DC's Greatest Mexican Chef - Who Is It?

DonRocks

I'd like to propose that three of Washington DC's superstar Mexican chefs: José Andrés (Oyamel), Mike Isabella (Bandolero), and Diana Davila-Boldin (El Chucho), compete in a cook-off, with all profits going to charity, and may the best manchef win.

A Spanish-American, an Italian-American, and a Mexican-American, all vying for bragging rights over Mexico: the number one source (by far) of naturalized Americans. As Thomas Keller said at the James Beard Awards when reading out the 2007 nominees for Best Chef in America: "There are no losers here."

We are looking forward to El Chucho. It would certainly seem that if I can find Great Mexican in Minneapolis (!)(http://barriotequila.com/ and, of course, in Mexico City (Aquila y Sol) it would seem that I can find something representative in the D. C. area.

I cannot rave about this enough: we sat out on a public street in downtown Minneapolis a couple of months ago, totally enraptured with what we were eating-for all the world this was a Border restaurant....on Henlopen Avenue in Minneapolis. Incredible. No...not merely that but unbelievable. Downtown Minneapolis and we found a "Border" restaurant.

I walked out feeling that I could not find this in the D. C. area.

PLEASE! Somebody prove me wrong! Please tell me that I can find authentic Mexican (not sure of which state in Mexico) here at least as good as what I can find in Minneapolis! Minneapolis!!!!!!!!!!

Before anyone laughs too loud, this was nominated by several as the best restaurant in the three million + Twin Cities metro area. Magazine, newspaper-all of them, actually.

Can I find this here?

....El Chucho here we come....

We are looking forward to El Chucho. It would certainly seem that if I can find Great Mexican in Minneapolis (!)(http://barriotequila.com/ and, of course, in Mexico City (Aquila y Sol) it would seem that I can find something representative in the D. C. area.

I cannot rave about this enough: we sat out on a public street in downtown Minneapolis a couple of months ago, totally enraputed with what we were eating-from what for all the world was a Border restaurant....on Henlopen Avenue in Minneapolis. I walked out feeling that I could not find this in the D. C. area.

PLEASE! Somebody prove me wrong! Please tell me that I can find authentic Mexican (not sure of which state in Mexico) here at least as good as what I can find in Minneapolis!

Before anyone laughs too loud, this was nominated by several as the best restaurant in the three million + Twin Cities metro area.

Can I find this here?

....El Chucho here we come....

Keep in mind, however, that (like Andrés at Oyamel and Isabella at Bandolero), Davila-Boldin is the "Executive Chef" here which means menu design and oversight, but not day-to-day presence. I can see you going either way on El Chucho.

But my oh my, what a fun little block of restaurants is on 11th Street in east Columbia Heights - that's one of my favorite strips in the DC area.