CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture)

Cooter

So -

I've subscribed to a CSA for the last three years (two different farms), but am thinking of abandoning them his summer. I love the fresh produce, I love being forced to try new things and the cost isn't an obstacle, but each summer seems to be some big flaw. One year, the spring salads were horrible; another, I ended up getting the same produce for about six weeks running when I know new things were coming out as a result of visits to the Farmers' markets. In all cases, mid-summer tends to leave me the "standard" veggies, little variation and nothing out-of -the-ordinary. Also, both Ms. LowellR and I work, so getting home to get the drop-off is not always easy and sometimes results in leaving our veggies outside in the 95 degree heat for four hours.

So I'm thinking of abandoning the CSA model and simply making a more concerted effort to get to the Farmers’ Market. I'll have more flexibility as to what produce I end up with and will get to choose the "best" specimens, as opposed to being given whatever I'm given. The biggest obstacle, I think, may be convincing myself to spend the same amount of money at the Market as I do on the CSA - $25 or $30 a week. And I also wonder if I’ll get the same quantity I get from the CSA, although, frankly, I’ve never been overwhelmed (physically or emotionally) by the quantities I’ve gotten from the CSAs. I also feel bad for thinking about ditching my farmers. Am I overreacting? Am I forgoing the "value" inherent in the guaranteed share? Or should I just cut the cord?

So -

I've subscribed to a CSA for the last three years (two different farms), but am thinking of abandoning them his summer. I love the fresh produce, I love being forced to try new things and the cost isn't an obstacle, but each summer seems to be some big flaw. One year, the spring salads were horrible; another, I ended up getting the same produce for about six weeks running when I know new things were coming out as a result of visits to the Farmers' markets. In all cases, mid-summer tends to leave me the "standard" veggies, little variation and nothing out-of -the-ordinary. Also, both Ms. LowellR and I work, so getting home to get the drop-off is not always easy and sometimes results in leaving our veggies outside in the 95 degree heat for four hours.

So I'm thinking of abandoning the CSA model and simply making a more concerted effort to get to the Farmers’ Market. I'll have more flexibility as to what produce I end up with and will get to choose the "best" specimens, as opposed to being given whatever I'm given. The biggest obstacle, I think, may be convincing myself to spend the same amount of money at the Market as I do on the CSA - $25 or $30 a week. And I also wonder if I’ll get the same quantity I get from the CSA, although, frankly, I’ve never been overwhelmed (physically or emotionally) by the quantities I’ve gotten from the CSAs. I also feel bad for thinking about ditching my farmers. Am I overreacting? Am I forgoing the "value" inherent in the guaranteed share? Or should I just cut the cord?

The CSA model has always seemed to me primarily to benefit the farmer, who has essentially pre-sold the season's crop. On the consumer's side, I much prefer to go to a farmers' market, and buy what looks good and what I want to cook. A CSA would be a benefit to someone without a nearby or conveniently scheduled farmers' market, but it is a model that has never appealed to me.

I tried Bull Run and Farmstead at Charlotte Hall last year (I committed to Bull Run early and then hedged when I heard bad things about them).

Bull Run was a poor experience. Leigh, the owner, doesn't bag or wash his vegetables. Nor does he shade his picked veggies and they all bake in the late afternoon sun. This causes a lot of wilting in the summer and makes his greens largely inedible. He also tends to put off harvesting until his fruit and root veggies get really big, so you end up with woody eggplants and baseball bat zucchini. Other times, they're laughably inadequate, like the week when he offered 4 radishes per share. It's a shame that Leigh's veggies suck so much (and it's always one excuse after another for why his veggies suck, even though my other CSA and the local farmer's market had a great year) because he offers a convenient egg share and a nice fruit share. Leigh also grows a huge amount of pretty nice basil, so I was able to freeze a lot pesto last year. Overall, I'd advise everyone to stay away from Bull Run, it's the sort of CSA that turns people off of the CSA concept.

