Union Market - Public Market on 5th Street and Neal Place NE in Brentwood

sheldman

I believe the vendor is called Purée and I don't think it's a pop-up. They do wheatgrass shots and who knows what else, I haven't really explored them. They are now near Harvey's Mkt in the back. Regarding breakfast, brunch and lunch, I don't really think they are representing the market that way, you certainly can't get omelettes there. Regarding Pellegrine selling juice, I can't name a ICH that sells juice, though I'm sure there must be a couple. Regarding Neopol selling juice, they are probably your best bet. There are plenty of strollers that visit UM, I'm sure the kids would also like juice options too. Finally, I don't get the sense that anyone will kick you out if you BYOJ. The tables (not bars or communal tables) are cleaned by the UM cleaning staff, not any individual vendor.

Tacked on to the end of a City Paper post on the fate of the late Capital City Diner is this blurb on an upcoming fishmonger addition to UM. Sounds promising. Anybody have experience with the farmers market truck in this area?

In other Union Market news, former fisherman Vernon Lingenfelter, who supplies Baltimore's Woodberry Kitchen
with seafood, will open a permanent seafood stall in the near future.
Lingenfelter also has a seafood truck that visits local farmers markets.
Expect it to pop up at Union Market in the coming week or two.

Peregrine has now expanded their hours to open at 8:00am on Wed-Sun, so I often stop in for a coffee mid-morning. The last two months I've also had several lunches at Union Market. The place isn't nearly as busy as on the weekends, but it can still pop for one-off events like Boogie Babies. Seems to be mostly a neighborhoody and Gallaudet crowd there, perhaps some office traffic.

I actually prefer the non-weekends or Sunday nights at Union Market, the secret is definitely out and it has become more of a weekend brunch option it seems for many. Red Apron has definitely added another quality venue that serves adult beverages. One member who I bumped into here on a Sunday afternoon said he felt it was a "total meat market", which I thought was not totally accurate but still true in isolated examples.

It was busy last Saturday. I will note it would be nice if there was somewhere you could get some veggie dishes/side dishes. Luckily Red Apron had San Pelligrino sodas as my Mom wasn't really into trying something she wasn't very familiar with. We got chili and a lamb sausage sandwich from Border Springs. Those were both good, but left me wanting like a little side salad or veg of some sort. Next time I want to try the Red Apron sandwiches. But the Border Springs sausage was so good, if I didn't have a full fridge I would have bought some to take home with me.

Red Apron has a nice selection of pre-made sides. Last time I came home with pickled potato salad and some sort of grilled green beans to have alongside my steak. They were both delicious. They sell them by weight like they do in Whole Foods, Wegman's, etc.

Red Apron has a nice selection of pre-made sides. Last time I came home with pickled potato salad and some sort of grilled green beans to have alongside my steak. They were both delicious. They sell them by weight like they do in Whole Foods, Wegman's, etc.

When I was there they had a potato salad and then another salad that appeared to have barley or farro, they both looked good, but neither had the veg I was looking for. It was really busy so maybe they were our of the green bean one, that would have been really good, I love green beans.

The exit of Border Springs Farm from Union Market and the upcoming entrance of Ris Lacoste prompts me to confess something that I've been thinking for a long time: I don't get this place. I feel like a dumbass saying that, but Steve Boyle's comment, "The point is we're trying to create this experience for people around food," suggests to me that they're a rather vague about it as well. Living on the Hill, I'm not all that far from it, but so far have only visited a couple of times, and left empty-handed/-stomached each time. As a place to dine, it doesn't strike me as all that appealing (and I don't think the "food court" description is all that far off the mark, despite Boyle's demurral). As a place to shop for food or food-related items, it's pricey and doesn't feel like it's worth the hike, except maybe for a few exclusive items, when I have other good and less expensive options closer by. The "local artisans" description would be fine, yet nothing about it seems "local" at all. Indeed, it feels utterly disconnected from the larger NE neighborhood where it's located, except for its gentrifying elements. A "destination" food center? An "evolving urban village"? Am I the only out there who feels confused/dismayed by this place? (The fact that this thread has had no posts since January, and only some sporadic posts for individual vendors, suggests that perhaps it hasn't taken hold among the DR.com community as well.)

