Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Last night was

Green leaf lettuce and baby arugula salad topped with bacon, snow peas, avocado, shredded chicken, bacon, feta, and white wine vinaigrette

Cheddar [yellow] cauliflower with smoked gouda sauce
Salami French bread pizza

Tonight is some kind of varied salad, topped with leftover deviled eggs
Roasted pork tenderloin
Roasted baby bok choy
Leftover caulilflower in cheese sauce

We are getting an Instant Pot - those who have them, do you have a book or website where you find recipes? I've never used a pressure cooker before. For the slow cooker mode, we have a couple cookbooks (and I think more recipes will get used since the saute-beforehand step will be much easier without a separate pan).

• Like 1

An early Thanksgiving with friends:

Whole turkey breast brined with bourbon, cranberry juice, apple juice, salt and hot peppers, then roasted.

Roasted, cubed sweet potatoes with "Cajun" seasoning

Pinto beans with bacon (this was in the freezer and though an odd addition, everyone loved this)

Salad with a Caesar-like dressing with parmesean reggiano

Cheap Sauvignon Blancs

Back to real food! For the last few days we've been eating down an enchilada casserole (filling = black beans, sauteed corn, zucchini, and anaheim peppers, shredded chicken, onions, scallions, jack cheese, and red sauce). Easy and surprisingly well-received, so will probably be making it again. I also made some garlic and Parmesan spaghetti squash, but  turns out none of us like spaghetti squash :( It makes a lot so I'll be dutifully choking it down for a while. 

As is usually the case on the days I do a big grocery shopping trip, last night's dinner featured fish.  I peeled a pound of wild shrimp and poached them (with bay leaf, shallot scraps, celery, black pepper, etc.) to make a quick broth.  Then I cobbled together a few recipes to make a stew, adding tarragon and croutons from one recipe and serving with the mashed potatoes suggested in another.  I should have kept better notes on what I did, since it came out really well.

I'm still making my way through a batch of croutons I made out of stale-before-their-time bagels, so more of those accompanied the stew.  And I remembered to remove the greens from the bunches of radishes I bought before they could get slimy in the refrigerator, so those went into the escarole dish.  The basic escarole recipe is from The Babbo Cookbook, and I make it now and then when I see escarole.  This time I took some liberties and threw the greens into the roasting pan in the oven near the end of the shallots' cooking time rather than cooking them on the stovetop.

Shrimp and cod stew with tarragon seafood broth; pumpernickel croutons

Buttermilk mashed Yukon Gold potatoes with chives
Escarole and radish greens with roasted shallots

Last night was a roasted chicken with herb butter under the skin, plus red onions and carrots roasted in the same pan.  We also had Roasted Squash and Radicchio Salad With Buttermilk Dressing, a Melissa Clark recipe from the NYTimes a few days ago.  The salad came out really well.  I only used half the amount of oil the dressing called for, so the dressing was on the tangier side, but I really didn't think it needed as much oil as called for in the recipe.  I also used butternut squash, because I had some, instead of delicata.  The amount I had was just about the amount called for in the recipe and I tried to cut the pieces about the same size as the recipe. 

Nontraditional Thanksgiving dishes: long beans fried with gochujang (hot pepper paste) and chijeu-buldak (Korean fire-chicken) with broiled cheese on top, from Maangchi.  Chicken was excellent, although I should have used thigh meat instead of breasts, the fried rice cakes were also key. I think this could be modified to a vegetarian recipe by upping the rice cake to protein fraction, and using some form of soy and/or mushroom (king oyster?) instead of the chicken.

Tonight is leftovers, plus a squash "bread" (really, a cake) made with cushaw.

• Like 1

Winter salad: baby kale, roasted sweet potato, Granny Smith Apple, pecans, Grana Padano and chopped up BBQ chicken. Dressing made of maple syrup, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, tarragon.

I bought a carton of butternut squash soup that was vegan and gluten free with fairly low sodium. The brand is "Imagine." It was surprisingly decent right out of the carton, but I added some ginger garlic paste, some lemon curry powder mix I got at an Indian market, and a bit of chimichurri I had. That kicked it up and it was great with the salad.