Farmstead at Charlotte Hall was much better. They bagged and washed everything and I got a good mix every week. They manage their shares really well, I never got eggplants or summer squash twice in a row. Even for high summer tomatoes, they try to mix it up by offering grape tomatoes one week, beeksteaks the next, 6-ozers the week after. Everything I got was in pristine, farmer's market condition, picked right at the peak. I always got enough of a variety to make a dish or two. My only possible complaint about this CSA is that their selection is a bit too safe. The tomatoes seem to be well grown commercial hybrids (though pretty tasty) rather than heirlooms. Not too many herbs. No surprise veggies (say a bunch of dandelions greens or parsley roots). Overall, I liked what I got from Farmstead at Charlotte Hall. The farmer's markets around here are so expensive that their CSA was a relatively decent value (though it was pretty expensive at around $25 a week).

I tried Bull Run and Farmstead at Charlotte Hall last year (I committed to Bull Run early and then hedged when I heard bad things about them).

Bull Run was a poor experience. Leigh, the owner, doesn't bag or wash his vegetables. Nor does he shade his picked veggies and they all bake in the late afternoon sun. This causes a lot of wilting in the summer and makes his greens largely inedible. He also tends to put off harvesting until his fruit and root veggies get really big, so you end up with woody eggplants and baseball bat zucchini. Other times, they're laughably inadequate, like the week when he offered 4 radishes per share. It's a shame that Leigh's veggies suck so much (and it's always one excuse after another for why his veggies suck, even though my other CSA and the local farmer's market had a great year) because he offers a convenient egg share and a nice fruit share. Leigh also grows a huge amount of pretty nice basil, so I was able to freeze a lot pesto last year. Overall, I'd advise everyone to stay away from Bull Run, it's the sort of CSA that turns people off of the CSA concept.

Farmstead at Charlotte Hall was much better. They bagged and washed everything and I got a good mix every week. They manage their shares really well, I never got eggplants or summer squash twice in a row. Even for high summer tomatoes, they try to mix it up by offering grape tomatoes one week, beeksteaks the next, 6-ozers the week after. Everything I got was in pristine, farmer's market condition, picked right at the peak. I always got enough of a variety to make a dish or two. My only possible complaint about this CSA is that their selection is a bit too safe. The tomatoes seem to be well grown commercial hybrids (though pretty tasty) rather than heirlooms. Not too many herbs. No surprise veggies (say a bunch of dandelions greens or parsley roots). Overall, I liked what I got from Farmstead at Charlotte Hall. The farmer's markets around here are so expensive that their CSA was a relatively decent value (though it was pretty expensive at around $25 a week).

Have you communicated the above critique to Bull Run's owner, both why you disliked his service and what you preferred about Charlotte Hall's? You'd be doing him a favor. It sounds as if he culled the seconds, that wouldn't sell at the farmers' market, and gave it to the CSA subscribers. He needs to sell/give that lower quality produce to the gleaners and give his CSA customers first quality stuff, if he wants them to return year after year.

Have you communicated the above critique to Bull Run's owner, both why you disliked his service and what you preferred about Charlotte Hall's? You'd be doing him a favor. It sounds as if he culled the seconds, that wouldn't sell at the farmers' market, and gave it to the CSA subscribers. He needs to sell/give that lower quality produce to the gleaners and give his CSA customers first quality stuff, if he wants them to return year after year.

Having done Bull Run and having pretty much sworn off CSA's as a result, I didn't get a sense that the owners had any interest in feedback. But some people must be happy because they are still in business.

I don't think complaining would make any difference. Bull Run doesn't do farmer's markets, so what I got was everything they picked. Also, Bull Run has been around for a long time, so these are not rookie mistakes. They either couldn't get better or didn't care enough to do better.

(Farmstead at Charlotte Hall actually does farmer's markets in addition to CSA shares, but I never thought I got castoffs from them.)

I'm also afraid to complain to Leigh because I don't want to be on his bad side. Leigh's typical CSA share email might be 3/4 composed of a rant against a local bear. I suspect he has a nasty temper if he thinks you're against him (and I am).