• Like 1

Well, I won't claim to represent the DR.com community as a whole, but Union Market has definitely taken hold in my household. I probably visit Union Market about once a week. I love having lunch there on weekends, particularly at Rappahannock Oyster Bar, but I also enjoy having a sandwich and a beer at Red Apron, or the Smoked Salmon BLT from Neopol (which is one of the best sandwiches in the entire city in my opinion). But the reason I'm there as often as I am is to shop for food, not to eat there. I use Harvey's and Red Apron as my primary butchers, I buy my bread from Lyon, we buy our milk and butter (and sometimes eggs) from Trickling Springs, I buy most of my cheese at Righteous Cheese, and I buy some of my coffee at Peregrine.  Sometimes these are longer, more leisurely trips on the weekends which include lunch and a glass of wine, but I'll also metro there on a Thursday to pick up something quickly to make for dinner that night (I will also occasionally use Eastern Market for this same purpose).

It is still very much an evolving space (they are apparently quite close to finally securing a seafood vendor, which will make a huge difference), there are definitely shops/spots that I never end up purchasing things from, and there are some definite holes that they need to fill to make it a more complete experience. Outside of the seafood vendor, they could definitely stand to have more produce (although they've added a second stand inside and they do have the Farmer's Market outside on Sundays which helps a ton). I would also love it if they had somewhere where I could just buy some basic staples if I realize that I'm out of sugar and don't want to add a stop at the grocery store to my trip.  But I believe that it has been improving every month since opening, and I think that all of these holes/flaws are fixable.

On the Border Springs issue specifically, I was sorry to see them go. But at the same time, they were in the weird position, and had somewhat of a weird display. They had a very small butcher case, and were selling many items that were also available at Harvey's across the room. They appeared to do a relatively robust business selling prepared sandwiches and such, but this apparently wasn't their goal. I wish them the best elsewhere, and I hope that Union Market fills that spot with another great vendor.

• Like 1

That's an interesting perspective. Perhaps I would feel more like that if I lived somewhat closer. I think my perplexity stems from the sense that I'm just not the target audience for this place, and thus I'm not quite sure what or who that audience is--I just sense that I'm not it. And when I say it doesn't seem that appealing as a place to eat, that's not a comment on the food itself, much of which looks good, but the space. But then again, I'm not one who often eats lunch on weekends, which is when I've visited.

When I'm in town, it's rare when I dont stop by UM when its open. I live in the neighborhood too so theres that. But I love it and think it is disinctive. I think "target audience" isnt right, I feel they are trying somethng new and seeing where it's going. I think it is exciting.

In a couple years, the space/feel will be totally different so i am not worried about that. I understand the current UM building will be demolished and EDENS will locate a bigger version in the high-rise to be built in the current parking lot. Plus that whole warehouse district will soon be gentrified.

The "target audience" of UM is like describing the "target audience" of a baseball game at a ballpark. I dont think they are trying to narrow in on certain demographics. When I go, i see alot of people who want to relax with food and drinks. Young families, food geeks, cafe drinkers. I hit the sales and buy most of my groceries there, and enjoy a cocktail as I shop and chat with neighbors and visiting friends. Black, white, gay, straight, flush, lean--I feel they all hang there?

We find ourselves at UM at least once a week, usually on a weekend morning to get coffee and browse about.  The only grocery shopping we really do there is at Harvey's (if we ate more red meat I'd probably add Red Apron).  That and the occasional purchase at Righteous Cheese.  There was talk several months back (of course I can't find the link now, and Google is failing me) that Spike Gjerde was going to have a hand in a locally-focused seafood stall which would be incredible, but with the work he's doing on the Food Hub that may be off the table.  That and a competing produce stand would get us in to shop more often during the week.

Even with the disappointment over the retail selection I'm really happy to spend my money there in other ways.  And judging by the crowds EVERY single time we're there others agree.  At first I groaned at the kitschy temporary-lawn-and-cocktail-trailer Suburbia gimmick.  That was before last Saturday's afternoon spent relaxing and drinking amidst other families and groups of friends hanging out in the perfect weather.  You can even buy wine or six packs from the retailer inside and do your own picnic lunch as we saw lots of people doing.  You'll know where to find us this weekend!

This all reminds me that it's time for me to get back to Union Market. :P

My contribution to this? I love it, I don't live near it (I live in Laurel, MD) so I don't get there as often as I like, but I do get there when I can, whether that's making an occasional special trip just to go there or because I realize I'm leaving the city via NY Ave and could "pop in" and pick up something (last time I did that, I spent about an hour eating adn tasting wine and buying a bunch of stuff).

