Dibon Cava Brut Reserve NV

Choosing a few notes from various websites to start us off. The most surprising note I found was that this vineyard is 100% organic.

From VOS Selections, an importer.

Cava, Catalan sparkling wine, is made mostly in the regions of Penedes, and the capital of cava is Sant Sadurni d´Anoia. Dibon is located in Vilafranca del Penedes, aproximately 20 Km from Sant Sadurni. Different types of cava are made using Xarel-lo, Macabeo, Parellada and Chardonnay grapes. Sometimes wine from non-cava production is added to the mix, and cava is left to undergo a fermentation process on its yeast for a period of 9 months to 5 years. Dibon only uses natural yeasts for its Cava production. At this point, cava is still not cava; it still needs to go through remuage -- the agitation process. For very high-quality cava, this process is still done by hand. A month and a half later, all of the yeast residue rises to the top of the bottle. The bottle is then frozen and the lump of frozen yeast residue removed. Cava is classified into six different categories, according to the amount of sugar it contains: Extra-brut: Less than 3 grams of sugar per pint

Brut: Up to 7 grams of sugar per pint
Extra-seco: Between 6 and 10 grams of sugar per pint
Seco: Between 8 and 35 grams of sugar per pint
Semi-seco: Between 16 and 25 grams of sugar per pint
Dulce: More than 25 grams of sugar per pint

The Dibon vineyard is in the process of becoming 100% Organic by 2009. It consists of 75 hectares of trellised vines 1000 feet above the Mediterranean Sea.

Untitled4_small.png Cava Brut Reserve 45% Macabeo, 25% Xarel-lo, 30% Parellada
Methode Traditionelle.
11.5% alcohol

Dibon Cava Brut Reserve NV, Wine Enthusiast Best Buy, 88 Points. From the Wine Enthusiast:

Dibon is new to us, and after tasting this complete, well-made Cava we are happy to makes its acquaintance. The nose offers regal yeast and richness, while the palate has complexity to prop up apple, citrus and grapefruit flavors. Solid from front to back, with health and freshness. (12/08)

From Snooth:

Danica Stitz, May 7, 2012.

Dibon Brut Cava NV

A dependably delicious and straightforward Cava with lots of grapefruit citrus and palate-perking bubbles. Made from Macabeo, Parrelada, Xarel.lo and Chardonnay.

Wine and Spirits Magazine "Good Value." From Wine and Spirits Magazine:

Dried apricot and marzipan flavors meet the nutty bitterness of this cava. A sweet, soft wine to serve with herbed goat cheese in pastry shells. (06/08)

From Slate Magazine:

Brimming with grapefruit and almond notes, the Dibon Cava Brut Reserve ($11.50) is another one worth seeking out; while also dry, it is a little sweeter and rounder than the Sumarroca and a more obvious crowd-pleaser. (12/08)

Methode Traditionelle.

Isn't it odd that this word is feminine in French (la méthode), but in Catalan (el mètode), Spanish (el método), Portuguese (o método), and Italian (il metodo), it's masculine?

Oh, and as to this Dibon cava: Do any shops around here carry it? I've never seen it (or heard of it till now, for that matter).

Isn't it odd that this word is feminine in French (la méthode), but in Catalan (el mètode), Spanish (el método), Portuguese (o método), and Italian (il metodo), it's masculine?

Oh, and as to this Dibon cava: Do any shops around here carry it? I've never seen it (or heard of it till now, for that matter).

No idea where you live, but I.M. Wine in Maple Lawn (in Maryland) carries it.

Although I'm pretty sure I've been paying $14 or even $15 for it so I may need to seek out a better source.

Total Wine has it.

I can't speak to the intricacies of the romance languages, but your question made me wonder why the label doesn't say "méthode champenoise." According to WIkipedia, the Champagne region's producers successfully lobbied the EU to make the term apply only to Champagne, and everyone else must now be "traditionelle" or some other local permutation. I'll now go ponder all the wonderful things that result from the digestive processes of microscopic organisms.

It appears that Paul's on Wisconsin Ave NW also has it at $10.88.

After two tastings, I will be buying this cava again.

Nose: Fruity freshness and a little bit of bread.

Taste: Nicely balanced between acidity and residual sugar with lots of fine bubbles. A fresh taste and finish that was mentioned in one of the professional reviews, but I didn't understand what they meant until I tasted it. Unlike those who tasted citrus, I taste stone fruit and a little bit of almond (could be supertaster bitterness detection issues.) Really smooth and easy drinking, and a pleasure with food.

I bought a bottle of the Cristalino Brut for comparative purposes, and will try it later this or next week. I really enjoy cava, and think it is underpriced for what you get. I've had several proseccos and even champagnes that were priced much higher and were less balanced and enjoyable to drink.

I tried the Cristalino, one that I had liked very well in the past, and I'm not sure I'm such a fan now. We first had it with dinner and a great group of friends, and I think it took on some of the evening. Tasted alone with a pad of paper, it was a little too one-sided and apple-y for me, although I do think it would go well with spicy veg food. It's tough to beat a $6.50 price tag when you need bubbles for mimosas or Bellinis, but I don't think I would drink this one by itself.

I am always puzzled as to why Cristalino gets such good press. It's definitely a bargain, but beyond that, always tastes a little flat to me. For inexpensive bubbles, I'm a prosecco fan, especially Zardetto which I like for its toasty bubbles and light zingy taste, and good price.

I tried the Dibon Cava right after drinking real Champagne, so it wasn't a fair tasting. Still it held up quite well. Lots of nice bubbles, light and pleasant.

I am always puzzled as to why Cristalino gets such good press. It's definitely a bargain, but beyond that, always tastes a little flat to me. For inexpensive bubbles, I'm a prosecco fan, especially Zardetto which I like for its toasty bubbles and light zingy taste, and good price.

For inexpensive prosecco, I am a big fan of the Riondo.

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/riondo-prosecco/20138750

For inexpensive prosecco, I am a big fan of the Riondo.

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/riondo-prosecco/20138750

I've discovered that there is no such thing as a "BAD" prosecco. My guests tomorrow will be served Luna, because that's the only kind of prosecco I could find at Costco today. We will be quite satisfied.

ETA: The prosecco I bought at Costco was Lunetta. We went through three bottles and one bottle of Chandon Rose that one of my neighbors brought--already chilled. Everybody left quite happy. We had a neighbor who insisted on Cook's "Champagne" and nothing else would suffice. That it was also the cheapest crap on the market had nothing to do with it, apparently. When she died, I declared my home a Cook's-free zone (since the stuff always gave me a terrible headache). So, we started delving into the world of Proseccos--a much cheaper alternative to champagnes. For something to drink on a nice, sunny day it is really lovely stuff. Goes well with picnic-type food, too. It would take a much more discerning palate than mine (a rather low bar, in all honesty) to complain about the bubbly on offer.

When another neighbor consulted me about inexpensive champagnes to buy to reward the people who helped him sell his late partners' stuff at a yard sale, I steered him to Prosecco, since price was a real object to him. There's a reason why I have a box of two dozen flutes in my hall closet just for occasions like this. Everybody leaves happy and nobody has to cash in a CD to make that happen.