I think the reason why Leigh manages to get customers is that he's one of the few who deliver to the DuPont Circle area. I've tried for years to get onto the Claggett's Farm DuPont Circle CSA with no luck at all. Most Bull Run customers probably don't realize CSAs could and should be run much better than Bull Run.

I think what aggrevates me the most about Bull Run is that it turned folks like Bookluvingbabe against CSA membership because of a bad experience with Leigh. If I hadn't tried Farmstead in addition to Bull Run, I would have given up too.

SnowBear Farm still has shares in their CSA. They also come to Bloomingdale Farmers' market on Sundays May-November. They are certified Naturally Grown, an organic certification for small farms and I have been very impressed by the quality and taste of their produce at the market-- I have not been part of the CSA so I cannot speak to that. Their farm in in Loudoun Country.

I don't think complaining would make any difference. Bull Run doesn't do farmer's markets, so what I got was everything they picked. Also, Bull Run has been around for a long time, so these are not rookie mistakes. They either couldn't get better or didn't care enough to do better.

(Farmstead at Charlotte Hall actually does farmer's markets in addition to CSA shares, but I never thought I got castoffs from them.)

I'm also afraid to complain to Leigh because I don't want to be on his bad side. Leigh's typical CSA share email might be 3/4 composed of a rant against a local bear. I suspect he has a nasty temper if he thinks you're against him (and I am).

I think the reason why Leigh manages to get customers is that he's one of the few who deliver to the DuPont Circle area. I've tried for years to get onto the Claggett's Farm DuPont Circle CSA with no luck at all. Most Bull Run customers probably don't realize CSAs could and should be run much better than Bull Run.

I think what aggrevates me the most about Bull Run is that it turned folks like Bookluvingbabe against CSA membership because of a bad experience with Leigh. If I hadn't tried Farmstead in addition to Bull Run, I would have given up too.

Having been a Bull Run CSA subscriber for the past several years, I've had a vastly different experience. Perhaps the Alexandria pickup offers better selection and service? I have heard from other Bull Run customers that their produce differed wildly from mine. Weeks where I received outstanding watermelon, for instance, they received the same old squash varieties.

I certainly agree that the produce could use more washing before pickup. I don't mind the extra few minutes of prep time. But then again I host Farm Share Dinner Night on CSA pickup days and have a host of helpers.

Nasty temper? Wow. Not that I've ever seen. Leigh has never been anything but gracious and giving and beaming with pride about the growing season.

And ranting against a local bear. Wowsquared. Leigh's humorous farm anecdote emails are half the reason I subscribe to his farm share. His writing offers a rare glimpse of "hits me in the plate" farm life to which I would not otherwise have access.

It's important that you find a CSA, or any local produce mechanism, that works for you. Sounds like Bull Run was nowhere near hitting that mark. But please do not think all Bull Run customers are as dissatisfied.

(csas = ymmv)

(but keep on the quest for)

(fewer miles between farm-to-table)

post-5654-126896114775_thumb.jpg

post-5654-126896115307_thumb.jpg

post-5654-126896115746_thumb.jpg

post-5654-126896116128_thumb.jpg

post-5654-126896116629_thumb.jpg

post-5654-126896117238_thumb.jpg

post-5654-126896125121_thumb.jpg

And ranting against a local bear. Wowsquared. Leigh's humorous farm anecdote emails are half the reason I subscribe to his farm share. His writing offers a rare glimpse of "hits me in the plate" farm life to which I would not otherwise have access

Yes, definitely not my thing. From the other CSA, I got lovely recipes and useful reports. Leigh's emails just rambled on and on.

I'm glad you made it work for you, but I really can't imagine how Bull Run would ever rank above a CSA that wash and bag their veggies, pick them at the right time, shelters their produce from the hot sun, and has twice as long of a tomato season.

It's important that you find a CSA, or any local produce mechanism, that works for you. Sounds like Bull Run was nowhere near hitting that mark. But please do not think all Bull Run customers are as dissatisfied.

(csas = ymmv)

(but keep on the quest for)

(fewer miles between farm-to-table)

I'm not saying that Bull Run customers are all unsatisfied, but based on what I read in this thread and elsewhere online, I would say a large portion of them were not satisfied, and worse yet, the poor experience may have caused them to give up on one of the best ways to get locally grown foods.

