The Red Hen - Regional Italian in Bloomingdale with Chef-Owner Michael Friedman and GM-Owner Mike-O'Malley

Another solid meal (at the bar) this weekend at Red Hen before a show at 9:30.  I don't feel the need for a full report, but I wanted to give a special shout out the the Black paccheri with calamari and pickled peppers.  I had it Friday, and am still thinking about it.  Go order a bowl and some fried artichokes.

We knew what we were getting into when we waltzed into Red Hen at 7:30-7:45 on a Saturday with no reservation (well, we would never have a reservation, since we prefer to eat at the bar) - that said, it only took 10-15 minutes to snag one seat at the bar, and then probably another 20-30 to snag an adjacent one.  When we left at around 9:30, the wait for bar seats looked like it was still 2 deep.

We ordered an app and two pastas, and all were delicious - the highlight for me was the salmon crudo, with just the right amount of horseradish and chives, and topped with crispy potato chips.  It reminded me of a really good beef tartare, in the best possible way.

Still love the rose they have by the glass.

I'm never home anymore (full disclosure blah blah blah), but remember when we used to have big ol', sling-bottles-across-the-room wine happy hours at Corduroy in its old Four Points location? While I would still advocate doing that at the current Corduroy location, the list at Red Hen is more than worthy of the same treatment, and plenty edgy. I just wish I could join y'all.

• Like 2

I'm never home anymore (full disclosure blah blah blah), but remember when we used to have big ol', sling-bottles-across-the-room wine happy hours at Corduroy in its old Four Points location? While I would still advocate doing that at the current Corduroy location, the list at Red Hen is more than worthy of the same treatment, and plenty edgy. I just wish I could join y'all.

[i'm Don Rockwell, and I approve of this message (both for Corduroy, and for The Red Hen). Why doesn't someone organize a happy hour, and put it in the Events and Gatherings forum?]

Shit, Ill throw up a Rose happy hour situation for yall.  Let me know.

Seb

Ok, I am going to say Friday May 2nd we get the old Friday HHs rolling again.

Thanks, but we certainly don't need anything special setup...although I do enjoy Rosé...

I had dinner here two months ago and am sure Mr.'s Friedman, Zutant, and O'Malley have been wondering the last few weeks, "I wonder if that random guy from Virginia ever came to our restaurant and why didn't he post on social media about it?"

Gentlemen, my apologies. I did go, and it was awesome.  Like, really, really awesome.

We arrived at 5:45pm on a Saturday, hoping to put our name on the list and grab a cocktail around the corner while we waited. The restaurant was about 75% full and we were asked if we wanted to be seated right away. Sure. Perfect.

I love the décor of the restaurant and even when it was packed (which was about 30 minutes after we arrived), it wasn't too loud. We started with cocktails, my wife having the lovely Ms. Haversham or something like that and I had a great Manhattan.

I've forgotten our server's name, I'm not sure if I ever even knew it, but she was a petit brunette, with short hair and a few tattoos and she was awesome.  Really pleasant, great menu suggestions, deftly handled drink pairings, and we just let her pretty much order everything.

There were no low-lights- not a single dish I had a quibble with. Two months later, I still recall we had the fresh ricotta crostini with truffle honey and balsamic, the roasted octopus, the burratta, the salt cod brandade, the spaghetti squash with hazlenuts, and the rabbit sugo.  Loved every one of these dishes. Every damn one. And at that point, something happened that hardly ever happens when we go out to dinner. I was full. I actually went to an extraordinary restaurant and spent less than $60 on food for two people and was stuffed. I've spent $500 and stopped for a slice on the way home so this was a welcome change.

The beverage program was interesting and superb. Can't remember everything we drank (our bar bill was much higher than our food bill), but we had several orange wines, which were delightful, all of which were recommended by our server. Which brings me to the highlight of the dinner. The Rabbit Sugo came with homemade fettuccine and some mustardy breadcrumbs and was just a great dish. But our server told us we had to have a few glasses of the French cider by the glass to accompany the dish. Cider isn't one of my favorite beverages, but that cider raised that dish to one of the best food and wine pairings I've ever had. Applause all around.

