New Orleans Cajun Seafood, Willston Center at Seven Corners - Falls Church

I was heading down Route 50 from Arlington Landromat picking up my $1/pound Wash-and-Fold, and thinking I'd find some Pho. Instead, I turned right into what I believe is Willston Center (please PM me if I'm wrong), thinking I'd find something Latino (posole) or Vietnamese (Pho) for a medium-heavy, late lunch after a workout. I saw New Orleans Cajun Seafood (in the same general area as Mark's Duck House, and figured, well, why not?)

This is a stark operation, dominated by an extremely long counter, and a loquacious, friendly order-taker who seemed as excited about this business as she could possibly be. She explained to me that Orlando customers come up and give her hugs when they find out this is in Seven Corners, and that they serve the best Cajun food in Orlando - this being their second outlet (I'm not sure if it's a branch or a franchise, but it might not really matter).

I asked her what's best, and she named about five things ... oysters, shrimp, po boys, jambalaya, and a couple of others - this was enough for me: I combined two of them and ordered a Shrimp Po Boy ($8.50) and a Diet Coke ($1.00). I could tell the service is extremely anxious to get "the word" out, and my kind server was going out of her way to show me where everything was - the setup station, the hot sauces, the coffees for sale (which I may buy and try - how *is* Cafe du Monde?). When my sandwich arrived, she carried the foil-wrapped sub over to the setup station, grabbed me a fork and plate, and came over and served me. She could not have been more enthusiastic and wonderful - showing genuine excitement over this foray into Falls Church from Orlando. If only everyone in the industry was this enthusiastic!

The po boy was large, and cut in half for manageability. After one bite, I could see it needed hot sauce (the choices are Louisiana Hot Sauce and Sriracha), and I went with the former which woke up the sandwich quite a bit, previously consisting of surprisingly good French bread, frozen deep-fried shrimp, mayo, lettuce, decent tomato, onions, and pickle. While eating the second half of the sandwich, I noticed something was missing, and it's because I forgot to add the Louisiana Hot Sauce, so there you have it.

I finished every crumb, and the bill, with tip and tax, came to exactly $10.00. I left happy, sated, but not necessarily ready to race back. However, in the local Cajun trend, New Orleans Cajun Seafood is holding its own, and I suspect it would benefit from some bulk weekend orders in order to survive this fickle market.

How was the po boy? It was a very good shrimp sub.

Has anyone eaten at the original Orlando location? Prices seem to be about 5-10% lower there, but that's of course to be expected. Would I come here again? Sure.

When you're in New Orleans downing a cup with some beignets, it's great. When you brew it at home, not so much. (You are referring to the ground beans in a can, right?)

Yes, thanks. (And I can't believe I referred to this area as Bailey's Crossroads instead of Seven Corners.)

Yes, thanks. (And I can't believe I referred to this area as Bailey's Crossroads instead of Seven Corners.)

When you're in New Orleans downing a cup with some beignets, it's great. When you brew it at home, not so much. (You are referring to the ground beans in a can, right?)

The Cafe du Monde coffee is available at most grocery stores around here, but I only buy it when in NOLA. (I don't mind the chicory version for a change of pace, but overall don't find it worth the cost.)

I saw this store the other day when doing one of my inevitable Target/Old Virginia Tobacco runs. I was actually about to post here and ask if anyone had tried it as I hadn't remembered seeing it before. It might be worth it for a lunch run here soon when I end up in that area...

Orlando? You mean Orlando, Florida right?

Yes. Here is their website in which both locations are mentioned.

Am I the only one who views the term "New Orleans Cajun" as an oxymoron? Admittedly the two cuisines have become somewhat overlapping in recent years; not so long ago the only Cajun place in NOLA was Bon Ton, but of course that is no longer the case (though it's a somewhat one-way phenomenon; Creole food, i.e. actual New Orleans cuisine, remains scarce out in the bayous). But despite from the geographical mash-up, they remain distinct cuisines. Referring to New Orleans cuisine as "Cajun" is a popular misconception of non-Louisianians. These are the same people who go to NOLA and order shrimp and grits thinking it is a "New Orleans Cajun" dish, or something; of course, many restaurants are happy to serve it, and don't say anything.

I combined two of them and ordered a Shrimp Po Boy ($8.50) and a Diet Coke ($1.00)

I finished every crumb, and the bill, with tip and tax, came to exactly

$10.00.

You must be the last of the big time tippers!