Made a chicken noodle soup with our turkey stock and it was lovely...until the noodles sucked up most of the broth! (Yeah, I almost never make noodle soups.) Oh well, the chicken-y noodles are still pretty good and very easy for the baby to eat.

Same! Made turkey stock in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker setting), my first time making stock - turkey carcass, sweet onion, 2 carrots, thyme; then strained the broth, and put the cooked carrots through a sieve to enrich the broth, per my grandmother's chicken soup recipe. Then reheated it on the stove a few days later with noodles in it, to cook the noodles in the stock, per the turkey soup in a pressure cooker recipe I had. Ended up with barely four servings of soup (the fourth one was maybe 1/5 soup, 4/5 noodles).  Delicious noodles, but not a great way to stretch out the broth.

• Like 1

Same! Made turkey stock in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker setting), my first time making stock - turkey carcass, sweet onion, 2 carrots, thyme; then strained the broth, and put the cooked carrots through a sieve to enrich the broth, per my grandmother's chicken soup recipe. Then reheated it on the stove a few days later with noodles in it, to cook the noodles in the stock, per the turkey soup in a pressure cooker recipe I had. Ended up with barely four servings of soup (the fourth one was maybe 1/5 soup, 4/5 noodles).  Delicious noodles, but not a great way to stretch out the broth.

Heh, oops! And the broth was supposed to be the highlight of the dish! I now recall that all my favorite restaurant noodle soups add them in last minute in single servings and the soup/broth ration is fairly generous, and even then the noodles are very plump by the end of the meal. Lesson learned :)

We made a turkey pot pie out of the meat and herb leftovers and more turkey stock and it was ugly but delicious.

• Like 1

I cooked a turkey (because I didn't get much of the turkey I smoked at T'giving), I tried out the tamarind glazed turkey that's on the cover of Nov Saveur- it turns out, that even if you soak 6-7 oz of tamarind paste in 1/2 cup of boiling water, & chop it up, & try to pass it through a sieve, you get next to nothing & almost ruin a sieve. I gave up, chucked it in w/ the honey, fish sauce, & garlic, basted the turkey as directed, & while it smelled lovely, nice & sour- I don't think it made a big difference in the turkey. It sort of burned the on the skin (which I don't eat anyway, & feed to the pups), turkey was great, pulled off the meat, & have stock cooking in the Instant Pot.

Last night was spare ribs and chicken drumsticks cooked in the oven, with dry rub to start for the ribs and bbq sauce to finish for both.  Plus fried cabbage and bacon.

Tonight is the last of the turkey soup, the last of some braised lamb, more of the cabbage (but I'm adding some raisins for reheating), and flour tortillas for scooping stuff up, plus I might make a quesadilla.

Had a steak salad for lunch today and balsamic chicken is in the slow cooker for dinner.  Really liked the salad with the potatoes and the tomato vinaigrette. 

Well, for whatever reason, the slow cooker function never kicked in, even though the timer was counting down.  Fortunately, after a 3 hour marinade, the chicken tasted delicious sauteed and we had it with mashed potatoes.

Last night's breakfast for dinner:

Spinach Frittata, Kitchen Sink Version (shallots, Campari tomatoes, shredded red cabbage, bacon, roasted red pepper, and Comte cheese)

Leftover buttermilk buckwheat pancakes (Grade B maple syrup, South Mountain Creamery unsalted butter)

Home fries (Yukon Gold potatoes, onions, and roasted red peppers)

A riff on Portuguese caldo verde...a base of garlickly potatoes and chicken stock, puréed with the immersion blender, added to crumbled and fried hot chicken Italian sausage. Then I added a LOT of shredded kale, smoked paprika, salt and hot pepper. Good, but not close to the original as I could not find the correct type of chorizo in my local grocery store.

My husband smoked a beef brisket yesterday. Wow. It came out really well. He used a spice rub from the Salk Lick outside of Austin and smoked the brisket for 6 hours over mesquite chips and charcoal. (We sadly didn't make it to The Salt Lick when we were in Austin last year, but we bought the spice rub in the airport.) I was only going to have a bite of the brisket because I'm trying to watch what I eat, but I ended up eating way too much (classic). Standing in the kitchen cutting off hunks of brisket. No sides. The toddler and the dog liked the brisket, too.