A little more than two hours after we arrived, I placed my DR.com Dining card down with my Wells Fargo Visa Card and received no discount whatsoever. So, WTF is up with that?

At any rate, for my money, this is the best new restaurant in DC and I look forward to coming back as often as I can. If I was a better writer, perhaps I would rave more. I'm not, so I can't, but this is a great restaurant. Just superb.

• Like 4

Ok, I am going to say Friday May 2nd we get the old Friday HHs rolling again.

I'd be down for that.

Thanks, but we certainly don't need anything special setup...although I do enjoy Rosé...

Except for having 9-1- already dialed so that they just have to enter the last digit.

Brought the parents to Red Hen for dinner on Saturday night - we got there and put our name in around 6:15, and they were ready for us by 6:45-ish (just enough time to go over to Boundary Stone and have a drink).  Ejon was our server, and he was awesome - read our table perfectly and made some great menu suggestions.  We had a round of sparkling wine/cocktails, and then we ordered a bottle of wine.  There was a really good octopus appetizer - totally tender, not chewy at all, and with a nice smoky flavor that was noticeable but not overpowering.  Salmon and tongue apps were also great.  For entrees, I know there was chicken and halibut at the table, but I was completely and fully engrossed in my cacio e pepe (off menu, recommended by our server) - when it is done right, it is one of my favorite things to eat, and it was definitely done right.  YUM.  I ordered the maple custard for dessert, and it was great, as was the cappucino I sipped with it.  Everyone else raved about their desserts and after-dinner drinks.  The whole experience was just delicious and thoroughly enjoyable.  Can't wait to come back for more!

• Like 2

Anyone have an idea of the typical wait/how busy it gets on a weeknight? Thinking of hitting it up for a childless double date with our neighbors since we both have family in town to watch the kids, but don't necessarily want to be out for hours.

Sorry to be slightly off-topic, but I've always wondered what the tag "Regional Italian," which is applied to this thread, means. Is it meant to indicate an Italian restaurant serving food from only one or more than one region of Italy?

BTH, The Red Hen Does not use this terminology anywhere on their web site, calling themselves "an Italian-influenced American restaurant." And it's the only restaurant on dr.com to which the "regional Italian" tag is applied.

Anyone have an idea of the typical wait/how busy it gets on a weeknight? Thinking of hitting it up for a childless double date with our neighbors since we both have family in town to watch the kids, but don't necessarily want to be out for hours.

During the week you should be fine...There will be a wait, but it shouldn't be unreasonable.  We went with a party of 4 with no reservations at 7:30 last Friday, and waited less than 30 minutes.  I wouldn't call that typical though.

Don't skip the pasta with calimari and pickled peppers...

During the week you should be fine...There will be a wait, but it shouldn't be unreasonable.  We went with a party of 4 with no reservations at 7:30 last Friday, and waited less than 30 minutes.  I wouldn't call that typical though.

Don't skip the pasta with calimari and pickled peppers...

That's usually the case, but waiting until 7:30 is a gamble on any given night (could easily be in the 90 minute range).  It's a spectator sport watching people standing on the corner of 1st/RI Ave deciding where to go while waiting for their tables around that time!  If you can dine early (say by 6:00) you shouldn't have a problem getting in right away.  With the recent RAMMY news I would expect even longer waits than usual for the near future.

That's usually the case, but waiting until 7:30 is a gamble on any given night (could easily be in the 90 minute range).  It's a spectator sport watching people standing on the corner of 1st/RI Ave deciding where to go while waiting for their tables around that time!  If you can dine early (say by 6:00) you shouldn't have a problem getting in right away.  With the recent RAMMY news I would expect even longer waits than usual for the near future.

