8 replies to this topic

#1 TheMatt

TheMatt

Man Among Men

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Folks, I was wondering if anyone out there had a recommendation to get some dongpo rou in the area? I'm guessing Rockville or Falls Church will be the where, but I was hoping to find a good rendition.

Yeah...I've got a hankering for some fatty pork, I guess.

TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#2 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Here's some fatty pork. Can't say for sure that I've ever had dongpo rou.

#3 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

Did you ever find some, Matt? I recall seeing some on the steam table at Kam Sam Market in Rockville last week, but I will have to keep an eye out for it.

Most restaurants don't steam it enough to make the fat soft and meat tender, so I usually don't order it. What about Hunan Taste in Fairfax?

Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#4 TheMatt

TheMatt

Man Among Men

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

Did you ever find some, Matt? I recall seeing some on the steam table at Kam Sam Market in Rockville last week, but I will have to keep an eye out for it.

Most restaurants don't steam it enough to make the fat soft and meat tender, so I usually don't order it. What about Hunan Taste in Fairfax?

I hadn't thought about Hunan Taste, but I just looked and nope, not there. However, I took a look around the web and it looks like Hong Kong Palace might have it. Maybe I'll have to go check out their version.

TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#5 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

I didn't have a good experience last time at HK Palace, so it would be good to hear if their version is good. I did find a varied version at Sichuan Village in Chantilly--No. 83. It's the shank version, which is pretty tasty too, if well done.

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#6 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,234 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

I'm not saying this to be glib; I honestly don't know: What's the difference between this and bacon?

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#7 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

I'm not saying this to be glib; I honestly don't know: What's the difference between this and bacon?

Nothing, if you are going purely by the pork cut--both are pork belly. But the difference is in the preparation (i.e., bacon needs to brined and cured/smoked) and execution (i.e., sliced strips vs larger, cubed cuts)..

• thistle likes this

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#8 drsmoke

drsmoke

Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

I've been Smoking, then cooling, then thick slicing and frying Pork Belly for over a year...it's extremely popular here. I also do a Mac and Cheese with Pork Belly and a grilled Cheese and Pork Belly on Mac and Cheese sandwich.

• ol_ironstomach likes this
Tom Caulfield

Owner
Chubby's Southern Style Barbecue
Emmitsburg, MD

#9 ol_ironstomach

ol_ironstomach

Wunderpus photogenicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

It's not bacon, despite being made from pork belly, and I don't know that I've seen an accurate version anywhere around DC...served as a family-style dish, not enough of the edges capture that bit of broiling, and too many have a sauce poured over them.  Alternately, while the Momofuku pork bun and its imitators (cf Sakuramen) owe the basic flavor profile of the pork belly to this dish, the pre-assembled bun format ditches the broth/braising liquid in favor of sweeter sauces.

[ image: an individual earthenware dish of Dongpo rou with baby Chinese cabbage, sticky rice, and a steamed folded bun; from Lou Wai Lou restaurant (founded 1848) in Hangzhou ]
dh-0023-168.jpg

Dave Hsu
--------"Cuisine represents a knife edge that separates attractive stimulation from death."--- Art Ayers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dongpo Rou, Chinese, Hangzhou, Pork Belly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users