Why I love it changes every time I visit, maybe that's part of the appeal. One time it will be the really good food & wine at Rappahannock, the next time I won't have time or money for that so it will be the pates at Red Apron, which I had never gotten around to trying before.

The one slightly negative thing I will say, the store at the far end has a lot of really nice offerings, but they're very overpriced as are the spices at the spice stand, so I don't buy from them unfortunately.

As for the local thing, there are two kinds of local - locally grown/raised food and things made my local businesses. I would prefer both, but I'm willing to support either. Seems like Ris Lacoste, while not sourcing their food locally will still be supporting a local business and will give additional prepared food options. Works for me, especially since I don't like lamb! :)

the upcoming entrance of Ris Lacoste prompts me to confess something that I've been thinking for a long time: I don't get this place. I feel like a dumbass saying that, ... but so far have only visited a couple of

times, and left empty-handed/-stomached each time.

i should preface this by saying that i've only been there twice, and that was fairly early on, not recently. But my feelings are similar. i wasn't overly impressed by most of the products sold, and the ones i liked were quite pricey. as for your asking about who the intended audience is, maybe it's the same as glen's garden market's? both are shopping/dining hybrids, which seem to me to be geared towards people who highly value locally produced products and are willing to pay a premium for them. however, the place seems to be a huge success and to make a large number of people happy, which is great, and hopefully its success will lead to more investment in similar ventures, which may end up being more appealing to me.

• Like 1

There was talk several months back (of course I can't find the link now, and Google is failing me) that Spike Gjerde was going to have a hand in a locally-focused seafood stall which would be incredible, but with the work he's doing on the Food Hub that may be off the table. 

Well, I have some real sweet search skills since I apparently forgot a post I made in this very thread!  It seems to be a moot point anyway since another fishmonger is reported ready to go into UM this fall.

I like Union Market as a fun thing to do when I want to go get a meal and....

I don't do a lot of shopping there right now because 1. it gets so crowded and 2. just not enough selection on non-meat products right now.  But I like going getting some bits of stuff to eat and wandering a bit.  I have never bought much in the retail section, there are things I like, but just not enough to pull the trigger.  Unlike the SF Ferry Building where I am always coming home with stuff.  It's not the price point, it's just the lack of something I really want to be honest, and I think the fact there is so little of any one thing.  I know they have some cookbooks, but not enough to really catch my attention and make me stop and be all like, "euwl, I need that."  A good kitchen supply store that was more like the one in the Chelsea Market and not William Sonoma or Sur La Table would be a draw. More ceramic tableware or bar supply selection.  It's like they have just enough to make me a bit interested, but not enough to make me buy.  And another produce stand is essential.  I have said this before, but also something a bit more veggie focused in terms of eating would be nice too.   If it was more like SF Ferry bldg I would be there even more often, we have the quality, we just need the quantity.

I remain completely enamored with Union Market. New vendors when I went today, which keeps things interesting, along with my usual favorites. I was able to do a little shopping, throw my purchases in a cooler in the car, then sit outside reading with some great music playing from the B&B truck while I finished my Peregrine americano. Then I headed back inside when I got warm for a delicious lunch at Rappahannock. I will put my review of that in their thread, but wow, I am impressed with that place!

• Like 1

"Union Market - Public Market with Over 100 Businesses and 1,500 Employees on 5th Street and Neal Place NE in Brentwood" ???  I think Edens would disagree with your thread description.  I think of Union Market as an island within the Florida Market.  And Brentwood?  I don't think so.  I'm paying attention, Don :)

"Union Market - Public Market with Over 100 Businesses and 1,500 Employees on 5th Street and Neal Place NE in Brentwood" ???  I think Edens would disagree with your thread description.  I think of Union Market as an island within the Florida Market.  And Brentwood?  I don't think so.  I'm paying attention, Don :)

How do you think it should be worded? This title is a remnant from back before it opened.

This is from their website: "Currently, more than 100 businesses employ 1,500 people in food production and distribution."

This is from a Google map: https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&q=5th+street+and+neal+place+dc&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89b7b81097695fed:0xbb1e38bf82a12bc4,5th+St+NE+%26+Neal+Pl+NE,+Washington,+D.C.,+DC+20002&gl=us&ei=TTo3Ur2dCpK34AOgtoEY&ved=0CCsQ8gEwAA

I'm game for anything, so let me know what your thoughts are.

