Good July 4th Fireworks Venues - Planning Ahead for 2014

KoolPaw

Since July 4th just passed, can anyone suggest a restaurant in Virginia that has a really good view of the fireworks on the National Mall? Preferably with good parking? Believe it or not, I'm planning a car club event for next year. Thanks for your input.

I haven't been to Top Of The Town since the early 1980s, when it was the top-floor restaurant in a hotel - I'm thinking Marriott, but my memory is very gray about this; now, it's a private conference center used for weddings, etc.

What I can tell you is that it has about the most spectacular views of the mall anywhere, and it's probably worth a phone call. Since it used to be a hotel restaurant, there is certainly a kitchen in the building.

I haven't been to Top Of The Town since the early 1980s, when it was the top-floor restaurant in a hotel - I'm thinking Marriott, but my memory is very gray about this; now, it's a private conference center used for weddings, etc.

What I can tell you is that it has about the most spectacular views of the mall anywhere, and it's probably worth a phone call. Since it used to be a hotel restaurant, there is certainly a kitchen in the building.

I may have this wrong, but I think you're conflating the current "Top of the Town" conference center, which is reached through a side door in the Prospect House condominium building (according to my Google street view research), with the old restaurant on the top floor of the Key Bridge Marriott, which I believe had the same name. The Marriott used to promote the restaurant heavily for July 4, and charged a lot  for it. I never went. The former restaurant space is now called the Capital View Ballroom. I don't know if they do a July 4 open-to-the-public thing there.

I may have this wrong, but I think you're conflating the current "Top of the Town" conference center, which is reached through a side door in the Prospect House condominium building (according to my Google street view research), with the old restaurant on the top floor of the Key Bridge Marriott, which I believe had the same name. The Marriott used to promote the restaurant heavily for July 4, and charged a lot  for it. I never went. The former restaurant space is now called the Capital View Ballroom. I don't know if they do a July 4 open-to-the-public thing there.

No, I've been to both, and actually went to a New Year's Eve party at that (Key Bridge) Marriott once - so, I definitely meant the conference center (unless I'm just completely having a memory lapse). That conference center may not have been a hotel, but it's definitely where Top Of The Town restaurant was (unless I'm just completely having a memory lapse). I'd love someone to do some research about this.

No, I've been to both, and actually went to a New Year's Eve party at that (Key Bridge) Marriott once - so, I definitely meant the conference center (unless I'm just completely having a memory lapse). That conference center may not have been a hotel, but it's definitely where Top Of The Town restaurant was (unless I'm just completely having a memory lapse). I'd love someone to do some research about this.

Yep, you're right about the Top of the Town, also formerly known as Top o' the Town Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge. It was in the Prospect House. I think my confusion goes waaay back, possibly to the 1980s (the restaurant closed in 1991). Back then, I think I was under the impression that Top o' the Town was the restaurant in the Key Bridge Marriott. What I'm still missing is what the KBM restaurant was called. (See here.)

Yep, you're right about the Top of the Town, also formerly known as Top o' the Town Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge. It was in the Prospect House. I think my confusion goes waaay back, possibly to the 1980s (the restaurant closed in 1991). Back then, I think I was under the impression that Top o' the Town was the restaurant in the Key Bridge Marriott. What I'm still missing is what the KBM restaurant was called. (See here.)

Yes, Prospect House, and as far as I know, they always used the "Top O' The Town" spelling. Well anyway, it's a truly awesome view.