Heller's Bakery, Mount Pleasant Avenue in Mount Pleasant - Open Since the 1920's - Closed Dec 28, 2014

Surprised there is not topic on Heller's. I used to get food from here now and again, and actually just bought a german chocolate cake there two weeks ago for my father's birthday. The cake was very good, and I thought i would start buying my cakes there.

But, after having seen this PoP post about extreme mold in their cakes, I think I have sworn them off permanently...

I was willing to put up with surly service and mediocre bread to support a local business. But, ew, gross!

Heller's website says that they opened in 1922, but their logo says "since 1928." Does anyone know which is correct? Didn't this place close a few years ago due to fire? I'm trying to piece together its history for the Oldest Restaurants thread (including whether or not they've changed locations).

I thought sure there was a thread on Heller's also, but I guess it had simply been mentioned in various other threads over the years.

Closing.  It really sucked, so I am not surprised.  I live two blocks away, and would have been a regular if their service and execution had been anything more than horrible.  PLEASE, someone, this is an excellent space for a great locally owned restaurant or bakery. PLEASE take it over!

Once upon a time, it was a good bakery.

In the late 80s, we lived in the neighborhood. When we got married in 1988, our very good cake came from there. (Rehearsal dinner at Petitio's. Tuxes from Woodies. Cake from Hellers. Well, at least the florist who did our wedding still exists.)

• Like 1

The Heller’s location has reopened under the ownership of the Room 11 group. I just stopped in for the soft opening for a coffee (nitro cold brew, $4.50) and a guava turnover (delicious, like $2 or so).

Breads and savorys coming next week. The space is amazing. I’m very excited to have this two blocks away and I think it’s going to change Mt Pleasant street for the better. 

Don, probably should start a thread for Ellē, which I (and Washingtonian) anticipate is going to become hot.