I'm sorry that my comments may have came off as attacking your more positive experience. I'm glad to hear that you feel that you got good value from your share. However, I would say that people who want to try CSAs for the first time should stay away from Bull Run (even though they're among the cheapest and easiest CSA to get into), ask the farmer questions about how they process and pack their veggies, and consider splitting a share with a friend for the first year.

I'm not saying that Bull Run customers are all unsatisfied, but based on what I read in this thread and elsewhere online, I would say a large portion of them were not satisfied, and worse yet, the poor experience may have caused them to give up on one of the best ways to get locally grown foods.

I'm sorry that my comments may have came off as attacking your more positive experience. I'm glad to hear that you feel that you got good value from your share. However, I would say that people who want to try CSAs for the first time should stay away from Bull Run (even though they're among the cheapest and easiest CSA to get into), ask the farmer questions about how they process and pack their veggies, and consider splitting a share with a friend for the first year.

I'd add "make sure you choose a conveniently located pickup site". In their initial enthusiasm, several folks I know have chosen a CSA several miles away from work or home. During their first subscription year, they were often deterred by traffic or last minute schedule changes and never made it to the pickup site. By the end of their share, they had missed many pickups, and did not see it as a good value or easy enough to build into their lifestyle.

CSAs are certainly not for everyone. The discipline of grappling with a weekly infusion of sometimes strange, sometimes repetitive, and sometimes short (during droughts) vegetables can provide a significant challenge. But, as you note, it's a fantastic method for enjoying local abundance and getting back in touch with what's seasonal.

Has anyone in this thread already mentioned the Food Matters CSA? It's already started. Pickups are on Saturday. When I see subscibers leave with their bags, it seems to be a gorgeous entourage from several local farms. The last time I heard they were not sold out, but that was a few weeks ago.

(and if i had a garden)

(i'd garden in the morning)

(i'd garden in the evening)

(all over this land)

Frank at Old City Green (at 9th and N, NW) is trying to start a CSA this year, if he can get enough interest.

From his website (www.oldcitygreen.com):

Lancaster Farm Fresh Cooperative is working with Old City Green to bring CSA shares, pastured animal, dairy and value-added products to you!

If you would like to bring healthfullocally-grown food to your family, please contact them at 717-656-3533 or

csa@lancasterfarmresh.com or visit their website, www.lancasterfarmfresh.com

I guess I don't get why the kohlrabi talk was moved to a dead thread that hasn't had a post since 2008, since someone expressly said that kohlrabi is a reason why they don't do CSA, is it not relevant to this discussion? I love the odd stuff I get from CSA, but not everyone does, and it's an important part of the discussion of the merits of CSA.

I guess I still don't understand posting protocol here. *shrugs*

I guess I don't get why the kohlrabi talk was moved to a dead thread that hasn't had a post since 2008, since someone expressly said that kohlrabi is a reason why they don't do CSA, is it not relevant to this discussion? I love the odd stuff I get from CSA, but not everyone does, and it's an important part of the discussion of the merits of CSA.

I guess I still don't understand posting protocol here. *shrugs*

It was moved in order to resurrect the thread, as it started to involve ideas for how to prepare kohlrabi. So now if someone gets kohlrabi and thinks, "Gosh, what the heck do I do with this bizarre thing?" s/he can go to the "Cooking" index, find the "Kohlrabi" thread, and get some ideas!

It's not that the posts were in the wrong place to begin with, just that they have a better home in that thread now. ;)

I don't actually care for turnips. I have tried to like kohlrabi, since I first encountered one at my local farmers market. Done all kinds of things with it. They are just tasteless. Which is one of the reasons why I don't join the CSA on offer in my neighborhood. I'm afraid I'll open the box and find a kohlrabi in there. ;)

It's always possible, with a CSA, that one will get something that one needs to gift to an afficianado. I cultivate such aficianadoes, and gift the occasional "treasure" that I can't appreciate in my CSA bag (like habanero peppers or cilantro).