Made the fish kofte and tarator sauce again last night.  The kofte did not hold together as well as they did last time, and I'm not sure what I did differently. They still tasted good, but they didn't cohere so well.  Also, more of the fried cabbage and bacon leftovers and a salad of frisee, radicchio, and feta cheese with a soy vinaigrette.

Made this baked pasta with roasted red pepper sauce, from Serious Eats.  Definitely a winner!  It was a smidge labor-intensive, but I guess you could always skip a step by buying pre-roasted peppers.  Hopefully it will reheat reasonably well, even though it is a cream sauce...

Thanks for the idea.  I used to read SE religiously but have fallen away from it in recent months.  This recipe seemed like a good template for using ingredients I had on hand, with a minimum of extra purchases.  I had a huge jar of past-their-best-by-date roasted red peppers (from Costco, natch) that I had opened a few days ago, and I figured I'd use the remainder in this.  For the tomatoes, I used already pureed ones from a jar. I was at Yes and grabbed some Italian chicken sausages, which were pre-cooked, so they went in sliced.  I rounded those out with what was left of some cooked spicy ground beef I had defrosted from the freezer for tacos.  I used Grayson and Parmesan instead of Fontina and Asiago and went heavy on the ricotta (probably twice what was called for)  I mixed heavy cream with whole milk and made my own half and half.  The casserole filled two dishes (one big and one smaller), so we'll be eating this for a while.  Given how delicious it is, we won't mind that.

Rest of the meal:

Baguette

Olive oil and balsamic for dipping
Baby romaine, radicchio and frisee salad with avocado and feta; sesame soy ginger vinaigrette

Waffles for dinner! 3 different variations on a recipe - vegan, bread flour, and all-purpose flour, for the obvious, chewy-waffle lovers, and crispy-waffle lovers. We made both sweet and savory waffles, depending on topping preference (base recipe has just a smidge of sugar) with berries, maple syrup, Log cabin (me. I love that stuff), Parmesan, chives, and prosciutto. Oh, and Kerrygold for all (except the vegan - she got coconut oil). Non-shockingly, the non-vegan waffles were much better. We'll definitely be doing this again! We only wish we got the double waffle maker for having guests over.

• Like 1

I have been throwing chicken bones into a bag in the freezer for several months, and I finally made stock. Once the stock was strained and skimmed, I used it for "chicken chili." Or, if you prefer, a Mexicanish chicken stew. I poached chicken breasts in the stock, and shredded them. I thickened the stock with a medium roux, added onions, garlic, kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans and corn. Seasoned with oregano, thyme, hot chili powder, smoked paprika and a can of diced Rotel tomatoes. It turned out really well, and is going to be welcome for the first really frigid weekend we are having!

Iceberg lettuce, Campari tomatoes, avocado, and feta; champagne-caper vinaigrette

Chicken rice soup

Cornbread

I saved the carcass from the roasted chicken we'd been eating and cooked up a quick broth yesterday evening.  I had figured I'd supplement it with some boxed chicken broth open in the refrigerator.  It turned out that, even in the 60 - 75 minutes I simmered the broth, it developed a real good chicken flavor and color, so supplementation was not necessary.  I strained out the solids, chopped up the carrots and put them back in, and added more onion, parsley, and rice.  A short time later, soup!

I made this butternut squash rigatoni recipe last night.  It came out great.  I made a few adjustments (i.e., using open chicken broth instead of vegetable stock, omitting the rosemary garnish), but it seems like a pretty solid recipe as is.

We've been overdoing it a bit on pasta and rice lately, so they're probably off the menu for a while...after we finish these leftovers.

Last night I made a variation of Emeril Lagasse's oyster stew (I made it more into a chowder as I added carrots and corn), it turned out really nice.  We also had shrimp cocktail.

The night before I made shrimp over rice in a tomato sauce with capers, white wine, garlic, butter and green beans.

I still have more shrimp and oysters, I think it's the last night Matt will put up with shrimp so I am going to vacuum seal and freeze the rest.