• Please log in to reply
1013 replies to this topic

#1001 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

Viewed in Safari on a Macbook Air, it's upside down.

True for all four or so copies posted upthread? Some were rotated when posted. If you can, try the original one in post 1163 above. The thumbnail looks upside down but it launches righttside up on an ipad for me.

#1002 JoshNE

JoshNE

Member: H Street Overlords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

True for all four or so copies posted upthread? Some were rotated when posted.

Yeah...so weird.

#1003 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

Yeah...so weird.

Ditto on Chromebook. This seems like it's starting to happen to people recently - I wonder if it's because people are buying Chromebooks.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1004 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:38 PM

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1005 Pool Boy

Pool Boy

DC Crüdite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

Exactly! Should be fine on Apple devices and inverted on PCs. There may be an app or plug in for this I'll investigate for the future.

As for where it was, maybe I can answer some other questions? You got the high-level components right. The type of po-boy is important, which no one has yet guessed, but what else would people want to know? There aren't that many spots that serve these handcrafted like this around town,

They all look the same to me here on this iMac.

Food.Wine.Cats.Music.Travel.Hawaiian Shirts.Art.Hiking.Photography.Movie Quotes.Impressions-Humor-Voices For My Cats. :)

#1006 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

They all look the same to me here on this iMac.

"Same" right side up or same inverted?

#1007 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

Exactly! Should be fine on Apple devices and inverted on PCs.

It's inverted on my MacBook Pro (Firefox and Chrome).

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

http://elizaberryblog.wordpress.com/

#1008 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

The photos in the image links posted in this thread appear right side up.  The originals in the other thread are upside down in the thumbnails and the full images won't load.   (MacBook Pro running Mavericks; Safari browser)

#1009 Pool Boy

Pool Boy

DC Crüdite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

"Same" right side up or same inverted?

All right side up.

Food.Wine.Cats.Music.Travel.Hawaiian Shirts.Art.Hiking.Photography.Movie Quotes.Impressions-Humor-Voices For My Cats. :)

#1010 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:35 AM

Can see this varies widely depending on the person. It has to do with data that an iOS device (iPhone, iPad) associates with any photo. The data, called "exif" drives orientation. It's usually not a problem apple-to-apple (though can be depending on the sending and receiving op system versions) as often as with iOS to Windows. Supposedly, the newest versions of both OSs are handling this better. One of a zillion articles and blog posts about this here for any interested. Can really be a pain.

http://www.businessi...de-down-2014-10

Nope, wasn't trying to make guessing that po' boy's provenance that tough! :-)

#1011 squidsdc

squidsdc

ika

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:20 PM

All the images in this thread viewed on my Macbook Air with Firefox are right side up. I'll have to go to the other thread to check the other images as well--and those are all upside down.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"--The Great Oz

#1012 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:21 PM

All the images in this thread viewed on my Macbook Air with Firefox are right side up. I'll have to go to the other thread to check the other images as well--and those are all upside down.

Maybe we should all just stand on our hands and live an upside-down life.

• darkstar965 likes this

#1013 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

I apologize for the website being offline - I have some personal things going on right now, and I know that an unmoderated website will quickly spiral out of control. At some point this month and next, I'm going to have to take a few days of personal leave. Maybe instead of putting the site offline, I can make it read-only.

Unless you're working with this, day-in and day-out, you don't realize how precarious the balance is, and how much work is involved in keeping things civil and organized without appearing heavy-handed.

Please trust my decisions in terms of titling, tagging, and moving posts to other threads that are more appropriate. If anyone has a question about a post, please send me a PM and ask me; writing about it in the forums can be extremely disruptive, both to me and to the community. Almost always, if someone thinks a post was deleted, it has simply been moved to another topic - members can click on "Find Content" in their profile, and the post will be there. Please re-read the sentence in the Everyone Is Welcome Here post which begins, "You may as well begin hating me now" - I wrote that over ten years ago, and for the most part, it has remained unchanged.

I'll be happy to print out a listing of every single post I've deleted in 2015. In ten years, I haven't deleted one single post without a very good reason - the vast majority of times, it's because it's a duplicate, or because the member asked me to delete it, or because it was an off-topic one-liner that didn't make the Laugh Committee laugh; less often, it's a personal attack against someone for voicing an opinion, or a strong opinion that has already been stated several times which prevents others from making theirs; in a very, very small percentage of cases, it's because the post is nothing more than a public chastising of a moderation decision I've made - moving a post to another topic, for example. That's about it - I can scroll through the deleted posts and see if there are others, but in ten years, I've never deleted a post that shouldn't have been deleted, and I don't think I've ever had someone write me, asking me to restore something, and haven't accommodated them - I said in 2005 that this is something I take very seriously, and I mean it to this day. There aren't many things I know how to do, but moderating a community is one of them - all I ask is that I'm allowed to do my job, which is essentially to organize things, keep things civil, and then stay out of everyone's way. 

I have a lot of things going on right now, and it's impossible to run the website the way I know it needs to be run, but I'll try my best. Thank you to everyone for checking in on me; I greatly underestimated the impact of not having the website online - I guess even if I'm completely unavailable, the website must remain online.

• squidsdc, Tweaked, jasonc and 14 others like this

#1014 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:09 PM

Don, apologies but I've forgotten how to quote from a different topic.

1) Quote as usual
2) Highlight and cut the whole quoted text
3) Go to the topic you wish to reply in
4) Paste what you cut in 2)
5) Proceed as normal

• ScotteeM likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users