It's always possible, with a CSA, that one will get something that one needs to gift to an afficianado. I cultivate such aficianadoes, and gift the occasional "treasure" that I can't appreciate in my CSA bag (like habanero peppers or cilantro).

Well, there you are. I will happily accept all your habeneros and cilantro. Different strokes.... I'm just happy that my local farmer has a system where, during the winter, you can pick and choose online whatever you want and pick it up on a two-week basis. Seriously, I am completely happy with this. I can't imagine that any CSA exists that will provide all the tomatoes and basil I require during the growing season.

I picked up our first CSA share this past Thursday and got to meet the farmers (we're using Gorman Farms in Laurel, MD). We had baby lettuce, oak leaf lettuce, cabbage, swiss chard, spring onions, garlic, and radishes. I am looking forward to this magic in a box every week. I say this now, of course, know I might get too much of a good thing over time, but for now it is exciting!

I've noticed that many CSAs that have been brought up on this thread are under the model of strict shares (though I admit I scanned VERY quickly). I live in Richmond, VA and my vegetable CSA (Victory Farms) operates under a model where we pay a flat fee up front and then we have the cost of the produce purchased in a given week deducted from our total. This lasts as long as our CSA season lasts. I love the flexibility this gives us and I have had few problems with over purchasing or under purchasing in a given week. Additionally, if the season permits a bumper crop of a particular produce (last summer it was tomatoes), we get a discount on the purchase of large quantities and I run to the local cannery and can the extra. We've been members for 3 years of our veggie CSA, and I will happily sign up again next year. I'm dreading the absence of fresh, local veggies as our season comes to a close so much that I'm starting to grow some things at home as a first experiment into winter veggies.

Understandably, with the sheer volume of patrons in the DC area, farmers may feel a bit overwhelmed to maintain books with a model I've described and may find it easier to prepare shares. Certainly, my fruit CSA (Agriberry) has worked under the weekly share model and we have extras, but I've been freezing and drying fruit all summer in anticipation of smoothies and other goodies throughout the summer. We were lucky with our CSAs, and I trust my growers. However, I made sure to contact both ahead of time and visit websites to get a sense of how the farm did business as well as their growing practices.

Additionally, if the season permits a bumper crop of a particular produce (last summer it was tomatoes), we get a discount on the purchase of large quantities and I run to the local cannery and can the extra.

Do you get a discount or "front of the line" privileges for other than quantity buys in exchange for paying in advance?

Do you get a discount or "front of the line" privileges for other than quantity buys in exchange for paying in advance?

For the extra crops we get a discount. As an example, last year we purchased a bushel of tomatoes when our grower announced that extra quantities would be available for purchase via e-mail. We reserved our quantity a few days prior to pick up and took our tomatoes home at the next visit to the market. We still had quite a bit on our total, so we paid for the bushel using our credit rather than shelling out any additional cash.

On a weekly basis, our grower has two sections at the market, one for CSA members which might have some produce special for CSA members or at the beginning/end of their growing season and one for the public. CSA members are allowed to purchase from either section. I suppose this would qualify as "front of the line" privileges. As far as other benefits for CSA members, we have a few. First, although our membership is one price, our CSA gives members a $100 credit. Specifically, we pay $500 for a season membership and start a season with $600 in credit for purchase. A CSA season usually goes from (approximately) late April to Early September. Additionally, now that our CSA season is now over but the growing season isn't, we receive a 20% discount on all purchases for the rest of the season (end of November). Finally, our CSA has an annual picnic in the summer at the farm, where members bring dishes made with produce purchased from the farm and our growers provide meat purchased from one of the local farms and cooked by an up and coming Richmond chef. I feel like we are getting plenty of value for our membership, we see where our produce is coming from and we maintain an engaged "community".

For the extra crops we get a discount. As an example, last year we purchased a bushel of tomatoes when our grower announced that extra quantities would be available for purchase via e-mail. We reserved our quantity a few days prior to pick up and took our tomatoes home at the next visit to the market. We still had quite a bit on our total, so we paid for the bushel using our credit rather than shelling out any additional cash.