They were making a joke during their RAMMY acceptance speech, but bristled at The Washington Post's treatment of it as something more than that (refer to yesterday's Tom Sietsema Chat up near the top). Although it's quite clear Red Hen respects Rose's Luxury (and did so with good humor and class during their acceptance speech), they are by no means under the impression that they play second fiddle. It was an interesting, strong letter - at once respectful (of Rose's Luxury) and self-confident (about themselves).

• Like 1

So I finally made it to red hen, and promptly ran into an old coworker. this can be such a small town at times! we ended up having to wait around 25 minutes for our reservation, which would have vexed me if the MIL's knee had been acting up. Fortunately, she was able to cope with the extra standing. Lesson learned; probably best to not bother with reservations (trying to plan weeks out is incredibly painful), and just go early in the middle of the week.

If one is going to loiter at the bar, one might as well drink: "A Beautiful Snowflake" with mezcal, hellfire bitters, dry curacao, and agave was the hit of the evening. I also had "The Man is Five" which was tasty but also earwormed me with the Pixies for the rest of the night.

We started off with the ricotta crostini, the citrus cured salmon, and the salt cod brandade. The cod was probably the standout of the bunch; I'm allergic to dill so had to pass on the salmon.

For mains we had the rigatoni with sausage, the fra diavolo chicken, and the scallops. I liked the rigatoni the best; my companions preferred the scallops. The chicken was very good but paled into the background next to the other two. Our server also brought out a side of fingerling potatoes by way of apology for the earlier wait, which were utterly delicious. Crafty, too, as now we will have to order them any time we go back. They were really really good.

And then, because clearly we hadn't eaten enough, we got the brownie, the lemon tart, and the maple custard. The sugar content of the first two gave me an uncomfortable buzz, but the custard was perfection.

Loved the space; it was very cosy and welcoming. We'll be back.

• Like 1

I also had "The Man is Five" which was tasty but also earwormed me with the Pixies for the rest of the night.

You say that like it's a bad thing. The first time I went, all the cocktails were named with Morrissey lyrics, forever cementing my love of the restaurant before I tasted a thing.

• Like 1

So, I'm taking Bob out to Red Hen tomorrow for his birthday--our first time there. Is there anything on the current summer menu that we shouldn't miss? Also, I gather from other posts that the pasta dishes are entree-sized, and so probably don't work as a second course before an entree? Drink recommendations?

So, I'm taking Bob out to Red Hen tomorrow for his birthday--our first time there. Is there anything on the current summer menu that we shouldn't miss? Also, I gather from other posts that the pasta dishes are entree-sized, and so probably don't work as a second course before an entree? Drink recommendations?

We were there a couple of weeks ago to celebrate my birthday.  The Beef Tongue starter was excellent, as was the Grilled Octopus.  For pasta, their signature pasta is the Rigatoni with Fennel Sausage Ragu -- it's great.  It's not on the menu, but if you ask, they'll make you Cacio e Pepe pasta which I had and it was very, very good -- not quite as good as the CeP I had at Rose's Luxury, but way better than I had at Casa Luca.  While I didn't have it on this last visit, I've had the Wood Grilled Chicken in the past and really enjoyed it.  As far as drinks go, if you're interested in cocktails, I had a Gin Rickey that was excellent.  For wine, put yourselves in the hands of Sebastian.

