Where Are They Now?

Escoffier

We were at Vermilion this evening for dinner talking to Chef Anthony Chittum when Danny Boylen, the former maitre d' at Notti Bianchi's name came up. Where is Danny now? I believe he went to PS7s...after that? Where is your favorite chef/server/etc now?

That's crazy, I was gonna suggest a forum called "What Ever Happened To?".

I have been wondering about Chef Jonathan Krinn from INOX. Where is he now?

Danny just posted here a couple days ago.

No idea about Jon Krinn (who, incidentally, was our first-ever chat).

I ran into him a few weeks ago for the first time in forever. I believe he said he was consulting now.

Quite some time ago (a number of years) he was consulting at/for Schneider's wine and liquor store. I think was for a fairly brief time, but I'm not sure. I saw him there once, which is how I know, but only once.

Speaking of which, has Julien Shapiro landed anywhere in these environs?

Not really. I left that job because I didn't want to go in a different direction that would have compromised what I like to do.  Been watching the original version of The Bridge, napping, reading Edmund Morris' The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, prequel to Theodore Rex (TR is a personal hero), odd jobs here and there, studying bovine breeds, unlearning Spanish and wishing I was born 20 years earlier. What I've made was never very popular, maybe it didn't have enough appeal or needed better PR and whatnot.  I've made my peace with that. Right now I don't feel like going through the indignity that is starting all over again and cooking in a restaurant for a pittance in what is the wealthiest region on the east coast.  Not many "chef" jobs out there this time of the year and it is hard to work for anyone else after Frank.   We'll see.  Maybe I'll go to art school or become a professional cat teaser.

• Like 2

Not really. I left that job because I didn't want to go in a different direction that would have compromised what I like to do.  Been watching the original version of The Bridge, napping, reading Edmund Morris' The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, prequel to Theodore Rex (TR is a personal hero), odd jobs here and there, studying bovine breeds, unlearning Spanish and wishing I was born 20 years earlier. What I've made was never very popular, maybe it didn't have enough appeal or needed better PR and whatnot.  I've made my peace with that. Right now I don't feel like going through the indignity that is starting all over again and cooking in a restaurant for a pittance in what is the wealthiest region on the east coast.  Not many "chef" jobs out there this time of the year and it is hard to work for anyone else after Frank.   We'll see.  Maybe I'll go to art school or become a professional cat teaser.

Of course most important to be happy and fulfilled with whatever choice, You deserve that. That said, you have serious culinary talent and I'm sure there are many like me who'd make a beeline for any place where you again cook, whether it's pates, charcuterie, a mix of dishes or whatever.

Very best of luck, Julien. Hope you stay in touch here.

• Like 3

That's crazy, I was gonna suggest a forum called "What Ever Happened To?".

I have been wondering about Chef Jonathan Krinn from INOX. Where is he now?

I don't make a habit of cutting/pasting emails, but there's nothing in here that would constitute a violation of trust or privacy, and I'm certain that Jon wanted me to spread the word.

Oh, and okay, I just realized after I posted this that your post is over two years old. :wacko:

Julien, you and I sound like we'd be perfect together. Why don't we get Edan Macquaid and start a company where the three of us ponder things. We'll discuss soliciting investment capital and philosophize about the relevance of nilhism while we're eating instant ramen. :)

---

Hi Don,

It's been a heck of a long time.  I hope you are doing really well.  

I wanted to reach out to tell you about my new project in Vienna called Clarity.  I'm the Chef/Owner and Jason Maddens is my Chef/Managing Partner of this little Modern American bistro.  It's going to be a fun, relaxed place - only 2,900 sq ft, but we'll have an open kitchen, 11 seat bar, 7 seat Kitchen Counter, a small private dining room for 12 looking into the kitchen, and a 24 seat patio.

Menu will change a lot, and will have a variety of categories of dishes to chose from.

Vienna is a great town and it will be a blast to have a place right in the middle of the neighborhood, just off of Maple Avenue on the East end.

It would be great to connect with you, as we haven't spoken in a while.

Best,

Jon

Clarity

442 Maple Avenue East

• Like 1

I feel, in some way, Julien is like Jamie Stachowski. Clearly talented and has a passion for crafts that just don't translate well to sit down restaurants. After trying Jamie's kielbasa you knew this was a man who knew meat (Remember those DR happy hours at Kolumbia Room) Which eventually brought us Stachowski Market & Deli.

I feel like Julien should consider a French style provisions store- terrines, pates, pies stuffed with pieces parts, cured products etc. basically all the mad genius creations he posts photos here on DR.

That's just my opinion having never met Julien nor Jamie. But having enjoyed their food.

• Like 2

I feel, in some way, Julien is like Jamie Stachowski. Clearly talented and has a passion for crafts that just don't translate well to sit down restaurants. After trying Jamie's kielbasa you knew this was a man who knew meat (Remember those DR happy hours at Kolumbia Room) Which eventually brought us Stachowski Market & Deli.

I feel like Julien should consider a French style provisions store- terrines, pates, pies stuffed with pieces parts, cured products etc. basically all the mad genius creations he posts photos here on DR.

That's just my opinion having never met Julien nor Jamie. But having enjoyed their food.

It's funny because knowing both of them, you're absolutely right, and yet, you couldn't have picked two more different people.

• Like 1

Julien,

By all means do what feels right and proper in your world. Whether that means a new thing in the food world or not, it will be right for you. But, knowing your talent in the culinary arts, I personally think your star is too bright for some to handle and it is just a matter of time before you fall in to the right orbit to do your own magick (that k is intentional). Seriously. Do what you do and it's all good.  No matter what, I wish you well, and would crave a chance to name you as one of the folks at my table in answer to the question 'What restaurant/culinary/food people in the greater DC metro region would you most like to have dinner (or a drink) with - and not talk about food (well, at first) with.'

• Like 1

Antonio Burrell did a righteous fried chicken (along with decadent fried Twinkies) at a Rockwell picnic a few years ago. His technique is spot on, and the results are incredible. Wherever he sets up shop, look for it....

I remember hearing about that and...wasn't he also at Redwood for too short a time and maybe did the fried chicken there too? Haven't ever had the opportunity to try it.

I'll be returning to Sweet Pea's for the second year of operations..  Some difficulties with staff cut our season short last year.  That's all sorted now.

sourdough pizze and small plates.. sound familiar?  If yer in the neighborhood stop in and say hi.  We saw a few DC people last year and that was cool.  Heard we missed a few in the fall too.  Sorry about that.

Been spending plenty of time getting to know the wife, kids, and dog again. Also picked up a couple of Black and White kitties.  Hiking and swimming will also be in order as soon as this  snow melts and the lakes get warm.

Thanks fer thinking about me!

• Like 3

This exchange originally started on the Fried Chicken thread:

Great topic.

I miss Gillian Clark. Will she ever fry again?

I can't speak for her, but the last I heard, she was in California.

Gillian Clark left CA at the end of the year, and is now the chef at Kitchen on George in Mobile, AL.

Interestingly, here's the announcement about Chef Clark's new job:

I still miss Colorado Kitchen. Sigh.