On a weekly basis, our grower has two sections at the market, one for CSA members which might have some produce special for CSA members or at the beginning/end of their growing season and one for the public. CSA members are allowed to purchase from either section. I suppose this would qualify as "front of the line" privileges. As far as other benefits for CSA members, we have a few. First, although our membership is one price, our CSA gives members a $100 credit. Specifically, we pay $500 for a season membership and start a season with $600 in credit for purchase. A CSA season usually goes from (approximately) late April to Early September. Additionally, now that our CSA season is now over but the growing season isn't, we receive a 20% discount on all purchases for the rest of the season (end of November). Finally, our CSA has an annual picnic in the summer at the farm, where members bring dishes made with produce purchased from the farm and our growers provide meat purchased from one of the local farms and cooked by an up and coming Richmond chef. I feel like we are getting plenty of value for our membership, we see where our produce is coming from and we maintain an engaged "community".

That is a good deal!

Does anybody have experience with the CSA from Earth Springs Farm? There is a posting to our neighborhood listserv that they will start delivering to Bloomingdale this summer (Big Bear Cafe). From their website:

Currently we serve the greater Harrisburg area in PA and Washington DC. In Pennsylvania we deliver Wednesdays to Harrisburg, Hummelstown, Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Dillsburg, York, Carlisle and Mt. Holly. Around Washington DC we deliver Thursdays to Annandale, Arlington, Mt. Pleasant, Petworth, Tacoma Park, Mt. Rainer, Riverdale Park, Greenbelt and Potomac.

I confess I've never heard of them, so I don't know if their DC area deliveries are all new this year or just Bloomingdale (not listed above). Pricing seems pretty standard for a 20-week delivery.

I am passing on doing a CSA for a second time. Last year was my first time, and, even with just half of a shared full share, I was overwhelmed with the quantity and I lost a fair amount due to spoilage no matter how hard I tried to keep up. I'll still buy from Gorman Farms' stand, I just think CSA is not the right fit for me.

Does anybody have experience with the CSA from Earth Springs Farm? There is a posting to our neighborhood listserv that they will start delivering to Bloomingdale this summer (Big Bear Cafe). From their website:

I confess I've never heard of them, so I don't know if their DC area deliveries are all new this year or just Bloomingdale (not listed above). Pricing seems pretty standard for a 20-week delivery.

The owner has a lot of experience working on a farm in Austen, Texas. They have a stand at the Riverdale FM. They had a 90 member CSA last year and they are doubling it for this year. They will do drop offs in any neighborhood with at least five subscribers. The DC drop offs will be on Thursdays, PA on Wednesday.

I just signed up for Bigg Riggs' CSA, which picks up at Maple Avenue Market in downtown Vienna. The farm is in Hampshire County, WV, so the distance isn't very green...but the pickup time and location in Vienna are ideal for us. Maple Avenue Market also does their own 'CSA'. You basically buy $400 store credits for $300. Pretty good deal as they have a nice variety of regional goods plus seasonal produce from their farm in Great Falls, VA. Does anyone have any familiarity with Maple Avenue Market or Bigg Riggs CSA?

Does anyone have any familiarity with Maple Avenue Market or Bigg Riggs CSA?

I believe this is the first year Maple Avenue Market has offered their own CSA, as Sara and Chris, the owners, only rented their farm at the end of the CSA season last year. I have not tried Bigg Riggs's but have not heard anything bad.

Anyone here subscribe to Potomac Vegetable Farms' CSA? I've heard good things about these folks overall and my upcoming move will get me close to a pickup points. I'm debating between the regular and the "robust" shares. The description of the robust share make it sound like too much food for two non-vegetarian adults, but I'm always tempted by these spend 30% more to get twice as much food deals and the regular share doesn't look very big.

Anyone here subscribe to Potomac Vegetable Farms' CSA? I've heard good things about these folks overall and my upcoming move will get me close to a pickup points. I'm debating between the regular and the "robust" shares. The description of the robust share make it sound like too much food for two non-vegetarian adults, but I'm always tempted by these spend 30% more to get twice as much food deals and the regular share doesn't look very big.