• Like 1

A lovely birthday dinner for Bob here tonight, our first visit here (I don't know why it didn't register with me before that it's only a few blocks off of our regular bus ride on the 96). Our cocktails were terrific; "The Big Kahuna Cooler" features madeira, Dolin blanc, and mint/tarragon, served up, and is luscious; Bob's "All the Best Diseases Are Taken," with rye, lemon bitters, and Amere Sauvage Gentian Liqueur, had a bit more of an anise flavor. The only issue with the heirloom tomato crostini with smoked ricotta (two large pieces), is that the ricotta really didn't taste all that smoky. On the other hand, the heirloom beet salad with wheatberries, pistachios, caper vinaigrette, and smoked mozzarella was a terrific variation on what has become hackneyed (LOTS of wheat berries, but again, the cheese didn't seem especially smoky). I went for the wood-roasted chicken, now done in a "Fra Diavolo" style with kale and fingerlings; four small, moist thigh/leg combos, with a pleasant mild heat (sort of a sriracha flavor?). Bob had the black paccheri with calamari, another terrific combo. If there was a weak spot, it was with the lackluster dessert (peach crumble cake with pistachio ice cream), but good housemade ginepi and cherry brandy made up for that. Our server was attentive, but unfortunately was not up on the drinks menu, which meant he had to go back to answer some of our questions. I can understand the enthusiasm; this is a near-perfect neighborhood restaurant, and Bob had what I think was his most-enjoyed birthday dinners in years (and the lovely evening didn't hurt!). Count me pleased.

• Like 1

^ - I have not been in a few months....but this is still my favorite restaurant in the city right now.

Walk in early (before 6) should be no problem/minimal wait. Later? Be a savvy bar patron and position yourself to grab a seat or two when they become available....or put your name on the list and go have a drink at Boundary Stone.

Does anyone have a recent experience here?  How hard will it be for a party of two to walk in on Saturday night (sitting at the bar is perfectly fine)?

^ - I have not been in a few months....but this is still my favorite restaurant in the city right now.

Walk in early (before 6) should be no problem/minimal wait. Later? Be a savvy bar patron and position yourself to grab a seat or two when they become available....or put your name on the list and go have a drink at Boundary Stone.

It really is just such a privilege to live in this area from a restaurant (and, of course, many other) point of view now.  And, places like Red Hen exemplify why.

When friends who love great food come into town now, I find myself reverting to either Rose's or Red Hen depending on whether the logistics of Rose's are feasible and, if not, whether enough lead time to book a table at Red Hen or get there early enough on the right day.  Of course, not always but these are two restaurants that really exemplify the wholesale transformation this city has undergone in the past 5-10 years.

Took a friend here tonight who hadn't been before.  As always, they loved it. I've now been to RH enough to really know the menu stalwarts and be able to coach first timers.  We loved the octopus, a pasta dish, the chicken, an amazing maple flan and the always-interesting wine list.  The venue is both figuratively and literally warm in the best of ways. Service always knowledgable and attentive; casual and conversational yet professional.  It was packed from 7pm on when we arrived including every bar seat.

Red Hen is obviously a different experience from Rose's.  And that's as it should be.  They're both great and we're fortunate they are both here since, even 10 years ago, it would be hard to imagine anything quite like either of them.

• Like 3

I think they allow reservations anytime and surely later than 6:30. The challenge is planning far enough in advance to score one.

Thanks.  I thought they were one of the places that only allowed early reservations, but I could be wrong or that might have been the case and changed.

Had a buddy from college in town and figured the threat of a storm would bode well for our chances at Red Hen. Arrived around 8:00 to find the place far less crowded than we had anticipated (thanks, snow!). Place is still firing on all cylinders - even in a city with a rapidly evolving restaurant scene, it's so nice to find a spot that knows and loves what they're putting out. From drinks to food recommendations, our bartender Morgan was on point. Started with the Seeds on Hard Ground (Beefeater Gin, Cassis, Dijon Mustard) and a Stillwater "˜A Saison Darkly'. I've had a lot of cocktails, but never one with mustard added...really interesting, almost piquant flavor profile with a nice mellow backbone of dry gin.

