Administrative Announcement - Use Email Address To Sign In

DonRocks

It is definitely - there are a number of scripts / functions.  Some if it is dependant on which email client you're transfering emails from - gmail to gmail is easiest but aol or yahoo to gmail aren't a huge issue - if you are on a service that doesn't allow PoP access (I believe yahoo mail runs into this) then it gets a bit more challenging but it's still doable.

Don - happy to lend a hand, although some additional clarification on your 4th point would be a bit helpful.  Are you looking to mask the email address?

I'm looking for some email help. In particular, if anyone out there has done the following, and can help us out with a little volunteer work, please contact me via PM:

1) Setting up a new email account on Gmail.

2) Transferring an existing (soon to be deleted) email account's contents into the Gmail account.

3) Forwarding new incoming email into the Gmail account, setting up pointers, etc.

4) Sending email from the Gmail account as a different address (the reverse of 3)).

5) Explaining it all to me (this will be the most challenging part).

There would need to be a privacy statement signed, so please know that before saying yes. I can't pay you, but will give you a little token of my appreciation.   :)

Is #2 even possible? I'd love to know if it is...

Yes.  There is a link in the settings for doing that.

I was just doing a very similar thing today, 8 times over, plus with a few more complicated steps. Took about 10 hours. My project also involved Gmail. While I came through it, hopefully, pretty successfully, I don't think I'd be the one to handle the whole thing without someone else's guidance. :blink:

I am not IT by any means, but have just enough knowledge to get through. So if you do need some input I'd be happy to contribute, as I did learn some valuable steps in how to do our move. We just moved to Hostgator--hope that won't be a mistake as I hadn't heard much about them. So glad we decided against Dreamhost though, based on what you've posted!

• Like 1

Well, f**k.  I hate writing about restaurants any more, but decided to start this thread anyway, and twenty minutes later I was almost done and f**king Invision or whoever lost the post.

Ouch! That's why I always write a long post in Microsoft Word first and then copy it into DR.com.  Had that happen one too many times myself.  

[Please, please, please remember that there's an auto-recover feature!]

If it works when you do something really stupid like navigating to a different page while working on a post, I haven't figured out how to use it.

It should work if you've been typing long enough for auto-save to kick in.  I had started to write a post in this thread yesterday and abandoned it, and as soon as I clicked on "quote" to reply to you, "View Auto Saved Content (Yesterday, 3:19 PM)" popped up in the lower left corner of the reply box.  I clicked on that message and it brought up a box with the post I had been writing, with the option to "restore content."  I didn't want to restore it, but I could have.

After a minute or minute and a half of starting to type this, a new "Last auto saved" message popped up.

So, if you spent more than 90 seconds writing the post, it would have been there to be restored.

Well no doubt it was a user problem, but I swear I looked for "last auto saved" and never found it.

I'm having problems with pages not fully loading, so maybe that is what happened to you and the "View auto saved content" message didn't show up.

This site is perpetually slow on loading, on switching pages, on almost any action.  I go to a different forum using the same invision forum package.  Its dramatically faster in every way.  I did notice on the bottom of their site they are using invision software version 3.4.2.  I don't know if you have updated software or not.    The other point is I don't recall that forum ever being this slow.

This site is perpetually slow on loading, on switching pages, on almost any action.  I go to a different forum using the same invision forum package.  Its dramatically faster in every way.  I did notice on the bottom of their site they are using invision software version 3.4.2.  I don't know if you have updated software or not.    The other point is I don't recall that forum ever being this slow.

Yes, we're leaving Dreamhost. The delay in loading the server is unacceptable.

I just now bumped the memory up to 2 Gigabytes just in case that might help.

None of this will matter in another week or so - we're leaving Dreamhost, and Invision will handle any gremlins that snuck into the system.

Pat and Rovers2000 have been working diligently behind the scenes - please buy them a drink because I think they need one (or two).

---

Hello,

Thank you for contacting DreamHost.