Union Market will be the heart and soul of a broader district bringing a renewed spirit to the neighborhood. The market district will once again be the engine of entrepreneurial spirit. Currently, more than 100 businesses employ 1,500 people in food production and distribution. It is a rare place in the city where a wide variety of ethnic groups and diverse social-economic groups come together and share the same spirit of community. Surrounding the market will be a vibrant mix of retail, restaurants, hotel, entertainment, incubator space for new food concepts as well as retail and wholesale space. EDENS is proud to be a part of this urban village.

I see, this is pretty sneaky of them.  I still don't think they are claiming that is #UMNow, more like what #UMWillBe.  EDENS and Douglas Development have bought most of the rest of the "market district", so that change will be happening soon.

Here's another google map of Brentwood, it appears to be entirely north of New York Ave:  https://maps.google.com/maps?q=brentwood+dc&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89b7b80ad549d1d9:0xf1960def044e2504,Brentwood,+Washington,+D.C.,+DC&gl=us&ei=5U43Uo2ZLLWx4APW7oHQBA&ved=0CJQBELYD

Actually I can't find it in any neighborhood.  North of Near Northeast, West of Gallaudet/Trinidad, South of Ivy City, Northeast of NoMa. . . I still think of the area as the Florida Market, but not sure whether that name is meaningful the average DMV resident.

Actually I can't find it in any neighborhood.  North of Near Northeast, West of Gallaudet/Trinidad, South of Ivy City, Northeast of NoMa. . . I still think of the area as the Florida Market, but not sure whether that name is meaningful the average DMV resident. 

I agree.  The market district really is its own neighborhood.  It used to be Florida Ave/Capital City Market district and it's been rebranded as Union Market district.

Union Market will be the heart and soul of a broader district bringing a renewed spirit to the neighborhood. The market district will once again be the engine of entrepreneurial spirit. Currently, more than 100 businesses employ 1,500 people in food production and distribution. It is a rare place in the city where a wide variety of ethnic groups and diverse social-economic groups come together and share the same spirit of community. Surrounding the market will be a vibrant mix of retail, restaurants, hotel, entertainment, incubator space for new food concepts as well as retail and wholesale space. EDENS is proud to be a part of this urban village.

Is it only cynics like me that think that the master plan for the market place is to squeeze out the diversity that they brag about here? Certainly Union Market, the wedge end of this whole project, is no bastion of multiculturalism.

• Like 1

Is it only cynics like me that think that the master plan for the market place is to squeeze out the diversity that they brag about here? Certainly Union Market, the wedge end of this whole project, is no bastion of multiculturalism. 

^^^

You don't even have to be a cynic, you just have to be literate.  Over 5 years ago, the then-developers put up this obnoxious sign in the market place of a futuristic office building with the caption "Pretty soon, you won't recognize the place.  Promise."

You can't be too cynical when it comes to developers, in my opinion. They do their damage, then haul ass. Union Market may be different, but in the general case, they are one of the most self-serving professions in existence. Well, chemical factories billowing smoke, ambulance-chasing attorneys, I should stop here.

Went back to Union Market last weekend when the Crafty Bastards festival was going on in the parking lot. The festival was nice and draw, the downside was that parking was a bit tight even with the other lot open on 6th street.  As for the food, the DC Empanadas were pretty good especially with the good cilantro sauce they offer with them.  Generally, I haven't found that much worth a special trip EXCEPT Neopol the smoked fish stand has some really tasty products.  I got a 1/4 lb each of the carmelized smoke salmon and the peppercorn salmon.  This is whole sided of hot smoked salmon with these toppings/crusts (not lox-style).  Really excellent stuff. I can't wait to try the thai rub and other stuff.  I did have a taste of the whitefish salad, but it was only ok.

• Like 1

i'm not sure if this post should go here or in the independent coffee houses thread but has anyone had a bad experience with the Peregrine in Union Market? I was in need of caffeine the morning of crafty bastards, so i went there. And, had the worst coffee i've had in recent memory. i am far from picky about coffee--i'm even fine with some of the instants, and just about the only thing i won't drink is the stuff on airplanes. but i found the expresso and coffee from peregrine were almost undrinkable. my companion, who hates, hates to waste food, refused to drink them either after he took a sip.  both had really off flavors--not a dark roast, just bad, off flavors, sort of sour, and the coffee seemed weak (although  that may be because i'm used to starbucks and the "bold k-cups." )and, even making allowances for the crowding due to crafty bastards, it seemed rather disorganized--over 10 minutes just to get a cup of coffee, and close to 15 for the expresso.

this was my first experience at any Peregrine, and i was rather shocked. were they just having a really, really off day? because otherwise, there's no way i'm going to any Peregrine ever again.

this was my first experience at any Peregrine, and i was rather shocked. were they just having a really, really off day? because otherwise, there's no way i'm going to any Peregrine ever again.

