El Pike and Pike Pizza - Bolivian Mom-N-Pops in Northern Virginia

There's something about driving back from St. Mary's County with three teenagers that made me want a beer, so before I even made it home, my mind began rambling about this evening's methodology: head home, have a beer, then grab dinner, or head straight to a restaurant for a beer *and* dinner. As is so often the case, traffic on I-66 dictated my plans, and I began heading home.

But I didn't. I sidewinded through back roads, thinking about Pizza Pike. But it turns out that "my" Pizza Pike - El Pike in Seven Corners - doesn't serve pizza; rather, they have, and have always had, the best salteñas I've ever eaten (with the loudly blinking, possible exception of La Caraqueña). There are several "Pike" restaurants in the Northern Virginia area, and I'm pretty sure there's still one on Little River Turnpike in Annandale which is El Pike IV (so I think this means there's at least one more, and some vague neuron is sending me a telegram saying that it might be in Silver Spring).

I saw the menu outside, and only then fully realized that El Pike (my El Pike) doesn't have any pizza on the menu - I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before because I've been here numerous times, every time except one for a carryout order of salteñas.

The olive pit called, so I walked into an empty restaurant with my laptop case, took a seat, and was deflated to hear that, no, no salteñas tonight. :(

Quoting from The Flintstones, "The situation was desperate but not hopeless." I ordered a Modelo Especial ($3.99), and began looking over the menu, but I just didn't see anything strong enough to retain me for dinner, so I sadly told my server that I'd sip my beer, and get the check.

After I was reading for about ten minutes, nursing my Modelo, my new best friend walked over to the table with a plate. On it was a salteña. I profusely thanked her, and did a little "bow down" thing as a gesture of sincere thanks. And then I asked if there was any way I could get six, to go. She asked me if I could wait five minutes; I told her I could wait for an hour, and then ordered another beer. As she was in the kitchen, I walked up to the bar and took back a copy of the menu that she had previously cleared.

She came out with two containers of salteñas, a mix of chicken and beef, and had even included one gratis so I got seven. I then ordered a steak sub with peppers, onions, and tomatoes, and substituted yuca for fries.

That salteña she brought was pretty much what I was hoping for, minus an egg, but plus an olive pit - and I *love* it when these come with unpitted olives. There's something just so, so "right" about it - and remember, Gillian, you don't pit the cherries in a clafoutis.

As I type this on their WiFi, I'm about halfway through my sandwich, and am grateful that I'll have a refrigerator and freezer well-armed with some of our city's greatest salteñas. If anyone knows of a restaurant with better salteñas than El Pike, then please let me know (and don't say "Luzmila's" because they're way too sweet).

Twice in one day, I've had servers that started out somewhat aloof and distant, but ended up warm and caring. As I finish this post, I'm hoping I didn't clear them out of Modelo because there's another one in my immediate future.

Cheers,

Rocks

I frequent the one in Arlington at Columbia Pike and George Mason. It's so sad when I arrive and they're sold out of salteñas. The ones from the place next door-- Panamerican Bakery or something like that-- are good but not quite as good.

I've also had decent ones from Teo's Bakery, a new place that recently opened on Broad Street in Falls Church.