BBQ Country, Vienna - 118 Branch Road SE in Danor Plaza - Closed

I just noticed an Elevation Burger sign in Vienna next to Norm's Beer & Wine in the shopping plaza on the corner of 123 and Branch Road. Based on the construction going on, it will be awhile before it opens.

The BBQ place in that space wasn't bad - they had a wood fired oven to roast things up on. I think, however, that a nice Italian place could do a land-office business in that strip mall, which already has an Indian place (Aditi), a pan-Asian place (Sweet Ginger), and a noveau-American place (Maplewood Grill). The last two aren't bad, I've eaten at them both. Never at the Indian joint. A concentration of decent restaurants in a single location is generally not a bad thing.

I had the worst BBQ in my life in that shopping plaza, and I'm 59 years old; did that sad sack of a BBQ joint finally give up the ghost? (sweet couple running it but sweet lord the sins they committed against pig and man)

I had the worst BBQ in my life in that shopping plaza, and I'm 59 years old; did that sad sack of a BBQ joint finally give up the ghost? (sweet couple running it but sweet lord the sins they committed against pig and man)

The BBQ place closed a while ago. I am not sure what "sweet couple" you are referring to, but I think it had been sold to a new owner a year or two before it closed. A new Italian place, Pazzo Pomodoro, is being built out in that space (it is the subject of another thread on here), and should be open before the end of the year. They have a wood burning oven for making Neapolitan-style pizza.

Agreed. I love BBQ, live about 5 minutes from (what used to be) BBQ Country, and only ate there once. Nuff said.

Does anyone remember the O'Brian's Pit Barbecue Washingtonian ads from 25 years ago that said, "barbecue, not BBQ?"

And I loved it. The Springfield location is long gone, as is the nearby and sorely missed Blackie's Steakhouse, but both provided me with ample amounts of protein back in the day.