I'll pipe up and say it was a "really, really off day[.]" I've not had a bad cup at either the Cap Hill or Union Market locations, and to me, their coffee and espresso is usually pretty strong. When I last went to the Union Market location, I badly needed a latte to wake me up before I drove home to Virginia, and it did the trick quite well.

They are pretty nice too, so I'll take a gamble and say that if you experienced a bad cup, they will probably make you a new one.

Maybe you should ask for a pour-over instead, so the coffee can be more tailored to your tastes? Although, if you are used to k-cups and Starbucks coffee, then your taste buds might reject more than few coffeehouses around here, perhaps?

That's not the least bit condescending.  :o

Nah, goodeats doesn't have a condescending bone in her body.

Okay, maybe the femur (which, incidentally, rhymes with lemur).

The aye-aye is a Madagascarian lemur. You must watch ... "True Facts About The Aye-Aye."

I don't know why I think of these things I just do.

Really excellent stuff. I can't wait to try the thai rub and other stuff.  I did have a taste of the whitefish salad, but it was only ok.

The smoked hummus is amazing.

Regarding Peregrine, I would say you had a weird experience. I was there that morning and got an Americano and it was delicious as always. I've never had straight coffee there that wasn't a pourover though. There is always a good bit of a wait although the 10-15 min you mentioned is over the top. I've gotten into the habit of placing my order, and then going to pick something up somewhere while it's made, but it's typically more like 3-5 minutes.

That's not the least bit condescending.  :o

I only really meant that if you are used to one type of flavor, then you may dislike other types. For example, I really like soy milk for my lattes. So if I get milk or rice, almond, or hemp milk for my lattes, I will think it tastes strange because my taste buds are trained to associate soy milk taste in lattes. That was all I meant. Did not mean to sound condescending or snobbish. Was merely thinking too much and being my usual geeky-self of overanalysing.

*Thanks, Don. Really appreciate it.

Thank you for that clarification goodeats.  because so many of your previous posts have been kind, i didn't take offense at the comment, though had it come from someone else i might've read it as a slight.  i understand that we all tend to like what we're used to, but i think most of us can distinguish between what we like, and things that are simply not to our taste, but not bad.

also, just to clarify one thing--i was referring to starbucks and the bold k-cups (which have 33% more coffee and caffeine) to give my reference point for coffee strength and to qualify my opinion that the coffee at peregrine seemed weak. i don't actually prefer/really enjoy the taste of either of those products, but they give me a needed jolt in the morning.

in any case, it seems that maybe i just got an off 2 cups or something, and will freely admit that there's a chance my expectations for the expresso might have been too high--i'd just come back from a trip to italy and developed a taste for expressos there, so it's possible that hoping the expressos here were similarly delicious was an unfair expectation on my part.

i'm not sure if this post should go here or in the independent coffee houses thread but has anyone had a bad experience with the Peregrine in Union Market? I was in need of caffeine the morning of crafty bastards, so i went there. And, had the worst coffee i've had in recent memory. i am far from picky about coffee--i'm even fine with some of the instants, and just about the only thing i won't drink is the stuff on airplanes. but i found the expresso and coffee from peregrine were almost undrinkable. my companion, who hates, hates to waste food, refused to drink them either after he took a sip.  both had really off flavors--not a dark roast, just bad, off flavors, sort of sour, and the coffee seemed weak (although  that may be because i'm used to starbucks and the "bold k-cups." )and, even making allowances for the crowding due to crafty bastards, it seemed rather disorganized--over 10 minutes just to get a cup of coffee, and close to 15 for the expresso.

Chalk it up to bad luck.  Peregrine is as good a coffee shop as any in DC and I've purchased from them at Union Market 15+ times and never had a problem there.  Much of the staff there came over from Peregrine's original outpost at Eastern Market and you'll even see the owner working the line from time to time, so I think they put a fair amount of effort into putting the same level of quality into their market offering as they did to their original café.

i'm not sure if this post should go here or in the independent coffee houses thread but has anyone had a bad experience with the Peregrine in Union Market? I was in need of caffeine the morning of crafty bastards, so i went there. And, had the worst coffee i've had in recent memory. ...

