VDOT Express Lanes

DonRocks

Not really about toll lanes per se, but I have a radical solution to the area's traffic problem! Dam(n) the Potomac upriver and reroute it around the city! Great Falls could be filled in with concrete to eliminate the gorge, and then paved over with multiple roads taking drivers in multiple directions. We're hampered by that damn river!

Send donations to damthepotomac.org.

Not really about toll lanes per se, but I have a radical solution to the area's traffic problem! Dam(n) the Potomac upriver and reroute it around the city! Great Falls could be filled in with concrete to eliminate the gorge, and then paved over with multiple roads taking drivers in multiple directions. We're hampered by that damn river!

Send donations to damthepotomac.org.

Where's William Douglas when we need him?

• Like 1

They are getting ready to start these roads here in Jacksonville. Florida to be billed under the good ole southern fried SunPass already in effect in Orlando and other surrounding areas. Although I am a capitalist, I hate the fact that more wealthy people can afford to zip along while the average working stiff has to sweat it out in a traffic jam. 10 bucks a day or whatever it costs is more than a lot of people can afford.......... REGRESSIVE TAX POLICY AT ITS WORST!!!   

14 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Heading towards the beltway on the Dulles Toll Road, I just saw the Beltway Hot Lanes from the Toll Road to I-395 South priced at ...

sit down before you read this ... 

$20.35.

...and likely worth every penny. My policy on my once a week foray into the belly of the beast is this: the higher the toll, the more likely I am to pay it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Heading towards the beltway on the Dulles Toll Road, I just saw the Beltway Hot Lanes from the Toll Road to I-395 South priced at ...

sit down before you read this ... 

$20.35.

I've seen it crack $30. 

$20-30 for the toll? What a failure of long term regional planning from Richmond and WMATA. 

It would have been so much better for the region, if there had been a Metro line all the way around DC in that space. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 7:48 AM, farmer john said:

...and likely worth every penny. My policy on my once a week foray into the belly of the beast is this: the higher the toll, the more likely I am to pay it. 

You may be describing things northbound but this has not been my experience southbound.  When things are super-congested, you may be flying past the non-toll traffic initially, but a mile or so before merging back in at Stafford, things really clog up.  By the time you finally get back on with everyone else, the amount of time saved is sometimes minimal if any (and if lots of folks chose the express lanes, you may actually end up losing time).

40 minutes ago, silentbob said:

You may be describing things northbound but this has not been my experience southbound.  When things are super-congested, you may be flying past the non-toll traffic initially, but a mile or so before merging back in at Stafford, things really clog up.  By the time you finally get back on with everyone else, the amount of time saved is sometimes minimal if any (and if lots of folks chose the express lanes, you may actually end up losing time).

My apologies for being ambiguous - my post refers to approaching the Beltway on the Dulles Toll Road and taking the Beltway express lanes to I-395; I don't think that includes the cost of taking the I-395 express lanes (does it?)

Assuming it doesn't, could another $20-30 toll be compounded onto the one I'm referring to, making the trip from Tysons to Stafford in the $50 range? If yes, I've never heard of a toll so high (with the exception of taking ferries, etc.).