Foodwise, ordered up the Tuscan Chicken Liver Mousse and the Grilled Octopus to start. Mousse tasted great, but needed warm bread to accompany; slices we got had a nice char, but were semi-stale...made it hard to spread the mousse. Octopus was super tender, and the white beans a la Romesco were a great counterpart on the plate. Also ordered the Mezze Rigatoni with Fennel Sausage Ragu (so hard to stray to other pastas when this is so, so good) and the Wood-Grilled Chicken "˜Fra Diavolo'. Chicken was the one misstep (if you can even call it that). Didn't pick up a ton of the flavor one expects from a fra diavolo sauce, and really just...tasted like chicken. Not that that's a bad thing by any means, but when there are other interesting options on the menu, I wish I could've talked my companion into venturing out a little. (you can take the guy out of South Dakota, but you can't take the South Dakota out of the guy, right?)

Finished off with a taste of comped house-made amaro and got out of there for right at $100 before tip. As I mentioned earlier, DC has really blown up in terms of awesome cuisine, but Red Hen continues to be an excellent spot where one can always, always find an outstanding meal with dynamite service. Bravo.

• Like 1

Noted Don's tweet: @dcdining A great write-up about perhaps the most underrated, and one of the very best, restaurants in the area: @RedHenDC http://goo.gl/dFzARg 

No question that RedHen is one of the best places to eat in DC right now. But underrated?  It requires an act of planning, perseverance and strategery to get a weekend reservation or walk in and vie for a seat at the bar. Even a weeknight reservation after 6 pm or before 9:30 pm less than a week out is a stroke of pure luck. I realize popularity and critical recognition are not the same, but I didn't think RedHen suffers from a lack of either. Am I missing something?

Noted Don's tweet: @dcdining A great write-up about perhaps the most underrated, and one of the very best, restaurants in the area: @RedHenDC http://goo.gl/dFzARg 

No question that RedHen is one of the best places to eat in DC right now. But underrated?  It requires an act of planning, perseverance and strategery to get a weekend reservation or walk in and vie for a seat at the bar. Even a weeknight reservation after 6 pm or before 9:30 pm less than a week out is a stroke of pure luck. I realize popularity and critical recognition are not the same, but I didn't think RedHen suffers from a lack of either. Am I missing something?

Well, I didn't want to come right out and say it, but I think Red Hen suffers from Haut-Brion / La Mission Haut-Brion Syndrome.

At the risk of getting complaints about kids and restaurants, I'll ask anyway...does Red Hen have highchairs? We've been meaning to go forever, but it's proven difficult to get a proper date night on the schedule to try it out (knowing we'd have to wait, etc). However, we'd happily dine at 5pmish with our daughter if she could be accommodated.

Restaurant and chef won best "New Restaurant of the Year" and "Rising Chef" awards from the members-only RAMMYs last summer.

At the risk of getting complaints about kids and restaurants, I'll ask anyway...does Red Hen have highchairs? We've been meaning to go forever, but it's proven difficult to get a proper date night on the schedule to try it out (knowing we'd have to wait, etc). However, we'd happily dine at 5pmish with our daughter if she could be accommodated.

Not sure about high-chairs but easy enough to ask if you call. I think I've seen small children there before but definitely not as kid friendly as spots like Chef Geoffs or Two Amys. Then again, kids like pasta, right? Maybe just stay away from the usually-great octopus?   :)

When we went (early) last Saturday night, we noticed two children under four at two different tables. We noticed because we were thinking about whether we should try to bring our own for-year-old. No highchairs in evidence, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

When we went (early) last Saturday night, we noticed two children under four at two different tables. We noticed because we were thinking about whether we should try to bring our own for-year-old. No highchairs in evidence, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Sebastian and Lauren are proud parents - my money is on them.

I ate at Red Hen last week  (btw, walk in/no reservation at 6:30pm on a Wednesday) - and parked my bag on one of two high chairs while waiting for my friend to arrive. On the food side, dinner was so good - the grilled octopus was perfectly charred and as someone noted above, the white beans plated with it were creamy and flavorful. I had the ricotta cavatelli for an entree, which was great comfort food on a chilly night, and my friend had the scallops (w/o the chorizo). Dessert was the apple cider donuts with cinnamon crunch gelato, which was highly recommended by our waiter. That gelato is amazing.  Service was attentive and knowledgeable. My only miss was the orange wine by the glass (I had never heard of orange wines before) but the waiter brought tastes of each of the wines we were considering so I was able to change before selecting that one.