I tested the website of http://www.donrockwell.com/ in multiple browsers,
but I was unable to replicate latency in the load time of the website. I
tested the access to the many forum topics available and I was able to
navigate to different topics/forum posts without latency. I also
conducted a site load speed test and obtained the following results :

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dVFRtm/http://www.donrockwell.com/
- test of index page

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/cmbKtC/http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/43220-brangelinabad-wine/
- test of one of the forum posts

Unfortunately, I was unable to replicate latency in the load time of the
website of http://www.donrockwell.com/ . Before revisiting the domain, It
may help to clear the cache from your
browser and flush the DNS cache from your computer. Please review the
following articles regarding clearing the cache and flushing DNS :

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Flush_DNS
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Clear_cache

If you continue to experience latency in the load time of the website,
please contact us back along with the following information:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Traceroute

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Collecting_Ping_Results

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact
DreamHost.

Thanks!

Matthew O.

This is costing me a lot of money, but I don't want to inconvenience our members more than they've already been inconvenienced.

Cheers,

Rocks

---

Hello, Don,

This is just a note to let you know that we have moved your account to a new server, ds7293! We apologize if we were unable to send you notification of this move beforehand and would be glad to help you address any potential problems that the move may cause.

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE, as it may help you fix any problems that come up as a result of the move.

We have also created a wiki article that explains everything you will need to know about why we moved you and solutions on how to fix anything that may have broken because of the move:

DreamHost Wiki: Server Moves

Below is a brief summary of the more common problems we're seeing after customers are moved to their new server. You can get more detailed information at the wiki article above though. If you don't understand any of these directions, please reply to this message and we'll be happy to help you further.

UNIQUE IP:

If you have a unique IP on your account, it has likely changed with the move. See below for details.

CUSTOM DNS:

If you run your own DNS outside of DreamHost (i.e. you're not using ns1.dreamhost.comns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com as your domains' nameservers) you'll need to update your records now. You can always go to the 'Manage Domains' section of your web panel and click on the 'DNS' link for your domains to see what the new IP is for that domain. You can then use these new IPs to point your services to us from the outside DNS provider which is managing your DNS. For your convenience, here are your new IPs:

FTP:

If you are using your server name (server.dreamhost.com) as your FTP hostname, be sure to change that to your domain name. A fully hosted domain name will always point to the correct server in the event that it is changed again in the future. If for some reason you can't use your domain name, your new server name is included at the top of this message.

That's it, really... and we really apologize for any inconvenience which may have resulted from this move!

Thanks! 
The Happy DreamHost Migration Team

We are in the process of porting to another host. If it's that bothersome, take a week off - it has been no picnic for me, either (imagine trying to do administrative work).

That said, not only has system load been very light over this holiday weekend, we're also now on a private server, so don't expect things to resolve immediately after porting back to Invision - there is something inside the system that is causing this.

What porting to Invision will do is give them total control over both the hosting end, and the software end. It may take hiring a programmer/auditor, but I will find what's causing the delays regardless of cost.

Until then, there's nothing to be done about it.

I got this email at 11:15 PM last night:

---

I apologize for any issues you've been experiencing with your service.

It looks like your databases are on a shared server still. We can move
the databases over to your dedicated server so they'll be accessed
locally by your sites. The only caveat is that there will be downtime
while the migration takes place.

If that's something you would like to try, please let me know and I will
have an admin start the migration of your databases.

Thanks!
Jen D

---

In other words, the software is on one server, and the data (e.g., the posts) are on another server. So basically, every time you click, you have to queue up to access that second server - definitely *not* what I had in mind when I paid *big bucks* to get on a private server. I told them, yes, please move the databases onto the private server as well, so there may be some downtime today (not much; maybe ten minutes). This should certainly help with the delays, in theory.

But this is still a temporary patch because we're going to be porting everything back to Invision's hosting service. If people could have lived without the website for a week, I wouldn't have had to do this, but they say the first rule of maintaining the Appalachian Trail is that the trail must be kept open at all times.

