights (across from Saks). The menu is mostly simple, comfort food, but everything was well-prepared. We ate there because my elderly mother was visiting and she can't handle our stairs (thank goodness). The Reuben was absolutely terrific and all three of us thought the fries were among the best we'd ever had. Right now, I see only a turkey reuben on the menu. This was a regular (corned beef) reuben. They were hot, crisp, and not a bit of excess oil. Someone there really knows how to fry. The french fries were fantastic. They stayed crisp even as they cooled. It was a comfortable setting, fairly quiet, and because it was not busy, we were able to sit and talk as long as we liked. I can't recall what we ate for the other dinner (the third meal was breakfast; it was fine) but I do remember saying that it was really much better than one would expect for a hotel restaurant and that we all really enjoyed it.

Don't laugh. OK, go ahead and laugh. But we had three very good meals in the restaurant in the lobby of the Courtyard by Marriott, at the northern end of Friendship Heights (across from Saks). The menu is mostly simple, comfort food, but everything was well-prepared. We ate there because my elderly mother was visiting and she can't handle our stairs (thank goodness). The Reuben was absolutely terrific and all three of us thought the fries were among the best we'd ever had. Right now, I see only a turkey reuben on the menu. This was a regular (corned beef) reuben. They were hot, crisp, and not a bit of excess oil. Someone there really knows how to fry. They stayed crisp even as they cooled. It was a comfortable setting, fairly quiet, and because it was not busy, we were able to sit and talk as long as we liked. I can't recall what we ate for the other dinner (the third meal was breakfast; it was fine) but I do remember saying that it was really much better than one would expect for a hotel restaurant and that we all really enjoyed it.

Not laughing at all, and the tip is much appreciated. You know, sometimes all it takes is one, unpublicized kitchen employee who can cook circles around the majority of the "known" chefs in the city (who spend much of their time during service conducting the orchestra). Your Reuben sounds awesome to me right about now.

It's amusing to me how territorial owners are about talented line cooks (and even dishwashers). It's like having a great offensive lineman on your football team. These people are very underpaid.