I Want One Of Those

delyn

I loooooove my yogurt maker. I use it once a month or more, so it definitely earns the cabinet space (or at least, earns it more than, say, the malignantly dusty tart pan, juicer, and espresso machine).

I want a zester. And a food mill. And a mortar and pestle.

Wow. I'm lame. Those are really normal items.

Honestly I want a blender that I cannot kill. I go thru blenders like people go thru shirts. On an average I kill one every three months. I am too cheap to by the expensive ones so I buy the $19 ones and they cannot take all the lentils I try to blend. I know, I know.. I am pathetic!

Also -- I would LOVE (if I had a larger kitchen) to get a larger food processor and one of those nice big ranges with five burners and a grill. I could go on and on!

Santa are you listening?

And maybe an Anti-Griddle to replace the frozen ice/slush/granita components with equivalents made on-the-spot from the cocktail itself.
Sounds like you might be seeing gadgets like this at Eve's Bar-Kitchen. Will come in handy for things like the watermelon-tomato popsicle that was part of last weekend's special 'watermelon cocktail' (which we at the bar who were enjoying the drink were challenged to name...but failed to do :) - yet!)

Honestly I want a blender that I cannot kill. I go thru blenders like people go thru shirts. On an average I kill one every three months. I am too cheap to by the expensive ones so I buy the $19 ones and they cannot take all the lentils I try to blend. I know, I know.. I am pathetic!

Also -- I would LOVE (if I had a larger kitchen) to get a larger food processor and one of those nice big ranges with five burners and a grill. I could go on and on!

Santa are you listening?

Monica-- forget about Santa, bite the $ bullet and buy yourself a VitaMix blender. It's the home version of the machine that Starbuck's uses to make Frappucinos, and most high-end restaurants have in their kitchens (same motor, plastic housing instead of metal).

It will keep working for the rest of your life, and if you amortize the cost over your lifetime, it is not that expensive. This thing is so worth it--it has a 2 HP variable speed motor--strong enough to run a tablesaw. It makes sorbet out of chunks of frozen fruit or ice cubes. The most amazingly smooth purees, even out of raw vegetables. And there is a grain grinding jar available that will turn your various pulses into flour in seconds. I use mine all the time. I know that I must sound like a shill for the company, but it is my "They'll have to pry this from my cold dead hands if they want to take it from me" kitchen tool. There are many good knives, mixers, food processors, but there is nothing that is in the same league of versatility or power when it comes to blenders.

www.vitamix.com

A couple of comments after reading this thread:

Yes Monica, there is a Santa Claus, I bought my Vita Mixers for 25 dollars off of craigslist

I subscribe to the "Alton Brown" school of gadgets, avoid uni-taskers, get rid of stuff that you never use.

I still am a sucker for gadgets, and hace to cull the junk out once a year.

More reason to have another DR sale in the future

Dear Santa -

Please bring Monica one of these. She needs the pow'ah of a 2.25hp Poulan two-stroke.

rearview.jpg

Gasoline-powered appliances! What a splendid idea! Why stop with this, though? Why not gasoline-powered refrigerators? Gasoline-powered can-openers? Replace all of your electric knives with gasoline-powered knives!

Gasoline-powered appliances! What a splendid idea! Why stop with this, though? Why not gasoline-powered refrigerators? Gasoline-powered can-openers? Replace all of your electric knives with gasoline-powered knives!
This message has been sponsored by OPEC. Keep on drivin', America, and thanks!

Dear Santa -

Please bring Monica one of these. She needs the pow'ah of a 2.25hp Poulan two-stroke.

rearview.jpg

This thing was designed for the alcohol-centric world of boating or car-based bartending. I think it would look hot next to all my Dale Earnhardt memorabilia.

Love how the website hooks with, "Be the Life of the Party...Get More Dates!"

I'm really not sure how I feel about a square egg. Guess it's about as good as green eggs & ham.

To keep in line with what seems to be a plethera of odd breakfast making items: For those busy sugary sweet coffee lovers there's the Self-Stirring Mug.

Actually what I'd really like is a dehydrater and a juicer, but we lack space. Alas I can neither hydrate nor dehydrate.

I do kind of miss the industrial sized mixers. Nothing like whipping up 40 lbs of butter cream. Oh power tools...

While on the subject of food and kitchen gadgets, take a look at this one. Let's see, Vintage brand seltzer costs, what, 59 cents at Whole Foods (prolly 42 cents at Giant). I think I'll pass on this one...

As someone who loves seltzer, I just had to take a look. I hate lugging those Vintage bottles home on the bus; no room for groceries. It took 5 clicks to find out the price; $79.99. Shesh! Why do they make life so difficult??!!

We got an electric egg poacher/cooker as a wedding present, and although it is ugly as hell, we didn't dare give it away because you never know when you might need a perfectly poached egg in 3 minutes. The gadget that I'm always tempted by is the Hot-Diggety Dogger-- you know the bun and weiner cooker that's always in the Skymall catalog on the airplane? Someone tell me if it really works! The gadget I've never regretted buying is the handheld lime and lemon juicer. Works perfectly every time, straining as much of the juice without the seeds.

Here is another fabulous single-purpose gadget that I don't think I should live without! :)
I'm queen of the single-purpose gadgets, and I got this for Christmas. It works, though I've only used it once. The husband keeps insisting on putting all my gadgets away, so out of sight, out of mind. But that reminds me, I should pull that out :lol:
The gadget that I'm always tempted by is the Hot-Diggety Dogger-- you know the bun and weiner cooker that's always in the Skymall catalog on the airplane? Someone tell me if it really works!
I've been intrigued by that, but it seems like it would be hard to clean the weiner juices from the cooker.

Does it use real coffee? The in-laws have a pod system and while it makes decent coffee I can't help but worry about the plastic products that can't be recycled....

Why, yes, it uses real live coffee. It has an " insulated thermal reservoir" inside, too. Ipod not my coffee. I'm a very anti-pod person. I got an ipod one year for X-mas and left it in the box for nearly two years. My dad accused me of selling it (what a jerk!!).

Or, the alternative:

Lloyd Burgess from Masterchef has argued that freezing lobsters is a humane alternative. He said: "Live lobsters can be humanely killed by putting them in a plastic bag in the freezer for about two hours. They slowly lose consciousness and die."