The thread is locked because there's nothing else to say, and all these comments do is stress me out.

Okay, I think that took care of the problem. Every click was being queued up to a separate server; now, everything is on the same machine. 

What has been a minor inconvenience for everyone else was, I'm sure, a major headache for you.  Thanks for working so hard on making this site an enjoyable place for the rest of us.

• Like 2

I've noticed during the past few days that I'm no longer receiving email notifications. I checked my profile, and I still have the email option checked. Anyone else experiencing this?

(But the site has been fast!)

This may be something you need to unset, clear your cache and reload, and then reset (not sure; just guessing).

Well I hadn't experienced the severe slowdown previously, but I am now.  I don't know if it is the wifi that I am on that is painfully slow, or if something else is up. Other web pages do load, sometimes slowly, but DR pages keep timing out.

Hmm, this is the first I've heard of this lately. Try clearing your browser cache and getting rid of all cookies - we have a different URL now, so each local computer needs to start anew.

PLEASE READ THIS as an example of how to utilize the Auto Save (and Auto Recover) feature.

Did you know we have a "Share" feature?

I'm just wondering because after 9 1/2 years and 250,000 posts, nobody has ever shared a single one. :unsure:

Well I just tried it and it works!

1) On the top-right of the post you want to share, click on the little less-than sign "<" to the right of the post number.

(It's actually not a less-than sign; it's a representation of one dot going out to multiple dots.)

2) I just went to this post, clicked on the less-than sign, then clicked on Twitter, and bingo! In less than ten seconds, I got this!

(Not asking anyone to share posts or anything; just thought you might want to know about this handy-dandy little feature. ;))

Good news: Uploading pictures just became a breeze (if you have Flash 9 installed on your computer).

In the "Attach Files" section, right under where you type your post, click on "Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)."

Believe me, if you could do it the old way, you'll be *very* happy about the new way. This is done on a user-by-user, self-select basis, so you have to select if yourselves. If it doesn't work, you'll need to go back to the old way, but I tried the new way (the "advanced uploader") and it's *simple*.

To set your setting:

1. Make sure you click on "Use Full Editor" when replying.

2. You'll notice an option that says "Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)". Click it.

3. Choose your file.

4. Click "Add to Post"

5. Cut-and-paste the uploaded file in your post so it's in the right place (it will be initially added right where your cursor is located on your screen).

That's it! I hope it works for you.

• Like 1

Good news: Uploading pictures just became a breeze (if you have Flash 9 installed on your computer).

In the "Attach Files" section, right under where you type your post, click on "Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)."

Believe me, if you could do it the old way, you'll be *very* happy about the new way. This is done on a user-by-user, self-select basis, so you have to select if yourselves. If it doesn't work, you'll need to go back to the old way, but I tried the new way (the "advanced uploader") and it's *simple*.

To set your setting:

2. You'll notice an option that says "Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)". Click it.

3. Choose your file.

4. Click "Add to Post"

5. Cut-and-paste the uploaded file in your post so it's in the right place (it will be initially added right where your cursor is located on your screen).

If you've ever had trouble uploading a picture, screenshot, file, etc., please DO read through the instructions for using the EZ Uploader - it will change your life! Each member needs to activate it for themselves, and if you follow the step-by-step directions I wrote, it's a flash (pun intended). Try it and see, and please write me if you have trouble.

Also, it's very frustrating that I know who everyone is here, and because of that, I know what to call people (Bill, Susan, etc.). For those of you who've elected not to use your full real name as your member name, a compromise might be to put your real first name in your signature file so people can address you properly when writing you, or answering one of your posts. I think it would help foster a sense of community - hell, you might even meet some new friends.

To set your setting:

3. Choose your file.

4. Click "Add to Post"

If you've ever had trouble uploading a picture, a .pdf, a screenshot, or any other type of file, try using the 5-step directions I list above - it will change your life! It turns uploading things into a flash (pun intended). Each person must set their own setting, but they only need to do it once. Try it, you'll like it!