I have never been a CSA member, so weigh the value of the following, biased response accordingly: PVF has a really positive, august reputation in this agricultural region. Its farm managers, Casey and Stacey, are a young, enthusiastic team who worked together most recently at Farm at Sunnyside where they helped move the organic farm in new directions under the exemplary leadership of a terrific farmer who started her career at New Morning Farm, a founding member of the Tuscarora Organic Growers Cooperative. Potomac Vegetable Farms has ties with Next Step Produce, too. You'll have to check their website to see if it's still the case, but Heinz Thomet (NSP) used to contribute to PVF's CSA during the height of the growing season. If you don't have the time to shop regularly at a farmers market and like to plan your meals around fresh produce that is selected for you, I recommend joining.

I've been a member of Potomac Vegetable Farms for 3 years (I think) and just signed up for my fourth year. My husband and I love the vegetables, and love the chance to try some that are unfamiliar. The regular share is more than enough for 2 people who don't eat out very often. I've ended up sharing with neighbors and friends at times when I had excess (or had something like cilantro that I dislike). I don't recommend going for the robust share for a family of 2 adults, especially if you're not vegetarian. It will overwhelm you. If you want more details on what we've gotten in the past, I would be happy to be your friend on facebook so that you can see photos and lists I've posted in previous years. I'm Scottee Maddox Meade on Facebook.

Thanks Scottee! That's exactly the information that I was looking for. A friend of mine said something similar, though she mentioned that she also supplements with some farmer's market items for more variety. She also said that the flower shares were gorgeous last year.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they have an opening for the pick up location near my new home!

If you live near DuPont Circle and want to participate in a CSA, Clagett Farm's CSA is signing up to new members on March 6, at 5 PM. I mention this one because it's a pretty well regarded CSA and usually impossible to get into their DuPont Circle shares, but they have a relatively large number of open spots this year because they didn't secure a delivery site until very recently. More information at http://cbf.typepad.com/clagett_farm/.

If you live near DuPont Circle and want to participate in a CSA, Clagett Farm's CSA is signing up to new members on March 6, at 5 PM. I mention this one because it's a pretty well regarded CSA and usually impossible to get into their DuPont Circle shares, but they have a relatively large number of open spots this year because they didn't secure a delivery site until very recently. More information at http://cbf.typepad.com/clagett_farm/.

I signed up for Clagett based on the DuPont pickup (living in Cleveland Park and the 6-8pm pickup is actually perfect for me). Its my first go at a CSA but I'm looking forward to it.

Despite price increases I purchased my Gorman Farm CSA again this year. A friend and I share a full share. Having read some of the older posts on here makes me very appreciative of what Gorman Farm does. They don't sell to farmers markets but do have their own farm stand on the property so when we go to pick up our CSA, there's a chalkboard listing what we get and in what quantity that week. We help ourselves, which means we get to hand pick our produce. We also often have choices (like they'll have several types of small tomatoes - cherry, sungold, etc. - and we're entitled to a pint of whichever we'd like). We can also purchase additional produce, more of what we got or things that weren't included at a discount. They farm completely organically.

I always find the amounts of food we get to be generous and the last pick up of the season last year when the market was closing was an insane amount of stuff.

By the way, I know this is an older discussion, but I for one am glad that Gorman neither washes nor bags our items. I try to avoid using plastic bags as much as possible because of the resources required to make them and the waste when you're done with them and think that would be a value many folks purcashing farm shares would agree with. I'd also prefer to take a few minutes to wash my own produce rather than incur that additional labor/water cost in the cost of my share. They do provide us with 2 reuseable grocery bags each year in which to take our share home (and there are plastic bags available if people insist on using them for certain items).