Yes, it is kid-friendly and they have high chairs.  Lots of young families in the neighborhood, and there seems to always be at least one other young diner whenever our family is there.  They even have a bar stool high chair!  If you get there at opening it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

Yes, it is kid-friendly and they have high chairs.  Lots of young families in the neighborhood, and there seems to always be at least one other young diner whenever our family is there.  They even have a bar stool high chair!  If you get there at opening it shouldn't be a problem.

Awesome! Thanks for the first-hand feed back. The bar stool high chair sounds hilarious and great.

Not sure about high-chairs but easy enough to ask if you call. I think I've seen small children there before but definitely not as kid friendly as spots like Chef Geoffs or Two Amys. Then again, kids like pasta, right? Maybe just stay away from the usually-great octopus?   :)

Funny, because the octopus and white beans is exactly the thing I'd order for my 2 year-old son...easy to cut into bite-sized chunks, good for either a fork or fingers, and easy for Dad to steal bites from now and again.

• Like 1

I've been waiting to try this place for a while. Any recommendations on when would be a good time to make a reservation when it's at it's least busiest, day of the week?

Probably earlier evening early in the week best. It's a very popular place. Not Rose's popular but good to book a couple (or few) weeks in advance to have more options. More lead time if you can't dine on a weeknight.

• Like 1

No question that RedHen is one of the best places to eat in DC right now. But underrated?

Yes, underrated.

This is an astoundingly good restaurant that knows exactly who they are, what they are doing, and execute almost everything at a supremely high level. Rose's Luxury, and Le Diplomate, and Fiola Mare,..(etc., etc.) get a tremendous amount of very deserved press, but they are not better restaurants than Red Hen. I like them all very much, but if the question posed to me was "Where do you want to eat tonight?"  on most night's, it would be the Red Hen....

Well, I didn't want to come right out and say it, but I think Red Hen suffers from Haut-Brion / La Mission Haut-Brion Syndrome.

.....agreed. A caveat, I also thought that CityZen was one of the  two or three best restaurants in the city (Komi, Sushi Taro Omakase counter), and despite 4-Stars, and Chef Ziebold's pedigree, and Jarad, and Andy....it was underrated, or perhaps overlooked, by too many people.

• Like 3

Probably earlier evening early in the week best. It's a very popular place. Not Rose's popular but good to book a couple (or few) weeks in advance to have more options. More lead time if you can't dine on a weeknight.

Thanks for the info! Its been on the radar for a while - just in a holding pattern until the right occasion comes up for a visit.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! Its been on the radar for a while - just in a holding pattern until the right occasion comes up for a visit.

If you ever want to do a dry run, one other tip. Getting a seat at the bar any weeknight isn't too tough if you get there early; even moreso if just two or you're stag for an evening.

We were set on Red Hen. Finally we were arriving early enough to secure a table in a reasonable time frame. Alas, upon our arrival shortly after 6 pm the wait was over 2 hrs. 

Say hi next time.   :)   (we need a DR-member identifier!)

My wife and I were also reservation-less at the Red Hen last night at 6.  We intended to get there a little earlier, but didn't and got the same 2 - 2 1/2 hour wait quote you did.  She went to the bathroom, I tried to warm up from the walk from the metro and when she returned she noticed a couple at the bar who just got that phone call that their table was ready.  We moved in and easily snagged the seats.  I was a little worried that it'd be cutthroat and intense to try to get bar seats, but it was pretty easy at that hour.  By the time we left, it was cutthroat and intense.  A mini skirmish broke out next to us when two different groups were vying for the same seats.  We ended up with a young couple parked right behind us for end of the meal and coffee and dessert, but they were very cool and not not giving us the stink eye or anything like that.

• Like 1