As one of the more prolific posters here in the past on the topic of coffee, I have to agree with the others above. Peregrine is one of the city's very best coffee and espresso drink purveyors.  They are exclusive with Counter Culture as their bean provider but they really distinguish themselves on staff training and technique.  I've been to all three locations (Cap Hill, 14th St and UM) many times and don't think the UM outpost a weak link.

All said, and echoing goodeats here, if you didn't like what you ordered that's all that should matter.  But I'd really encourage you to make your disappointment known in a situation like that.  Any reputable coffee shop (or restaurant for that matter) should and will bend over backward to make things right.  I think the staff at Peregrine would have insisted on making you a new drink had they known.

Give it another shot when near one of their locations and see what you think.  You almost certainly did come up against a very unusual very off day.

Separately--to Don--I think the thread title is off because you've transposed numbers cited for the broader district surrounding UM with UM itself.  In other words, the 100/1500 referred to all the old-line distributors and merchants in the immediately surrounding blocks, not even including UM since those numbers characterized the area before UM. Relevant portion of the statement below.

Union Market will be the heart and soul of a broader district bringing a renewed spirit to the neighborhood. The market district will once again be the engine of entrepreneurial spirit. Currently, more than 100 businesses employ 1,500 people in food production and distribution.

My love for Union Market reigns supreme. Went by to pick up some charcuterie from Red Apron for a get together tomorrow and got to sample some new stuff, as well as some old favorites.

Of particular note, as reported in the other thread, Toki Underground now has a pop up that serves one dish. Today it was the still the Pho. There's also now a steamed bbq pork bun stand associated with it immediately adjacent. $2/bun, I happened to get relatively lucky. When I went up they weren't ready, she told me 10 minutes and when I checked back in about 5 I got the second to last one from that batch. I saw her hand several containers over though so perhaps you can also order them at the Toki stand? Anyway, the pork bun was delicious. The filling is really flavorful with a nice bit of heat. Just be prepared for a possible wait.

Stopped at Neopol to get a container of the smoked hummus to take home and decided to try the smoked shrimp with spices ($1.50 ea). They'll warm them up for you if you like. I usually really like the offerings here, but every once in a while I feel the smoke just overwhelms, which I found to be the case a bit here. I felt that way the last time I had the egg salad, but this time I thought it was perfect. Not sure if this alludes to inconsistencies or just my tastes on a particular day?

Picked up my usual suspects from Red Apron, the heart terrine and (my favorite) the bourbon & fig rillette. As a bonus, I noticed they had pimiento cheese spread. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but did try the pate de campagne and the country pate and particularly enjoyed the latter. Also tasted their thai coffee soft serve. Flavor was very good, but I didn't enjoy the consistency (it was a bit gritty/icy rather than being smooth and creamy).

The District Fishwife opened some time in the past week.  I was hurrying through UM this weekend picking something else up and only got a quick look.  The seafood looks to be top notch with prices to match (think Black Salt Market, not Maine Ave Wharf).  It will only be an occasional splurge for our family, but it's nice to see a dedicated fish monger focused on sustainability in the area.  They seem to have detailed info on every product they offer.

• Like 2

Yeah, things at District Fishwife are certainly expensive, but all of the product is beautiful. It fills the biggest hole in the market in my opinion, and probably the biggest hole in all of the eastern half of DC. Southern Maryland Seafood at Eastern Market (which is just as expensive) has much worse looking (and smelling) fish.

• Like 1

Yeah, things at District Fishwife are certainly expensive, but all of the product is beautiful. It fills the biggest hole in the market in my opinion, and probably the biggest hole in all of the eastern half of DC. Southern Maryland Seafood at Eastern Market (which is just as expensive) has much worse looking (and smelling) fish.

Absolutely agree.  It's a huge addition to the Market and a huge plus for home cooks in the area.

I was initially surprised by the prices, which seem to be a touch higher than Whole Foods until I tried their product, which I believe is without rival in DC.  The fish and scallops we've had in our first few visits are certainly more impressive than anything I've had in years of Whole Foods seafood purchases and have all been nothing short of outstanding.