I decided to join a CSA recently - mainly, I made the jump because I want to eat more (and more varied) vegetables, and because the quality at my Harris Teeter store is inconsistent at best.  I opted for Smucker Farms of Lancaster County (http://www.smuckerfarmsdc.com/?page_id=37), which has a brick-and-mortar store at 14th and V.  I got my first pickup on Tuesday, and here's what I got:

Red-leaf lettuce (1 large head)

Kale (1 large stalk)

Leek (1, but it was huge)

Bok choy (it actually wasn't in the CSA share, but they had extra and invited us to take it if we liked it - and I love bok choy)

Apples (3 - red gala and golden)

Green bell peppers (3)

Onions (4 - red and yellow)

Acorn squash (1)

Butternut squash (1)

Spinach (1 large bunch)

Carrots (4-6)

Hot peppers (small bag with about 6)

One dozen eggs

I felt like it was a TON of food.  I have already sauteed the spinach and some of the hot peppers, and I used the kale and leek for "beans and greens" (which I ate for breakfast this morning - yum).  I'm planning on roasting the acorn squash, and I have a recipe for a butternut/onion/apple gratin that I think I'll attempt tonight.  I love that the combinations of items make me more creative in the kitchen.

The store is awesome and has TONS of other stuff (including beer and wine), but I managed only to buy some chocolate milk and iced coffee concentrate.  I could have done a LOT more damage.

I was hesitant to join a winter CSA, since how many greens can I possibly eat - but they promised to supplement the shares with milk, cheese, and eggs to make up for any weeks that the produce isn't quite enough.  For November through April, one pickup a week, the cost was $775 (which averages out to be what I consider a VERY reasonable $31/week).

Has anyone else bought from Smucker Farms before?

• Like 1

Query Mill Farm CSA, in Montgomery County, has a few openings for the season. Inquire at querymillfarm@hotmail.com.

They do require pay upfront for the season (30 weeks x $20/week, plus a small delivery fee if you choose delivery rather than pickup), checks preferred (no plastic).

They produce a newsletter every week detailing what is coming the following week, and you have (some) ability to substitute if there's an item you don't want. I am not connected with the farm, other than having been a CSA subscriber for almost a decade. I get a grocery cloth bag full of produce every week, way more produce than my $20 would get at a farmers market or grocery store. And it's turned me on to some greens that I never would have bought on my own.

The season runs from May-November (they just started this week).

Query Mill Farm has been in operation in Montgomery County for nearly 40 years. They grow organically on 1 1/2 acres, but are not certified. They emphasize American heirlooms and special European and Asian varieties. They feature heirloom tomatoes, season-long lettuce, and multitude of greens. No tree fruits. While they used to sell at local farmers markets, they have recently switched to CSA-only.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DanielK said:

Query Mill Farm CSA, in Montgomery County, has a few openings for the season. Inquire at querymillfarm@hotmail.com.

They do require pay upfront for the season (30 weeks x $20/week, plus a small delivery fee if you choose delivery rather than pickup), checks preferred (no plastic).

They produce a newsletter every week detailing what is coming the following week, and you have (some) ability to substitute if there's an item you don't want. I am not connected with the farm, other than having been a CSA subscriber for almost a decade. I get a grocery cloth bag full of produce every week, way more produce than my $20 would get at a farmers market or grocery store. And it's turned me on to some greens that I never would have bought on my own.

The season runs from May-November (they just started this week).

Query Mill Farm has been in operation in Montgomery County for nearly 40 years. They grow organically on 1 1/2 acres, but are not certified. They emphasize American heirlooms and special European and Asian varieties. They feature heirloom tomatoes, season-long lettuce, and multitude of greens. No tree fruits. While they used to sell at local farmers markets, they have recently switched to CSA-only.

Is pickup only on the farm?

4 minutes ago, zgast said:

Is pickup only on the farm?

I think so. They used to offer pickup at their farmers market appearances, but now that they're not doing those...

The farm is located in Darnestown, near River and Travilah. Not sure the delivery range - he comes to me near Falls/Montrose, and charges a paltry $1/week for delivery (there might be a friends discount in my fee, not sure).

• Like 1

Any current CSA recommendations, particularly for delivery into DC?  Ideally looking for a mixture of produce (including fruit) with dairy and meat.  Farmbus looks pretty good (though you have to go to Eastern Market to pick it up each week). What else are people doing (or looking into)?