For those of you who have chosen not to use your real first and last names as your member names, there's a compromise: putting just your first name in your signature file (Dave, Susan, etc.) - this way, others will know how to address you when replying to a post, etc. My gut feeling is that it makes things much more friendly and community-like. It's a quick 5-step process, and it's a good exercise to know how to modify your profile anyway:

1. Click on your member name on the top-left of the screen where you type (or anywhere else you can click on it).

2. Click on "Edit My Profile" on the top-right

3. Click on "Signature" on the left

4. Type your name in your signature box down below - feel free to type anything else as well: Twitter handles, websites, quotes, poems, Facebook pages whatever you like - you can even put in links the same way you do it in a regular post.

5. And of course, when you're finished, click on "Save Changes"; otherwise, your computer will explode.

Apparently on the space station, because gravity is not pulling your sandwich and chips down from your plate.

Nope. Sadly, the space station isn't correct however much I wish it was.

Think we had some discussion on a thread here recently about different browsers interacting weirdly with the current version of Invision. Using iOS the photo is right-side up for me.

Think we had some discussion on a thread here recently about different browsers interacting weirdly with the current version of Invision. Using iOS the photo is right-side up for me.

Try this: open the picture on your computer.  Even if it appears right-side-up, rotate it until it's right-side-up again.  Then close and an dbe sure to save the changes.  Then try posting it here.

I have no idea how these things work, so this might fall into the category of superstitious behavior, but it has never failed to work for me.

• Like 1

Where did I dine?

attachicon.gif image.jpg

Two more copies of the same photo. The first was toasted 360. The second 180. In theory, one or the other may work for any viewer.

attachicon.gif image.jpg

attachicon.gif image.jpg

As long as we're debugging Invision, both of darkstar's images appear upside-down to me in the thread (using PC/Chrome), and neither one will resolve if I clock on them to show larger - I get the spinning "wait" animation but the photo never appears.

As long as we're debugging Invision, both of darkstar's images appear upside-down to me in the thread (using PC/Chrome), and neither one will resolve if I clock on them to show larger - I get the spinning "wait" animation but the photo never appears.

Very odd. I'll upload it again later from a computer. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

[same.]

And, here's another attempt at a right-side up photo!  DanielK, any better for you on the chromebook?  This one from Safari but not iOS.  Will attempt a different browser next if this is still inverted.

attachicon.gifphoto-25.JPG

Just Chrome on a PC, not Chromebook, but still upside-down. Checked in IE and Firefox, also upside-down.

Just Chrome on a PC, not Chromebook, but still upside-down. Checked in IE and Firefox, also upside-down.

This is a PC/Apple interface problem. There's actually a good deal of info about it online and both companies (Microsoft and Apple) are aware of it and unwilling to recode around photo exif data. I've had the same trouble emailing photos from iOS to people running Windows.

I'd love to hear from any members here using Apple (macs, MacBooks, iPads, iphone) and whether some or all of the versions of this photo I've posted above are right side up for them. Thank you!

This is a PC/Apple interface problem. There's actually a good deal of info about it online and both companies (Microsoft and Apple) are aware of it and unwilling to recode around photo exif data. I've had the same trouble emailing photos from iOS to people running Windows.

I'd love to hear from any members here using Apple (macs, MacBooks, iPads, iphone) and whether some or all of the versions of this photo I've posted above are right side up for them. Thank you!

Interesting.  Viewed on my PC desktop, it's upside down.  I just viewed it on my iPad and it's right-side-up.  I still don't know where it is, though.  :(

Interesting. Viewed on my PC desktop, it's upside down. I just viewed it on my iPad and it's right-side-up. I still don't know where it is, though. :(

Exactly! Should be fine on Apple devices and inverted on PCs. There may be an app or plug in for this I'll investigate for the future.

As for where it was, maybe I can answer some other questions? You got the high-level components right. The type of po-boy is important, which no one has yet guessed, but what else would people want to know? There aren't that many spots that serve these handcrafted like this around town,