Unum, Chef Phillip Blane and GM Laura Schiller on 30th and M Street in Georgetown - Closed

It may have just been circumstantial, but after only one visit Unum has become one of my favorites. Not that everything was extraordinary, but the whole exerience was just lovely, and every dish nicely conceived and executed (except the macaroni and cheese, but then I just don't care for truffle oil), and many of the main courses are available as half-portions. The friendly bartender made a great recommendation for a wine to go with the shortrib tagliatelle. I would recommend the Umun salad. And the ricotta beignets. And, as someone who suffers from walnut allergy, I was over the moon to discover a baklava made with pistachios.

I was so taken with the place that I made a reservation for my next dinner there on the way out.

I've been once. Unum was quite solid. Several terrific fish dishes. A great gnocchi. The only food disappointment was a brussels sprouts that had no salt, acid, or char. I assume it was just a kitchen glitch. The only thing that we thought needed serious improvement was knowledge of the wine list. Our server and then the manager grossly misdescribed every wine we had (and some were served at strange temperatures). But I assume that will come in time.

Maybe I am just reading the wrong websites, but it is funny to me that Unum seems to be "off the radar" for the most part - even though, judging by my one and only dinner there (last night), they seem to do good business. Don't know if this is a matter of their not spending $ on publicists, or what. (I realize they were on the Washingtonian 100, but otherwise there is little "buzz" on the "buzzy" sites as far as I can tell. Contrast opentable reviews, which are numerous and positive - a different part of the online world, I guess.)

Anyway, dinner was quite good, and reasonably priced. I especially liked that I could make up my "main course" as a half-order of grilled branzino (at $12, it seemed to be not much less fish than I would get at some restaurants as a full-size main) and a half-order of gnocci ($10). Good food, pleasant place. Good bread with good accompaniments. Good cheese plate. Not sure about lemon buttermilk ice cream to accompany bread pudding, though. Menu is pretty much (maybe not exactly?) as stated at link.

• Like 1

Maybe I am just reading the wrong websites, but it is funny to me that Unum seems to be "off the radar" for the most part - even though, judging by my one and only dinner there (last night), they seem to do good business. Don't know if this is a matter of their not spending $ on publicists, or what. (I realize they were on the Washingtonian 100, but otherwise there is little "buzz" on the "buzzy" sites as far as I can tell. Contrast opentable reviews, which are numerous and positive - a different part of the online world, I guess.)

I just had the exact same thought when my wife said she was going here tonight... without me. Why haven't I ever even heard the name before?!

I am very late in posting about my meal at Unum in December - which is too bad, because I can't really remember what we had, but I do remember really liking the meal.

We split some dishes, I think I had fish, and a really good martini. The setting is quiet and comfortable, the food was really good and I'd certainly go back if I had the chance to do so (toddler, tired, etc.)

My guess is its a really small place and Georgetown is usually less 'buzzy' than other neighborhoods. Bandolero received some buzz initially, but I feel like it gets less talk now than Graffiato. Unum got some buzz at the beginning too. I've been once and enjoyed my meal (gnocci and oysters three ways) and I appreciated the full/half serving options.

As sheldman said, this place seems under the radar. It was full, though, so a certain crowd seems to know about it. From what I can remember, the decor didn't change much from when it was Mendocino. It's a very small, cozy place.

Beets and goat cheese are certainly overdone, but the version here with pickled beets was fantastic (look at it!). Having many of the entrees at half portions for half price allows you to set up a little tasting menu. Forget restaurant week-- you can do three courses here for about $35 (it was only $30 for what I ordered). The beets along with half portions of the hanger steak and the gnocchi (both good) were more than enough food for me. Unum should be getting more attention.

• Like 1

Lovely first visit to Unum last night, but there will definitely be more in the future.  For me, driving in from the 'burbs, parking is always an issue.  Thankfully, the folks at Unum have a very reasonable valet deal with the Four Seasons!

As others have mentioned, the option to order "half" orders of almost all the entrees really allow for a variety of options.  Our group of 3 sampled a Caesar salad and an arugula salad with burrata, the mortadella meatballs, an order of gnocchi and a short rib pasta dish.  The pastas were both really delicious...clearly homemade pasta was the star of each show.  They were so rich that we couldn't finish either of them.  I probably wouldn't order the meatballs again, the compote they were served with and the polenta they were served on were both tasty.  But I thought the meatballs themselves were a bit over-browned on the outside which took away a bit from the overall texture of the dish. The Caesar salad was served with a small ramekin of  an artichoke custard...serious yum factor!  Based on the 'burrata with arugula' menu description I was expecting a ball of burrata with some arugula garnish.  It was, in fact, an arugula salad with a burrata garnish.  Nice, but just not what I was expecting.

We finished with an order of the beignets, three small perfectly cooked pockets of goodness.  I would have preferred something other than the fruit puree they were accompanied by, or at least preferred the puree in a separate container so it was "optional".

I didn't see the check (thanks MKC), but the menu prices seemed reasonable for the location/food quality.

Only a few other tables on a Monday night from 7-9pm.  A wonderful, warm environment to linger with family and catch up.

• Like 1

Second visit to Unum last night for the last evening of Summer Restaurant Week.  Unum's rendition of Restaurant Week included one appetizer, two 'small plate entrees' and dessert or cheese course.  I ordered the beet salad which was quite nice, but could have used a touch more acid.  We also had two heirloom tomato salads and a soft-shelled crab.  Every plate that comes out of that kitchen is a piece of art.  While composition doesn't make up for bad food, it certainly enhances food that is already tasty.

For "mains" we tried a bunch of dishes including the crab cake, hanger steak, short rib pasta and goat cheese raviolini.  The short rib pasta was a favorite as was the crab cake.  The real star of the show however was a side of truffle mac n cheese that was so decadent and delicious.

I love when restaurants use the RW promotion to highlight what their kitchen is capable of and instill a desire to return soon.  This small, unassuming restaurant is turning out some really great food at a reasonable price point given the neighborhood.  Check this little gem of a restaurant out next time you're in Georgetown, you won't be disappointed.