Electric-Powered Ride-On Cars for Kids

Ericandblueboy

According to Fisher-Price, their first Power Wheel was produced in 1971 (shortly after I was born). Nevertheless, I never had one as a kid - probably because we lived in Taiwan and there weren't many real cars, much less Power Wheels. So I want one, for my daughter. Yeah, that's the ticket.

So I've been busy scouring websites such as Walmart, Target, Sears, Toys R Us, and e-toys. Unfortunately a Smart Cart is a bit too big for her and out of my budget for toys. Any recommendations (brand, model, where to buy)? I'm most concerned about the wheels having sufficient traction to get up a hill in front of our townhouse.

A long, long time ago, in a county far, far away- I had a Power Wheels that was a three-wheeler. I don't think it would have any great traction though. I soon after graduated to a kids three wheeler which is probably more than you want. We lived on a farm, so it was kind of par for the course. But no idea on today's options. I can ask around my office though- lots of kiddos and someone might have something.

I had one of the Jeep ones for my kids, and I can tell you that even with a full battery it whined going up the mild incline of my driveway. They're just not made for hills.

The best way to get one cheap is to scour garage sales and pick one up with a dead battery for $10. You can buy a battery retail for $20-$60 depending on the size.

I got a mini-bike when I was 13, & since I didn't know how to control it, almost drove it straight into the waterway. My son had a gas scooter, which languishes in the garage, ready to be passed on to the cousins...I've seen kids in those mini electric cars, they're cute as long as you don't try to take them on the road, & piss off the neighbors....