• Like 1

The fact that Union Market is far more an upscale food court than market was driven home once again Sunday afternoon, when I stopped in to panic shop.  Though the lot was full, there was nary a yuppie in line when I dropped by the butcher for some excellent short ribs and -- joy! -- unanticipated pig cheeks, Fishwife for oysters and Red Apron for a couple of quarts of (mediocre) beef stock and some (hopefully, excellent) merguez.  Not that I mind the somewhat misleading name of the establishment (any more than I mind the imprecision of places calling themselves "bistro" or "trattoria" and serving hundred dollar wines and $35 entrees, which means, yeah, it does vex me) but I do worry that sellers of unprepared foods will be forced out as the management seeks to maximize revenue per square foot.

• Like 4

I'm curious what the effect of Union Market has been on the warehouse styled places that are its neighbors that have been thee for eons (like A. Litteri) - good? Bad? Indifferent? That areas is experiencing a tremendous building boom, one like I have never before seen, so it'll be very interesting to see how the dynamics of Union Market and the rest of the places around there evolve.

Real mixed bag experience on Saturday. Went again for Crafty Bastards - always a fun fair and this time it looks like they doubled down on the food trucks and had a better layout. Afterwards we went to the Market for dinner.  DC Dosas closed right before I tried to place an order around 6pm even though the market is open till 8 and the place was packed with people.  Shame because they looked good.  Buffalo and Bergen root beer was very good but pricey - not sure if it was worth $5 for a soda - maybe one of the special concoctions would be.  DC Mediterranean - oh my - this sucked all around! Line took forever, wait for pre-made food took forever, and then the food was pretty awful (meat pie - gross, spinach pie - bleh, cheese pie - so so, baba ganoush - passable, tabbouli - meh, falafel - tasteless) except the pita was good. Run from this place - clueless people running it poorly and food is crap.  Redemption then came with Neopol - friendly, quick service even with offering tastes of pretty much whatever I was interested in (next time smoked spicy hummus as the taste was good).  Took home and quickly finished off peppercorn smoked salmon filet and herbes de provence smoke salmon fillet - really really really high quality and great deep taste.  Sad they didn't have the carmalized onion left, but the herbes de provence was almost as good. The peppercorn was good, but not as good as the other 2.  Further redemption with excellent, very rich and creamy Trickling Springs ice cream for dessert.  I had tastes of good chocolate and better mint chip, but I chose wisest in the family with the chocolate peanut butter (where they mix the PB into the cream so it is fully integrated) and it was awesome. Normally I'm not much of a cone fan, but I picked the waffle cone and it was fresh and great. 

I'm curious what the effect of Union Market has been on the warehouse styled places that are its neighbors that have been thee for eons (like A. Litteri) - good? Bad? Indifferent? That areas is experiencing a tremendous building boom, one like I have never before seen, so it'll be very interesting to see how the dynamics of Union Market and the rest of the places around there evolve.

Good question. Litteri is a great spot for sandwiches at about a third the price of red apron 20 yards away. I wouldn't really trust their wine selection, which is big, but has been sitting there god knows how long with not a lot of turnover. They have great olive oils, pastas, cheeses, and the rest.  The rest of the market is a really a hidden gem. Yo can get dirt cheap produce (i'd stay way from leafy greens for sanitary reasons). Also, the restaurant supply store has good finds.  

I fear with the upcoming condos and the anjelika, these places will not be there for long. 

Good question. Litteri is a great spot for sandwiches at about a third the price of red apron 20 yards away. I wouldn't really trust their wine selection, which is big, but has been sitting there god knows how long with not a lot of turnover. They have great olive oils, pastas, cheeses, and the rest.  The rest of the market is a really a hidden gem. Yo can get dirt cheap produce (i'd stay way from leafy greens for sanitary reasons). Also, the restaurant supply store has good finds.

I fear with the upcoming condos and the anjelika, these places will not be there for long.

I agree. I have had some luck with wines at A. Litteri but also some serious misses. I am also kind of annoyed they sometimes sell 'dried porcini' that is, um, made in China. SRSLY.

I have not been to Union Market in a while. Anyone been to the fish place that is there now?

One of the things Red Apron sometimes carries is pork secretto. OMG.

The District Fishwife. It's fantastic. It really is. But it comes at a price. A price, to be honest, I'm willing to pay. There are virtually no good fishmongers in this city. Yeah you can get good stuff at a few places, but you have to know you're stuff, and its a lot of luck. Her stuff is always great, and fresh.